Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

I worked winters which this company allowed me to do
Drilling Administrator (field) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Company pays well.
You really need to know someone to get into this company
Since the oil industry has taken a downturn I have not worked with Cenovus
High Productivity
Process & De-oiling Area Technician (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB11 May 2017
Cenovus has a good work culture and high professionalism within its ranks. That is shown by low SOR, and industry-leading safety standards. However, it needs to maintain its experienced staff which will be vital for next up turn ( prevent attrition).
Very well managed and great team work place environment
Project Cost Controls (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 May 2017
Nisku Cenovus was very well managed and a very effective work place. Team management played a huge factor in the production and cost savings in the company. Great environment to work in.
Pros
team environment, good salary, good management
Cons
long hours, no job security
Good Overall
Petroleum Engineering Summer Inrtern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2017
Good environment, friendly staff, competitive internship pay. I learned a lot while here and the environment was friendly and inviting. It was a pleasure to work there
Do not practice what they preach
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2017
If you get a great manager or VP you will be in a happy place. If you get a bad manager or VP look out. Run mostly by men that promote other men. No work life balance. They work the people that are knowledgeable to the bone. If you have more education or work experience than others then you are kept down due to insecurities. Do not promote and no employee development. Salaries and bonus are good.
Cons
no work life balance
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek16 April 2017
I enjoyed my time with them and camps as well as food was great, team I had the pleasure of working with were great also. Management team was solid and knowledgeable.
Great Experience
Project/Program Coordinator/Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2017
I sure enjoyed the culture at this company. The job was challenging and I learned a lot from my time here.

The management styles were different and here were many departments involved with the program I worked on.
Pros
hours were flexible
Cons
was a contractor, would rather have been and employee
Improving
Foster Creek Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB11 April 2017
Reasonable company all around. Would work for them again if the opportunity arises. Recent restructuring seems to have aligned the company in a more functional manner.
Excellent coworkers
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
Cenovus gave me an opportunity to use my skills in a richly varied workplace. The workplace had many opportunities for improvements in both the industrial manufacturing processes and the organizational effectiveness processes.
Engineering and operations individuals and teams were dedicated to helping the company improve. This made for a good workplace.
The challenge as I see it is that many individuals in supervisory and management roles were promoted for the wrong reasons. There was a predominance of individuals who wanted to both be experts and have authority. The Harvard Business Review warns that this is a dangerous situation.
Pros
Lots of problems to solve. Dedicated coworkers
Cons
Management had unclear expectations, methods of communication and implementation
Faced paced work with good chance for advancement
Assistant Engineer, Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Steam/Water Reuse22 March 2017
Face paced challenging work environment
Good opportunities for advancement with the addition of new phases to the plant
Great coworkers.
great company to work for.
HSE Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
The company is trying to change the safety culture. I have spent the last few month in various divisions. Overall, Its a great place to work and the people are great as well.
Earthworks Advisors who report to head office only care about keeping themselves out of trouble
Contract Earthworks Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pelican Lake and Foster Creek Projects16 March 2017
The contract earthworks advisors at pelican lake and foster creek who report to head office about the daily field activities only care about keeping themselves out of trouble. Be careful, they are quick to point fingers and lay blame on others if they get put into a situation that makes them uncomfortable.
Average workplace environment, little leadership
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 March 2017
Work/life balance was hard to narrow down for this one. This position was located on site to which Cenovus did not provide any air transport too, instead relying on workers to drive to site direct and only arriving at a specified time as to not create a traffic jam on the roads.

Work days were long due to the amount which in itself is not bad, but management had no real leadership to get the disciplines under control, therefore certain agenda items may be pushed back in favor of more urgent ones which was fine, but people were "silo'd" in the work they did and rarely would get back to the original agenda items, leaving them sometimes not to be handled at all.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Long hours.
excellent place to work
Tank farm operator (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek, AB27 February 2017
Fantastic company to work for, great pay and treated their contractors fairly. The position was a camp position and the camp was clean and comfortable and the food was good there. Busing was provided to and from camp, as well as from a depot to camp.
Pros
excellent pay
Productive,
Mechanical Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB9 February 2017
Cenovus was a great company to work for. Very busy every day on shift. I did learn lots with Cenovus, mostly in a management position, The overall culture was awesome until the downturn of the oil sector. Attitudes at end of the job were negative as we try to keep the morel up with the workers. Knowing that the new construction was almost over and learning that my part of the job was closing was very hard. I loved working for Cenovus . The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that the workers were safe each day and they were happy.
Pros
Great people
Cons
New construction always ends
Great project to be a part of
Thermal Operator (Former Employee) –  Pelican Lake, AB24 January 2017
Great support from engineering team and the ability to actively participate in the research development heavy oil plays.

Excellent management team especially on the thermal side

Risk based safety culture that met and addressed safety needs while providing a framework in which productivity and efficiency could be maintained.

Calgary team was able to provide the tools necessary to meet the objective.
one of the greatest work environment
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
this company is the best company in my IT career. I wished to retire in this company. they support good life and work balance. good work environment. good management.
just a number
Operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB20 January 2017
This company knows that the current economic times are to their advantage and use that leverage well when dealing with employees. They don't mind taking more and more away from those who create the wealth because they know there are 1000 resumes a month coming in. Management at both the site and Calgary level are disconnected with the field sites and the actual operations issues plus site moral. This was the company to work for, that is no longer the case as it lags with compensation and long term focus sustainability. Too many managers worried about stock performance and not focused on production equipment or people as assets.
Pros
its a job
Cons
management short sighted.
Great company at the beginning.......
Surface Lease Analyst - A&D (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Fun company to work for when I started but when oil prices started to drop, it became quite cut throat.

Wish everyone well that survived the last job cuts.
Pros
Perks
Good place to work.
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek26 December 2016
Good place to work. Work life balance is used is available when convenient. Salary is in step with the industry. Safety culture is talked and walked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.