Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

great place to work
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABApril 19, 2016
They were a pretty company to work for, for the time I was there.
Seemed liked they cared about their employees and safety a lot
focused workplace
(PEIMS) Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2016
the main goal was to achieve schedule on time and on budget safely. a good team environment where everyone was wanting to help each other out.
Overall a good place to work
Senior Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 9, 2016
Cenovus prides itself on being a top employer, providing competitive salaries and benefits. Management promotes a healthy & safe work environment.
Good Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, ABApril 1, 2016
I was asked to set up their login process for people to swipe their cards I would monitor the manpower count sheet each morning as to how many people were on site at any given time.
Co-Workers were great to work with we worked on a mod yard I was in the main building and in there were about 25 other employees we all worked well together.
Hardest part of the job were the hours - very long days.
Most enjoyable was the experience of learning something new and also management were really good to get along with.
Cenovus - decent company
Cost Control Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
A good place to work with great salary/benefits but growth horizontal/vertical is limited.Management doesn't look solid as they keep on making lots of changes.
Excellent
Summer Legal Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
Excellent company to work for and extremely helpful employees allowed me to have a great summer researching for the legal department. Their ability to include a summer student in day-to-day activities within the legal group as well as the other areas of Cenovus Energy allowed me an incredible opportunity to gain first hand knowledge and experience.
At Cenovus Energy, Foster Creek, the safety of the people always came first.
CMT E&I Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek, Cold Lake Air Weapons RangeFebruary 28, 2016
Cenovus Energy at Foster Creek is one of the very few companies I have ever worked for that put the safety of the workforce first. No matter the crisis of the day, the scheduled milestones, or the downturn of the economy, the directive was always ensure the safety of the people.
Pros
Very approachable management team.
Cons
Economic downturn
Great potential
Business Analyst/SharePoint Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2016
This company started out with great potential and applied innovation and know how to become the low cost producer it is today. Sadly world events outside of it's control are now creating extraordinary challenges that will have to be overcome in the very near future.
A great place to work before the downturn happened.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
Solid management and corporate culture. The way the cuts and pending cuts are being handled does not align with the corporate strategy from the past. Low internal moral at moment.
Good working environment
ASSET DATA TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2016
Cenovus has good work/life balance however the long term planning seems to be lacking. The critical feedback provided by key experienced people goes in vain.
Pros
Great team to work with.
Great opportunity to learn and grow your career
Private Information (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Great opportunity to learn and grow your career, exposed to all facets of the company and the industry. Recommend employer.
A good place to work.
Civil Earthworks consultant (Former Employee) –  Christina lake plantFebruary 2, 2016
Cenovus is a company going through growing pains.

There hiring process is terrible for positions in Calgary and in the field. The employee turn around is enormous. 23 people were hired and fired in my 5 years at my location.

They have personnel over seeing projects and subordinates with less to no experience in the fields they were hired to over see.
Pros
great work schedule
Cons
corporate support and hiring process
Enjoyed my time with Cenovus.
Cenovus Energy Plant operator Steam and water (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABJanuary 20, 2016
As with most companies that are expanding. Cenovus is having it shares of growing pains. I found management to be more interested in perception and what so and so said rather than results. Cenovus needs to concentrate more on results rather than here say. Stick with the facts. Over all I enjoyed my time there. I feel that the direction that they want to move in is probably in the right way. They need to get a better grip on junior managers and coordinators. Too many good people walking out the door and Cenovus not taking exit interviews to heart. I would recommend working for Cenovus but would wait until oil comes back. I feel the company managers and 46 Vice presidents do not realize that they are indeed top heavy.
The thing I enjoyed about working there was definitely the people. Loved my Co Workers but during the bust period of oil, people are not doing work in fear of making mistakes so the responsibility is falling on the older work force to get the day to day stuff done. Younger mentality is if I don't do it I won't get blamed if it goes wrong. I should note that I was let go due to restructuring(honestly it was due health - don't get sick at Cenovus). It honestly was a relief. I was overworked and when unable to complete tasks do to the heavy workload time management on my part was always the question. This lead to heavy amounts of stress on my and my family in such a way that my health suffered. At the end of the day Health before wealth. I would rather work for minimum wage with friends and family by my side then making gobs of money and alone. This is a question
  more... anyone should make getting into camp life. Too many suicides in the oilfield in general because they felt trapped. Like I said after the initial shock of being let go subsided I felt a huge weight be lifted off my shoulders. I will be for ever grateful for Cenovus giving me the opportunity to work with them. But never again will I put my self in that toxic environment. I want to believe that they will get better but it is up to Snr management in Calgary to take the power from Coordinators and leads in the field. Listen to your people they are you greatest asset. And as you move up in the company those below you should be your first concern because they will through their hard work push you up higher.  less
Pros
Nice camp enviroment, Great Co workers, At least the ones you can trust and that crowd was getting smaller as time went on.
Cons
Certain Departments are overworked while others are underutalized, Lead to heavy amounts of stress and burnout
Very relaxed place to work with an excess of employees.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Cenovus is well known as the "Country Club" of energy companies in downtown Calgary for good reason. Work/life balance is paramount and overstaffing is how this is accomplished. Great place at the end of a career for a relaxed lifestyle but lacking opportunity for learning in early career.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Lacking opportunity for learning/advancement
Company prides itself for being a fair and equitable employer. I found this to be true.
analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Typically begin work around 7 AM and leave around 5 PM. Good working environment, Employees are energetic and focused. Senior management focus is now on strategic planning with emphasis on sales and marketing of oil as opposed to the production of oil. This change in strategic thinking will serve the company better in the future.
Pros
Great working enviroment, good competative pay, good long term incentives
Cons
long work hrs
Understanding
A/P Clerk/ Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Pelican Lake, ABDecember 17, 2015
Worked in a camp setting for a week in and a week out but when it came to my child they understood the meaning of family. They were very supportive and gave good opportunities for improvement.
Pros
Camp Setting
Cons
Away from family
Productive and competative work environment
Maintenance Supervisor, Field Accommodations (Current Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABNovember 27, 2015
Excellent place to better you financial situation and focus on work. Out of town in camp lifestyle allots little distractions.

Very mentally demanding and extreme excellence in safety.
Pros
Free everything
Cons
Not home every night
excellent
Coordinator, Field Accommodations (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 21, 2015
This was one of the most rewarding and educational experiences i have had.

The company walks their talk with regards to safety and environmental stewardship and does its best to to do right by its contractors and employees.
Drilling Superintendent in several areas.
Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
I ran operations for several areas
I learned a great deal more about Manage Pressure drilling and SAGD wells.
Management was a revolving door.
My co-workers were great.
The most challenging was drilling high pressure well and getting the liners set.
The most enjoyable were the good people I worked with and the great people in the field.
Pros
The safety culture.
Cons
The anount of drilling managers we had.
Fast paced & enjoyable atmosphere
Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek, ABNovember 5, 2015
Your ideas are heard with this company and usually executed. Great co-workers. Knowledgeable management. High quality work place safety culture. Nice camp accommodations.
Pros
Camp style accommodations