Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyed my time with Cenovus.
Cenovus Energy Plant operator Steam and water (Former Employee), Christina Lake, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Nice camp enviroment, Great Co workers, At least the ones you can trust and that crowd was getting smaller as time went on.
Cons: Certain Departments are overworked while others are underutalized, Lead to heavy amounts of stress and burnout
As with most companies that are expanding. Cenovus is having it shares of growing pains. I found management to be more interested in perception and what so and so said rather than results. Cenovus needs to concentrate more on results rather than here say. Stick with the facts. Over all I enjoyed my time there. I feel that the direction that they want to move in is probably in the right way. They need to get a better grip on junior managers and coordinators. Too many good people walking out the door and Cenovus not taking exit interviews to heart. I would recommend working for Cenovus but would wait until oil comes back. I feel the company managers and 46 Vice presidents do not realize that they are indeed top heavy.
The thing I enjoyed about working there was definitely the people. Loved my Co Workers but during the bust period of oil, people are not doing work in fear of making mistakes so the responsibility is falling on the older work force to get the day to day stuff done. Younger mentality is if I don't do it I won't get blamed if it goes wrong. I should note that I was let go due to restructuring(honestly it was due health - don't get sick at Cenovus). It honestly was a relief. I was overworked and when unable to complete tasks do to the heavy workload time management on my part was always the question. This lead to heavy amounts of stress on my and my family in such a way that my health suffered. At the end of the day Health before wealth. I would rather work for minimum wage with friends and family by my side then making gobs of money and alone. This is a question – more... anyone should make getting into camp life. Too many suicides in the oilfield in general because they felt trapped. Like I said after the initial shock of being let go subsided I felt a huge weight be lifted off my shoulders. I will be for ever grateful for Cenovus giving me the opportunity to work with them. But never again will I put my self in that toxic environment. I want to believe that they will get better but it is up to Snr management in Calgary to take the power from Coordinators and leads in the field. Listen to your people they are you greatest asset. And as you move up in the company those below you should be your first concern because they will through their hard work push you up higher. – less
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great Work Environment
Responsible for managing content management initiatives for business clients within the organization using the OpenText and Content Server platforms (programs). This initiatives can take the form of projects, working on defining or reevaluating content management procedures and standards within the organization.

● Working with external technical staff to implement business focused content management solutions.
● Gathering and documenting business requirements; working with technical staff to ensure that the design matches acceptance criteria; managing UAT(User Acceptance Testing) and the final delivery of small projects and small enhancements.
● Working to improve operational efficiencies delivering and reporting on content management services both within the team and to clients.
● Quickly understand the business issues and data challenges of the organization and industry.
● Provide time estimates to my project manager to set budget.
● I lead testing efforts for the small projects and small enhancements I am involved in
● I ensure issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner.
● Work with client personnel to identify required changes.
● Communicate needed changes to development team.
● Facilitation of team and client meetings.
● Exhibiting confidence and an extensive knowledge of emerging industry practices when solving business problems.
● Pushing creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry practices and client mindsets
Engaging work culture
Sr. Staff, Training & Implementation (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Diversity of work oppportunites and advancement
Cons: Decision making by Senior Leadership $$ over value for $$
Cenovus Energy had an engaging work culture that fostered innovation, new ideas and solution based approaches to problem solving. Until the energy industry downturn, Cenovus was an exciting company full of promise, investing in its employees and an encouraging positive work environment. The company is changing and will become a shadow of its former self through attrition, layoffs and forced early retirements of its talented workforce. The current work environment is tense at best and will remain so through to at least spring of 2016.
I enjoyed a positive work environment while I was employed. The staff were always supportive of one another and we created a family atmosphere during my employment. My direct supervisor was one of the best (I can safely attest) I have had in my 35+ years in the industry. Co-workers were like family and we worked hard to perform to our leaderships expectations.
The most difficult aspect of the job was trying to understand senior leaderships decisions in hiring, promotions and recognition of the workforces achievements (ie: promoting or hiring leaders in the Safety realm which had no prior experience in the field).
I will miss the camaraderie, daily laughter and family atmosphere that the Central Services team shared with each other.
Over-all a fun place to work and very rewarding to my personal development. I will miss the people the most at Cenovus.
fast paced enviroment
Lead Technical Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2015
Pros: good teams
Cons: poor management
I worked alongside the Change, Request, Incident, Managers on Continual Service Improvement strategies for training both in process and technical tools.
Co-authored Process Documentation for all implemented ITIL Processes
Worked with The Request Fulfillment Manager to define the process
Consulted with the creation of the end user service catalogue
Consulted with the creation of the end user IT to IT service catalog
Created the Templates for all Role based Policies, Processes and Procedures as well as Service Desk Scripts
Consulted with project managers, process owners and project teams to identify and define business processes
Training Coordinator for all in house and third party vendors in ITIL process training creating, facilitating, reporting and overseeing all training materials, presentations, documentation
Created role based scenario training materials and demonstrations
Facilitated training for all of the active Processes as well as ServiceNow ITSM application training for in house and third party vendors
Participated in weekly training working group
Wonderful enviroment, great experience, provides all the comforts of home, fitness equip and programs are excellent
Office Assistant-Particum (Former Employee), Christina LakeMarch 26, 2013
Pros: people, accomplishment, food, gym, accomadations, entertainment for after hours
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work started at 6:00 am. The enviroment was warm, friendly and inviting. I greeted clients as they came in the door. Helped them to get through Orientation and back to work as fast as we could. Part of my job was making sure everyone left with a smile. I facilitated the Orientation and Safety classes and entered clients on spreadsheet.
I learned what certifications were required by the Company for all incoming contractors, what departments to enter clients under, and it was important to know Department Leads and where to find them.
Management was open, helpful, and caring. My co-workers were warm, friendly, patient, and knowledgeable.
The hardest part of this job was getting up in the morning. I grew accustom to the hours and it was a little easier.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the fulfillment it gave me to be part of a working team. My self-esteem and self-worth grew as I worked hard to do my part.
It was a great learning experience for me.
Cenovus Energy
E/I Engineering Tech (Current Employee), Foster Creek facility.September 20, 2014
Pros: real world construction experience, tons of interacting with the contracts dept.
Cons: being away from home.
I worked at the Foster Creek facility on the construction of phase F and G dealing with engineering and construction issues as they came up, great way to tie my design engineering experience with real world construction at a major facility across all disciplines.

An average day is chaotic, lots of interacting with the other engineering disciplines and departments, the engineering team (located in another city) and the contractors doing the work.

It was a young management team, I don't know if I learned alot, but it was invigorating. My co-workers were awesome, definately some bright minds.

The most difficult part of the job was meeting/preparing for the changes in schedule, time lines changed daily, almost hourly. I am must more organized and so it was a challenge.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the young engineers and techs, all of them were smart and had positive attitudes. I enjoyed putting together the scorecards and progressing reports for the work that was completed.
Terrible New Grad Program
New Grad (Current Employee), CalgaryOctober 24, 2014
Pros: 1st and 3rd friday off
Cons: no development
- Terrible New Grad Program compare to peers. TAKE ANOTHER OFFER and WALK AWAY! Do not waste your first 5 years of career development with this company!
- The positive cultures are changing. CVE hired a ton of bad leads/managers in the last 2-3 years.
- Zero career development, no development support from your leads/managers. They just DO NOT CARE.
- New grad committee controls your life. Your career goal means nothing to them. They randomly rotates new grads into different roles without considering people's preferences or wants. Majority of the members on the committee don't even talk to you or know your face. Good luck trying to get into the group you want.
- CVE over hired and now they do not know what to do with their new grads.
- NO EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. Engineering New Grads> Geologist > Finance > HR > Summer Students > Accounting. So if you are an accounting new grad, PICK ANOTHER COMPANY OR FIRM!
Productive working environment with excellent camp facilities.
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee), Bonnyville, ABFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: great camp facilities (food, recreation, etc.)
Cons: wasn't allowed outside due its location in a wildlife preserve.
Typical day started at 6:00a and ended at 5:30p. Work was always interesting and constant. Construction Reps and Management were co-operative and accommodating. They answered any questions I had which satisfied my inquisitive personality. Hardest part of the job for me was stopping at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interesting people I came in contact with and the good friends I made.
Company prides itself for being a fair and equitable employer. I found this to be true.
analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Pros: Great working enviroment, good competative pay, good long term incentives
Cons: long work hrs
Typically begin work around 7 AM and leave around 5 PM. Good working environment, Employees are energetic and focused. Senior management focus is now on strategic planning with emphasis on sales and marketing of oil as opposed to the production of oil. This change in strategic thinking will serve the company better in the future.
A very balanced and respectful IT organization
Project Delivery Manager, IT PMO (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Balanced work-life balance expectations
Cons: Lengthy decision-making process
Cenovus' IT was serviced by approximately 80% contract resources, and even though this might in some circumstances introduce a culture of multiple personal agendas, did not prove to be this way. The leadership was equally respectful of both the needs and expectations of employees and contractors, making this a very good organization to work with.
Best Job I ever had
I.T. Analyst - Contractor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: it was a temporary job
Creating processes for document control
Create website for Continuous Improvement
Create marketing systems for efficiency

Best management staff I've ever encountered...I don't say that lightly
Management exposed me to the finer details that are above just the work tasks of doing a set of processes

Best part...people were available for addressing questions which helps to motivate a job well done
Drilling Superintendent in several areas.
Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
Pros: The safety culture.
Cons: The anount of drilling managers we had.
I ran operations for several areas
I learned a great deal more about Manage Pressure drilling and SAGD wells.
Management was a revolving door.
My co-workers were great.
The most challenging was drilling high pressure well and getting the liners set.
The most enjoyable were the good people I worked with and the great people in the field.
A good place to work.
Civil Earthworks consultant (Former Employee), Christina lake plantFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: great work schedule
Cons: corporate support and hiring process
Cenovus is a company going through growing pains.

There hiring process is terrible for positions in Calgary and in the field. The employee turn around is enormous. 23 people were hired and fired in my 5 years at my location.

They have personnel over seeing projects and subordinates with less to no experience in the fields they were hired to over see.
Loved this position
Site Quality Assurance/QC Administrator (Former Employee), Christina LakeMarch 5, 2015
A typical day of work at Dene Iron was dealing with new hires, submitting lems to the client and carrying out any duties within the office. Mechanical Turnovers were submitted at the end of the job to its fullest and complete standards.I enjoyed this job because of the people that surrounded me, and the hardest part was keeping up with the hires as they came and went.
Very relaxed place to work with an excess of employees.
Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: Work/life balance
Cons: Lacking opportunity for learning/advancement
Cenovus is well known as the "Country Club" of energy companies in downtown Calgary for good reason. Work/life balance is paramount and overstaffing is how this is accomplished. Great place at the end of a career for a relaxed lifestyle but lacking opportunity for learning in early career.
Best of class in synergy
Senior Web Architect (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: organization of it resources
Cons: compensation a tad low
I participated in the large project to split Encana and Cenovus. Subsequently remained to sort out the Cenovus resources and assets. What a fine tuned IT organization. All the IT staff became and will remain my friends.

Compensation was a tad low, but I stayed because I wanted to.
Excellent site assignment, good camp facilities, and good people
DCS Site Support Specialist (Former Employee), Cold Lake, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: great site assignment
Cons: two week on two week o.ff rotation was a little long
Good balance between PLC work and Honeywell DCS work. The other members of the team were good at their job and easy to work with. There was a feeling of comradery and being a valuable part of the group.
Environmentally Sustainable Workplace, Respectful
Quality Assurance Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: every first and third friday off
Cons: contract status would prefer permanent status
Diversity of work responsibilities is the best part of this job. I enjoy the many opportunities for computer software and oil sands related training. My co-workers are helpful and respectful.
Great company, just issues with progressing throughout career
Operator (Current Employee), BrooksAugust 30, 2014
Pros: some free lunches, great bonuses
Cons: progression
Maintain processing reliability and product quality in the plant while optimizing production volumes in a safe environment
Prepare equipment for maintenance in a safe and efficient manner
Monitor equipment and process parameters
Good company, good benefits
Process Plant Relief Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
Pros: Excellent team members on crews.
Cons: time spent travelling to and from work
Good crews to work with, given opportunities to take on more responsibilities, teamwork strongly emphasized, The drawback was the long commute to work daily, almost 4 hrs spent travelling after a 12 hour shift.
Industry