Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

A good place to work.
Civil Earthworks consultant (Former Employee) –  Christina lake plantFebruary 2, 2016
Cenovus is a company going through growing pains.

There hiring process is terrible for positions in Calgary and in the field. The employee turn around is enormous. 23 people were hired and fired in my 5 years at my location.

They have personnel over seeing projects and subordinates with less to no experience in the fields they were hired to over see.
Pros
great work schedule
Cons
corporate support and hiring process
Enjoyed my time with Cenovus.
Cenovus Energy Plant operator Steam and water (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABJanuary 20, 2016
As with most companies that are expanding. Cenovus is having it shares of growing pains. I found management to be more interested in perception and what so and so said rather than results. Cenovus needs to concentrate more on results rather than here say. Stick with the facts. Over all I enjoyed my time there. I feel that the direction that they want to move in is probably in the right way. They need to get a better grip on junior managers and coordinators. Too many good people walking out the door and Cenovus not taking exit interviews to heart. I would recommend working for Cenovus but would wait until oil comes back. I feel the company managers and 46 Vice presidents do not realize that they are indeed top heavy.
The thing I enjoyed about working there was definitely the people. Loved my Co Workers but during the bust period of oil, people are not doing work in fear of making mistakes so the responsibility is falling on the older work force to get the day to day stuff done. Younger mentality is if I don't do it I won't get blamed if it goes wrong. I should note that I was let go due to restructuring(honestly it was due health - don't get sick at Cenovus). It honestly was a relief. I was overworked and when unable to complete tasks do to the heavy workload time management on my part was always the question. This lead to heavy amounts of stress on my and my family in such a way that my health suffered. At the end of the day Health before wealth. I would rather work for minimum wage with friends and family by my side then making gobs of money and alone. This is a question
  more... anyone should make getting into camp life. Too many suicides in the oilfield in general because they felt trapped. Like I said after the initial shock of being let go subsided I felt a huge weight be lifted off my shoulders. I will be for ever grateful for Cenovus giving me the opportunity to work with them. But never again will I put my self in that toxic environment. I want to believe that they will get better but it is up to Snr management in Calgary to take the power from Coordinators and leads in the field. Listen to your people they are you greatest asset. And as you move up in the company those below you should be your first concern because they will through their hard work push you up higher.  less
Pros
Nice camp enviroment, Great Co workers, At least the ones you can trust and that crowd was getting smaller as time went on.
Cons
Certain Departments are overworked while others are underutalized, Lead to heavy amounts of stress and burnout
Very relaxed place to work with an excess of employees.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Cenovus is well known as the "Country Club" of energy companies in downtown Calgary for good reason. Work/life balance is paramount and overstaffing is how this is accomplished. Great place at the end of a career for a relaxed lifestyle but lacking opportunity for learning in early career.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Lacking opportunity for learning/advancement
Company prides itself for being a fair and equitable employer. I found this to be true.
analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2015
Typically begin work around 7 AM and leave around 5 PM. Good working environment, Employees are energetic and focused. Senior management focus is now on strategic planning with emphasis on sales and marketing of oil as opposed to the production of oil. This change in strategic thinking will serve the company better in the future.
Pros
Great working enviroment, good competative pay, good long term incentives
Cons
long work hrs
Understanding
A/P Clerk/ Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Pelican Lake, ABDecember 17, 2015
Worked in a camp setting for a week in and a week out but when it came to my child they understood the meaning of family. They were very supportive and gave good opportunities for improvement.
Pros
Camp Setting
Cons
Away from family
Productive and competative work environment
Maintenance Supervisor, Field Accommodations (Current Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABNovember 27, 2015
Excellent place to better you financial situation and focus on work. Out of town in camp lifestyle allots little distractions.

Very mentally demanding and extreme excellence in safety.
Pros
Free everything
Cons
Not home every night
excellent
Coordinator, Field Accommodations (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 21, 2015
This was one of the most rewarding and educational experiences i have had.

The company walks their talk with regards to safety and environmental stewardship and does its best to to do right by its contractors and employees.
Drilling Superintendent in several areas.
Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
I ran operations for several areas
I learned a great deal more about Manage Pressure drilling and SAGD wells.
Management was a revolving door.
My co-workers were great.
The most challenging was drilling high pressure well and getting the liners set.
The most enjoyable were the good people I worked with and the great people in the field.
Pros
The safety culture.
Cons
The anount of drilling managers we had.
Fast paced & enjoyable atmosphere
Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek, ABNovember 5, 2015
Your ideas are heard with this company and usually executed. Great co-workers. Knowledgeable management. High quality work place safety culture. Nice camp accommodations.
Pros
Camp style accommodations
Engaging work culture
Sr. Staff, Training & Implementation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 16, 2015
Cenovus Energy had an engaging work culture that fostered innovation, new ideas and solution based approaches to problem solving. Until the energy industry downturn, Cenovus was an exciting company full of promise, investing in its employees and an encouraging positive work environment. The company is changing and will become a shadow of its former self through attrition, layoffs and forced early retirements of its talented workforce. The current work environment is tense at best and will remain so through to at least spring of 2016.
I enjoyed a positive work environment while I was employed. The staff were always supportive of one another and we created a family atmosphere during my employment. My direct supervisor was one of the best (I can safely attest) I have had in my 35+ years in the industry. Co-workers were like family and we worked hard to perform to our leaderships expectations.
The most difficult aspect of the job was trying to understand senior leaderships decisions in hiring, promotions and recognition of the workforces achievements (ie: promoting or hiring leaders in the Safety realm which had no prior experience in the field).
I will miss the camaraderie, daily laughter and family atmosphere that the Central Services team shared with each other.
Over-all a fun place to work and very rewarding to my personal development. I will miss the people the most at Cenovus.
Pros
Diversity of work oppportunites and advancement
Cons
Decision making by Senior Leadership $$ over value for $$
Not as good as it was 5 years ago.
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB.October 15, 2015
Used to be a great place to work, but since the price of oil has tanked, cutbacks are huge. Important jobs have been cut, with still too much management influence.
Pros
Benefits, wages and most co-workers.
Cons
Management, as in Top Brass has a huge disconnect with the workers.
A very balanced and respectful IT organization
Project Delivery Manager, IT PMO (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 14, 2015
Cenovus' IT was serviced by approximately 80% contract resources, and even though this might in some circumstances introduce a culture of multiple personal agendas, did not prove to be this way. The leadership was equally respectful of both the needs and expectations of employees and contractors, making this a very good organization to work with.
Pros
Balanced work-life balance expectations
Cons
Lengthy decision-making process
Excellent firm to work for
Construction Supervisor (Current Employee) –  AlbertaAugust 15, 2015
Excellent employer who truly care for their staff. Safety is a top priority with the firm. Cenovus rewards those who give themselves loyalty to the company.
Excellent place to work
Manager - IT Project Management Office (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 5, 2015
Complete autonomy and excellent work culture with low politics. It is a great place to work and do business with a strong people culture
fast paced and busy
Construction Operations superintendent (Former Employee) –  foster creekJuly 1, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Cenovus . Its a great place to work and make a living for my family but most important workers safety is #1
Great managers
Rig Coordinator/Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Telephone and Christina Lake projectsMay 29, 2015
Open atmosphere.
Management open to new ideas, pleasure to work with.
Co-workers enjoy coming to work, open discussion on going regarding safety and production savings.
Pros
Excellent management in Calgary
great company
drilling consultant (Current Employee) –  foster creek ABMay 25, 2015
always had help when needed great company and team to work for, great work environment, great support from both field office and calagry
Good place to work, too long of bus-ride, camp life not good
Operations (Former Employee) –  Foster CreekMay 21, 2015
Great pay, good job security, well set-up procedures and document control, lockouts etc very well organized. Well structured company throughout business and daily routines. Was a 1.5hr daily busride one-way to site, too long, difficulty work/life balance.
Good culture
3rd class power engineer (Former Employee) –  Christina LakeApril 9, 2015
Cenovus has a good culture. Safety, teamwork etc. Cenovus is a great place to work everyone has a good attitude. The benefits and pay are excellent as well as the camp accommodations.
Started good, ended poorly
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cold LakeApril 3, 2015
All I can say is that there were alot of changes taking place within the companies safety department. Some good, some bad.