Celanese

Celanese Employee Reviews

Strong Union, weak management, equals chaos!
Maintenance Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2016
In 17 years of Pipefitting I've never worked at a plant that was managed completely from the bottom up. The turn over rate was unreal in the staff positions. For example, in under 8 years I saw 5 maintenance managers, 7 foreman/supervisors, 5 HR managers and even 4 plant managers all come and go. Most of the lower level supervisors were simply fired, and the rest would quit after only a few months to a year! The result was a plant that became completely dependent on the maintenance workers and operations to run the plant and "guide/coach" the latest batch of management. It was total chaos, mostly reactive maintenance, as there were no competent people in the planning and scheduling departments, until the union took over those positions as well (high turn over rate here too)! The only benefit to working here was the strong Union and close nit relationships my coworkers had with each other. If you're a manager or supervisor, or even someone looking for a "staff" job (non-Union) avoid this place like the plague! You'll thank me.
Pros
Good wages and lots of OT due to inept management
Cons
Management turn over, and lack of any leadership whatsoever
Celanese EVA is horrible for staff, good for union and management
Technical specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton EVA10 June 2016
Agree 1000% with previous reviews "Depressing" and "Verry difficult work environment". Terribly disorganized plant with old boys club management consisting of a few unqualified and clueless. Not bad if you're in management or union side, but staff is terrible. Avoid!
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Disorganized, Bad Morale
Depressing
Donkey (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2016
Most depressing place I have ever worked for. Employees are bitter
Shop hasn't changed since the plant was built in the 50's
It's like there is a dark cloud hanging over this place on a 101 avenue
(Just to be clear)
You can feel it when you cross thru the turnstile to go into the Plant area ! It's like stepping back into the 1950's !

And the Safety is about the same. Anything goes until something goes wrong and then they make you look like a Donkey
Pros
good pay
Cons
not good enough pay for the environment
Very safe company to work for
specialiste en service techniquees (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC27 January 2016
good environment, nice people, clean production place, professional
and very helpful people, flexible work hours, very safe place to work
connection to the clients
Many good qualities
Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2015
Company closed the facilities due to external business factors. It offered a good work environment for most the twenty years I was there.
Great Company to work for.
Rotating Equipment Millwright (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2014
I moved through many different positions within my 18 years at Celanese,
starting at the security gate and ending as a Red Seal Interprovincial Millwright. The company was very family oriented with many different functions for young and old alike. Even today there is a group that is on Facebook and others that meet and talk about old times before the plant shutdown in 2006.
Pros
personnel were looked after
Cons
none.
Excellent Company Unfortunately not much left of firm in Canada
Superviseur de collection pour six divisions (Former Employee) –  Montreal4 July 2014
Started as order desk clerk and promoted to accounts receivable
supervisor and eventually credit officer.

Received my basic training from senior credit manager who
handled the position for 45 years

Enjoyed working with all staff members from five divisions.
Had direct contact with 100 of the 500 head office employees in five
divisions along with managers from 10 plants.
Pros
everything was positive
Cons
The salaries were low compared to industry standards
great place to work - great people, many friends
Manager, Risk & Fleet (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 March 2014
Would still like to work there but company was bought out.
great environment and fun to go to work
awesome place to work was part of the fire team
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2014
worked bale press
work machines
always was up grading skills
was part of the OH&S
Pros
an awesome place to work, the family events after work
Cons
it closed down
Unsure of job security
Packer1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2014
Not sure where you stand for job security. Job description and tasks have to be addressed when first starting the career path. The leads and co-workers are great to work with. Management has to be more involved in day to day operations. They ask for jobs to be done but are not in the world of the operators. Leads and operators try their best with the conditions and equipment they have to work with.
Verry difficult work environment
Technical specialist performance polymers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada13 March 2013
Demanding and thankless place to work. Equipment and processes for the most part are archaic and poorly maintained. Hard core union with entrenched entitlement mindset. Professional staff is treated poorly. Salary is below average. Don't even bother comparing with oil and gas.
Dallas head office is trying to wring every dollar out of the facility. Morale is poor and is partly to blame for high turnover. Successive site directors have cowtowed to the union at the expense of non union staff. The plant is an environmental disaster. Lip service to compliance and remediation only.
It is a challenge to find anything good to say about this operation. OK, location is decent. It beats going up north.
Pros
location in east edmonton
Cons
too many to list
High expectations
Distribution Warehouseperson (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2012
This financially-driven corporation has high expectations with respect to employee output. I always felt up to any challenges, including educating myself on new systems and working the extra hours needed to get the job done efficiently.
My experience with the company will always be invaluable:
- I gained important human resource skills, both interpersonal and professional, through educational offerings by the company, as well as hands-on experience.
- I learned advanced computer skills, such as the Supply Chain Management Application (specifically Extended Warehouse Management) of SAP.
- I interacted positively on a daily basis with various levels within the Supply Chain organization; from management, to truck drivers, to my team of warehouse operators.
- I successfully handled, with the help of my team, daily challenges to meet last-minute orders.
- I provided exceptional customer service with a positive, solutions-based attitude.
It is a good company to begin carrier
Process Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2012
Enjoyed working with people. A good company for beginners.
Pros
close to city
Cons
not up-to-date for my field of work.
Great money, poor enviroment
Packer 1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta27 February 2012
This company will offer you the moon then tries to stab you in the back while your looking at it.

Its a cut-throat environment, where union members are often pitted against each other or management.

Promotions are based seemingly off who you know and not what you know. Or they are non-exsistant.
Pros
great wages
Cons
poor attitude and working environment, little room for advancement