Cato Corporation Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,105 reviews
Poor management, very slow paced
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Macon, GA22 September 2017
The store manager I had was the worst. She was very two faced and most customers didn’t like her. The clothing started to no be appealing anymore to customers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Olive, NC22 September 2017
It is a nice and peaceful place to work at and gain experience with customers. Customers were always nice. My coworkers were all nice. I learned a lot.
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clyde, NC20 September 2017
I started working at the cato in waynesville/clyde north Carolina in march 2017 and i am still currently work there as of September 2017 and i absolutely love it. They treat you like family. I dont ever feel stressed at work because i know if i need help that someone will always be there to help me. Cato is a great company to work for
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks. Shorts hours. Low pay checks
Happy environment to work in
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Highland, IL20 September 2017
Very fun and relaxed place to work. We do compete with our sister stores with sales to keep things interesting. Our customers are wonderful and easy going. Management is pretty understanding and very helpful. I would say Cato Corporation is a nice company to work for if you enjoy retail.
Pros
discounts, able to buy stock
Cons
managers cannot leave the store once clocked in or have another manager there to relieve them
Store Manager.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KS20 September 2017
This was a very challenging position. Very limited staffing hours given per week. Often had to work alone until next scheduled associate came in. I did like assisting customers and repeat business. Displaying the store was fun.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Low salary.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TX20 September 2017
My duties are to make sure employees are doing any daily task that we are assigned to daily.Giving customers the best customer service, helping them with products the customers maybe interested in. At the end of the day Management and another associate will close the store.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Casheir
Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY19 September 2017
I would never work there again the employed are nice but mangerment not only a short time and went throw 2 manger they need to find out what the problem is
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alice, TX18 September 2017
Cato was a good stepping stone job. I was taught to always greet every customer that walked into the store. We were to check on every customer and make sure they were finding everything ok and were walk them into a dressing room, and hang the clothes for them.
Pros
Employe Discounts on any items in store
Cons
Manager at the time
fashion is always fun and helping others with wardrobe ideas
Fashion Coordinator / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KY15 September 2017
My experience there was not good timing for me. Not because of the corporation. There was a manager that was hired, and she just wasn't good with people at all. She didn't have any experience in handling negative personalities from unsatisfied customers. She was unprofessional most days. With my nature I did what was best for the customer & myself. Other managers were great to work with. I wanted to stay working there even though it was just minimum wage and they wanted me to move up which I did want, but I knew it would have been unhealthy for myself to work side by side with her everyday. I often think of returning now there is a new manager. That has a sweet country personality, that enjoys helping people. It is best for my family that I work for better pay over enjoying fashion for minimum wage.
Pros
commute, light traffic, fashion, dressing up everyday, and helping others to put the same into their lives
Cons
pay, benefits starting out
Great Training but Low Pay
Project Manager and Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NC15 September 2017
Pros:
-Good training if you are new to the industry
-Coworkers are very friendly, can be fun to work with
-Opportunities to experience a LOT

Cons:
-Low pay compared to industry standard
-Can feel political at times

Advice to Company:
-Provide more opportunities for sooner advancement based on merit
-Increase salaries
Excellent company
Cashier/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Conway, SC14 September 2017
I never had a problem with the company, except I think they paid poorly, because of the hard work we had to do. The company only offer insurance for dental and vision for the part time employees. We also, received a discount as an employee.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TX14 September 2017
Easy going
Learn anything new to you
Management is good
Cluture is good
Hardest part is DM dont believe sales are down
I enjoy the clothes...............
Great
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Semmes, AL14 September 2017
I love the people and atmosphere. Everyone is friendly including the people that I work with. There is always going to be someone with a smile on their welcoming the next person into the store.
Fast and slow paced. Customer service and fashion knowledge.
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, VA13 September 2017
Working at Cato is the best place to start if you want to focus on building customer service skills. The hours are usually flexible unless you are in management. Secret shop steps must be covered at all times. Always make great impressions with customers when they first work in. As a 2nd assistant manger more responsibilities with the store are added. Accessories and shoes must be organized at all times. The negative about this company is that they do not pay enough for so much responsibility and still have unnecessary paperwork to do every night.
stressful
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TX12 September 2017
i was a cashier and my duties were not always apart of my job description. i had to help women dress and un dress in the dressing rooms and clean the bathrooms. pay was low and the hours werent always there.
Easy job, great to learn from.
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH11 September 2017
There's no growth with this company. I need something better for me and my family
The hours are always fluxuating, and the management is extremely poor.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Terrible pay
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC10 September 2017
I was the top collect 10 times out of a 12 month period. The hardest part of my job was to have to close accounts on customers that has been with Cato
Fashionably Late
Architect (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC10 September 2017
The company is undergoing serious changes due to the currently challenging retail landscape. Until recently, the dress code had no allowance for business casual, but that was changed in order to attract more millenials. Don't expect quick promotions because management is a closely-knit clique. Decision-making is usually slow and new ideas rarely reach the right decision-makers. This is a great company to make your start and people do return, but management has a way to keeping you in your place.
Fun atmospher
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 731278 September 2017
I enjoyed working for Cato. I had to relocate back to TX from Oklahoma or I would probably be a store manager in Oklahoma by now. I enjoyed working with Cato.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
pay
Great Place to work
Manager/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Dahlonega, GA6 September 2017
Cato was a phenomenal place to work, with great managers and coworkers. Wages are low, however, which discourages employees from working hard. Workplace culture is fun, relaxed, and overall great. We get the job done, and have fun while doing it. The best part of the job is meeting and helping customers. The hardest part is honestly paperwork, which is actually pretty easy.
Pros
discount, management
Cons
low wages