Catholic Social Services

Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews

Meet awesome people from different cultures
Rehabilitation Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 January 2017
A great place to work. The only reason I left was I could not advance in position as to do so you had to have more education. The management of this company is awesome. They stand behind their mission statement
Pros
Meet awesome people from all over the world
Cons
Could not advance in position unless had higher education. At least back then, unsure now
Exceptional Community Srervices
Settlement Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada2 March 2017
Catholic Social Services, Catholic Charities, Sign of Hope - Alberta Canada is a trendsetter at the heart of diverse social services for the province of Alberta. The agency is well managed, efficient, and proud of its employees, empowering them with many opportunities for growth and advancement.
Hello
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2016
It was a good experience to work for this organization, But the one thing the need to approve is . When there is a job posting the requirement of the job never matches who ever they hire.
People with did different experience and different education or incomplete education can get the positions.
Ok company to work for if you don't like making much money.
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
Management is not the best. They don't help with resolving issues as well as show favoritism amongst employees. Pay is terrible with not much if any room to advance within the agency.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
pay, management
Great place to work. Very productive
Community Disability Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2016
I would meet each one of my clients on a weekly basis and discuss what they would need support with. It may be with finding a job to learning something new like cooking.

I did work alone but if I had any need to call a co-worker they would be so amazing and helpful.
Management were very approachable and easy to talk to.

It was very enjoyable to be helping and meeting new people.

The hardest part would be to not get overwhelmed and bring work home. It is doable though.

Learned to be more patient and understanding.
Pros
The hours were great.
Cons
N/A
Css
Payroll Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Excellent non profit organization with strong values and relationships with the community.

Dedicated to their mission statement and show compassion to those most vulnerable and in need of support.
This job gave me flexibility and taught me new skills
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 August 2016
Working for Catholic Social Services gave me an insight as to what is available in the community to offer those with disability. Working at this company has provided many opportunities and has given many skills to work in this field. It was a fun, reliable job which gave me the flexibility to continue in my recent job at the time.
Pros
flexibility
great place
IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2016
wonderful work culture by helping people in need. wonderful co-workers and stable work environment . always love the experience working there
Pros
work life balance
Cons
ninw
Horrible Management
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB20 November 2015
From the top to the bottom this company has poorly trained staff, and a culture of discrimination. Often employees were left to attend to management's job in order to maintain safety for clients. I worry that this situation is dangerous to those clients this company supports.
Pros
wonderful peer co-workers with hearts of gold
Cons
long hours, understaffing, downloading of duties onto subordinates
Good company to work
CDW (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta12 October 2015
They got great staff benefits and good incentives, Easy job and great staff and clients ratio. Lots of hours and flexible hours available.
Pros
Stable job as they don't fire any staff.
Cons
salary is not great, Some Team Leaders have no experience, will not work frontline. Hires worker that can't speak or read english very well, They hire supervisor with no experience and doesn't know how to manage in disability services.
Amazing company!
Community Disability Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2015
great company to work with! it is truly amazing what they do in the community. I work in the disability program, typical day could be accompanying them for an outing or cooking there food and giving prescribed meds, or creating crafts and such. it is not very stressful job. Staffs are all great! I am proud to work here!
Great place to work but the duties are very routine
Rehabilitation Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB5 May 2015
Great place to work.
We have opportunities to receive ongoing training to enable us to expand our skills and offer the best care we can to those we care for.
Supervisors and staff are very supportive.
There is flexibility in our work schedule and our personal needs are taken into account.
I have learned a great deal about the particular challenges for the individuals with developmental delays.
The hardest part of the job is attending to unpredictable behavior in the home and ensuring the safety and quality of life for everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outings and the joy this brings to the individuals in our care.
Pros
Flexibility, fun and support
Cons
Work duties are very routine.
just an amazing place to work
Youth and Childcare Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2014
what can i say about this place they were an amazing place to work and get experience from i never had a problem with the staff it was just some of the women that you would have to work with they would get a little out of hand. I would have to take seminars and programs that would help further my learning. the staff here were amazing to work with always friendly. the bad part of this job was you would have to see how some of the women have been abused and listen to there stories they were hard to listen to some times.
Pros
hours were great
Cons
some of the women were a litlle rough
Faith-Centered and Nurturing Professional Environment
Community Disability Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta9 July 2015
The work day requires responsibility in ensuring the safety,well-being and the quality of life of the individuals that are being served is strictly being adhered to. Employee support is available, and all employees are held accountable to a high standard of quality care. The work day provides routine, and variety, including home care, and community activities. Professional development is ongoing. It can be challenging when personalities clash, but a professional attitude and placing the care of clients first and foremost overrides personal incompatibilities. Bringing joy to the clients is thoroughly and personally rewarding, and fulfills a need to make the world a better place for a vulnerable population.
Pros
Freedom to apply to available shifts made available online.
Cons
Job can be emotionally and physically demanding.
Child and Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada1 April 2014
A typical day would include going in at 7am. Getting the kids breakfast and getting them ready for the school bus. During day shifts is when your paperwork is done. On afternoon/evening shifts, you cook dinner for the kids and do activities or go on outings with them. I work on a great team, and we are all on the same page about what is best for our clients. The hardest part is that it can be sometimes stressful, but when you see the kids happy it outweighs the hard times.
Pros
Great Team, You have all your meals there, Can take holidays when you like.
Cons
12 hour shifts can be long, Can be stressful at times
Excellent learning curve.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2012
I enjoyed my time at CSS so much, it was really a labour of love. I enjoyed working with the staff from all levels of the program, and I learned the ropes from my superiors very quickly due to their ongoing open communication and patience with me. Throughout my work experience at CSS, I firmly established my role as a key player by taking on new tasks that were either initiated by me or given to me. The environment was very welcoming and productive. My time there was definitely worthwhile.
Can be very rewarding at times
Correctons and Substance Abuse (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2013
Lots of paper work, all activities of clients had to be hand written, doing rounds every hour, spent time listening and making

suggestions, answering a lot of calls. I learned a great deal regarding corrections and substance abuse and how it effects so many people. Management was usually supportive on our desions. The hardest part of the job for myself was working overnite shifts. The most enjoyable was when one of the clients were released back into society successfully.
Pros
Learning new things almost everyday
Cons
The pay, working overnites, and having to send some one back to prison!
Great Compnay that offered lots opportunity to make a difference in peoples lives
Child and Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ab10 July 2014
Not much room to continuously develop skills or move up with promotions.
Lots of support within the team that you work with but felt management was not interested in supporting front line workers who did not work in the central offices
Job security was not very stable as it al depended on government grants and money raised
Very diverse always challenging never boring job.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  edmonton alberta6 May 2013
Day shift
Get children up for school put out healthy options for breakfast, remind about hygiene. While children are at school prep for dinner clean up arrange for evening staff activities.
Pros
Very personally rewarding job, helping youth is my passion. Lots of excersize.
Cons
I find it challenging not to let my emotions get the best of me sometimes.
Good learning experience
Community Disability Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2014
A day at work begins by checking the updates and activities of the clients in the Program. Making arrangements/accompanying the clients to the various appointments and activities. Daily report writing and case reviews. A good platform to learn to deal with various behaviors with the help of individual Behavior Support Plan. A professional relationship and good rapport with the co-workers enable to respect their culture and understanding their skills and strengths to work as a team to the benefit of the clients. The hardest part of job is to deal with sudden onset of behavior issues of clients but good communication and teamwork help us to overcome all hardships. The most enjoyable moments are the smiling faces of our clients and co-workers when we accomplish our tasks.

Catholic Social Services Reviews by Location