Catholic Social Services

Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews

This job gave me flexibility and taught me new skills
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2016
Working for Catholic Social Services gave me an insight as to what is available in the community to offer those with disability. Working at this company has provided many opportunities and has given many skills to work in this field. It was a fun, reliable job which gave me the flexibility to continue in my recent job at the time.
Pros
flexibility
Horrible Management
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, ABNovember 20, 2015
From the top to the bottom this company has poorly trained staff, and a culture of discrimination. Often employees were left to attend to management's job in order to maintain safety for clients. I worry that this situation is dangerous to those clients this company supports.
Pros
wonderful peer co-workers with hearts of gold
Cons
long hours, understaffing, downloading of duties onto subordinates
Amazing company!
Community Disability Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2015
great company to work with! it is truly amazing what they do in the community. I work in the disability program, typical day could be accompanying them for an outing or cooking there food and giving prescribed meds, or creating crafts and such. it is not very stressful job. Staffs are all great! I am proud to work here!
Good company to work
CDW (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaOctober 12, 2015
They got great staff benefits and good incentives, Easy job and great staff and clients ratio. Lots of hours and flexible hours available.
Pros
Stable job as they don't fire any staff.
Cons
salary is not great, Some Team Leaders have no experience, will not work frontline. Hires worker that can't speak or read english very well, They hire supervisor with no experience and doesn't know how to manage in disability services.
good
Community Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 12, 2015
no benefits no leadership no fair treatment lots of room for improvement needs more black people good positions education for clients
Faith-Centered and Nurturing Professional Environment
Community Disability Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaJuly 9, 2015
The work day requires responsibility in ensuring the safety,well-being and the quality of life of the individuals that are being served is strictly being adhered to. Employee support is available, and all employees are held accountable to a high standard of quality care. The work day provides routine, and variety, including home care, and community activities. Professional development is ongoing. It can be challenging when personalities clash, but a professional attitude and placing the care of clients first and foremost overrides personal incompatibilities. Bringing joy to the clients is thoroughly and personally rewarding, and fulfills a need to make the world a better place for a vulnerable population.
Pros
Freedom to apply to available shifts made available online.
Cons
Job can be emotionally and physically demanding.
Great place to work but the duties are very routine
Rehabilitation Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, ABMay 5, 2015
Great place to work.
We have opportunities to receive ongoing training to enable us to expand our skills and offer the best care we can to those we care for.
Supervisors and staff are very supportive.
There is flexibility in our work schedule and our personal needs are taken into account.
I have learned a great deal about the particular challenges for the individuals with developmental delays.
The hardest part of the job is attending to unpredictable behavior in the home and ensuring the safety and quality of life for everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outings and the joy this brings to the individuals in our care.
Pros
Flexibility, fun and support
Cons
Work duties are very routine.
Productive workplace
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AbFebruary 6, 2015
A typical day at work was productive and rewarding. CSS consists of over 1800 employees and 1200 volunteers. CSS has many different programs to serve the community of Edmonton Ab.
CSS
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  WetaskiwinJanuary 25, 2015
This was a great agency to work for. I loved working for CSS. I wish they were hiring.
just an amazing place to work
Youth and Childcare Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 11, 2014
what can i say about this place they were an amazing place to work and get experience from i never had a problem with the staff it was just some of the women that you would have to work with they would get a little out of hand. I would have to take seminars and programs that would help further my learning. the staff here were amazing to work with always friendly. the bad part of this job was you would have to see how some of the women have been abused and listen to there stories they were hard to listen to some times.
Pros
hours were great
Cons
some of the women were a litlle rough
Good environment and great colleagues
Child and Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2014
A great learning experience and although challenging, very rewarding. I learned a great deal about autism that I would have never learned and love making a difference on a daily basis.
Pros
great support, schedule, professional
Cons
stressful
CYW and FASD Transitional Worker
Youth Worker and Child and Youth Assistant (Current Employee) –  WetaskiwinNovember 28, 2014
I loved my job here and the clients. I found however that staff was underpaid and the government should be funding more dollars for these programs as well.
Good until i had a new boss
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 26, 2014
Old boss left after many years with the company, than I got a new boss who never worked in corrections before. Asked me how to do everything and train her. Than she would tell me I didn't know what I was doing or how to do things.
Pros
good benifit packages
Cons
lyers
Great Compnay that offered lots opportunity to make a difference in peoples lives
Child and Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  edmonton, abJuly 10, 2014
Not much room to continuously develop skills or move up with promotions.
Lots of support within the team that you work with but felt management was not interested in supporting front line workers who did not work in the central offices
Job security was not very stable as it al depended on government grants and money raised
Office Politics
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Substance abuse and correctionsJune 16, 2014
Office politics are more important than seasoned long time staff.
Pros
i dont work there any more
Cons
beats down self confidence.
New environment with lot of opportunity to learn
Community Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ENGMay 22, 2014
The management is so good, flexible, better working environment, lot of opportunity to learn. Learned lot to deal with different clients with behavioral issues, development disabilities.
Pros
provide transportation and meals while on job
Cons
no negative aspects so far of the job
Child and Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaApril 1, 2014
A typical day would include going in at 7am. Getting the kids breakfast and getting them ready for the school bus. During day shifts is when your paperwork is done. On afternoon/evening shifts, you cook dinner for the kids and do activities or go on outings with them. I work on a great team, and we are all on the same page about what is best for our clients. The hardest part is that it can be sometimes stressful, but when you see the kids happy it outweighs the hard times.
Pros
great team, you have all your meals there, can take holidays when you like.
Cons
12 hour shifts can be long, can be stressful at times
Good learning experience
Community Disability Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2014
A day at work begins by checking the updates and activities of the clients in the Program. Making arrangements/accompanying the clients to the various appointments and activities. Daily report writing and case reviews. A good platform to learn to deal with various behaviors with the help of individual Behavior Support Plan. A professional relationship and good rapport with the co-workers enable to respect their culture and understanding their skills and strengths to work as a team to the benefit of the clients. The hardest part of job is to deal with sudden onset of behavior issues of clients but good communication and teamwork help us to overcome all hardships. The most enjoyable moments are the smiling faces of our clients and co-workers when we accomplish our tasks.
Good servise
IHS (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2014
It is a good experience of learning and gaining the passion of serving others through CSS
Providing Love, Care and Support
Rehabilitation Administrator/Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABDecember 3, 2013
I enjoyed making a difference in the clients' lives by providing them with more opportunities to enjoy life. The hardest part about this career was when the clients were physically abusive to themselves, and to myself.

Catholic Social Services Reviews by Location