Caterpillar

Caterpillar Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working systems are great
Technical Support manager south east asia (Former Employee), PerthFebruary 11, 2014
Was not with them long enough to comment. During the acquisition of Bucyrus cat found positions for most of the ex Bucyrus employees.
Painter/ Large Tractor Assembly (Former Employee), East Peoria, ILFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, good co-workers, good enviroment.
Cons: better job security
I would inspect paint jobs on tractors when on the paint line. I learned a lot about different types of paint and how to do it properly. On the large tractor line I installed hose work inside the tractors or when on fenders i learned the different ways to do the wiring.
machinist
machinist (Former Employee), East Peoria, ILFebruary 10, 2014
ran external grinder, a pittler,and a t-30 good work place, good people to work with
tough call
Fabrication Specialist / Assembly (Former Employee), Aurora, ILFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: cool job
Cons: cut-throat scenery and no perks
as much as i wanted to love the place it felt like i kept getting beat down. union shop so skill doesn't matter, only seniority based so you notice disciplinary actions getting handed out a bit much even if your intentions were good. in the three years i noticed my annual income decrease each year and the origional job i hired at was nowhere close to – more... where i ended at due to seniority. i hear it used to be ideal but it got hard to get noticed – less
Very Appreciative
Logistics Technician (Current Employee), Morton, ILFebruary 7, 2014
I am very appreciative of what Caterpillar has done for me.

I have been promoted within the company twice since July 2012.

I do not agree with many of the processes that are put in place and it is very difficult to service our customers with some of these process that just do not make any since logistically.
interesting and very challenging
Logistics Receiving Clerk (Current Employee), Decatur, ILFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: you have a job
Cons: threw temp service, not the same treatment, super busy.
Must think and be prepared for quick change. it is a easy job and only hard if you make it.
Fullfilling Experience
Logistics Technician (Former Employee), Clayton, NCFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: teamwork, schedule
Cons: department was outsourced
During the time I worked there I was allowed to learn as much as I wanted about the entire manufacturing process. I was assigned to work within the logistics department and I was able to learn every position and become the team floater. I was allowed to implement many process improvements to aid workflow.
Great learning Experience
Manufacturing Engineer / Manager, CI Board (Former Employee), Aurora, ILFebruary 6, 2014
You get to learn a whole bunch with hands on experience with Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen, Inventory control, etc
fairly decent employer
General Laborer (Former Employee), Huston, PAFebruary 5, 2014
Cons: managers real pushy and hard nosed for no reason
Safety conscious company, Daily safety meetings ,not too good on hiring you after your 90 day trial. Always seemed to have another reason they weren't hiring right now
productive and clean work place
Assembler II (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARFebruary 5, 2014
The job basically consist of subbing up engine components, using power tools, operating overhead cranes and inspecting components. what i enjoy most, the hours are consistent. This job just re-emphasize the importants of eculusion. Constantly standing would probably be the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part would definitely be the finished – more... product. – less
professional and fun to work
senior java/j2ee developer (Current Employee), Peoria, ILFebruary 5, 2014
very professional management and team. Fun to work . Work and life is balanced.
I learned alot about individuals, processes and myself
Releasing Staff Engineer (Former Employee), Lafayette, IndianaFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: salary was well, education reimbursement, flexability on hours
Cons: processes are not always followed through as written.
A typical day would consist of reviewing potential change request and validating the process would work correctly on the product as well as the computer system.

I learned to be kind, firm, respectful, truthful and open to anything a day may bring. Also, computers became more prevalent which required ongoing training and updating my knowledge.

Some – more... management stands out as excellent. There seemed to be a constant change on the process for reviews, etc. while not providing training on what the criteria is. At times, there was a lack of communication to certain areas such as the shop would hear a different version than the engineering dept.

The hardest part was when I moved from one dept to another. I enjoyed the job and people I worked with but knew it was time to move on.

The most enjoyable would be the friendships made, community services participated in, and the daily analyzing required along with the knowledge gained. Also, providing end results which kept in line with requirements for the facility and giving the customer excellent service. – less
Very safe establishment
Assembly Line operator (Former Employee), Jedburg, SCFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great experience and reference to any other manufacturing job(s).
Cons: it closed down.
We would start our day by putting on the proper safety gear and then go to the assembly line to ensure we are sending quality product(s). Inspecting and observation were key parts in this field and I am glad to have sharpen these skills with this job. Managent is a great help in and out of the shop. This company ensures of our comfort and most of all – more... our work. – less
Manager of Special Projects (Former Employee), Albertville, ALFebruary 4, 2014
Merging with Caterpillar resulting a duplication of responsibilities. Other wise an excellent company and place to work.
Safety-oriented work environment
CNC Machinist (Former Employee), Oxford, MSFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: gain sharing
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work consisted of running and maintaining various machines at a steady work pace while maintaining quality safety standards.
The Job sucked
Liquid Painter (Former Employee), East Peoria, ILFebruary 1, 2014
The fact that I worked for 2 years with no Benefits and the fear of losing my job and any moment was horrible
Fun workplace
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee), Taipei TaiwanJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: fun, easy-going
Cons: no compensation
The manager was super easy going and my fellow coworkers were very nice people. It was a summer 2 month internship but I enjoyed the work experience very much.
Good for growing in manufactoring enviroment.
Assembly tech (Former Employee), NCJanuary 30, 2014
Advancement and job security was the least appealing at this establishment. Felt as though you would be let go a moments notice.
Liked my job.
o Inbound Support Coordinator (Former Employee), Morton, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Co-workers where great. After 20 years of service I no longer qualified for my job, because I did not have a degree.
They don't value the employees. Work/life balance is terrible.
IT Analyst (Current Employee), Central IllinoisJanuary 28, 2014
In the IT department, all that matters is getting the job done. 50 or more hours are expected with no comp time. You never hear "good job". When employees don't perform well, no action is taken and the people who do a good job get dumped on. It is a dog eat dog environment that I would avoid. No one I know enjoys working here.

About Caterpillar

For more than 85 years, Caterpillar has been making sustainable progress possible — for our customers, for growing communities – Read more