Catalyst Paper

Catalyst Paper Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good company, working in a difficult market.
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Powell River, BCMarch 11, 2014
Pros: supportive co-workers and good training programs.
Cons: old site and equipment. lots of updating needed.
This is a company working hard to adapt to a changing market place. Many skilled and hard working people at this site, however the isolation of the location makes it challenging to get resources and people. I enjoyed my time there and learned a great deal, having come from a different industry. The most difficult part was learning the new equipment – more... and processes. The best part was the support of the co-workers at the work site, and the friendly small town environment. – less
Worst company to work for on the coast...
Tradesman (Former Employee), Crofton, BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: excellent trades group
Cons: union busting idiots at the helm...hr department that is despicable
I worked there for 22 years doing various jobs prior to leaving as a journeyman tradesman...Front line supervision was awesome, but that's as far as anything good goes...five name changes in the time I was there, the constant threat of shutdown if the union didn't capitulate to the company's constant demands...upper management that were yes men, mill – more... managers that were bullies and a general feeling of discontent at every turn... I left prior to the wage cut that now makes them the lowest paid union trades workforce on the coast...
Wouldn't recommend this this company to anyone!!! – less
as a politcal move to reduce wages they closed the one of 4 sites that made them a profit
Header Operator (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCJanuary 25, 2014
I worked a 4x4 shift. ( 2days, 2 nights) 12hour shifts 3.5 days off. the hours worked well as they were implemented threw employee input.On going safety training was extensive in an effort to always keep the work place somewhere safe to be. Moral was high till the end which I feel contributed to a low injure to man hours rate. Training was extensive – more... and on going in WHMIS, Fall Arrest, Confined Space Entry, Hatch Watch Safety, LPG Filling (by volume), OSHA, Forklift and Pre-inspection along with monthly tour rotation and weekly/daily departmental safety meetings.Your co-workers were like a 2nd family and tended to work very well together. he hardest part of the job that I did was standing in one spot doing repetitive work for long periods of time (feet tend to get sore on vibrating steel decking). The best part was time usual went by quickly as there was always things to be tended to keeping one very busy. the shift work also aloud for lots of family time at home when not working overtime. – less
horible pay and benefits
4th class power engineer (Current Employee), catalystOctober 13, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: lowest industry wage, bad benefits no money for maitenaince and can't attract trades workers.
absolutle garbage pay is below all other comparible industries. recently went in for a eye exam and I couldn't believe i was expected to pay for the exam in a unilon pulp mill. horrible worker manigment realationship and I hate my boss who is quite the liar.
Professional environment with helpful co-workers
Clean Energy Co-op Student (Former Employee), Crofton, BCJuly 24, 2013
Typical day: Busy environment.
Most valuable lesson: Time management
Management: helpful
Co-workers: helpful
Hardest part of the job: navigating through mill
Most enjoyable part: participating in improvements
No respect for trades
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Crofton, BCMarch 3, 2013
Pros: all the overtime you want
Cons: all the overtime you want. safety, production, and moral low
Top management doesnt care at all about worker problems. Company wide moral is low. Not enough trades, pay rate below average. They want to get oversea workers because they cant get any trades. The real problem is no one wants to work for them. Safety and production are at record lows.
excellent safety and company management
Gate Hire (Current Employee), Powell River, BCNovember 30, 2012
Job was a success hopefully get hired full time in the future.
good pay and benifits
Operator (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: 4/4 shift
Cons: grave yards/12 hour shifts
mill closed and they laid everyone off instead of transfer to other mills(they owned at least three others)When an american Managment co. took over they promised NO MILL CLOSURE or layoffs?
I do not wish to review this company
Power engineer/Millwright (Former Employee), Campbell River, BCAugust 13, 2012
Pros: pro active safety environment
A typical large business. There was plenty of opportunity for one to advance in a chosen field or in some cases change their main line of endeavour. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with, usually very cooperative and willing to share their knowledge and/or ideas. The hardest part of the job was working in the high temperature high humidity – more... areas during the summer. It could sometimes be brutal. As for occupational enjoyment most of us liked it when a plan came together and all the parts were delivered on time so that the major jobs could proceed smoothly. – less
Very Depressing negative atmosphere wages to be cut 10% may 1 as well as holidays and holiday pay
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), CroftonApril 20, 2012
Pros: vancouver island
Cons: too many to list
Its a very negative, very poorly managed company . The company is presently in CCAA basically bankrupt. Wages and benefits being cut by 10% may 1 st. The future does not look good. Alot of maintenance staff are leaving. Just no future.
good place to work
Stock prep operator (Former Employee), arizonaJuly 31, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: hours
poor upper management . they micro managed equipment they knew nothing about.
depressing
shipping clerk (Former Employee), Snowflake, AZJuly 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: shut downs____
atypical day at work was wondering when they were going to close down.
very good site
Stockman (Former Employee), Snowflake, AZMarch 14, 2013
managed chemical and stock flows.helped with ho's.some maintenancs.emergency responce team.
Productive and fun with the crew I worked with.
Leadman in Shipping (Former Employee), Snowflake, AZJanuary 31, 2013
I was a leadman in shipping where i supervised and worked with a crew of 6 proscessing paper product, wrapping and loading in trailers and railcars using proper patterns to complete orders.Also working with machine crews to produce correct amount of rolls for each customer.Over saw all switches on millsite and trains coming in and going out. I had a – more... very good crew that respected me and worked good for me out of respect, i think that works better.I think the hardest part of the job was completing everything we had to do with the least amount of help and equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the crews and being able to complete all the tasks that were asked of us and the ability to work for the same company and providing for my family the last 37 years. – less
Good place to work while it was open.
Training Specialist (Former Employee), Snowflake, AZDecember 7, 2012
Provided for a stable income to raise a family until the economy had its' way. Lowering newsprint demand and raw fiber costs (recycling) finally took a toll.
Had a good time.
Roll Wrapper (Former Employee), Snowflake, AZOctober 10, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: very hard work lots of fun.
Very good job great company, loved the people l worked with.
Unhealthy place to work both physically and mentally.
Millwright/Industrial Mechanic /Shift Lead (Former Employee), Snowflake ArizonaSeptember 22, 2012
Pros: union
Cons: dangerous, unsafe, complete disregard for employee health.
Completely unorganized, unstable and dangerous place to work.
NO longer a good place to work.
millwright (Current Employee), Crofton BC CanadaJuly 14, 2012
Pros: good people to work with.
Cons: job is uncertain.
We are in CCAA. Bankruptcy protection. A typical day is ok good people. What i learned. I teach i have 30 + years experience.Front line management is great.Co-workers are depressed, mad, and bitter .The hardest part of the job is the mood of the place hourly and management. The most enjoyable part are the people.
Safety orientated, good place to work until debt load and CCAA
Utilities manager (Current Employee), Port Alberni, B.C. CanadaMarch 7, 2012
Pros: tried to treat employees good as long as possible
Cons: as debt increased, very senior staff personnel were very hard hit.
Same location of work, 1 owner 1971 to 1998, 3 different owners 1998 to 2012. Company very good for most of my working life. When market turned down and debt increased; benefits declined, workload increased, moral decreased and maint harder to manage.