Carmeuse Lime & Stone

Carmeuse Lime & Stone Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
So far, so great!
Manager (Current Employee), CanadaMay 10, 2013
I have recently joined Carmeuse and have found it to be a very dynamic, challenging and interesting place to work. I am especially impressed with the focus on safety, training, and professional development. I am looking forward to many years here!
good place to work
Quarry Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Alabaster, ALSeptember 9, 2014
quarry heavy equipment lot of worker good equipment good pay
Constantly Busy
Lab Technician (Former Employee), River Rouge, MIAugust 18, 2014
Always a sample to test because there was a continuous flow of trucks.
good place to work
Senior Technical Service Technician (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2014
its a good place to work depends on department or job. Corp is nice office and so is R&D facitltiy.
Forward thinking Company.
Human Resources (Current Employee), CanadaMay 14, 2013
Excellent training opportunities, good benefits, team-focused work environment.
Good Company and Good Benefits
Production Laborer (Current Employee), OhioMay 8, 2013
Pros: safety is a high proirity
Cons: paperwork work keeps office depot sales growing
Great Company that being said ,They are all about more higher salary positions and less Laborers . Sometimes can be really confusing but in my work history with them they really do care . They like doing alot of useless redunt paperwork . Seems to be somedays like being trapped in the movie Office Space .
Wonderful Place to Work!
Corporate Management (Current Employee), PittsburghMay 3, 2013
Pros: people, opportunities
Cons: limited resources
Carmeuse is a great place to work with people that really care about what they do and also each other. I came in with little experience and with hard work and dedication and I was able to grow with the company. I have had wonderful opportunities and experiences that I have never had with past companies. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with – more... people that care and are not quick to judge and blame. My job is challenging and I have a list of things that need to get done that seems impossible, but with the support of our management team, we do get things accomplished. If you are a hard worker who can think creatively, you will be presented with a bounty of unique experiences and opportunities at Carmeuse! – less
not a great company!
electrician (Former Employee), strasburg, vaMay 2, 2013
Pros: overtime, good pay
Cons: unorganized, high turnover, poor treatment of employees
The company does pay well, doesn't have the greatest benefit package but not the worst. The company lacks severely in treatment of employees, Probably the worst job I've ever had in that aspect! The place will fire/layoff you in a heartbeat or at least threaten you daily. Co-workers aren't terrible but the atmosphere within the company creates a backstabbing/ – more... brown nosing of sort within the people. Basically, if you are satisfied working for a place like this, it doesn't take much to please you. This is more of a place to get some experience and get out. – less
Great organization w/ a solid future! Best company I have worked for to date!
Current Employee (Current Employee), MichiganApril 25, 2013
Carmeuse is a family owned and operated organization who recently celebrated over 150 years of success! The Company is very focused on the future and building a staff of highly skilled employees required for continued success and growth.

Safety truly is their first priority; this concept is driven from the top down and reinforced with aggressive initiatives, – more... goals, etc.

I am impressed with the amount of training that is provided within the organization. The sky's the limit and the only thing holding employees back is themselves.

I also appreciate the level of support that is provided beginning at the Exceutive level all the way down to the site management teams.

Overall, very good company and a great place to work! – less
Great place to work, excellent support from all levels of management
Manager (Current Employee), AlabamaMarch 26, 2013
With this company there are great opportunities to get involved in different parts of the business. They focus efforts on employee development and advancement. The compensation and benefits are very competitive. Being a private/family-owned company, the core values of safety, environmental, respect, and being the best are a priority that they live by.
productive
Silo tank filler (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2012
Load and unload trucks , fill up bags up to 50 pounds of quick lime then stack on pallet 40 tons a week thats the hardest part stacking unloading rail cars the most enjoyable. Management and Co-Workers were good to work with.
Terrible Culture, challanging atmosphere
Staff (Current Employee), CanadaAugust 27, 2012
Pros: challenging environment, lots of experience still at the plant
Cons: frequent firings, lack of training, lack of communication, no team-building, finger-pointing
In 2.5 years, I've watched 4 staff fired, and 4 people leave to persue employment elsewhere. That number is high when you consider there's under 20 full-time salaried staff at the plant. It's sink or swim for new hires, training is almost non-existant. This high rate of termination makes trusting the HR team impossible. I've never worked for a compnay – more... with such a high rate of distrust of HR - You could ask anyone in plant if they trust a thing HR says, and everyone would respond "NO". Additionally, it's a "who you know, not what you know" kind of environment, with friends of upper management getting first kick at job openings. Bothers, nephews, good friends of managers are direct reports to family members, which makes for some rather obvious favoratism at times.

I rated compensation so low because job descriptions change constantly - work loads increase and roles change with each firing - and there is no change to compensation to go with it. I've had my job description tripple in length in those 2.5 years, with no change to compensation. Even requests for a discussion about my compensation are shot down.

That having been said, the plant makes a quality product and there are a lot of people that genuinely care about the plant. Sales are strong for now - some softening in the short term - but should be strong for years to come. My plant has been in operation for over 150 years, and there are a number of staff members with over 20 years experience at the plant. There are deposts here that will keep the plant running for 100 years more, so provided you can avoid the quartly firings job security will never be an issue. – less
productive
Kiln Assistant (Current Employee), Grand River, OHJune 8, 2012
Overall good workplace wouldnt leave
if I didnt have too. Good pay good hours and not far from home.

About Carmeuse Lime & Stone

Carmeuse Lime & Stone has a corporate history that dates back almost 150 years. The Carmeuse Group S.A., the Belgium-based – Read more

Carmeuse Lime & Stone Photos