Carmacks Hotel Employee Review

View all Carmacks Hotel reviews

Hard, Honest Work in a Beautiful Place with Friendly People
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Carmacks, YT9 January 2013
In my short time as a housekeeper with the Carmacks Hotel, I did long hours of physically demanding work and I was very tired. One of my co-workers said this happened to everyone at first because the higher altitude means the air is thinner, and people take a while to get used to the deficiency of oxygen. The close-knit community, the natural beauty of the location, and the encouragement of short-term employees made it feel a little like a vacation with new friends. I was put to work immediately upon arriving, and my work, being new to me, was very demanding. I had to clean and replace bedding in about 14 rooms a day by myself, which varied in the amount of work they needed, as well as washing and folding laundry, taking out garbage, and later on cleaning another building also under the same management. I was exhausted by the hard work, the thin air, and my own life circumstances at the time, but very much able to appreciate the wild beauty of the natural and unspoilt world around the Klondyke river. My co-workers were a bunch of dynamic characters all there from all over the country to take advantage of the higher Yukon wage, room and board provided by the business, and in one case to pursue a hobby of natural photography as well. The employees often played poker and hung out in the bar when not on-shift, and I was very glad of the fact that living at my workplace meant I never had to deal with any length of commute. The restaurant fare that was our included board was delicious, too.
Pros
restaurant meals, free room and board, awesome co-workers, beautiful environment
Cons
long hours, hard work, thin mountain air