Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Wonderful company..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NSSeptember 11, 2016
I enjoyed working with Carlton cards very friendly co workers wonderful management .This company shows their staff that they appreciate the work they do. Really good discounts for staff. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for work.The only thing I didn't like was always have to wear black..
Pros
good discounts
Cons
wearing black..
Sales Associate + Key Holder
Sales Associate Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
My first retail job. This job was ok for an 18 year old to learn responsibility. I had my purse, money, new glasses stolen from someone who was stealing money from all locations so I don't think it was very safe job.
Pros
Sales Associate and promoted to Key holder
Cons
Too much expectations from young people
Slow paced environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 17, 2016
A good entry level job for people learning to work retail, the stores are generally slow paced and allow for easy training and adjusting.
Wonderful Experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NSJune 1, 2016
The card industry is a challenging one. Always straightening up and relocating and helping customers pick the perfect one out. Plus, the accessories that go with cards, wrapping papers, ornaments etc.
Pros
Great selection of cards
cashier
Clerk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 27, 2016
the job was decent, but no room to grow. Managers were nice, but the politics weren't easy to deal with. Worked as a cashier, dealing with customers and having to do till closing in the morning and night depending on when we worked.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Carlton Cards
1st Key holder Sales (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 11, 2016
I enjoy working for the company. Although there is no room for growth in the company as they are closing 34 store Canada wide. The staff are a enjoyment to work with. I have learned about Receiving of product and shipping product out of the store. I have also been able to learn about the deposits and how to calculate last years sales and this years...
Carlton Cards only hires part-time, and you would be lucky to get more than three hours a week
Customer Service/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Peterborough Ontario, canadaApril 11, 2016
I work only three - twelve hours a week. Greeting and helping customers. Work alone 99 % of the time. Enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
No Pros.
Cons
No breaks when working all day sundays
Nice place to work, with nice people and a great district mannger
Manager and CSR (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONMarch 7, 2016
-40 hours a week, excellent co-workers, working with customers was my most enjoyable part of the day and was just a very pleasant place to work.
Pros
loved working with people
Cons
making sure all employees did the work assigned and in a timely fashion
Working at Carlton Cards
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 10, 2016
Out of all my jobs, Carlton cards is probably my favourite job, I love the relationships I made working there. Were closing , that is why I'm looking for a job elsewhere, There is not much I don't like about this job, I have met alot of people working here.
Pros
Relationships
Cons
Were closing
Carlton Cards
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Store management is good but upper management above the district manager is out of touch with the location. Continually cutting hours and increasing workloads, forcing management to work less hours per week to save the company money. Frequently piling numerous tasks on with no extra hours. It got to the point that the store manager had to take stress tests and almost had a nervous breakdown and this was somebody with years of management experience in other higher volume toy stores. District manager fought for her teams but it always fell on deaf ears. Customers were fairly friendly and product was decent, but the upper management deteriorated in the last 3 years.
Great first job, gained a lot of experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morden, MBDecember 29, 2015
Great first job, which provided a lot of useful on the job training. Taught how to open and close the store, Handle large amounts of cash and how to deal with customers.
Manager is an incredible guy who is very understanding.
Positive Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONDecember 27, 2015
I have been there for 3 years in total and find it to be a great place to work and grow. The supportive management made it possible for me to work and do full time post secondary education.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive management
Fun and Lively Work Atmosphere
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 12, 2015
A typical day at Carlton for a Part-Timer is mainly cash and cleanup. The store has high customer traffic so usually there needs to be a person on cash at all times. Also, because there are so many customers, the store gets disorganized quickly. The products are fun to display and examine, and the promotions are simple and easy to explain to customers. Informing customers about the VIP Card Club is difficult sometimes but it is a good deal! Management is a little wobbly at the moment but overall, very nice people to work with.
Pros
Easygoing staff, variety of customers, awesome promotions and interesting/exciting products
Cons
Unstable line of staff/management
Unrealistic expectations
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 6, 2015
Carlton Cards is a good company, however, the store I worked for had zero management. The manager did nothing to help the employees in any way, there was never any proper direction given. Part- timers trained new employees who barely knew enough themselves, and the expectations of the part-time employees was ridiculous given the time frame of the shift and the fact we were alone running the store.
Wonderful company to work for..
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2015
Great company to work for. Wonderful work environment, and plenty opportunity to learn new skills. Basic duties include Customer service, merchandising, inventory, and scheduling staff and organizing daily duties. Very enjoyable job and did not find the position hard, but challenging and enjoyable.
Enoyable place of work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 13, 2015
Business tends to be a bit slow. However it makes it easier to get jobs done. Small staff makes it easier to get to know others. Although makes it harder when someone gets sick.
Easy Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 11, 2015
There is always a new occasion we are celebrating. Fun place to work, but a lot of mindless tasks. My store team were great. Must have patience for organization.
I was only there part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NSJune 16, 2015
This was my part time job, wasn't bad. Training was quick, I feel it should have been more training. Once you understand how things work there it is a good job.
It has very friendly customers that come in to shop.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto OntarioJune 9, 2015
I enjoy helping the people that come in. I have learned many things over the years there and I'm very grateful. I have also had the chance to work with some wonderful people. Even there have been ups and downs I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel like I have grown as a real person working at this job.
Amazing Place to Work if You Really like to Organize
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work usually involves receiving shipments, putting inventory out on the floor, and maintaining and organizing displays and merchandise. My co-workers were fun to work with, and could always make me smile, my managers were amazing as they were strict, but fair and friendly. I learned about managing tills and the importance of filling out the paperwork correctly every time. I really like to organize things and set up displays, so this job allowed me to do what I liked doing, but in a work setting. The hardest part of the job was when a big shipment comes in on an unexpectedly busy day. We always try to work our hardest, do our best, and co-operate, regardless of how difficult a task is, so somehow we always manage to get through the rough parts of the job.