Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The People and the Product Make This Job Worth It
Keyholder (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: wonderful customers and co-workers, schedule flexibility, pleasant store atmosphere
Cons: no opportunities for advancement, no performance reviews, low wage with no increases, fluctuating hour availability
This job is won or lost in how passionate you can become about the product you're selling; you need to care if your customers find the right thank you card for their dog walker, or the right picture frame for their mother, or that perfect Valentine's gift. The product and store atmosphere are the parts of this job I can't imagine trading. That and my co-workers. The type of people working in card stores are usually the cheerful, optimistic, friendly kind, which makes your co-workers become your friends, especially in such a small store environment with so few staff.

However, the job is not without its downsides. There is very, very little opportunity for advancement with a staff that small. And in non-peak seasons (from March to September, essentially), head office cuts payroll hours significantly, meaning fewer to go around. And there are no benefits to be found unless you are a full-time employee - meaning a full 40 hours, not the maximum of 35-39 they might give a non-management associate. And it can be hard to make a living when the pay is one step above minimum wage, and you don't receive regular performance reviews to have a chance for a wage increase.

Overall, I would recommend the job if you are looking for a pleasant place to go to work everyday, with no aspirations of growing a career there or saving up any "extra" cash.
productive and quiet workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: working alone, good hours, close to home
Cons: working alone, the little amount of customers at times
I was trained for the first week on what I was expected to do because I would be working alone for the most part. I was still in school so I was only able to work on the weekends.

A typical day at work was pretty simple; I'd get to work take the money out of the safe and count a certain amount for the day, I had to make sure the person who closed the night before balanced out the money correctly. As soon as I was done with the money, I would start opening up the store, turn the lights on and take out display tables. I would mainly work the cash register, keep up the cleanliness of the store, open new packages, and help customers. At the end of the night, I would vaccumm the floor, take out the cash and count to make sure it was balanced.

The hardest part of the job was the very beginning, getting used to working alone. I was always worried I would make a mistake on a sales transaction and wouldn't know how to fix it. Fortunately, the mistakes I did make were nothing I could not fix, or call a co-worker and ask for some assitance.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone, I didn't mind the quiet when there weren't very many customers. It gave me a sense of independence; to do everything from start to finish on my own.
Amazing Place to Work if You Really like to Organize
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work usually involves receiving shipments, putting inventory out on the floor, and maintaining and organizing displays and merchandise. My co-workers were fun to work with, and could always make me smile, my managers were amazing as they were strict, but fair and friendly. I learned about managing tills and the importance of filling out the paperwork correctly every time. I really like to organize things and set up displays, so this job allowed me to do what I liked doing, but in a work setting. The hardest part of the job was when a big shipment comes in on an unexpectedly busy day. We always try to work our hardest, do our best, and co-operate, regardless of how difficult a task is, so somehow we always manage to get through the rough parts of the job.
Opportunities for improvement
Keyholder (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCMay 4, 2014
Pros: flexible hours where possible
Cons: breaks are not regular, shifts are not regular unless they are inconvenient(ie regularly late nights and weekends), no job advancement, no pay raises, no one to cover on sick days, understaffed without likely hood of hiring extra employees, sudden hour cuts, lack of communication, lack of training
A typical day begins with me either opening store or coming in during lunch hour, usually moving stock from one area of the store to another to make space due to receiving excess stock as it must always go out on the floor straight away. Organizing and disorganizing cards, helping customers find what they are looking for, and closing the store as quickly as possible at the end of the day.
Fast passed at fuel desk ,,,quiet while doing the books
STORE MANAGER (STORE CLOSURE) (Former Employee), calgary abFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: lots of interaction with people and always free coffee
Cons: when the company sold
I started at Flying J as a cashier , after the accounting manager left without notice I offered to help even though I had zero experience with book keeping , I found the people at head office very helpful . They basically spent 3 days teaching me over the phone .However when pilot took over I was asked to step down after 1 year of doing the books so they could bring in somebody with actual training .
Overall I loved the challenge and the people I worked with , My favorite part of the job was seeing customers come from all over the world .
Fun and Lively Work Atmosphere
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Easygoing staff, variety of customers, awesome promotions and interesting/exciting products
Cons: Unstable line of staff/management
A typical day at Carlton for a Part-Timer is mainly cash and cleanup. The store has high customer traffic so usually there needs to be a person on cash at all times. Also, because there are so many customers, the store gets disorganized quickly. The products are fun to display and examine, and the promotions are simple and easy to explain to customers. Informing customers about the VIP Card Club is difficult sometimes but it is a good deal! Management is a little wobbly at the moment but overall, very nice people to work with.
Carlton Cards
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: amazing co-workers, good learning opportunity, everything was pretty good/
A typical day would consist of cleaning and organizing and selling to customers. I learned how things work in a card shop and all the attention to details that need to be done to make everything look right. Management was fairly nice and where very accommodating. My co-workers where amazing and so friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was figuring out where everything was suppose to go because of the high volume we got. The best part of the job was learning how to do all of those things and having a wonderful team to work with.
Physically demanding, most workers work straight thru to finish their Projects without taking Breaks even if they do work longer than 4 hours
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee), GTAJuly 24, 2014
Cons: a huge amount of emails each day
Basically you walk in to the Retailer, do your Merchandising Task, then leave the retailer. Some of these Merchandising Projects do take longer than 4 hours, however; very often other Team Members will not take any breaks during the 4 hour period just so that they can be done the Task and out the door!
Great place to work with wonderful staff memebers
Sales representative (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCSeptember 1, 2014
Normally I would be working alone managing the till and restocking cards and other merchandise. Once it was time to close the store I cleaned, did computer work and dealt with the money by counting, making the deposit and dropping in the safe.

I really enjoyed being able to have conversations with the costumers and help them find what they needed. Hardest part was making sure you have the store closed within 15 minutes.
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 20, 2012
Open shop,set up tills,recieve orders and put them out, set up displays, greet all customers and assist them in finding what they needed as well as promote store sales,work cash register,do bank deposits. Management was friendly and co-workers were pleasant. The hardest part of the job was standing for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the customer and fulfilling their needs.
A workplace that will enhance your abilities.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: weekends off, considering its a retail store
Cons: limited hours
A typical day at work involves greeting customers and attending to their needs. Creating an environment that is friendly. I learned to be more patient and be more accommodating to others. My co-workers are fun to be with and i have learned a lot from them especially being a newcomer in the retail field.
Unrealistic expectations
Third Key Holder (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 6, 2015
Carlton Cards is a good company, however, the store I worked for had zero management. The manager did nothing to help the employees in any way, there was never any proper direction given. Part- timers trained new employees who barely knew enough themselves, and the expectations of the part-time employees was ridiculous given the time frame of the shift and the fact we were alone running the store.
It has very friendly customers that come in to shop.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto OntarioJune 9, 2015
I enjoy helping the people that come in. I have learned many things over the years there and I'm very grateful. I have also had the chance to work with some wonderful people. Even there have been ups and downs I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel like I have grown as a real person working at this job.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 3, 2013
Pros: fun place, good people, good environment
Cons: closing of the store
Athlete's World was a fun place to be. It was a pretty busy and popular store when it was still open. Alot of people my age shopped there so it was nice to see people you'd know or meet new people. the hourly wage was a bit over minimum so I couldn't complain. Co workers were the best! Boss was the nicest.
Gained experience for my desired job path as an office clerk.
Co-op placement (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: great workmates to work with. close to home.
My main duties were to open and sort mail before delivering it to the Accounts Payable department.

My other duties were to find and photocopy paperwork for the Accounts Payable department. Helped out in the mailroom to sort mail for the various departments within the company.
Good Retail Experince
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 24, 2015
I enjoyed working at Carlton Cards because it kept me active and there was always plenty of things to do around the store. People were friendly and I was glad to be able to assist people in finding what they need and keeping the store stocked and clean.
My Dream Job
Cashier Sales /Associate (Former Employee), Brantford, ONMarch 27, 2015
As a sales associate and a team player, this was the best job I have ever had. Great managers, co-workers and customers of all ages. It was a very sad day when the store had closed, I have still stayed in touch with co-workers and customers(friends) to this very day. Learned so much.
Great first job, gained a lot of experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Morden, MBDecember 29, 2015
Great first job, which provided a lot of useful on the job training. Taught how to open and close the store, Handle large amounts of cash and how to deal with customers.
Manager is an incredible guy who is very understanding.
too short hours ,enjoyable place to work,
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: manager, co-workers, challenging displays, customers
Cons: short hours
It was enjoyable fun place to work, I was fun working on displays and working with my co-workers. I enjoyed talking with the public. I really enjoyed work at this store . It was so sad when the store closed it's doors
Positive Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Barrie, ONDecember 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, supportive management
I have been there for 3 years in total and find it to be a great place to work and grow. The supportive management made it possible for me to work and do full time post secondary education.