Carlton Cards

Carlton Cards Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
too short hours ,enjoyable place to work,
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: manager, co-workers, challenging displays, customers
Cons: short hours
It was enjoyable fun place to work, I was fun working on displays and working with my co-workers. I enjoyed talking with the public. I really enjoyed work at this store . It was so sad when the store closed it's doors
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 3, 2013
Pros: fun place, good people, good environment
Cons: closing of the store
Athlete's World was a fun place to be. It was a pretty busy and popular store when it was still open. Alot of people my age shopped there so it was nice to see people you'd know or meet new people. the hourly wage was a bit over minimum so I couldn't complain. Co workers were the best! Boss was the nicest.
Average retail job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 21, 2013
Average retail job with typical upsale requirements and stipulations.
Customer Service position
Sales Clerk/Evening Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, onOctober 9, 2013
Pros: good company to work for
Cons: low wages
First Job, Part time while still in school
Very little, minimum wage
Calm and Welcoming environment to work in
customer service, cashing, and store maintenance (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 18, 2013
calm and slow paced environment. Giving the best individual attention to the customer for the best experience.
Fun, Easy Customer Service Part Time Sales Associate
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2013
Customer Service
Sales Associate Retail
Own your selling skills
Gift shops
productive, and flexible work place
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBApril 20, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: not enough hours
Working for Carlton Cards as a merchandiser is a great part-time job because I am like my own boss. I work independently when I am available and am good at it, but the hours a very little.
Gained experience for my desired job path as an office clerk.
Co-op placement (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: great workmates to work with. close to home.
My main duties were to open and sort mail before delivering it to the Accounts Payable department.

My other duties were to find and photocopy paperwork for the Accounts Payable department. Helped out in the mailroom to sort mail for the various departments within the company.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 12, 2013
Manager is awesome to work for. Very energetic staff that creates a fun atomosphere.
very average place to work for
Material Handler (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2013
was a temp job nothing else really to say but was glad when it was
over
It was and ok job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 4, 2013
This was not one of my favourite jobs there was no moving up here.
Card store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: easy work.
Cons: long boring days.
Had to do lots of merchandising and putting stock away. Worked alone, which made some day boring and long. Learned a lot about merchandising.
The People and the Product Make This Job Worth It
Keyholder (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: wonderful customers and co-workers, schedule flexibility, pleasant store atmosphere
Cons: no opportunities for advancement, no performance reviews, low wage with no increases, fluctuating hour availability
This job is won or lost in how passionate you can become about the product you're selling; you need to care if your customers find the right thank you card for their dog walker, or the right picture frame for their mother, or that perfect Valentine's gift. The product and store atmosphere are the parts of this job I can't imagine trading. That and my – more... co-workers. The type of people working in card stores are usually the cheerful, optimistic, friendly kind, which makes your co-workers become your friends, especially in such a small store environment with so few staff.

However, the job is not without its downsides. There is very, very little opportunity for advancement with a staff that small. And in non-peak seasons (from March to September, essentially), head office cuts payroll hours significantly, meaning fewer to go around. And there are no benefits to be found unless you are a full-time employee - meaning a full 40 hours, not the maximum of 35-39 they might give a non-management associate. And it can be hard to make a living when the pay is one step above minimum wage, and you don't receive regular performance reviews to have a chance for a wage increase.

Overall, I would recommend the job if you are looking for a pleasant place to go to work everyday, with no aspirations of growing a career there or saving up any "extra" cash. – less
Carlton Cards
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: amazing co-workers, good learning opportunity, everything was pretty good/
A typical day would consist of cleaning and organizing and selling to customers. I learned how things work in a card shop and all the attention to details that need to be done to make everything look right. Management was fairly nice and where very accommodating. My co-workers where amazing and so friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part of the – more... job was figuring out where everything was suppose to go because of the high volume we got. The best part of the job was learning how to do all of those things and having a wonderful team to work with. – less
Manager
Manager (Former Employee), TillsonburgDecember 18, 2012
Great opportunity to manage and train staff, sales, pictograms, banking
Friendly, Well managed, good products
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 14, 2012
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: only part-time hours
I enjoyed working for Carlton Cards. They were a supportive company and my hours were flexible. I enjoyed helping people, stocking shelves and setting up holiday displays.
learning experience, gained alot of skills
Manager (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 17, 2012
This has been a great learning experience for me. I've gained alot of skills from the 12 yrs that I have put into this company.
A workplace that will enhance your abilities.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: weekends off, considering its a retail store
Cons: limited hours
A typical day at work involves greeting customers and attending to their needs. Creating an environment that is friendly. I learned to be more patient and be more accommodating to others. My co-workers are fun to be with and i have learned a lot from them especially being a newcomer in the retail field.
Great place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONSeptember 24, 2012
I enjoyed my opportunity to work for Carlton Cards, the environment was friendly and worth every minute.
productive and quiet workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: working alone, good hours, close to home
Cons: working alone, the little amount of customers at times
I was trained for the first week on what I was expected to do because I would be working alone for the most part. I was still in school so I was only able to work on the weekends.

A typical day at work was pretty simple; I'd get to work take the money out of the safe and count a certain amount for the day, I had to make sure the person who closed the – more... night before balanced out the money correctly. As soon as I was done with the money, I would start opening up the store, turn the lights on and take out display tables. I would mainly work the cash register, keep up the cleanliness of the store, open new packages, and help customers. At the end of the night, I would vaccumm the floor, take out the cash and count to make sure it was balanced.

The hardest part of the job was the very beginning, getting used to working alone. I was always worried I would make a mistake on a sales transaction and wouldn't know how to fix it. Fortunately, the mistakes I did make were nothing I could not fix, or call a co-worker and ask for some assitance.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone, I didn't mind the quiet when there weren't very many customers. It gave me a sense of independence; to do everything from start to finish on my own. – less

1 2 3

About Carlton Cards

Like its customers, Schurman Fine Papers (dba Papyrus) strives to make the┬áright impression. The company, which operates stores – Read more