Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Productive and Satisfying
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2017
Reading and implementing emails sales promotions working with customers.
Stronger visual understanding
Understanding management family
Interesting card store environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 February 2017
Slow paced environment that always kept you busy. A variety of different skills required, and each shift was different. Requires merchandising, customer service, organising, money management, and a knowledge of computers
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyable working for Carlton Cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Typical day at work was interacting with customers and assisting them with all their needs.

Good atmosphere, management was easy to get along with.
Pros
Employees were nice.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney Nova Scotia28 December 2016
Manager and assistant manager bad mouthing district managers
Manger bad mouthing the staff behind their back
Manager would be scheduled to work specific days by the company but would want those days off so she would call or text you last minute to make you work it, unknown to the company.
Manager would forge your initials on bank deposits
Company would threaten your hours if you didn't get the sales and in a smal.mall you might not have the foot traffic but they didn't care.
Place was always filthy and messy
Manager always on her phone and always on break
Terrible place to work
Wonderful company..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 September 2016
I enjoyed working with Carlton cards very friendly co workers wonderful management .This company shows their staff that they appreciate the work they do. Really good discounts for staff. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for work.The only thing I didn't like was always have to wear black..
Pros
good discounts
Cons
wearing black..
Busy and productive work life, enjoyable interactions with coworkers and customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 August 2016
A typical day at work started with arriving 20 minutes before the mall opened to set up and balance the cash registers, organize last nights bank deposit and tidy up before customers arrived. The mornings often started out slow and traffic picked up steadily throughout the day. We got shipments once a week, ranging from 5 boxes to 35 boxes, so when you weren't assisting or ringing up customers, you were unpacking shipments; restocking current products and merchandising new product.

I got along very well with my co workers and my manager worked hard to make sure everyone was satisfied and that the store was in tip top shape. I enjoyed learning under her, and she taught me a lot about patience and working with customers.
Pros
Hard work ethic and strong relations with co-workers
Cons
Understaffed
Fun and Lively Work Atmosphere
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 November 2015
A typical day at Carlton for a Part-Timer is mainly cash and cleanup. The store has high customer traffic so usually there needs to be a person on cash at all times. Also, because there are so many customers, the store gets disorganized quickly. The products are fun to display and examine, and the promotions are simple and easy to explain to customers. Informing customers about the VIP Card Club is difficult sometimes but it is a good deal! Management is a little wobbly at the moment but overall, very nice people to work with.
Pros
Easygoing staff, variety of customers, awesome promotions and interesting/exciting products
Cons
Unstable line of staff/management
Fast-paced environment
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2017
A typical day involved sales of clothing and helping customers as necessary and stocking shelves. I learned how to work with many different personalities.
Sales Associate + Key Holder
Sales Associate Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
My first retail job. This job was ok for an 18 year old to learn responsibility. I had my purse, money, new glasses stolen from someone who was stealing money from all locations so I don't think it was very safe job.
Pros
Sales Associate and promoted to Key holder
Cons
Too much expectations from young people
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
I like working for carlton cards because its a nice store and they had lots of the same customers.. I didn't like the manger all that much she was kind of rude to all customers but now that store has closed down
Carlton Cards
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2016
Store management is good but upper management above the district manager is out of touch with the location. Continually cutting hours and increasing workloads, forcing management to work less hours per week to save the company money. Frequently piling numerous tasks on with no extra hours. It got to the point that the store manager had to take stress tests and almost had a nervous breakdown and this was somebody with years of management experience in other higher volume toy stores. District manager fought for her teams but it always fell on deaf ears. Customers were fairly friendly and product was decent, but the upper management deteriorated in the last 3 years.
cashier
Clerk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 April 2016
the job was decent, but no room to grow. Managers were nice, but the politics weren't easy to deal with. Worked as a cashier, dealing with customers and having to do till closing in the morning and night depending on when we worked.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Opportunities for improvement
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 May 2014
A typical day begins with me either opening store or coming in during lunch hour, usually moving stock from one area of the store to another to make space due to receiving excess stock as it must always go out on the floor straight away. Organizing and disorganizing cards, helping customers find what they are looking for, and closing the store as quickly as possible at the end of the day.
Pros
Flexible hours where possible
Cons
Breaks are not regular, shifts are not regular unless they are inconvenient(ie regularly late nights and weekends), no job advancement, no pay raises, no one to cover on sick days, understaffed without likely hood of hiring extra employees, sudden hour cuts, lack of communication, lack of training
Slow paced environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 June 2016
A good entry level job for people learning to work retail, the stores are generally slow paced and allow for easy training and adjusting.
Wonderful Experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS1 June 2016
The card industry is a challenging one. Always straightening up and relocating and helping customers pick the perfect one out. Plus, the accessories that go with cards, wrapping papers, ornaments etc.
Pros
Great selection of cards
Carlton Cards
1st Key holder Sales (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 April 2016
I enjoy working for the company. Although there is no room for growth in the company as they are closing 34 store Canada wide. The staff are a enjoyment to work with. I have learned about Receiving of product and shipping product out of the store. I have also been able to learn about the deposits and how to calculate last years sales and this years...
Positive Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 December 2015
I have been there for 3 years in total and find it to be a great place to work and grow. The supportive management made it possible for me to work and do full time post secondary education.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive management
Carlton Cards only hires part-time, and you would be lucky to get more than three hours a week
Customer Service/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Peterborough Ontario, canada11 April 2016
I work only three - twelve hours a week. Greeting and helping customers. Work alone 99 % of the time. Enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
No Pros.
Cons
No breaks when working all day sundays
Nice place to work, with nice people and a great district mannger
Manager and CSR (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON7 March 2016
-40 hours a week, excellent co-workers, working with customers was my most enjoyable part of the day and was just a very pleasant place to work.
Pros
loved working with people
Cons
making sure all employees did the work assigned and in a timely fashion
Unrealistic expectations
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2015
Carlton Cards is a good company, however, the store I worked for had zero management. The manager did nothing to help the employees in any way, there was never any proper direction given. Part- timers trained new employees who barely knew enough themselves, and the expectations of the part-time employees was ridiculous given the time frame of the shift and the fact we were alone running the store.