Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Fun and inspireing workplace
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 February 2017
Working at Carton I would be responsible for Opening or Closing the store, I learned all of my merchandising and shipping and receiving skills from Carlton Cards. The management was fantastic everyone was very easy going and great listeners. My favourite part of working there was listening to peoples stories good and bad, laughing together or trying to brighten up someone's day I always left work feeling good about myself knowing I could help someone.
Pros
Customers, Organized, Easy going
Cons
Few staff, Long Hours
Interesting card store environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 February 2017
Slow paced environment that always kept you busy. A variety of different skills required, and each shift was different. Requires merchandising, customer service, organising, money management, and a knowledge of computers
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyable working for Carlton Cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Typical day at work was interacting with customers and assisting them with all their needs.

Good atmosphere, management was easy to get along with.
Pros
Employees were nice.
Productive and Satisfying
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2017
Reading and implementing emails sales promotions working with customers.
Stronger visual understanding
Understanding management family
Fast-paced environment
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2017
A typical day involved sales of clothing and helping customers as necessary and stocking shelves. I learned how to work with many different personalities.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney Nova Scotia28 December 2016
Manager and assistant manager bad mouthing district managers
Manger bad mouthing the staff behind their back
Manager would be scheduled to work specific days by the company but would want those days off so she would call or text you last minute to make you work it, unknown to the company.
Manager would forge your initials on bank deposits
Company would threaten your hours if you didn't get the sales and in a smal.mall you might not have the foot traffic but they didn't care.
Place was always filthy and messy
Manager always on her phone and always on break
Terrible place to work
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
I like working for carlton cards because its a nice store and they had lots of the same customers.. I didn't like the manger all that much she was kind of rude to all customers but now that store has closed down
Wonderful company..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 September 2016
I enjoyed working with Carlton cards very friendly co workers wonderful management .This company shows their staff that they appreciate the work they do. Really good discounts for staff. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for work.The only thing I didn't like was always have to wear black..
Pros
good discounts
Cons
wearing black..
Sales Associate + Key Holder
Sales Associate Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
My first retail job. This job was ok for an 18 year old to learn responsibility. I had my purse, money, new glasses stolen from someone who was stealing money from all locations so I don't think it was very safe job.
Pros
Sales Associate and promoted to Key holder
Cons
Too much expectations from young people
Busy and productive work life, enjoyable interactions with coworkers and customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 August 2016
A typical day at work started with arriving 20 minutes before the mall opened to set up and balance the cash registers, organize last nights bank deposit and tidy up before customers arrived. The mornings often started out slow and traffic picked up steadily throughout the day. We got shipments once a week, ranging from 5 boxes to 35 boxes, so when you weren't assisting or ringing up customers, you were unpacking shipments; restocking current products and merchandising new product.

I got along very well with my co workers and my manager worked hard to make sure everyone was satisfied and that the store was in tip top shape. I enjoyed learning under her, and she taught me a lot about patience and working with customers.
Pros
Hard work ethic and strong relations with co-workers
Cons
Understaffed

Want to know more about Carlton Cards?

Ask a question
Slow paced environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 June 2016
A good entry level job for people learning to work retail, the stores are generally slow paced and allow for easy training and adjusting.
Wonderful Experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS1 June 2016
The card industry is a challenging one. Always straightening up and relocating and helping customers pick the perfect one out. Plus, the accessories that go with cards, wrapping papers, ornaments etc.
Pros
Great selection of cards
cashier
Clerk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 April 2016
the job was decent, but no room to grow. Managers were nice, but the politics weren't easy to deal with. Worked as a cashier, dealing with customers and having to do till closing in the morning and night depending on when we worked.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Carlton Cards
1st Key holder Sales (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 April 2016
I enjoy working for the company. Although there is no room for growth in the company as they are closing 34 store Canada wide. The staff are a enjoyment to work with. I have learned about Receiving of product and shipping product out of the store. I have also been able to learn about the deposits and how to calculate last years sales and this years...
Carlton Cards only hires part-time, and you would be lucky to get more than three hours a week
Customer Service/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Peterborough Ontario, canada11 April 2016
I work only three - twelve hours a week. Greeting and helping customers. Work alone 99 % of the time. Enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
No Pros.
Cons
No breaks when working all day sundays
Nice place to work, with nice people and a great district mannger
Manager and CSR (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON7 March 2016
-40 hours a week, excellent co-workers, working with customers was my most enjoyable part of the day and was just a very pleasant place to work.
Pros
loved working with people
Cons
making sure all employees did the work assigned and in a timely fashion
Working at Carlton Cards
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK10 February 2016
Out of all my jobs, Carlton cards is probably my favourite job, I love the relationships I made working there. Were closing , that is why I'm looking for a job elsewhere, There is not much I don't like about this job, I have met alot of people working here.
Pros
Relationships
Cons
Were closing
Autonomie
étalagiste (Former Employee) –  montérégie8 February 2016
Être capable de gérer notre horaire, les clients et l'inventaire des cartes
Carlton Cards
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2016
Store management is good but upper management above the district manager is out of touch with the location. Continually cutting hours and increasing workloads, forcing management to work less hours per week to save the company money. Frequently piling numerous tasks on with no extra hours. It got to the point that the store manager had to take stress tests and almost had a nervous breakdown and this was somebody with years of management experience in other higher volume toy stores. District manager fought for her teams but it always fell on deaf ears. Customers were fairly friendly and product was decent, but the upper management deteriorated in the last 3 years.
Great first job, gained a lot of experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morden, MB29 December 2015
Great first job, which provided a lot of useful on the job training. Taught how to open and close the store, Handle large amounts of cash and how to deal with customers.
Manager is an incredible guy who is very understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carlton Cards. Our community is ready to answer.