Carleton University Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Beautiful campus, surrounded by river, trees, birds, with gym, tennis, squash,
Hardware and Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2017
Carleton University is a beautiful self-contained microsmic clean, and refreshing campus. It is a privilege to work at Carleton University because it is conducive to work, and study.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Flexible hours
Good money, less work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 September 2017
They give a well paid teaching assistant job. But make sure you get the right professor with right amount of work load. Very nice workplace culture but make sure they don't overwork you. Always get advice from the union if you face any troubles.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 August 2017
As a teaching assistant, you can learn a lot. Additionally, pay is good even though you have to spend lots of time preparing materials. Professors at Carleton are good and responsible.
Typical day in the lab
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2017
My role was to manage the laboratory session of the course. I briefly re-explain the theory that was taught in class and how we were to further investigate that theory in the lab.
One of the top universities in Canada
Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 July 2017
Great university and one of the top in engineering and business management. It has great potential to acquire any projects or academic media environment
Pros
Free commute
Cons
Short contracts
Fun and informative
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2017
Lovely place to work and gain hands-on experience with animals. Great food, friendly staff, hard work and of course, turtles!
The experience and knowledge you gain from the biologists lasts a lifetime.
Excellant place to work
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2017
Treated very well here. Coworkers were great to work with. Management were open to new ideas and also allowed you to work independently or seek opinions from other coworkers,
Pros
Reasonable work hours
Cons
Pay for parking
Amazing opportunity!
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 June 2017
I was able to work from home or campus with a flexible work schedule. I learned how to use many computer programs and format documents. This was a wonderful opportunity for me as I was still a student.
Perfect Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2017
I am a research nut so this job was ideal. It paid well and allowed me a lot of independence. Unfortunately it was a contract position and my time there was limited.
Teachers Assistant
Financial Accounting Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2017
This was just an unpaid volunteer position to get extra credit for my second year of university. It did require a little more time than I had expected but it was a fun teaching experience.
Pros
Teaching Students, Extra Credit
Cons
Takes up a decent amount of time
A very challenging and rewarding experience
Systems Engineer / Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
Fourth year final project modelled a real world engineering environment. Very much enjoyed the challenge of applying academic experience to a real world problem.
Great place to work during my undergrad studies
Stacks Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 May 2017
I highly recommend working a campus job while in your undergrad/graduate studies. What was great about MacOdrum was that everything was online based, so you could drop a shift from your bedside and have it picked up within minutes.
good workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2017
require independent work, will work for a professor but no direct supervision. Good interactions with other students and a good pay for the number of hours.
Fun and progressive workplace
Jack.Org Chapter Collaboration Director (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2017
Being a student and balancing extra curricular activities can be difficult. Carleton University has a wide range of things to be involved in to find what you are passionate about.
It was a fun work experience
Part-time project coordinator for the READ (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2017
The hours were very flexible and you have your supervisors help at every step of the way.He would make recommendations and give you valuable advice you would need for your later career.He will let me direct my research the way I want then provide him with weekly reports on my progress.Once he goes over my research we schedule a meeting were we would discuss our next step.It was very fun.
Pros
Important responsabilities
Friendly and welcoming environment
Sports Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2017
After spending the year working for the university's athletic department, I would recommend it to anyone. Working in sports information, specifically, allows employees to work on campus and gives them a portfolio of credible published work to take with them.
very nice professors
Contract Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2017
I worked with a very helpful professor that taught me a lot about a topic that I was not very familiar with. Not only did he give me the opportunity to learn new stuff but also he paid me for that
Highly productive and great working environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2017
Good working conditions, high growth and advancement potential and there is job security and the pay is good. The management knows what they are doing and very professional.
Students helping Students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2017
Being a TA you often find yourself dealing with marking the work of people who are ostensibly your peers. It's very enjoyable, but be prepared to divide up your time.
Pros
Good compensation, pleasant culture
Cons
Busy schedules
Friendly Workplace
League Official (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
I throughly enjoy working at carleton, fun and nice people to work with although there are few hours to go around and little room for advancement in the workplace. Most employees are students.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Minimal Hours