Carleton University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Working Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 31, 2016
Great working environment, supervisor and co-workers. Plenty of opportunities to expand your knowledge on numerous topics and procedures.
It was rewarding
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 8, 2016
Pros: Good Hours
Cons: Payment
a typical day as a TA changed constantly, some days I had to read a lot essays and correct them and mark according to the professor guidelines previously given.
I learned to better organise my time as, I learned to balance my school and work schedules.
I also learned to be a bit more confident when talking to larger audiences, since I would occasionally talk to and supervise classes of 30 students
The hardest part of the job was probably reading people's hand writing
All the activities implemented for the learning of a foreign language can be fun and entertaining, they are also good ways of memorising concepts
A PhD in Computer Aided Design group (Carleton University, department of electronics), with several years of industry experience. Looking to employ ex
PHD researcher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
years of industry experience. Looking to employ expertise in CAD industry analytical problem solving,
embedded software development and research projects in a position that allows me to pursue my interest
in research in a fast-paced and innovative environment
Student
Student (Group Member) (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2015
Its an amazing experience working with other student, whether they are graduate or undergraduate students. University helped me to improve my skills in different ways such as; independent studies and independent researchers and as well as group project and team work.
great university
volunteer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 4, 2015
good university to work for. got many industrial experiences working on state of the art projects. highly recommend this
Productive and competetitive workplace for projects
Body and Frame designer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 29, 2015
Carleton University is a place that enhances your capabilities in all areas of engineering, professors, graduate students, TAs and Volunteers will help you complete the work if required. Its a competetive place and challenging but enjoyable for students.
We all love Carleton
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 27, 2015
Nice working place. Professor in Carleton University are extremely helpful on your project. Stuff in Carleton University create a nice working environment.
Assistant Proctor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 23, 2015
I only worked here temporarily but, it was a great experience. My typical day pretty much involved distributing examination papers and supplies to students, and then collect it after completion. My co workers were kind and helpful.
great university
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), ottawaOctober 21, 2015
Great study environment for studying, great teachers. Great program that aims to develop your technical skills from the ground up.
Good place to work with.
Contract Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 21, 2015
Good place to work with. I enjoy working here. Colleagues are nice. Environment is excellent. Everything is good. It is a good place for long-term work.
Awesome place to work!
Event Organizer (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 3, 2015
Pros: great environment, the management is fantastic.
Cons: wished they offered longer programs
I loved being and working here. Being from Brazil and living in Canada within the past 7 years made me comfortable in working and learning from difficult cultures.
You get a permanent post if you master hypocracy
Educational development centre, EDC (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Free education for the kids if you get permanent
Cons: No real job security, Napotism, No accountability
It is very difficult to land a job at Carleton University even if you are the most qualified person in the world. You need someone to sneak you in. Then to get permanent post you need to satisfy your bosses ego. it does not matter if you are good at you job or not, you need to know how to satisfy your boss ego. As at Carleton university, there is no accountability for the manager or directors. It is public money that no knows how it is spent. The university is now shifting more toward casual and term assignment as it gives managers and directors the freedom to fire their employees whenever they feel like it. And the employees union will do nothing. The union behavior is very shameful. The university administration toys with the union as they want and the union never did anything.
Capable stuffs, fast-paced and challenging environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), OttawaJuly 28, 2015
I learnt a lot in this position from professor on DNS and fluid dynamics. The practical experience in the lab also provided me a lot of chances to apply my knowledge. Due to the complicity of our models, the challenge i got in everyday work really made me better.
Productive and organized workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 29, 2015
Working in Carleton University is the most important and memorable work experience of mine because it enlightened me of working as an administrative assistant can be so much fun. The working environment was great because everything is well organized and I felt myself can fit in that environment very well. The faculties were very knowledgeable who taught me how to work in a fast pace and how to work under the minimal supervision. Sometimes I worked in the front desk as a receptionist. I found myself a lot of enthusiasm in communication and working either independently or in a teamwork. Communication and perform multitasks are the most enjoyable part of this job. My interpersonal and teamwork skills got practiced during that work. I value the experience of working in Carleton University a lot.
great environment
Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2015
Overall difficult but manageable. student atmosphere was fun to be around. learning environment was great. Faculty members very knowledgeable and supportive
Casual Employee Payroll Profile Process Project (Current Employee), OttawaFebruary 25, 2015
Carleton University is a great place to work. The projects are very engaging and the team is awesome. There is room for growth and opportunity to learn. Overall, Carleton University is an awesome environment to work.
Hectic and challenging
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: slept very little
This job was essentially creating guided experiments for undergraduate classes. It was a summer position and the experiments I was creating were to be used in September, so there were very acute time pressures. Though I was able to consult with technologists and professors employed by the university, most of my work was autonomous and concerned with researching the subjects the experiments dealt with.
Productive and fun work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 8, 2015
I gained a lot of knowledge working with professors and students.
Excellent pay for limited responsibility
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2015
I had an excellent time of working under a Professor. Instruction usually flowed consistently between management, me and the students.

The work itself was fairly unambiguous and satisfying. It is short term though and does not impart a degree of skill and expertise that a longer term job would.
A good place if you have good connections
Instructional Technology Coordiantor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: benefits if you are one of the lucky ones
Cons: everything that can be foud in a bad work place
I have been working at Carleton university for several years. While I like the type of work I do, I do not like the management system. Most of the university departments lack qualified project managers. Money are being wasted on creating new projects with no sustainability planning or long term sight.The university is over staffed on the top management position but critically understaffed on the support services. Getting hired in a permanent position is almost impossible if you have no active connections to sneak you in. qualifications required are only on paper, but it who you know that gets you in regardless of qualification. And if you are part of minority group, then good luck getting a permanent job