Carleton University

Carleton University Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great environment
Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 12, 2015
Overall difficult but manageable. student atmosphere was fun to be around. learning environment was great. Faculty members very knowledgeable and supportive
Casual Employee Payroll Profile Process Project (Current Employee), OttawaFebruary 25, 2015
Carleton University is a great place to work. The projects are very engaging and the team is awesome. There is room for growth and opportunity to learn. Overall, Carleton University is an awesome environment to work.
Hectic and challenging
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: slept very little
This job was essentially creating guided experiments for undergraduate classes. It was a summer position and the experiments I was creating were to be used in September, so there were very acute time pressures. Though I was able to consult with technologists and professors employed by the university, most of my work was autonomous and concerned with researching the subjects the experiments dealt with.
Productive and fun work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 8, 2015
I gained a lot of knowledge working with professors and students.
Excellent pay for limited responsibility
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 5, 2015
I had an excellent time of working under a Professor. Instruction usually flowed consistently between management, me and the students.

The work itself was fairly unambiguous and satisfying. It is short term though and does not impart a degree of skill and expertise that a longer term job would.
A good place if you have good connections
Instructional Technology Coordiantor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 3, 2014
Pros: benefits if you are one of the lucky ones
Cons: everything that can be foud in a bad work place
I have been working at Carleton university for several years. While I like the type of work I do, I do not like the management system. Most of the university departments lack qualified project managers. Money are being wasted on creating new projects with no sustainability planning or long term sight.The university is over staffed on the top management position but critically understaffed on the support services. Getting hired in a permanent position is almost impossible if you have no active connections to sneak you in. qualifications required are only on paper, but it who you know that gets you in regardless of qualification. And if you are part of minority group, then good luck getting a permanent job
Productive and resourceful and highly inspiring place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 25, 2014
Pros: lively environment
Carleton is the best place to work because of its highly resourceful people and management. It always have events going on and very lively environment. The success stories are motivating and inspiring.
Good student position, difficult to get shifts off/covered
Senior Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great facility
Cons: management is overworked, pay is low
This job requires you to be available constantly, it is difficult to schedule time off.

If you are looking to work here as a student, know that the scheduling is imperfect. You will end up fighting to get an exam date covered, or running from the pool to class with no time in between.

The management team is overworked and difficult to deal with. In a fit of stress or rage, our boss "fired" all 40-something Lifeguards and told them they had a few weeks to work harder to earn their jobs at the pool.

I did enjoy the intense in-service trainings, and a lot of the Supervisors' depth of experience.

Teaching lessons at Carleton was difficult. The pool is cold and the class sizes were often really large (especially during the summer camps). The support from the Supervisors (Carleton's version of Head Guards) was lacking due to the number of classes and other work they had to get done during lesson blocks.

The facility itself was a lot of fun to be at. Ropes, dive towers, and spring boards were all present.

Overall, I chose not to return based on the aggressive management and well-below-average pay.
Great place for a student interested in research.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2014
Excellent access to knowledgeable faculty, great peer groups and multiple opportunities to work on chosen area.
Very open to innovative research
Mobile Pulse Oximetry Research (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 3, 2014
I found the environment to be stimulating and supportive of innovative research. I had a general direction but had the freedom to work on what I found most interesting.
Interesting, productive, learning and a challenging environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 18, 2014
It was a research work of my Masters program funded by NSERC Engage program. During this period, I discovered my interest on IP networks, TCP/IP, topology discovery and routing protocols. It was a challenging work that shaped up my analytical ability to solve critical problems. My supervisors were really cooperative and helpful. I enjoyed my work with a lot of enthusiasm and passion.
A great place to start your career
Assistant Student Advisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: working on campus...means i was never late for class!
Cons: none.
A typical day at Carleton University involved sorting mail, responding to emails and answering phones as well as providing customer service. My coworkers and managers helped me develop the skills needed to perform in all future jobs.
Productive Day to help my fellow Staff and manager proceed successfully with the elections
Voting pole clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 27, 2014
Pros: socialized with student and got to know people
got to maintain a legal strict voting environment as instructed
Provided information for students with the proper instructions on how to vote
Wrote down the name and last name of the voters and the time of the vote
followed instructions meticulously to close the voting box at a certain time and hand it in to the manager safely
handled situations responsibly and problem solved sticky situations
Great school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 15, 2014
I've been a student and a TA here for several years.....great place to learn and to work. Everyone in my department is knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic.
Good intellectual environment for academics
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low salary
Flexible hours and opportunity to engage in thought-provoking discussions.
Very good
Research Assistant (Contract Position ) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 18, 2014
Clear guidelines and very good co-workers.

Very useful trainning.
Summary
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 15, 2014
Pros: i leant a lot of information
Cons: it was somewhat dangerous to my health
A typical day at work can been seen as:
I arrive at work, an organic chemical lab. I begin categorizing organic chemicals as well as inorganic chemicals. I then proceed to label, manage, organize, write inventory, and dipose of waste chemicals. Upon completion i would go home. This was my job everyday.
Very good employer.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJune 10, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short hours
Working alongside a Professor was very rewarding.

Instructing the students was challenging at times, but ultimately enjoyable.

It was satisfying to know that I made a difference in their grades, and their education.
Good wage, little opportunity for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), OttawaMay 12, 2014
This was a fairly quiet office environment with very little opportunity for advancement. I unfortunately did not find the job particularly challenging but management and coworkers were nice and friendly.
creative and fun workplace- scientific procedure
3 month IT Supervisor (Former Employee), ottawaMay 10, 2014
creative and fun workplace- scientific procedure-work along education

1 2 3

Carleton University Photos

Typical day in the field