Carleton University Employee Reviews

Biology Lab Assistant
Lab assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2016
Maintained Laboratory work area and equipment, such as sorting, collecting and entering data. Performed specific laboratory research procedures as well as prepared specific experimental lay-outs. Adhered to correct laboratory procedures, policies and health/ safety measures.
Very Flexible with work hours according to your school load.
Caring Work Environment
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2016
Helping students with disabilities who live on residence meet their daily needs. Helping them with personal care as well as rising and retiring, toileting, dressing, laundry and light housekeeping
Pros
Down time in between calls
Cons
Long Hours
Great Experience!
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 November 2016
The job taught me a lot about working in a lab and provided me with great experience that I can further apply in both school and future employment opportunities.
Fun interacting with students
Math Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
I reinforced Mathematics concepts taught by Professors by hosting problem solving sessions. I enjoyed interacting with the students and designing class materials to improve student's grasp on the course material.
Pros
I had the oppurtunity to reinforce engineering course material in my mind, by teaching it to 1st, 2nd & 3rd year students.
Cons
Students exams, usually coincided with my exams. Marking exam papers took away from my preparation time.
mediocre
Postdoc Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 November 2016
unstable, lack of funding, no research roadmap. not so good work space. office environment is not good. printer not working at times, window broken, lengthy office work and processes.
Great Experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 November 2016
Good place to work, lovely people, enjoyed my experience.

On a day to day basis, i enjoyed the work, although at times, the job would get lonely, it was in a library after all.
Pros
Good Breaks
Cons
Can get boring
Nice learning
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON22 August 2016
 Grading students’ assignments
 Holding office hours to provide students with help, including answering technical questions and dealing with their mental issues
 Report to professors
Pros
Nice learning
Cons
people do not show up
A good place if you have good connections
Instructional Technology Coordiantor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2014
I have been working at Carleton university for several years. While I like the type of work I do, I do not like the management system. Most of the university departments lack qualified project managers. Money are being wasted on creating new projects with no sustainability planning or long term sight.The university is over staffed on the top management position but critically understaffed on the support services. Getting hired in a permanent position is almost impossible if you have no active connections to sneak you in. qualifications required are only on paper, but it who you know that gets you in regardless of qualification. And if you are part of minority group, then good luck getting a permanent job
Pros
benefits if you are one of the lucky ones
Cons
Everything that can be foud in a bad work place
No comment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 August 2016
I have no comment to make at this time related to Carleton University working environment. I'll provide this information at a later date.
Great benefits, work life balance, but no abilities to grow.
Assistant Director, Finance and Business Dev. (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2016
Work starts at 9:00, until 5:00, normally I will stay until later. I have to come some weekends depending on the needs.
I am able to do great workouts here.
There is a lot of opportunities for professional development but the hardest part is the inability to grow since this is a medium size company.
Pros
Free gym, free university tuition, great pension plan
Cons
No ability to grow
University study/internship
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 July 2016
This university has a lot to offer for very specific programs and work terms.

Very dysfunctional with a bad attitude overall.
Amazing people
Founder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 June 2016
Fun and supportive environment to work in. I am still in the process of learning but have successfully been able to keep up with this demanding position as an assistant.
Nice university to study at
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2016
Carleton University is generally a tough place to study at for Engineering but most professors are nice and willing to teach you if youre willing to learn. Only issue really is that it can be overbearing as there is a lot of work to do.
Great place to get involved within the school
Volunteer Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2016
Learned to take and make efficient notes that would help the students of the Paul Menton Centre, as well as help keep me organized.
Pros
Helped me to keep track of notes and stay organized for each class
Cons
At times, the 48 hour window was not long enough in regards to certain classes
Good for student
Special Events Staff at the UndeRecruitment Office (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2016
As a student was working with my schedule and it was a good opportunity to meet and great future student. Amazing supervisor
Pros
Free Lunches, school gears
Nice work environment.
Energy Analyst/Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2016
Carleton has a nice work environment and the work load is very balanced. The work is exciting and everyday there are new challenges to deal with. However, the pay and benefit is not that great. Also, management may seem disorganized at times.
Excellent volunteer experience
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 May 2016
Even though I was a volunteer in two different labs over the past year, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Great training, and I really loved working with the people in both labs.
It was rewarding
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2016
a typical day as a TA changed constantly, some days I had to read a lot essays and correct them and mark according to the professor guidelines previously given.
I learned to better organise my time as, I learned to balance my school and work schedules.
I also learned to be a bit more confident when talking to larger audiences, since I would occasionally talk to and supervise classes of 30 students
The hardest part of the job was probably reading people's hand writing
All the activities implemented for the learning of a foreign language can be fun and entertaining, they are also good ways of memorising concepts
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Payment
Close knit office environment
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SUCCESS OFFI C E (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Great boss and fellow employees. Worked together to make sure international students got where they were going and had an enjoyable time doing it.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 May 2016
I've learned how to perform extensive research in a timely fashion and conduct in depth interviews with key informants.

4.2