Carleton University Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice work environment.
Energy Analyst/Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 15, 2016
Carleton has a nice work environment and the work load is very balanced. The work is exciting and everyday there are new challenges to deal with. However, the pay and benefit is not that great. Also, management may seem disorganized at times.
Great benefits, work life balance, but no abilities to grow.
Assistant Director, Finance and Business Dev. (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Work starts at 9:00, until 5:00, normally I will stay until later. I have to come some weekends depending on the needs.
I am able to do great workouts here.
There is a lot of opportunities for professional development but the hardest part is the inability to grow since this is a medium size company.
Pros
Free gym, free university tuition, great pension plan
Cons
No ability to grow
Awesome place to work!
Event Organizer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 3, 2015
I loved being and working here. Being from Brazil and living in Canada within the past 7 years made me comfortable in working and learning from difficult cultures.
Pros
great environment, the management is fantastic.
Cons
wished they offered longer programs
Fun interacting with students
Math Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 30, 2016
I reinforced Mathematics concepts taught by Professors by hosting problem solving sessions. I enjoyed interacting with the students and designing class materials to improve student's grasp on the course material.
Pros
I had the oppurtunity to reinforce engineering course material in my mind, by teaching it to 1st, 2nd & 3rd year students.
Cons
Students exams, usually coincided with my exams. Marking exam papers took away from my preparation time.
It was rewarding
Spanish Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 8, 2016
a typical day as a TA changed constantly, some days I had to read a lot essays and correct them and mark according to the professor guidelines previously given.
I learned to better organise my time as, I learned to balance my school and work schedules.
I also learned to be a bit more confident when talking to larger audiences, since I would occasionally talk to and supervise classes of 30 students
The hardest part of the job was probably reading people's hand writing
All the activities implemented for the learning of a foreign language can be fun and entertaining, they are also good ways of memorising concepts
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Payment
You get a permanent post if you master hypocracy
Educational development centre, EDC (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 8, 2015
It is very difficult to land a job at Carleton University even if you are the most qualified person in the world. You need someone to sneak you in. Then to get permanent post you need to satisfy your bosses ego. it does not matter if you are good at you job or not, you need to know how to satisfy your boss ego. As at Carleton university, there is no accountability for the manager or directors. It is public money that no knows how it is spent. The university is now shifting more toward casual and term assignment as it gives managers and directors the freedom to fire their employees whenever they feel like it. And the employees union will do nothing. The union behavior is very shameful. The university administration toys with the union as they want and the union never did anything.
Pros
Free education for the kids if you get permanent
Cons
No real job security, Napotism, No accountability
Great place to get involved within the school
Volunteer Note Taker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
Learned to take and make efficient notes that would help the students of the Paul Menton Centre, as well as help keep me organized.
Pros
Helped me to keep track of notes and stay organized for each class
Cons
At times, the 48 hour window was not long enough in regards to certain classes
Caring Work Environment
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 6, 2016
Helping students with disabilities who live on residence meet their daily needs. Helping them with personal care as well as rising and retiring, toileting, dressing, laundry and light housekeeping
Pros
Down time in between calls
Cons
Long Hours
Nice university to study at
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 29, 2016
Carleton University is generally a tough place to study at for Engineering but most professors are nice and willing to teach you if youre willing to learn. Only issue really is that it can be overbearing as there is a lot of work to do.
A PhD in Computer Aided Design group (Carleton University, department of electronics), with several years of industry experience. Looking to employ ex
PHD researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 13, 2015
years of industry experience. Looking to employ expertise in CAD industry analytical problem solving,
embedded software development and research projects in a position that allows me to pursue my interest
in research in a fast-paced and innovative environment
Good for student
Special Events Staff at the UndeRecruitment Office (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 8, 2016
As a student was working with my schedule and it was a good opportunity to meet and great future student. Amazing supervisor
Pros
Free Lunches, school gears
Close knit office environment
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SUCCESS OFFI C E (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 4, 2016
Great boss and fellow employees. Worked together to make sure international students got where they were going and had an enjoyable time doing it.
Excellent volunteer experience
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
Even though I was a volunteer in two different labs over the past year, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Great training, and I really loved working with the people in both labs.
Engaging
Receptionist for FIT:Action (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 5, 2016
Working at a counselling program allowed me to interact with students and provide them with helpful feedback. I enjoyed this job because of it's engaging environment.
Review
Peer Conduct Board Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Carleton. It provided many opportunities and the people were amazing. I enjoyed working with students and seeing them develop.
productive and fun place to work in
Laboratory assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 27, 2016
It was fun to work there, I have gained a lot of experience, friendly environment and co-workers, I absolutely loved working there.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 15, 2016
I've learned how to perform extensive research in a timely fashion and conduct in depth interviews with key informants.
Summer Research Assistant
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 18, 2016
Depends on the Professor under whom you work. I was lucky to have one of the few good profs. Got great mentoring and tutoriship
My first job
Personal Attendant, Attendant Services (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 9, 2016
McDonalds gave me the ability to grow as an individual. Having an income for the first time, it gave me the freedom to make my own choices.
Progressive and Innovative
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 22, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team at Carleton to develop and design the program. They are very helpful and have all the right processes in place.

4.3