Carleton University

Carleton University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 15, 2014
I've been a student and a TA here for several years.....great place to learn and to work. Everyone in my department is knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic.
Good intellectual environment for academics
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low salary
Flexible hours and opportunity to engage in thought-provoking discussions.
Very good
Research Assistant (Contract Position ) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 18, 2014
Clear guidelines and very good co-workers.

Very useful trainning.
Summary
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 15, 2014
Pros: i leant a lot of information
Cons: it was somewhat dangerous to my health
A typical day at work can been seen as:
I arrive at work, an organic chemical lab. I begin categorizing organic chemicals as well as inorganic chemicals. I then proceed to label, manage, organize, write inventory, and dipose of waste chemicals. Upon completion i would go home. This was my job everyday.
Very good employer.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJune 10, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: short hours
Working alongside a Professor was very rewarding.

Instructing the students was challenging at times, but ultimately enjoyable.

It was satisfying to know that I made a difference in their grades, and their education.
Good wage, little opportunity for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), OttawaMay 12, 2014
This was a fairly quiet office environment with very little opportunity for advancement. I unfortunately did not find the job particularly challenging but management and coworkers were nice and friendly.
creative and fun workplace- scientific procedure
3 month IT Supervisor (Former Employee), ottawaMay 10, 2014
creative and fun workplace- scientific procedure-work along education
Wonderful experience with research assistanship
Research assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 1, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: contract is signed only for a limited period of time
I've had an amazing experience working for one of the professors at Carleton University. My job was to analyze her research data and meet regularly to discuss our findings
one of the best companies I worked for
teacher assistant (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 31, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: lots of prep work
usually it is 3 hour long shifts, that start with a presentation for the students to explain the lab procedure they were going to perform, then help the students set their station and perform their experiments answer all their question regarding the chemical reaction, after lab reports and assignments.
I learned how to be prepared and meet the deadlines – more... for marking and returning assignments and exams, also learned management skills through supervising over twenty students. In addition I gained skill in team work to insure the students learn well.
the hardest part of the job was preparing for the class and for all sort of questions, how ever teaching and helping others was very enjoyable – less
The nicest people!
Project Management Consultant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 25, 2014
Pros: the people!
Cons: lack of funding!
One of the best places I've worked! The people are just very friendly, kind and nice. Everyone's ideas and suggestions are met with positive and open attitudes.
Fun and productive place to work
Student Caller (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 19, 2014
A typical day would be calling various alumni and/or parents to ask for their support towards particular funding.

I learned skills of sales and fundraising. My co-workers were great!
The hardest part of the job was facing rejection of people telling you no.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the weekly shift challenges, monthly themes and incentives.
nice place to work
Computer Science Course Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 5, 2014
Good place to wok
Fair to ta's
Good experience
A fun job
Often seem's to be on the verge of a strike
Amazing outdoor experience
Geotechnical and Research Field Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: working outside
I worked as a Research assistant for a Hydrologist. I worked outside most of the time in a beautiful park and in a wetland. I learned all about
Collection of water samples for Mercury sensitivity, cycling, and impact within the lakes and watershed.
Collection of fish tissue samples for Mercury bioaccumulation. Storage of water and fish samples and timely
dispatch – more... to laboratories for analysis.
Collection of lake and stream water samples for Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC), Ions, Absorbance,
Fluorescence, Chlorophyll, and Isotopes.
YSI Sonde, Diver water level loggers, and Secci data collection.
Processing and analyzing Chlorophyll concentration..
I worked with other students and professors. – less
Summary
Academic Tutor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: free food, good flying, meeting people
Cons: heat
Go on the weekends to the flying club. Introduce new aspiring people towards flying. Fly at least 3 times a day provided the aircraft were available. Co-workers were great to work with, hardest part was the flying, the most enjoyable part was meeting all kinds of people, cultures, races etc.
Job satisfication
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 5, 2014
I understand how to vigorous for the company it is to the success to ensure that all systems are 100 percent ready to consumer use before releasing them to the market.
Great Place to WOrk
Fitness Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: shifts remain uncovered sometimes
Fun and exciting work atmosphere. Happy to help individuals on their path to fitness. The place is packed with hard working students willing to help out community members
educational facility with many talented and highly-motivated individuals
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 8, 2013
As a graduate student and a research associate the daily routine was very busy, working on a wide variety of tasks, such as the research project, course assignments, preparation of teaching material, preparation of reports and presentations.

The best part about this work place is the exposure to many sources of educational material, from journal papers, – more... to books, to experienced professionals. At the same time much knowledge gets passed around and exchanged through discussions with peers and colleagues.

The hardest part of the work is achieving a proper work-life balance. – less
loved the experience, met so many people
Residence Fellow (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 4, 2013
Earned an incredible opportunity to exercise my leadership and team working skills as a residence fellow. I met dozens of freshmen who lived in my building and elsewhere around campus that came from all over the world with so many stories and experiences. I managed a floor and organized events and maintained a healthy environment by moderating arguments – more... and resolving them effectively. – less
Fun Environment, helping students learn!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 14, 2013
Pros: deal with new people and find new challenges every day.
Cons: too many emails from the union manager.
Super rewarding helping students learn, watching them grasp concepts. Prepare and run labs and tutorial sessions as well as correct weekly assignments and midterms. Also had a great opportunity to lead design teams for a fourth year engineering project, developing a power station turbine. The hardest part of the job was getting up SUPER early for the – more... early morning sessions, but it was really rewarding helping kids understand concepts. – less
Informative
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 25, 2013
I am currently pursuing my degree and working on my research. I have learned a lot about the field I am working, mining, also I learned a lot about my capabilities during my degree. I am doing numerical modelling currently hence I can also work at home which is the main advantage. The hardest part about my job is that I am using a open-source program, – more... which people are not familiar with, and it may take few hours to run the code. – less

1 2 3