Carillion

Carillion Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Temporary agency assignment
Secretary to Finance Director (Former Employee), Wolverhampton, ENGMay 8, 2014
Pros: good work experience
This was a 2 week assignment where a typical day involved diary management, booking meetings online through outlook, typing minutes, answering phone and distributing post. Learned how to book meetings via Outlooks online booking system. Hardly any interaction with the management as they were mostly offsite. Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
Friendly Work Place
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee), BirminghamMay 6, 2014
A typical day at work would be creating vacancies and processing candidate’s hours using a system called Dynamics. I have learnt how to deal with queries effectively and efficiently, I am polite and easy to talk to when solving problems.

I feel the management here is not the best. There is no communication from manager to employee, if ever there is – more... any communication there is as little as a days notice to get something completed. Such as a change over of umbrella companies this is impossible to do in such short notice but as a team we got this done.

My co-workers are great, they are very supportive and we ensure to help each other out when needed. The hardest part of my job would be approaching managers with problems that I face, I feel you should be able to approach your managers with anything you feel is a problem however this is impossible to do.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be coming into work everyday and know I have the support of my team if it is needed. I love my position in the payroll team and have a very good working relationship with the Cardiff branch which is who I process payment for. – less
Learning new things, Fun and Positive place to work
Apprenticeship (Current Employee), Gateshead, ENGMay 3, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, working in teams, being paid weekly
Cons: long tireing hours, work placements a far to travel
8 o'clock start
learn different things such as different types and styles of painting and wallpapering.
shown how to complete these new things and allowed to try it for yourself.
All people were approximately my own age apart from the lecturers.
The on site placement and perfecting the new this you had to learn. Placement because i didn't enjoy who – more... i was working with they tended not to be very positive and didn't converse with me very much. Perfecting the new techniques because they occasionally were very frustrating to learn.
The early finishes on Friday were the most enjoyable though I liked to socialise with my co-workers and learning the new types of painting and wallpapering as the techniques as they are very interesting. – less
good place to work
Upholsterer / Floorer (Former Employee), Queen Alexander HospitalApril 29, 2014
Pros: sick pay / holidays clean
Cons: management
Pick up tickets for the day hand completed tickets at end of day.
Pick up furniture and deliver it back.
The management wasn't people friendly.
The hardest part of the job was gaining access to the furniture or flooring while patients still in there.
Seeing the jobs complete and done to the best of my abilities
good
Cleaner (Former Employee), Aztec WestApril 15, 2014
Atmosphere great with people well to deal with. I learned to operate the machine for cleaning.
Very productive
Territory Admin in Facilities (Current Employee), Normanton, ENGApril 14, 2014
Pros: close to home, could be flexible in time of need
Cons: audit trails
Concept Room Booking - adding new users, new sites, room bookings and password re-sets for Virgin Media.
VM Teleconference Line Bookings
BMT - Period of Unavailability (POU) logging with ORS.
Weekly BMT Utilisation Spreadsheet, checking against Fusion
Uploading of LLCs to RAMIS and closing down as advised by the Helpdesk. Raising Remedials off the back – more... of.
Arranging, attending and taking minutes at Territory Team meetings, including drafting SAG Agenda's and updating TM of actions of last meeting.
Set up for New Starters; ID's, system accesses, site passes, equipment, laptops, mobiles / PDAs etc, both Carillion and Virgin Media
Hire Vehicles & Fleet queries, including project work such as booking in Telematrics installations and ordering fobs, together with collation of Driver ID Forms.
Ordering site and Carillion stationery. Maintaining delivery notes, together with a stock tracker; chasing all outstanding/backfill orders.
Managing all travel and hotel requests via online Portman, tracking regional expenditure.
Updating RAMIS with LLC documents and raising reactives
Drafting SAG Presentations, attending meetings and minuting.
Collating monthly holiday and sickness returns
Maintaining Contract Database, including contacts list, temporary assignments and turf list
Maintaining Asset Lists
Input hours worked by engineers
Maintaining Regional Territory Administration User Guides
Tool box talk weekly submissions and tracking monthly returns.
Collation of Carillion and Virgin Media Induction Training
Maintaining BMT Tool Kit Lists & Inspections
Liasing with FMs to keep Stakeholder lists up to date quarterly.
Distribute monthly Regional Expenditure to the Facilities Management team – less
Passionate Railway Professionals
Site Manager (Current Employee), Midlands, ENGMarch 6, 2014
Pros: office is 3 miles from home
I will produce a program with all work activates on site with a planed start & end dates. Numbers of staff for each activate & any plant required and all permits needed on site.
Also hire in Specialist personnel when needed from a Carillion approved Labour supplier. The planed work will be on the Carillion Race Card with midweek works days or nights – more... & weekends

On a daily basis I am involved with making sure that every one is fully aware of the works on site. I will delegate certain scopes of the work out to the supervisors as to what controls are in place for all activities they will be looking after on site.
I will make sure that we conduct the planed work in a controlled manner always accessing as the work progresses and if we need to stop and rethink things we will do so accordingly this will be captured on the POWRA form.

Co-Workers
I have the privilege to be working alongside some very knowledgeable/highly skilled/motivated & all-round good bunch of Railway & Construction professionals. – less
it taught you what you needed to know
PAINTER AND DECORATING (Former Employee), HounslowFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: in phase two of training you got paid a basic apprentice wage
Cons: if your assessor wasnt in or absent they sent you home without pay.
it was good as a training collage because they taught the specific skills needed to earn a job with your specific trade. but they couldn't provide a long term job at the end of the contract period.
poor company to work for
insulation installer (Former Employee), kentFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: nil
Cons: weather
Collect work orders load up communicate properly with all concerned poor management no skills co workers very good hardest part of jobs not being able to do it enjoyable part job completion
ok place to work
(C&J) Carpentry and Joinery Apprentice (Former Employee), kings crossFebruary 16, 2014
ok place to work it was good but cold on site but appart from that it was a grate workplace
Just your usual working environment on a building site
Groundworking Apprentice (Former Employee), BishopbriggsFebruary 16, 2014
I didn't enjoy the time I spent there as I wasn't interested in construction
Productive and fun workplace
Bricklayer (Former Employee), Sunderland, ENGJanuary 15, 2014
The work life at carillion was good, the management where friendly and could help if you had any problems i learned a numerous amount of different types of brick work bonds. i also learned how to concrete. the hardest part of the job was some of the paperwork but the most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers were there anytime you needed help – more... in the workshop when the teacher wasn't available by helping another candidate. – less
I enjoyed my work and the people i worked with
Upholsterer (Current Employee), Portsmouth, ENGJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: holidays sickness pension
Cons: management
I would turn up early at the hospital have a cup of tea read a paper before starting the day. I would then collect tickets that had been put on the system the previous day plus ongoing tickets and prioritize them. Some tickets had hour time scales and others had days.There were two of us in the workshop both with separate tickets. I would go through – more... his tickets and prioritize them for him. If we needed a hand on a large job we would both help each other. I would then collect the furniture take them back to the workshop order what materials required. If materials would take a week inform the client and give them a date when the furniture would be delivered back. Our workshop was away from the main hospital so had to walk a long way with the furniture pushing up hill i would say the hardest part of the job. That being said collecting furniture from around the hospital i got to meet a lot of different people and made quite a few friends. Most of my co-workers had different jobs to do around the hospital but we would have chat at breaks and when passing each other in the corridor. Management hi up at my place aren't people friendly at all taking no interest in the workers only what then can get out of them. A few of the lower managers are great, you can have a laugh with them and be more than willing to help them when they ask. I learned to keep my head down get on and do my work then your left alone. – less
Bricklayer
Bricklayer (Former Employee), MiddlesbroughDecember 20, 2013
was terrible, i didnt know what i wanted to do at that time in life.
Enjoyable
Bricklayer (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGDecember 6, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: was only 12 weeks
I learnt alot on the course. Enjoyed learning new skills and getting involved in something new. The co-workers were all great and i got on well with them. The most enjoyable part would be the enthusiasm of the course, i was never bored.
Very friendly staff and real good work ethics
Aslaid Technician & West Midlands Planner (Former Employee), Kingswinford, ENGNovember 12, 2013
Pros: flexibility of work
Cons: lack of management present
Start at 8am - very friendly staff - jobs completed previous week, go through the packs and - complete the designs and all relevent paperwork ready to be sent to clients for payment. Learnt how Gas Supplies are laid and how connections are fitted and all the differnent types of plant and equipment that is used to make it all happen.

management is non – more... existant, due to being based in Manchester I had probably seen thiem approx 4 times in the two years working for the company.

My co-workers are like a second family - we have ups and downs due to the pressures of work loads. but we are still very close.

meeting all deadlines on a regular basis.

working with wonderful people. – less
friendly environment
bricklaying tutor (Current Employee), Middlesbrough, ENGNovember 8, 2013
In this role I had to supervise and target the new apprentices and guide them through their qualification. I taught them basic/skilled ways to do bricklaying.

Supervising and instructing lower level apprentices has enhanced my leadership skills and enabled me to build on my interpersonal skills.
not what expected
GCO (Former Employee), Glasgow, SCTNovember 3, 2013
i feel as if i didn't really learn any thing from carillon as all we done was sit in the class room and done paper work. when i first went to carillon we were told the first 3 month we would be in the class room doing paper work and learning on how to use equipment properly and then after we learned we would be put out on placement. which
didn't happen – more... i was in the class room for 5 month witch i feel was unfair as i was looking forward to going out on placement and learning new stuff – less
Does not offer Career progression
Role -System/Network Engineer (Current Employee), WolverhamptonOctober 24, 2013
Pros: excellent company, people and enjoyable place to work
Cons: no career progression
Monday to Friday 9-5. learned IT, and Management we dont really deal with,

Co workers are fantastic, Hardst part of my job is stay positive with constant out source, most enjoyable part is coming to work everyday.
never a dull moment
Finishing Foreman (Former Employee), Swindon, ENGOctober 8, 2013
loved it
always busy on such a large job
supervising labour
toolbox talks
snagging
materials ordering
general supervision
and lots more

About Carillion

We provide all of the services needed to create and manage places and infrastructure; from project finance, design and construction – Read more