Carillion Employee Reviews

always great providing a service to the community
Plow Driver (Former Employee) –  Emsdale, ON27 June 2017
Very dangerous at times. Just another challenge. Always enjoy new ventures. I enjoy working and maintaining my own truck. Kinda fun dealing with angry public while maintaining my composure while keeping them safe. I just wish Carillion had a campaign explaining how and why our road rules are necessary.
Pros
always great working with a co-operative bunch of guys and (gals)
Cons
Just wish we had more time to work on our designated trucks
management is on a pedestal.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 May 2017
Working within this job has showed me you can not trust anyone, even a "professional"company.

Management has proven time and time again, they do not care for staff.
Weather it be going back on their word or to never dealing with issues reported more than once.

When management is sick or has a health problem they are able to be accommodated right away.
But yet when another staff member has a serious health issue they have to bend over backwards to "qualify" for any help from the company.
Everything is a double standard, that is just one example.

It's a very sad thing, because the workers are hardworking, trustworthy and reliable.
This company would have a greater success rate if they took into consideration to show appreciation to these workers more often.

The only words I could use to describe this company is; a snake.
Pros
respectful coworkers.
Cons
management does not know the definition of; Management.
I've had better jobs
Licensed Plumber/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Petawawa, ON30 April 2017
the job is good enough. not to stressful and great guys to work with. benefits fine. pay is low for the amount of things they'd like you to do. Could be managed better
Pros
the work and coworkers
Cons
the contract and management
Typical Day
Snowplow Driver (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 October 2016
Typical day: drive snow plow to plow major highways. Co-workers: great co-workers. Hardest part of the job: dealing with traffic. Learned: how to run a wheel loader
great company to be a part of
Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB28 September 2016
good team of people to work with
opportunity to go places in the province I not yet been
Steady constant employment
Lots of room for advancement, relocation
Snow plow driver
Plowing (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON25 September 2016
Responsible for salting, sanding, and plowing highway 401, on and off ramps. Completing pretrip inspections, daily log books, and winter operation records. Used a front end loader to load the trucks with salt.
Poor management
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 September 2016
Excessive work load that isn't manageable for one person. Back breaking work, zero recognition from management team.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
work load & physical labour
Flag person/Summer worker (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB7 July 2016
it was a great job but the long hours really killed me. but the time and a half was great easy to make money but be warned your very much working for it
Pros
great pay
Cons
super long hours
worst work environment i've ever been in. management is terrible.
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB29 June 2016
Typical work day consists of getting to work a few minutes before start time, which is 7:30 usually. No one talks, everyone sits in silence until the foreman decides to get out of his office. Sit there a little bit longer in awkward silence.... now its maybe 9:00 am. He then assigns tasks to be done for the day and then everyone leaves. Tasks are done and finished throughout the day, as quickly as possible. The day ends at 4pm so crew members start getting back to the shop between 3:30 and 3:55pm. No overtime allowed. The foreman then tells everyone, jobs are not being completed quickly and they are loosing money, people might have to start getting sent home, ect... Maybe the foreman should have his STUFF together in the morning so the employees can start working at 7:30, not 9:00. Maybe the company wouldn't be loosing money.
Good training and good work teams.
DZ Snow Plow / Salter Driver / Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2016
Several excellent training programs were administered which was career enhancing. They are very organized and constantly preparing for winter storms. The have many call in co-workers so there is plenty of interaction with a variety of skilled workers. There are long hours of waiting to go out. The pay is less than the competition but it is a great team to work with.
Pros
A variety of training available.
Cons
Lower pay than competition.
Good opportunity to aquire many transferable skills.
Patient/ Client Services/ Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 February 2016
Fast paced environment.
Learn something new everyday.
Great if you enjoy working on a team.
Work with nice people.
The hours are very flexible due to varying shifts.
Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Good company and management. Flexible environment
Cons
Have to work a lot of weekends and holidays. 24/7 365 schedule
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton30 September 2015
Co workers were very friendly and helpful. It was like a family. Less politics. There was a great variety in the type of work we use to perform.
snow plowers
Snow Plow Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener,ON26 February 2015
When contacted must report within 30mins of the time that you were called. They are a friendly group of people to work for. You rotate shifts every week. It was sometimes scary working in bad weather to clear highway when people try to pass you and cut you off.
Pros
stand by
Cons
continental shifts
The hours were long-we were the first team on the road and the last to leave.
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 February 2015
The work for this company was very interesting,with a good crew.The hours were long-we were the first team on the road and the last to leave.Because safety(worker and public)was so critical it kept you on your toes at all times,and made for an exciting work day.
Dedicated team with hoopla and fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 March 2014
Although I was not paid at this position, I was treated as such. I enjoyed the experience with all team members because they expressed that I was welcomed. I was treated equally. From what I saw they worked well professionally as individuals and as a team. I never had any problems because they were up-front and were not afraid to let me know if I needed to be corrected in a positive manner and visa verse. I was able to utilize my skills and help every department to the best of my ability and I really appreciate it.
Productive, Fun
Herbicide Applicator (Former Employee) –  AB3 January 2014
Great place to work if you dont mind travelling and working hard.
fun work crew
road maintenance, flagger (Former Employee) –  St.Paul, Alberta29 April 2013
-Provided sufficient training for the job to ensure safety
-Long hours but great crew
-Our supervisor was well trained and caring about his employees (gave enough breaks, flexible lunch hours)
Pros
Great work team, great pay, work outside
Cons
Long hours, bad weather, lots of driving
Very busy environment. I love that I am part of the William Osler Team at the Brampton Civic Hospital.
Purchasing/Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 November 2012
The job is very busy, fast-paced, with close attention to detail. We rarely do anything that is fun or team-building..ie, pot-lucks, group lunches, group events. We work hard all day long and most of us eat lunch at our desks because it is difficult to squeeze a lunch break into our day.
I love that the day is busy and goes by quickly. However, I feel like we are not valued for the amount of effort we put into our work, and feel like maybe a few "fun" or team-building events would benefit employee morale.
Advancement within the company is difficult as they threaten to remove our pension plan with the hospital, should we wish to move to another opportunity. We feel like we are stuck in the position we are currently in.
Pros
our salary and benefits are fair.
Cons
no appreciation and no opportunities for advancement.
awesome team