- oversees horticultural needs for the department
- maintains horticulture equipment, keeping equipment in good/clean order, reporting problems to the Supervisor, Operations & Maintenance
- prunes shrubs, trees and performs flower bed maintenance
- custodian of lawn furniture and flower bed designs
- assists the Plant Operations and Maintenance Manager in developing a long term horticulture plan for the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre and the Royal Ottawa Place Campus at 1145 Carling Avenue including courtyards and Interior plantings.
- oversee landscaping activities to ensure grounds and plantings are maintained to original design concepts.
- perform the maintenance operations necessary to establish and maintain vigorous growth of all plantings on sites
- water once weekly or as required to obtain optimum growing conditions. Ensure adequate moisture in root zone at freeze-up.
- keep soil, within confines of planting beds, shallowly cultivated, free from weeds
- keep tree stakes, wrapping and guy wires in proper repair
- provide adequate protection against winter damage and damage by rodents
- fertilize in spring and fall with appropriate fertilizers
- record and report damage due to salt, snow removal, or vandalism
- manage irrigation equipment watering grounds, trees, flowers, etc
- on a daily basis walks the property and picks up all garbage (litter, cigarette buts, etc)
- twice daily basis picks up all garbage (litter, cigarette buts, etc) at building entrances
- on a daily basis picks up all garbage (litter, cigarette buts, etc) in parking areas
- on a daily basis picks up garbage from outdoor litter containers
- operate ATV, tractors, snow blowers and pressure washers
- makes/assists in minor repairs to building exterior, grounds, sidewalks, roads and parking areas
- assist in cleaning job sites, on property
- assists other trades performing routine tasks on property
- responds to fire alarms as a member of the fire brigade
- other duties as deemed necessary by the department
- during inclement weather may help out in shop area performing maintenance helper duties
- ensures completed work orders and duty logs are inputted to CMMS on a timely basis and reviewed by Supervisor, Plant Operations and Maintenance.
- oversee site snow removal contracts
- inspects and removes icicles from roofs, fire escapes and overhangs
- is responsible for snow removal and de-icing at all entrances, exits and courtyards during regular working hours, available for call backs as requested.
EDUCATION AND SPECIFIC TRAINING REQUIRED:
Secondary School Diploma or Equivalent
Diploma in Horticulture from a recognized community college or equivalent
Valid Driver’s licence.
Three years previous experience in horticulture or maintaining the grounds and plantings in and around commercial/institutional properties.
Responsible on a day-to-day basis for making decisions on what is required from a horticulture aspect.
Failure to perform job could cause injury to patients, staff and visitors.
Errors in judgement could result in damage of trees, shrubs and flowers.
WORKING WITH OTHERS:
This position works with all members of the Facility Services Team.
Maturity, tact, discretion and a pleasant personality are required dealing with ROHCG staff, volunteers and patients.
Reprots to the Supervisor of Plant Operations and Maintenance
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL DEMANDS:
Moderate exertion required. Constant walking, climbing, shovelling, etc.
All conditions associated with working four seasons outdoors (rain, cold, heat, wind, snow, etc)
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT OUTDOOR WORK IS REQUIRED DURING WINTER AND SUMMER MONTHS. DURING THE WINTER, OUTDOOR GROUNDSKEEPING DUTIES SUCH AS SNOW SHOVELLING IS REQUIRED.