Carillion Canada Employee Reviews

Stressful place to work
corporate (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON31 January 2018
Company was amazing when i first started. Felt like a family everyone wanted to work together. Last few years we have been faced with many challenges and the company lacked communication and structure. Multiple people producing same tasks resulting in duplication of work.
Cash Management (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 January 2018
Working there has been a good experience. and typical corporation work environment. I am thankful for the opportunity, and look forward to my future.
not a healthy environment
current employee (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 January 2018
Do what the Senior Leaders tell you but don't do what they do.
The UK company sent all their friends on fat salaries and bonuses ignoring the local talent.
They parachute General managers with 0 experience. One of them who went back to UK 1 week after. We don't have trained and skilled people in Canada?
They made good leaders leave the company and the result? Bankruptcy. This is Carillion.
Fun Workplace
Filing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Smaller Unit however working for a large company. Management was amazing for the temporary position that I was working on. Lot of paper work which I enjoy.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Work site was muddy
learn something new everyday
OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 January 2018
I entered this job with no experience and everyday I was given the opportunity to learn new skills. I got to preform a wide range of different tasks from plowing snow to removing roadkill from the highway. I am thankful for each co worker and the training they provided.
Pros
Fun and Challenging
Cons
Unorganized and inefficient
Safety First
Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Wandering River, AB16 January 2018
Company is very safety Orientated about Highway use and maintenance.

We have table safety meetings every morning and monthly.

Maintain equipment on a schedule basis and fix equipment on a timely basis.
Pros
Lots of Hours
Cons
Company office doesn’t communicate with employees especially about company Financials
Derogatory and sarcastic to the employees
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 December 2017
The management talks to the employees in a derogatory and sarcastic manner all day every day. No Christmas bonus no Christmas party no Christmas card even.They can't even say thank you.Management is more concerned with blaming the employees with it's own shortcomings than accepting the blame for failure at the jobsite.
Pros
Paid vacation and medical/dental coverage
Cons
Derogatory and sarcastic to the employees
Tough place to work
unknown (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2017
Carillion is a tough company to work for - structure is chaotic - they are reactive with no time or resource to be proactive
It's a shame really because there are some great people working there p they just don't have the authority to make decisions and those who do make decisions do so with little regard for the Canadian portion of the business.
There are different rules for everyone. Class based system
Pros
flex hours and volunteer opportunities
Cons
lack of structure and management accountability
good place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Burk's Falls, ON26 July 2017
The day shift was great. Was laid off for 3 months and never went back. The job was easy and the hours worked quite well for me and my family. Went to work for a better job
not sure what to say
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON1 June 2017
Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do but you suck it up and do it anyway, and that's what teaches you humility, work ethic, responsibility, and follow-through
Brutal place to work.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 April 2017
This was one of the most thankless jobs Ive ever had. They dont pay very well at all and care very little about the health and well being of their drivers. They expect constant on call 24 7 and will work you until you cant walk anymore. They are horrible when it comes to women in this company. Most of the drivers are perverts and drunks or drug addicts although they have a few decent ones. And if one of these perverts do something derogatory the dist mgr simply gives them a slap on the hand. Most of the drivers at least in my division wanted to sleep all shift and complain constantly when asked to do a job. When asked to be on shift with others instead I simply got a too bad from the boss. I worked there for two seasons and will never go back. The public is also very unappreciative of your efforts as I constantly had people giving the finger or dirty looks or swerving towards the plow. Put simply youare way overworked and bossed around. Underpayed and not apperciated. It makes you miserable. They have NO concern for employees.
Pros
Not many. If any at all.
Cons
Way too many to list.
It was a good place to work
Utility Construction Working Foreman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario31 March 2017
It was a interesting place to work, I worked in the utility department, the people were fun to work with, the age group was a lot older then I was at the time.. was able to advance my skills and learned different ways to construct in the business
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
moving around alot
Work Place Culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 March 2017
I worked at Carillion Canada Inc. for a long time and i was so happy with my team and the work place culture was so friendly. As a new employee, i got help from every body.
Very satisfying
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 March 2017
At times it was a tough job but at the same time satisfying. Working with my staff and seeing them working towards advancement with the company was fulfilling.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Long hours could be physically exhausting
A fun place to work. Staff for the most make it a fun place to work. Management are good and helpful.
Emergency Response Driver/maintenance worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
I like it here. There is lots to learn and lots of provided training. For the most fellow workers are great. The hours are good and there is overtime available for those who want to work. Management work with you on any issue and are courteous and very knowledgeable. Would recommend Carillion to anyone out there. Carillion is a industry leader on may fronts.
Pros
Staff, hours, wages, benifets
Cons
Team building / Morale boosting events etc.
Nice place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mactier, ON18 January 2017
12 hour shifts Plowing 400 series highway.
This is temporary until I find a full time position in my field.
Work well with co-workers
Different aspects to the position include sometimes having to sit at road closures due to accidents.
Hardest part of the position is plowing in poor visibility.
Pros
Good Money when working
Great place to learn
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Castor, AB12 January 2017
• Committing to time constraints in maintaining the highways in keeping highways cleared of snow and ice
• Ensuring daily road reports for Alberta 511 were updated and correct
• Worked with team members to ensure safety of the crew and public were meet at all times
Busy place to work
Highway Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Warburg, AB29 December 2016
Would work doing highway maintenance, paving, pot hole filling, and snow removal. Worked well with a group. Enjoyed running equipment
Tight deadlines, but great pay and benefits
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB13 December 2016
Not a lot of interaction with coworkers Immediate supervisor was good, but upper management was hard to deal with. but good pay
Could notice the work done day to day when driving down highway and feel good about your work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB3 November 2016
There is no day that is the same. Everyday is a different, from replacing guide posts to replacing signs. Work with a different co-worker most days, so everyone gets along and works well together. Hardest part of job is plowing snow in almost zero visibility. Most enjoyable part is outside work and physical work.
Pros
physical work, always busy
Cons
long hours in the winter on call 24/7 for six months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carillion Canada. Our community is ready to answer.