Cargill Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun workplace
Logistics and Product Distribution (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 22, 2013
building/scanning/wrapping skids
loading/unloading/receiving/booking away finished product

Learned the distribution/logistics chain/process how raw material transfers into finished product cycled within the warehouse and how its eventually transported to our customers
I've was given task and responsibility of training new people

The management and co-workers of Cargill are exceptionally good at what they do. They put in a honest days work and treat everyone with respect while getting the job done safely and to the standards of the company

Their wasn't a hard aspect to the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was working for a great employer

The reason I am looking for a new job is because of the lack of job security and advancement opportunities.
Pros
working with people in team oriented situations, fast paced, culture, friendly environment, safety conscious
Cons
long drive and cold working environment (freezer)
Extremely high paced work place, a very diverse culture.
Slaughter Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABApril 7, 2012
I started out with Cargill Foods when the plant just opened. Was a labourer and worked very hard. I was noticed and was promoted to Lead Hand with in a very short time. After a year of performing well I was again noticed and promoted to Slaughter Floor supervisor. The culture at Cargill Foods was not fair towards employees with whom the upper management did not like, for what ever reason. I had to perform duties that were against my Ethics and Core Values. I stayed for seven years, but could not work in this culture any longer and had to find employment elsewhere.
Pros
excellent opportunity for advancement.
Cons
culture
Worst place ever
Accountant (Former Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 19, 2015
Worked at Cargill in Accounts department for less than a year.

I would say this is the worst company I have worked with in my entire life. Atleast the people that I worked with were like that.

Extremely unprofessional and biased attitude of the management. Salary is also on lower side. Won't recommend to anyone.
Pros
global presence
Cons
bad management attitude, extremely biased.
productive, Used to have Christmas parties, Thank-you and rewards.
Material Handler//Distribution/Production (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Early start times for day shift, learned a lot of different jobs and was able to join different teams,and gained a lot of knowledge.
Management was alright same as any place some good some bad, with different attitudes so handling people skills in some cases could of been better. Co-workers are arrangement of different ethnic groups so sometimes communication was a problem, trying to get them to understand what they need to do. It was mostly up to your co-workers to show you what you need to do, we trained each other.
Hardest part was always fast paced, cold and when you did good or great they always wanted more an would speed things up.
Enjoyable parts were long term ee. it felt like family cause you r with them more, sometimes more then your own. Rewards program, able to communicate if things could b better an did get feedbacks. So sometimes you could c something you suggested actually b implemented, that felt great.
Pros
had job security, unionized, able to rotate jobs in house opportuinity
Cons
fast paced. some long hours, cold environment.
Very productive, Physically demanding
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJune 22, 2015
As a Loader Operator I start my everyday work by double checking all of my equipment, machine,loading areas for any safety hazard if there is a problem i will let them(supervisor, lead-hand, safety maintenance) know right-away; and after any operations i always end it by cleaning and making sure all things that i used is on proper place In every day work i learned to manage my time and prepare things in advance, so there will be no rushing. To my co-workers, I'd like to have conversation, and maintain harmonious relationship even we are different in so many ways; The hardest part of my job is a sudden order that you're not prepare to do or sudden change of plan, in the end i always smile on it, i always keep on mind " no pain no gain" ; I enjoyed my job because i learned many different things and be able to meet different people that i call family.
Strong professional development opportunites, limited salary growth
Employee (Current Employee) –  LondonJuly 2, 2012
Cargill's work atmosphere and culture is good. Employees are encouraged to take on new responsibilities and it's easy to take charge of your professional development. Cargill provides a stable paycheck but your salary growth is limited.
Pros
opportuntity & job security
Cons
salary growth is limited
productive and more knowledge work place
Industrial butcher/meat cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB CanadaMay 15, 2015
8hours work 5 days a week
work hard
good
i learn to associate my other foreign co-worker
being alone in my position because luck of man power 2 or 3 person is needed
breaktime
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
long hours due to machine failure
Very safe place to work over the top !!!!!
General labor /Machine Operator/Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 18, 2015
Early start to every morning !!!
Our production is getting busier and busier everyday!
An alarm went off and all the management and co-workers responded accordingly.
There is no hard pert about my job and the most enjoyable is the volume of production my team and i do everyday!!
Understanding and managing change .
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 29, 2014
High risk fast pace , communicate with multiple departments and government agencies.
Delegate duties , acute safety responsibility , high pace execution.
Learn to lead.
Coach and develop trust with employees.
Align work and set goals valuing the company principals.

Give feedback and recognition - saying thank you.
Pros
compensation, benefits, support.
Cons
long hours, extreme stress and safety hazard .
friendly and happy workplace
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2015
Everyone was super friendly and happy in the early mornings. I enjoyed being in such a positive work environment. All the workers in the department were really nice.
Good to train you, then go elsewhere
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Canwood, SKMarch 4, 2015
No recognition for effort, management hasn't got a clue. You will be simply a number if you work for Cargill. Great place to train and become proficient then get a job elsewhere for more money and less work, like all of their employees do.
Pros
crash course in reality.
Cons
you will be used until you give up
Gym exercise
3rd Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMarch 17, 2015
Very good management and good work team, now I connect with them usually to talk about the life and future plan.
The most enjoyable of the job was to operate the equipment controls
productive and challenging workplace.
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee) –  High River, ABSeptember 14, 2012
in cargill, you are expecting for the unexpected because you don't know what happen during that day when you enter your shift for we are dealing with machines. I'm always prepared- physically, emotionally,intellectually and socially. I learned how to think broadly and manage my time and be flexible enough for changes in schedule like day or night for 12 hours. We knew our job descriptions vey well as the management oriented us, gave us updates and oppotunities to voice out our problems at work and treated us equally. With the co-workers, we treat each other with respect and dignity. The hardest part of the job is when you are alone at your post at night but I've learned ways how to deal with it and survive for how many years and became productive. When you are recognized for the job you've done and job well done is the most enjoyable part for it boost your esteem and inspires you to keep it up.
Pros
we are served with equal rights
Cons
i go home late for i have to wait and help my co-worker when there is a problem.
Stable and reputable multinational organization
Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  High River, ABAugust 21, 2012
Cargill High River is a good place to start a career in sales and marketing.
Pros
salary, benefits, rrsp, courses
Cons
work environment, local career growth limited
The comapny is ok to work for.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 6, 2013
A typical day at work is busy can be very stressful at times because of the amount of customers you have to deal with at times.
You must be highly efficient at all times. One mistake can be very costly.
Management could have been better in a lot of ways.
Staying focus on one task was not easy because of customer demands.
Satisfaction is the most enjoyable part of the day. When the customers are satisfied it feels good. You feel as if you accomplish something for the day.
Pros
employees discount was excellent.
Cons
yes, some days were long because you have to make sure the orders are filled and processed for that day.
Lots of OT
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
I loved working here because i put in a lot of overtime hours. I also loved it because I worked continental shifts. I just didn't like the fact that it was quite far from my house and their safety. Once i had my interview and orientation they stress safety so much, but when I worked for them they really don't care about workers safety or their concerns.
Pros
free lunches, sometimes.
Cons
safety is a 7 on a scale 1-10
Very fast paced work, high energy
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto On.November 21, 2013
If you are willing to work hard in a cold environment this is the job for you.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
cold
Not a good place to work.
Package Handler, meat cutter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 4, 2013
Co-workers are great to work with. Hardest part of the job Is trying to keep up with the line speed. Management are not on the same page with employees. Overall Cargill is not a good employer. A typical day at work is a very hard working day. Learned how to keep good hygiene in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with fellow workers.
Pros
free occasional lunches, coffee and donuts
Cons
production lines run way to fast, alot of injuries.
fun and productive
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJune 29, 2013
for me this is a very interesting job because during my fist day of my work I thought I couldn't do it sense this is not an easy job. what I've learned from this job is how to perform different welding positions like horizontal, vertical and overhead position. the hardest part is you are doing the overhead welding jobs but for me its a nice job and I'm having fun working with other people
Cons
DON'T WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!
slave to the grind (Former Employee) –  guelph, ontarioMarch 4, 2012
They mislead you!, they fire almost everyone before the 90day/3 month mark. They avoid paying wage increase and benifets by doing this, I worked there and witnessed many promises, and many fired, they do not want anymore people in the Union
Cons
oh boy, way to much to list