Cargill Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rycroft, AB8 November 2016
Everyday and every year is a different challenge. Products and environments are changing every season. The training the company provides is second to none and its hard to never be unprepared.
Hard working and fun environment
Sanitation Crew (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON2 November 2016
This job involves a lot of social skill as you work with a crew. The management are friendly and easy to get along with. My co-workers are easy going and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely withstanding the heat. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of seeing the difference of the room after doing a good job.
Pros
Break every 2.5 hours.
Cons
Never having a finish time.
"If your desperate for a job"
I'd expose myself if I said (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 October 2016
Work here a very long time. So I know what I'm talking about. This company, Cargill (Better Beef". Is on a decline if you decide to come in now. You will learn very fast. They do not care about your well being nor your life outside of it. Daily you will be required to do the jobs of two people every single day. The turn over rate is so high 20 people get hired and 19 walk out a day or a week tops. If you need to make a doctors appointment! Good luck.... you do that when they tell you you can. Have plans for the weekend? Not any more. They tell you you have to work mandatory overtime Friday! With an hours notice on Thursday. There is a "wellness facilty" on site. Don't plan on getting the proper help. Report an injury and they will say it was all your fault. Heads up to all. SERIOUSLY! File a wisb claim. Don't let them be in control of your health. But be aware! Doing this will put a target in your back. Put yourself number one. And do it any way. I could honestly go on longer. Hopefully Iv fair warned enoughed. I can put up with almost any thing. Tough as heck. But this place is a pure nightmare
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Tiring, hard work, terrible environment
Industrial Beef Butcher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 October 2016
A day here is comparable to war. the co workers were misrable, the managers were misrable, and I never left feeling like I was satisfied at the end of the day.
Pros
Pension, Benefits.
Cons
Long days, Mandatory Overtime, Bloody.
Friends like Family
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB20 October 2016
Very family orientated. Great hard-working people, Passionate about success. Safety is a core value not just a priority. The people there work to make the best quality product they can and everyone takes ownership in the prde they have in their successes, Great place to work but it is time for a new challenge.
If you get injured then they get rid of you
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Jarvis, ON17 October 2016
Management was terriable the general people were good. They spray lots of chemicals around. The air quality is poor. . They do not look after there people well if you get injured they make life miserable for you unrtil you quit.
Pros
Bad management
Cons
Work every holiday
Bad management
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  London on14 October 2016
Bad management in sanitation get if u take a temporary full time posting and a full time job comes later up course u can't take it or sign it for 9 months and plant
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Flex wages very bad
Good company.
Assistant Supervisor. (Current Employee) –  High River, AB28 September 2016
We have gym , basketball games , wellness safety program, we encourage our employee to work safely because we are responsible in our own safety.
FOR ME the job sometimes is not about the salary it about a comportable in work place team work is important.
Good environment , good place, its enough to be a comportable in work...

I am assistant supervisor, LEAD HAND and I am in charge in case the supervisor is absent..
beneficial by learning new culture and get exposure of working with multicultural team
Small Scale Operations- Growers Debtors Lead (Current Employee) –  Chipata21 September 2016
Its a good experience working in Zambia, the team is from diverse background from different continents. Have learnt a lot from workmates especially those from America and Europe. Cargill is a multinational company so it always has employees on global mobility which is a significant benefit to local teams
Horrible Corporate Structure
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2016
During my experience as an Employee of Cargill - I witnessed senior management "pull tantrums" when things did not go their way. That location was notorious for being known as an "old-boys club" and they were not afraid to show it. The Plant Manager was also know for moments of "highs and lows."

The rate of pay was disgustingly low, for what they wanted their employees to do. Little respect for the employees, and overall moral was horrible. Employee's are asked to do far too much and had high expectations placed on them, for non-permanent roles or any role - most new employees weren't guaranteed anymore than 25 hours a week.

The actual inside employees, were very nice and tried to do the best they could do within a horrible corporate structure.
Cons
See Above
Great company, excellent training.
Farm Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB14 September 2016
Spent my days working alongside farmers in an effort to build relationships that allowed me to be their trusted adviser for all crop input and grain marketing needs. Major learning curve as I had never been on a farm prior to taking on the role. Excellent training on products allowed me to take my selling techniques from Pepsi to build relationships with the local producers built on trust and common profitability. Management was was tough at times due to our geography and not fully understanding our territory while sometimes being unable to distinguish between what they knew from previous experiences versus what we were seeing in the trade. Most difficult part of my job was the first three months, just building industry knowledge and the trust of my customer base. My favorite part of the job by far was the people I worked with, both employees and customers. Loved living in Vegreville and building a little life with new friends and customers alike.
Pros
Challenging industry but very rewarding, great people, great town
Cons
Being a small crop input center/ grain elevator, made for us to be a final thought internally by management
Productive place for work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 August 2016
Good place to work if you don't mind working in a cold work place. Good people to work with. Lots of opportunitits to move around in the company
Hard Job, No care for the workers
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB23 August 2016
If you enjoy being under Constant pressure with little pay for the job you're doing and be over worked to the point of possibly being injured. This job is for you!! Lol You'll find the staff are very over worked there at times and management not easy to deal with. Advancement in this company is very rare and less you are a 10 year employee or if you luck out.
Pros
Professional employees
Cons
Poor management, harsh working conditions
Great
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON18 August 2016
Worked straight nights, peeps were great, one douchebag, but you get at least one anywhere you go. I left because straight nights wasn't working out for me.
The work is hard .
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
The work is good but a ordinary worker got sick related to his work they cannot protect their health issues to the extent they fireout the worker even with the valid reasons the good thing you have proper compensation in term of salary per hour.
Pros
occasionally there is free snacks or lunch
Cons
regular hours
Customer Service Coordinator
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2016
Head office people were nice, all new staff ranging from one to two months on the job, management had high expectations provided no training, lack of respect in the work place. Union workers great to work with, Sales People lack direction and respect.
Pros
Good wage, over all good company
Cons
Old sales people that lack professionalism.
productive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
It was a very dirty job dealing with raw meat every day. the money was not good. the people there are very hard to understand and pretty disorganized with what is going on.
Great work/life balance
Maintenance Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  High25 May 2016
Busy fast pace work environment.
Had a great crew of guys to work with.
Had a 5 and 4 rotating shift schedule with 1 week days and 1 week nights.
Great work environment and good pay
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 May 2016
Good, experience with great people. The equipment is up to date and the company allows for growth.The hardest part of the job were the numerous night shifts.Cargill Kitchen Solutions has great pay and good company culture. The fun part of the job is the fact there is a radio in the factory so we get to listen to music
Worst place to work for
Health Services and Disability Department (Former Employee) –  High River, AB24 May 2016
I worked as a salary employee for 1 year. The hourly employees are treated like dirt. I worked in the disability department and health services in High River, AB and my job was to keep employees from receiving any benefits if they were sick or injured.
I was yelled at and had things thrown at me by my supervisor if I didn't do what he wanted me to do and if I helped employees receive their benefits. The Health Services manager would use her master key to unlock the bathroom door when she felt I was taking too long using the bathroom in health services.
I quit and easily proved their corruptness and was given money through unemployment insurance to upgrade my education to get a better job.
Pros
Not a thing
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cargill. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval