Cargill Employee Reviews in Canada

friendly and happy workplace
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2015
Everyone was super friendly and happy in the early mornings. I enjoyed being in such a positive work environment. All the workers in the department were really nice.
Lots of OT
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
I loved working here because i put in a lot of overtime hours. I also loved it because I worked continental shifts. I just didn't like the fact that it was quite far from my house and their safety. Once i had my interview and orientation they stress safety so much, but when I worked for them they really don't care about workers safety or their concerns.
Pros
free lunches, sometimes.
Cons
safety is a 7 on a scale 1-10
No advancement possible (worst experience as a Plant Operator)
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Kindersley, SaskatchewanFebruary 18, 2015
This job is a low pay job. Duties in this job include working long hours out in the cold most of the times. Job is mostly cleaning like housekeeping in severe dust and cold conditions. Jumping on the rail cars in adverse weather conditions. It is a high risk job with low compensation.
I would not recommend this job for diverse employees. The management wouldn't allow you to advance.
This kind of job is always advertised as many people are not willing to take it.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope It will help many from falling into this trap.
Pros
this kind of job is always available at different locations.
Cons
horrible management, too low salary, work at odd hours, not good for diverse employees
lots of overtime
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Jarvis, ONJuly 14, 2015
good place to work. sometimes long hours. good pay and good benefits. co workers are also good people to work with. Don't always have a normal work week.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
once your inside you cant go outside
productive and more knowledge work place
Industrial butcher/meat cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB CanadaMay 15, 2015
8hours work 5 days a week
work hard
good
i learn to associate my other foreign co-worker
being alone in my position because luck of man power 2 or 3 person is needed
breaktime
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
long hours due to machine failure
Worst place ever
Accountant (Former Employee) –  WinnipegFebruary 19, 2015
Worked at Cargill in Accounts department for less than a year.

I would say this is the worst company I have worked with in my entire life. Atleast the people that I worked with were like that.

Extremely unprofessional and biased attitude of the management. Salary is also on lower side. Won't recommend to anyone.
Pros
global presence
Cons
bad management attitude, extremely biased.
Very safe place to work over the top !!!!!
General labor /Machine Operator/Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 18, 2015
Early start to every morning !!!
Our production is getting busier and busier everyday!
An alarm went off and all the management and co-workers responded accordingly.
There is no hard pert about my job and the most enjoyable is the volume of production my team and i do everyday!!
Fantastic place to work...Vision and Guidelines fit my goals.
Customer Service Administrator/Web Champion (Current Employee) –  La Crête, ABMay 29, 2015
Overall wonderful company to work for. Salary/benefits are competitive, co-workers are a great group of people and management are great leaders.
Good to train you, then go elsewhere
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Canwood, SKMarch 4, 2015
No recognition for effort, management hasn't got a clue. You will be simply a number if you work for Cargill. Great place to train and become proficient then get a job elsewhere for more money and less work, like all of their employees do.
Pros
crash course in reality.
Cons
you will be used until you give up
No room for advancement
Fibre Analyst/Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ONDecember 1, 2014
Busy day, no recognition for good work
Poor salary, not competitive
Not a great diversity of knowledge/expertise
Safety considered a core value and proved as such
Quality needs improvement
Senior management focused on non-relevant issues and did not understand day-to-day needs
Pros
good people, easy to work with personal commitments, good benefits, good safety culture
Cons
not competitive pay, poor management, poor experience, quality
Busy working medical & administrative day.
Health and Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, ONDecember 16, 2014
I worked with my colleague nurses to help the employee with a high quality medical services. All the medical files are charted electronically and manually. all appointments are scheduled and editted. All patients are triaged in proper way. All outlook work, faxes and telephone calles are handed in proper way.
Attending some training meeting.
Understanding and managing change .
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 29, 2014
High risk fast pace , communicate with multiple departments and government agencies.
Delegate duties , acute safety responsibility , high pace execution.
Learn to lead.
Coach and develop trust with employees.
Align work and set goals valuing the company principals.

Give feedback and recognition - saying thank you.
Pros
compensation, benefits, support.
Cons
long hours, extreme stress and safety hazard .
The comapny is ok to work for.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 6, 2013
A typical day at work is busy can be very stressful at times because of the amount of customers you have to deal with at times.
You must be highly efficient at all times. One mistake can be very costly.
Management could have been better in a lot of ways.
Staying focus on one task was not easy because of customer demands.
Satisfaction is the most enjoyable part of the day. When the customers are satisfied it feels good. You feel as if you accomplish something for the day.
Pros
employees discount was excellent.
Cons
yes, some days were long because you have to make sure the orders are filled and processed for that day.
Extremely high paced work place, a very diverse culture.
Slaughter Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High River, ABApril 7, 2012
I started out with Cargill Foods when the plant just opened. Was a labourer and worked very hard. I was noticed and was promoted to Lead Hand with in a very short time. After a year of performing well I was again noticed and promoted to Slaughter Floor supervisor. The culture at Cargill Foods was not fair towards employees with whom the upper management did not like, for what ever reason. I had to perform duties that were against my Ethics and Core Values. I stayed for seven years, but could not work in this culture any longer and had to find employment elsewhere.
Pros
excellent opportunity for advancement.
Cons
culture
Not a good place to work.
Package Handler, meat cutter (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 4, 2013
Co-workers are great to work with. Hardest part of the job Is trying to keep up with the line speed. Management are not on the same page with employees. Overall Cargill is not a good employer. A typical day at work is a very hard working day. Learned how to keep good hygiene in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with fellow workers.
Pros
free occasional lunches, coffee and donuts
Cons
production lines run way to fast, alot of injuries.
Salary is insufficient to attract other qualified operators to safely operate the plant.
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  High River, ABMay 24, 2013
The new boiler that was recently commissioned was a great learning experience and a valuable tool to making me a better shift supervisor. It is a new system which requires constant attention which is challenging.

The shift consists of keeping it running and trouble shooting any new problems which occur with a new facility.

Accessing other departments for help and gauging the seriousness of the problems is also a daily part of the job.
Pros
challenges of the commisioning of a new facility are very interesting.
Cons
the company is not making enough of an effort to hire other operators, and being on call twenty four hours a day for over 6 months is annoying.
fun and productive
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJune 29, 2013
for me this is a very interesting job because during my fist day of my work I thought I couldn't do it sense this is not an easy job. what I've learned from this job is how to perform different welding positions like horizontal, vertical and overhead position. the hardest part is you are doing the overhead welding jobs but for me its a nice job and I'm having fun working with other people
Cons
Strong professional development opportunites, limited salary growth
Employee (Current Employee) –  LondonJuly 2, 2012
Cargill's work atmosphere and culture is good. Employees are encouraged to take on new responsibilities and it's easy to take charge of your professional development. Cargill provides a stable paycheck but your salary growth is limited.
Pros
opportuntity & job security
Cons
salary growth is limited
typical general labour work
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 4, 2012
easy, mind numbing work. Many employees are talkative, but talk about degrading topics. Good for people with only a high school diploma. There are many opportunities to be promoted from within. Managers are kind, and helpful.
Pros
cheap, discounted meat prices for employees
Cons
freezing environment, loud
Gym exercise
3rd Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMarch 17, 2015
Very good management and good work team, now I connect with them usually to talk about the life and future plan.
The most enjoyable of the job was to operate the equipment controls