Cargill Employee Reviews

Great company, excellent training.
Farm Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB14 September 2016
Spent my days working alongside farmers in an effort to build relationships that allowed me to be their trusted adviser for all crop input and grain marketing needs. Major learning curve as I had never been on a farm prior to taking on the role. Excellent training on products allowed me to take my selling techniques from Pepsi to build relationships with the local producers built on trust and common profitability. Management was was tough at times due to our geography and not fully understanding our territory while sometimes being unable to distinguish between what they knew from previous experiences versus what we were seeing in the trade. Most difficult part of my job was the first three months, just building industry knowledge and the trust of my customer base. My favorite part of the job by far was the people I worked with, both employees and customers. Loved living in Vegreville and building a little life with new friends and customers alike.
Pros
Challenging industry but very rewarding, great people, great town
Cons
Being a small crop input center/ grain elevator, made for us to be a final thought internally by management
Productive place for work
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 August 2016
Good place to work if you don't mind working in a cold work place. Good people to work with. Lots of opportunitits to move around in the company
Hard Job, No care for the workers
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB23 August 2016
If you enjoy being under Constant pressure with little pay for the job you're doing and be over worked to the point of possibly being injured. This job is for you!! Lol You'll find the staff are very over worked there at times and management not easy to deal with. Advancement in this company is very rare and less you are a 10 year employee or if you luck out.
Pros
Professional employees
Cons
Poor management, harsh working conditions
Great
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON18 August 2016
Worked straight nights, peeps were great, one douchebag, but you get at least one anywhere you go. I left because straight nights wasn't working out for me.
The work is hard .
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
The work is good but a ordinary worker got sick related to his work they cannot protect their health issues to the extent they fireout the worker even with the valid reasons the good thing you have proper compensation in term of salary per hour.
Pros
occasionally there is free snacks or lunch
Cons
regular hours
Customer Service Coordinator
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2016
Head office people were nice, all new staff ranging from one to two months on the job, management had high expectations provided no training, lack of respect in the work place. Union workers great to work with, Sales People lack direction and respect.
Pros
Good wage, over all good company
Cons
Old sales people that lack professionalism.
productive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
It was a very dirty job dealing with raw meat every day. the money was not good. the people there are very hard to understand and pretty disorganized with what is going on.
Great work/life balance
Maintenance Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  High25 May 2016
Busy fast pace work environment.
Had a great crew of guys to work with.
Had a 5 and 4 rotating shift schedule with 1 week days and 1 week nights.
Great work environment and good pay
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 May 2016
Good, experience with great people. The equipment is up to date and the company allows for growth.The hardest part of the job were the numerous night shifts.Cargill Kitchen Solutions has great pay and good company culture. The fun part of the job is the fact there is a radio in the factory so we get to listen to music
Worst place to work for
Health Services and Disability Department (Former Employee) –  High River, AB24 May 2016
I worked as a salary employee for 1 year. The hourly employees are treated like dirt. I worked in the disability department and health services in High River, AB and my job was to keep employees from receiving any benefits if they were sick or injured.
I was yelled at and had things thrown at me by my supervisor if I didn't do what he wanted me to do and if I helped employees receive their benefits. The Health Services manager would use her master key to unlock the bathroom door when she felt I was taking too long using the bathroom in health services.
I quit and easily proved their corruptness and was given money through unemployment insurance to upgrade my education to get a better job.
Pros
Not a thing
Productive, sometimes intense
Capital Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  High River, AB11 May 2016
Most days I settle down at my workstation to finish the task assigned by my manager. For my job as a Capital Project Management Assistant I organized contractor folders and made them much easier to find. For my job as a Procedural Safety Management Assistant I worked with operators to write official lockout/tagout documents for heavy machinery. I learned a lot about contractor procedures and how to work with other professionals. In order to ensure safe operation, I had to learn how to read industrial setting P&ID's and AutoCad files.
My co-workers were a group of mixed ethnicity who got along really well. We communicated without difficulty and cooperated without conflict. Perhaps the most difficult part of the job would be finding the manager to report to, since the facility is large and responsibilities widespread, tracking people down could take much longer than ever expected. I did however, enjoy the hands-on experience with industrial ammonia compressors and other hydraulic pumps.
Average place to work
General Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 May 2016
Great people to work with. Co-workers are awesome. Work is busy, always. Not a good place for advancement. Highly stressful environment. Hardest part is not knowing if you're doing a good job and communication is lacking. Employs a lot of nice dedicated people.
Pros
Average Pay
Cons
No advancement, no appreciation
Ever changing work load
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 May 2016
Fast paced Job,

Many job positions, From general labour to meat cutting to corralling cows

Peak moments of high work load stress

Much to learn and master, if willing
Pros
Freezer Work (Depending on where you're placed), Various Jobs
Cons
Management, Union, Exclusive Seniority Based Opportunities
Job is not secured due to non -stop business re-org and other cost cuts
Regional Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 April 2016
The Mangement is bad. even though they say they value diversity they do favouritism to some ethnics groups. The company is not stable and jobs are not secured as they were used to be because of continuous changes in business changes and bad business decisions.
it is a good company with great benefits
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 April 2016
I like working there with high job security and good benefits.
I work as a power engineer there. checking boilers, testing water, etc
managers are great and I'm feeling excited with working with my co workers
Productive and Interesting
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2016
Human beings poses different challenges everyday. A typical day for me is full of issues that I enjoy so much dealing with. I like the fact that everyday is not the same and I love the challenges of being able to think things through. I have a manager that allows me to use my discretion on things. I only go to my manager to ensure that I don't derail from the overall picture. I learnt new things about human behaviour everyday. The hardest part of my job is being able to draft a unified policy for all employees in 17 business units in 78 locations all over Canada
Pros
Working remotely/Work Life Balance
Cons
More could be done on Employee Engagement/Loyalty
Great Learning Experience as an apprentice
Millwright Helper (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 March 2016
Great, workplace, great hours, great pay and great people. You are required to get tasks done at a timely matter. The most enjoyable part of the is being able to work on your own and with others
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Great hours
horrible
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2016
Training is a joke

You are put on the extremely fast line and expected to be as fast as your co workers who have done that job a lot longer then you.
Salary is too low for the hard work.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Productive environment
Flexibility
Variety of job tasks
extremely poor canadian management
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2016
"no advancement in career"
"people are promoted because of friendship not performance and education"
"a very rare wage increase, if there is only 15 cents"
"they don't care about your life status"
"payroll personnel cheat on your work hours"
Pros
getting paid on time
Cons
you get old without any progress. (wage and career)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cargill. Our community is ready to answer.