Cargill Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Interesting
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Working remotely/Work Life Balance
Cons: More could be done on Employee Engagement/Loyalty
Human beings poses different challenges everyday. A typical day for me is full of issues that I enjoy so much dealing with. I like the fact that everyday is not the same and I love the challenges of being able to think things through. I have a manager that allows me to use my discretion on things. I only go to my manager to ensure that I don't derail from the overall picture. I learnt new things about human behaviour everyday. The hardest part of my job is being able to draft a unified policy for all employees in 17 business units in 78 locations all over Canada
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees
Planning (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: Well known Company
Cons: Poor Canadian Management
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees. Employees are promoted mostly for friendship not due to their performance.
Manager adjust or change things according to their convenience not necessary following the company's policy.
Salaries for medium level employees are below the average in the industry.
Very stressful place to work. Poor or none training program. Learning by mistakes.
Hard part of the job, feeling hopeless for professional growth.
extremely poor canadian management
General Labourer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: getting paid on time
Cons: you get old without any progress. (wage and career)
"no advancement in career"
"people are promoted because of friendship not performance and education"
"a very rare wage increase, if there is only 15 cents"
"they don't care about your life status"
"payroll personnel cheat on your work hours"
horrible
General Labourer (Current Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Training is a joke

You are put on the extremely fast line and expected to be as fast as your co workers who have done that job a lot longer then you.
Salary is too low for the hard work.
No advancement possible (worst experience as a Plant Operator)
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Kindersley, SaskatchewanFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: this kind of job is always available at different locations.
Cons: horrible management, too low salary, work at odd hours, not good for diverse employees
This job is a low pay job. Duties in this job include working long hours out in the cold most of the times. Job is mostly cleaning like housekeeping in severe dust and cold conditions. Jumping on the rail cars in adverse weather conditions. It is a high risk job with low compensation.
I would not recommend this job for diverse employees. The management wouldn't allow you to advance.
This kind of job is always advertised as many people are not willing to take it.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope It will help many from falling into this trap.
Fantastic place to work...Vision and Guidelines fit my goals.
Customer Service Administrator/Web Champion (Current Employee), La Crête, ABMay 29, 2015
Overall wonderful company to work for. Salary/benefits are competitive, co-workers are a great group of people and management are great leaders.
Packaging of meat products
Packaging (Former Employee), Guelph, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: Pot Luck Lunches
Cons: Long hours standing
It was in a cold environment everyday thus, seasonal changes does not matter. Warm clothing worn everyday. Not an ideal job during the summer. Long hours mainly standing. Boring due to repetitive work at times. Good pay but the climate is just too cold.
Toxic enviroment
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Poor Management at my facility, weak and incompetent. Union dictates and senior management do not stand up. Have visited other facilities that are fantastic though so think this is location specific.
Job is not secured due to non -stop business re-org and other cost cuts
Regional Service Administrator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
The Mangement is bad. even though they say they value diversity they do favouritism to some ethnics groups. The company is not stable and jobs are not secured as they were used to be because of continuous changes in business changes and bad business decisions.
lots of overtime
Labourer (Former Employee), Jarvis, ONJuly 14, 2015
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: once your inside you cant go outside
good place to work. sometimes long hours. good pay and good benefits. co workers are also good people to work with. Don't always have a normal work week.
assembly line worker
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Guelph, ONJune 30, 2015
Pros: 3 breaks during day
Cons: long hours
very fast paced environment
always have to be aware for your own safety and of others
management was very serious
the people working there were very nice people the best probably at any company iv worked at
Company policies & Management
Meat processor (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 11, 2015
Management understanding when situations occurred that meant delay or storm road closures.
Enjoyed working with others, including Management, for the Annual United Way, help planning fun events for company "Fun-day events"
Great Learning Experience as an apprentice
Millwright Helper (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 2, 2016
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Great hours
Great, workplace, great hours, great pay and great people. You are required to get tasks done at a timely matter. The most enjoyable part of the is being able to work on your own and with others
it is a good company with great benefits
Power Engineer (Current Employee), Surrey, BCApril 25, 2016
I like working there with high job security and good benefits.
I work as a power engineer there. checking boilers, testing water, etc
managers are great and I'm feeling excited with working with my co workers
No room for advancement
Fibre Analyst/Analytical Chemist (Former Employee), Strathroy, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: good people, easy to work with personal commitments, good benefits, good safety culture
Cons: not competitive pay, poor management, poor experience, quality
Busy day, no recognition for good work
Poor salary, not competitive
Not a great diversity of knowledge/expertise
Safety considered a core value and proved as such
Quality needs improvement
Senior management focused on non-relevant issues and did not understand day-to-day needs
Productive and fun workplace
Logistics and Product Distribution (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: working with people in team oriented situations, fast paced, culture, friendly environment, safety conscious
Cons: long drive and cold working environment (freezer)
building/scanning/wrapping skids
loading/unloading/receiving/booking away finished product

Learned the distribution/logistics chain/process how raw material transfers into finished product cycled within the warehouse and how its eventually transported to our customers
I've was given task and responsibility of training new people

The management and co-workers of Cargill are exceptionally good at what they do. They put in a honest days work and treat everyone with respect while getting the job done safely and to the standards of the company

Their wasn't a hard aspect to the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was working for a great employer

The reason I am looking for a new job is because of the lack of job security and advancement opportunities.
Extremely high paced work place, a very diverse culture.
Slaughter Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), High River, ABApril 7, 2012
Pros: excellent opportunity for advancement.
Cons: culture
I started out with Cargill Foods when the plant just opened. Was a labourer and worked very hard. I was noticed and was promoted to Lead Hand with in a very short time. After a year of performing well I was again noticed and promoted to Slaughter Floor supervisor. The culture at Cargill Foods was not fair towards employees with whom the upper management did not like, for what ever reason. I had to perform duties that were against my Ethics and Core Values. I stayed for seven years, but could not work in this culture any longer and had to find employment elsewhere.
Worst place ever
Accountant (Former Employee), WinnipegFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: global presence
Cons: bad management attitude, extremely biased.
Worked at Cargill in Accounts department for less than a year.

I would say this is the worst company I have worked with in my entire life. Atleast the people that I worked with were like that.

Extremely unprofessional and biased attitude of the management. Salary is also on lower side. Won't recommend to anyone.
Very productive, Physically demanding
Loader Operator (Current Employee), High River, ABJune 22, 2015
As a Loader Operator I start my everyday work by double checking all of my equipment, machine,loading areas for any safety hazard if there is a problem i will let them(supervisor, lead-hand, safety maintenance) know right-away; and after any operations i always end it by cleaning and making sure all things that i used is on proper place In every day work i learned to manage my time and prepare things in advance, so there will be no rushing. To my co-workers, I'd like to have conversation, and maintain harmonious relationship even we are different in so many ways; The hardest part of my job is a sudden order that you're not prepare to do or sudden change of plan, in the end i always smile on it, i always keep on mind " no pain no gain" ; I enjoyed my job because i learned many different things and be able to meet different people that i call family.
productive, Used to have Christmas parties, Thank-you and rewards.
Material Handler//Distribution/Production (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: had job security, unionized, able to rotate jobs in house opportuinity
Cons: fast paced. some long hours, cold environment.
Early start times for day shift, learned a lot of different jobs and was able to join different teams,and gained a lot of knowledge.
Management was alright same as any place some good some bad, with different attitudes so handling people skills in some cases could of been better. Co-workers are arrangement of different ethnic groups so sometimes communication was a problem, trying to get them to understand what they need to do. It was mostly up to your co-workers to show you what you need to do, we trained each other.
Hardest part was always fast paced, cold and when you did good or great they always wanted more an would speed things up.
Enjoyable parts were long term ee. it felt like family cause you r with them more, sometimes more then your own. Rewards program, able to communicate if things could b better an did get feedbacks. So sometimes you could c something you suggested actually b implemented, that felt great.
Headquarters