Cargill Employee Reviews

Worst place to work for
Health Services and Disability Department (Former Employee) –  High River, AB24 May 2016
I worked as a salary employee for 1 year. The hourly employees are treated like dirt. I worked in the disability department and health services in High River, AB and my job was to keep employees from receiving any benefits if they were sick or injured.
I was yelled at and had things thrown at me by my supervisor if I didn't do what he wanted me to do and if I helped employees receive their benefits. The Health Services manager would use her master key to unlock the bathroom door when she felt I was taking too long using the bathroom in health services.
I quit and easily proved their corruptness and was given money through unemployment insurance to upgrade my education to get a better job.
Pros
Not a thing
Cons
Tiring, hard work, terrible environment
Industrial Beef Butcher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 October 2016
A day here is comparable to war. the co workers were misrable, the managers were misrable, and I never left feeling like I was satisfied at the end of the day.
Pros
Pension, Benefits.
Cons
Long days, Mandatory Overtime, Bloody.
it is a good company with great benefits
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 April 2016
I like working there with high job security and good benefits.
I work as a power engineer there. checking boilers, testing water, etc
managers are great and I'm feeling excited with working with my co workers
Horrible Corporate Structure
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2016
During my experience as an Employee of Cargill - I witnessed senior management "pull tantrums" when things did not go their way. That location was notorious for being known as an "old-boys club" and they were not afraid to show it. The Plant Manager was also know for moments of "highs and lows."

The rate of pay was disgustingly low, for what they wanted their employees to do. Little respect for the employees, and overall moral was horrible. Employee's are asked to do far too much and had high expectations placed on them, for non-permanent roles or any role - most new employees weren't guaranteed anymore than 25 hours a week.

The actual inside employees, were very nice and tried to do the best they could do within a horrible corporate structure.
Cons
See Above
Hard Job, No care for the workers
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB23 August 2016
If you enjoy being under Constant pressure with little pay for the job you're doing and be over worked to the point of possibly being injured. This job is for you!! Lol You'll find the staff are very over worked there at times and management not easy to deal with. Advancement in this company is very rare and less you are a 10 year employee or if you luck out.
Pros
Professional employees
Cons
Poor management, harsh working conditions
Hard working and fun environment
Sanitation Crew (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON2 November 2016
This job involves a lot of social skill as you work with a crew. The management are friendly and easy to get along with. My co-workers are easy going and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely withstanding the heat. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of seeing the difference of the room after doing a good job.
Pros
Break every 2.5 hours.
Cons
Never having a finish time.
"If your desperate for a job"
I'd expose myself if I said (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 October 2016
Work here a very long time. So I know what I'm talking about. This company, Cargill (Better Beef". Is on a decline if you decide to come in now. You will learn very fast. They do not care about your well being nor your life outside of it. Daily you will be required to do the jobs of two people every single day. The turn over rate is so high 20 people get hired and 19 walk out a day or a week tops. If you need to make a doctors appointment! Good luck.... you do that when they tell you you can. Have plans for the weekend? Not any more. They tell you you have to work mandatory overtime Friday! With an hours notice on Thursday. There is a "wellness facilty" on site. Don't plan on getting the proper help. Report an injury and they will say it was all your fault. Heads up to all. SERIOUSLY! File a wisb claim. Don't let them be in control of your health. But be aware! Doing this will put a target in your back. Put yourself number one. And do it any way. I could honestly go on longer. Hopefully Iv fair warned enoughed. I can put up with almost any thing. Tough as heck. But this place is a pure nightmare
Pros
It's a job
horrible
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2016
Training is a joke

You are put on the extremely fast line and expected to be as fast as your co workers who have done that job a lot longer then you.
Salary is too low for the hard work.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
If you get injured then they get rid of you
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Jarvis, ON17 October 2016
Management was terriable the general people were good. They spray lots of chemicals around. The air quality is poor. . They do not look after there people well if you get injured they make life miserable for you unrtil you quit.
Pros
Bad management
Cons
Work every holiday
Productive, sometimes intense
Capital Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  High River, AB11 May 2016
Most days I settle down at my workstation to finish the task assigned by my manager. For my job as a Capital Project Management Assistant I organized contractor folders and made them much easier to find. For my job as a Procedural Safety Management Assistant I worked with operators to write official lockout/tagout documents for heavy machinery. I learned a lot about contractor procedures and how to work with other professionals. In order to ensure safe operation, I had to learn how to read industrial setting P&ID's and AutoCad files.
My co-workers were a group of mixed ethnicity who got along really well. We communicated without difficulty and cooperated without conflict. Perhaps the most difficult part of the job would be finding the manager to report to, since the facility is large and responsibilities widespread, tracking people down could take much longer than ever expected. I did however, enjoy the hands-on experience with industrial ammonia compressors and other hydraulic pumps.
Productive and Interesting
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 March 2016
Human beings poses different challenges everyday. A typical day for me is full of issues that I enjoy so much dealing with. I like the fact that everyday is not the same and I love the challenges of being able to think things through. I have a manager that allows me to use my discretion on things. I only go to my manager to ensure that I don't derail from the overall picture. I learnt new things about human behaviour everyday. The hardest part of my job is being able to draft a unified policy for all employees in 17 business units in 78 locations all over Canada
Pros
Working remotely/Work Life Balance
Cons
More could be done on Employee Engagement/Loyalty
Customer Service Coordinator
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2016
Head office people were nice, all new staff ranging from one to two months on the job, management had high expectations provided no training, lack of respect in the work place. Union workers great to work with, Sales People lack direction and respect.
Pros
Good wage, over all good company
Cons
Old sales people that lack professionalism.
hard work
General Labourer, Cargill (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 December 2016
Dress up warm everyday in layers of clothing, get to work station on time,
Friendly co-workers, always helpful when needed.
The hardest part of the job was that is was just a cold facility.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we actually go at a fast pace to get products packed.
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rycroft, AB8 November 2016
Everyday and every year is a different challenge. Products and environments are changing every season. The training the company provides is second to none and its hard to never be unprepared.
No advancement possible (worst experience as a Plant Operator)
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Kindersley, Saskatchewan18 February 2015
This job is a low pay job. Duties in this job include working long hours out in the cold most of the times. Job is mostly cleaning like housekeeping in severe dust and cold conditions. Jumping on the rail cars in adverse weather conditions. It is a high risk job with low compensation.
I would not recommend this job for diverse employees. The management wouldn't allow you to advance.
This kind of job is always advertised as many people are not willing to take it.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope It will help many from falling into this trap.
Pros
This kind of job is always available at different locations.
Cons
Horrible management, Too low salary, Work at odd hours, not good for diverse employees
Great work environment and good pay
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 May 2016
Good, experience with great people. The equipment is up to date and the company allows for growth.The hardest part of the job were the numerous night shifts.Cargill Kitchen Solutions has great pay and good company culture. The fun part of the job is the fact there is a radio in the factory so we get to listen to music
Average place to work
General Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 May 2016
Great people to work with. Co-workers are awesome. Work is busy, always. Not a good place for advancement. Highly stressful environment. Hardest part is not knowing if you're doing a good job and communication is lacking. Employs a lot of nice dedicated people.
Pros
Average Pay
Cons
No advancement, no appreciation
Ever changing work load
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 May 2016
Fast paced Job,

Many job positions, From general labour to meat cutting to corralling cows

Peak moments of high work load stress

Much to learn and master, if willing
Pros
Freezer Work (Depending on where you're placed), Various Jobs
Cons
Management, Union, Exclusive Seniority Based Opportunities
Great
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON18 August 2016
Worked straight nights, peeps were great, one douchebag, but you get at least one anywhere you go. I left because straight nights wasn't working out for me.
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees
Planning (Former Employee) –  Canada18 January 2016
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees. Employees are promoted mostly for friendship not due to their performance.
Manager adjust or change things according to their convenience not necessary following the company's policy.
Salaries for medium level employees are below the average in the industry.
Very stressful place to work. Poor or none training program. Learning by mistakes.
Hard part of the job, feeling hopeless for professional growth.
Pros
Well known Company
Cons
Poor Canadian Management