Cargill Employee Reviews

A progressive leading edge company in world agricultural products
Agronomist (Former Employee) –  McLennan, AB17 January 2017
Learned about the fast-paced working team culture of the company. All of the employees are leaders in their specialized field. The selection and screening process was meticulous. Requiring 5 references to complete a survey for each hiring.
Safety training and protocol was second to none in the industry.
Company provides great opportunity for advancement and for relocating your Cargill employment if desired.
Cargill has earned the reputation for being one of the best employers in Canada.
Pros
Extensive training and certification provided and encouraged
Working at Cargill
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  High River, AB24 January 2017
Cargill is a great place to work.

Provides some level of job security and the people, being from differing parts of the globe, makes it fun to interact as a group.

Great team player. and team builders.

Accessible management and supervisors.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
Good hours to work; poor working conditions
Will not disclose (Current Employee) –  Alberta1 February 2017
Management is very poor; Too many uncertified employees doing jobs that they should not be doing due to being uncertified; Poor working conditions (i.e. very unclean); A lot of internal racism directed at all races; Have very good benefits; Good working schedule for all employees.
Pros
Sometimes get free lunches and get discounted meats.
Cons
Very poor management and too many uncertified employees, which can make working environment unsafe.
Heartless Corperation
saw operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 March 2017
on normal work week, is ok. 40 hours, super fast environment. overtime can be posted as mandatory. up to 1.75 hours/day/week or 8 hours on Saturday.
Pros
pay is decent, benefits were good
Cons
mandatory overtime, management doesn't care about the people just the numbers.
Productive and fun work place in trimming, boxing and as saw operator
Omasum saw operator / Trimmer and Boxer Crew (Current Employee) –  High River, AB13 January 2017
a typical day at work is to prepare all boxes and machine to maintain the safety and quality of the product.
i learned is to be hardworking and reliable person of my supervisor
in management is great and very manageable in time and production
my co workers is very helpful and relevant
the hardest part of the job is when some of your co worker is absent and you are only the one to do the job well done.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when every body is working hard with the smile in our lips because of the jokes and still productive.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Saturday Overtime
very dirty enviroment
MILLWRIGHT (Former Employee) –  High River, AB10 January 2017
long hours in hot decaying enviroment
every day was a fire fight with employees with no experience
in millwright profession
a lot of extra work to do just to get back to where you need to be to start your day so at he end of the day your still behind
barring break downs the were a few out of 30 millwrights
like myself will to help other teams to lighten there work load
if you were fortunate to be on the same shift rotation
after hours were cut (union unfortunately) pay was good 34.80
per hour was not worth the daily head ache at 32 hours per week
Pros
you meet a variety of ethnic groups
Cons
its a slaughter house you need a good gut for it
Hard Job, No care for the workers
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB23 August 2016
If you enjoy being under Constant pressure with little pay for the job you're doing and be over worked to the point of possibly being injured. This job is for you!! Lol You'll find the staff are very over worked there at times and management not easy to deal with. Advancement in this company is very rare and less you are a 10 year employee or if you luck out.
Pros
Professional employees
Cons
Poor management, harsh working conditions
Horrible Corporate Structure
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 September 2016
During my experience as an Employee of Cargill - I witnessed senior management "pull tantrums" when things did not go their way. That location was notorious for being known as an "old-boys club" and they were not afraid to show it. The Plant Manager was also know for moments of "highs and lows."

The rate of pay was disgustingly low, for what they wanted their employees to do. Little respect for the employees, and overall moral was horrible. Employee's are asked to do far too much and had high expectations placed on them, for non-permanent roles or any role - most new employees weren't guaranteed anymore than 25 hours a week.

The actual inside employees, were very nice and tried to do the best they could do within a horrible corporate structure.
Cons
See Above
Hard working and fun environment
Sanitation Crew (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON2 November 2016
This job involves a lot of social skill as you work with a crew. The management are friendly and easy to get along with. My co-workers are easy going and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is definitely withstanding the heat. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of seeing the difference of the room after doing a good job.
Pros
Break every 2.5 hours.
Cons
Never having a finish time.
productive and fun workplace with gym
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  High River, AB3 January 2017
regular working hoursand working 40hours a week and learned many things like working as a team and co workers with different nationalities, good management working also in a safe passed faced environment
Busy working environment
Packaging Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 March 2017
1. Busy and cold working environment.
2. Friendly employee.
3. Learned management and how to finish everything on time.
4. working in the same line with my friend was enjoyable.
Great company, excellent training.
Farm Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB14 September 2016
Spent my days working alongside farmers in an effort to build relationships that allowed me to be their trusted adviser for all crop input and grain marketing needs. Major learning curve as I had never been on a farm prior to taking on the role. Excellent training on products allowed me to take my selling techniques from Pepsi to build relationships with the local producers built on trust and common profitability. Management was was tough at times due to our geography and not fully understanding our territory while sometimes being unable to distinguish between what they knew from previous experiences versus what we were seeing in the trade. Most difficult part of my job was the first three months, just building industry knowledge and the trust of my customer base. My favorite part of the job by far was the people I worked with, both employees and customers. Loved living in Vegreville and building a little life with new friends and customers alike.
Pros
Challenging industry but very rewarding, great people, great town
Cons
Being a small crop input center/ grain elevator, made for us to be a final thought internally by management
Good company.
Assistant Supervisor. (Current Employee) –  High River, AB28 September 2016
We have gym , basketball games , wellness safety program, we encourage our employee to work safely because we are responsible in our own safety.
FOR ME the job sometimes is not about the salary it about a comportable in work place team work is important.
Good environment , good place, its enough to be a comportable in work...

I am assistant supervisor, LEAD HAND and I am in charge in case the supervisor is absent..
If you get injured then they get rid of you
Electrician Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Jarvis, ON17 October 2016
Management was terriable the general people were good. They spray lots of chemicals around. The air quality is poor. . They do not look after there people well if you get injured they make life miserable for you unrtil you quit.
Pros
Bad management
Cons
Work every holiday
Tiring, hard work, terrible environment
Industrial Beef Butcher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 October 2016
A day here is comparable to war. the co workers were misrable, the managers were misrable, and I never left feeling like I was satisfied at the end of the day.
Pros
Pension, Benefits.
Cons
Long days, Mandatory Overtime, Bloody.
"If your desperate for a job"
I'd expose myself if I said (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 October 2016
Work here a very long time. So I know what I'm talking about. This company, Cargill (Better Beef". Is on a decline if you decide to come in now. You will learn very fast. They do not care about your well being nor your life outside of it. Daily you will be required to do the jobs of two people every single day. The turn over rate is so high 20 people get hired and 19 walk out a day or a week tops. If you need to make a doctors appointment! Good luck.... you do that when they tell you you can. Have plans for the weekend? Not any more. They tell you you have to work mandatory overtime Friday! With an hours notice on Thursday. There is a "wellness facilty" on site. Don't plan on getting the proper help. Report an injury and they will say it was all your fault. Heads up to all. SERIOUSLY! File a wisb claim. Don't let them be in control of your health. But be aware! Doing this will put a target in your back. Put yourself number one. And do it any way. I could honestly go on longer. Hopefully Iv fair warned enoughed. I can put up with almost any thing. Tough as heck. But this place is a pure nightmare
Pros
It's a job
Bad management
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  London on14 October 2016
Bad management in sanitation get if u take a temporary full time posting and a full time job comes later up course u can't take it or sign it for 9 months and plant
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Flex wages very bad
Worst place to work for
Health Services and Disability Department (Former Employee) –  High River, AB24 May 2016
I worked as a salary employee for 1 year. The hourly employees are treated like dirt. I worked in the disability department and health services in High River, AB and my job was to keep employees from receiving any benefits if they were sick or injured.
I was yelled at and had things thrown at me by my supervisor if I didn't do what he wanted me to do and if I helped employees receive their benefits. The Health Services manager would use her master key to unlock the bathroom door when she felt I was taking too long using the bathroom in health services.
I quit and easily proved their corruptness and was given money through unemployment insurance to upgrade my education to get a better job.
Pros
Not a thing
poor management
Electrician Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Jarvis, ON10 February 2017
had an injury do to cargills poor communications then I was treated very poorly. the midnight guy told me that the plant manager and maintenance super were saying I was faking it. Well I just had surgery .they made me use my vacation days for the injury.
Pros
buy cheap chicken nuggets
Cons
they want you on call 24/7
The work is hard .
Butcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
The work is good but a ordinary worker got sick related to his work they cannot protect their health issues to the extent they fireout the worker even with the valid reasons the good thing you have proper compensation in term of salary per hour.
Pros
occasionally there is free snacks or lunch
Cons
regular hours

80%