Cargill

Cargill Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive, Used to have Christmas parties, Thank-you and rewards.
Material Handler//Distribution/Production (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: had job security, unionized, able to rotate jobs in house opportuinity
Cons: fast paced. some long hours, cold environment.
Early start times for day shift, learned a lot of different jobs and was able to join different teams,and gained a lot of knowledge.
Management was alright same as any place some good some bad, with different attitudes so handling people skills in some cases could of been better. Co-workers are arrangement of different ethnic groups so sometimes communication was a problem, trying to get them to understand what they need to do. It was mostly up to your co-workers to show you what you need to do, we trained each other.
Hardest part was always fast paced, cold and when you did good or great they always wanted more an would speed things up.
Enjoyable parts were long term ee. it felt like family cause you r with them more, sometimes more then your own. Rewards program, able to communicate if things could b better an did get feedbacks. So sometimes you could c something you suggested actually b implemented, that felt great.
productive and challenging workplace.
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee), High River, ABSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: we are served with equal rights
Cons: i go home late for i have to wait and help my co-worker when there is a problem.
in cargill, you are expecting for the unexpected because you don't know what happen during that day when you enter your shift for we are dealing with machines. I'm always prepared- physically, emotionally,intellectually and socially. I learned how to think broadly and manage my time and be flexible enough for changes in schedule like day or night for 12 hours. We knew our job descriptions vey well as the management oriented us, gave us updates and oppotunities to voice out our problems at work and treated us equally. With the co-workers, we treat each other with respect and dignity. The hardest part of the job is when you are alone at your post at night but I've learned ways how to deal with it and survive for how many years and became productive. When you are recognized for the job you've done and job well done is the most enjoyable part for it boost your esteem and inspires you to keep it up.
Very productive, Physically demanding
Loader Operator (Current Employee), High River, ABJune 22, 2015
As a Loader Operator I start my everyday work by double checking all of my equipment, machine,loading areas for any safety hazard if there is a problem i will let them(supervisor, lead-hand, safety maintenance) know right-away; and after any operations i always end it by cleaning and making sure all things that i used is on proper place In every day work i learned to manage my time and prepare things in advance, so there will be no rushing. To my co-workers, I'd like to have conversation, and maintain harmonious relationship even we are different in so many ways; The hardest part of my job is a sudden order that you're not prepare to do or sudden change of plan, in the end i always smile on it, i always keep on mind " no pain no gain" ; I enjoyed my job because i learned many different things and be able to meet different people that i call family.
Productive and fun workplace
Logistics and Product Distribution (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: working with people in team oriented situations, fast paced, culture, friendly environment, safety conscious
Cons: long drive and cold working environment (freezer)
building/scanning/wrapping skids
loading/unloading/receiving/booking away finished product

Learned the distribution/logistics chain/process how raw material transfers into finished product cycled within the warehouse and how its eventually transported to our customers
I've was given task and responsibility of training new people

The management and co-workers of Cargill are exceptionally good at what they do. They put in a honest days work and treat everyone with respect while getting the job done safely and to the standards of the company

Their wasn't a hard aspect to the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was working for a great employer

The reason I am looking for a new job is because of the lack of job security and advancement opportunities.
No advancement possible (worst experience as a Plant Operator)
Plant Operator (Former Employee), Kindersley, SaskatchewanFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: this kind of job is always available at different locations.
Cons: horrible management, too low salary, work at odd hours, not good for diverse employees
This job is a low pay job. Duties in this job include working long hours out in the cold most of the times. Job is mostly cleaning like housekeeping in severe dust and cold conditions. Jumping on the rail cars in adverse weather conditions. It is a high risk job with low compensation.
I would not recommend this job for diverse employees. The management wouldn't allow you to advance.
This kind of job is always advertised as many people are not willing to take it.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope It will help many from falling into this trap.
Salary is insufficient to attract other qualified operators to safely operate the plant.
Plant Operator (Current Employee), High River, ABMay 24, 2013
Pros: challenges of the commisioning of a new facility are very interesting.
Cons: the company is not making enough of an effort to hire other operators, and being on call twenty four hours a day for over 6 months is annoying.
The new boiler that was recently commissioned was a great learning experience and a valuable tool to making me a better shift supervisor. It is a new system which requires constant attention which is challenging.

The shift consists of keeping it running and trouble shooting any new problems which occur with a new facility.

Accessing other departments for help and gauging the seriousness of the problems is also a daily part of the job.
The comapny is ok to work for.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 6, 2013
Pros: employees discount was excellent.
Cons: yes, some days were long because you have to make sure the orders are filled and processed for that day.
A typical day at work is busy can be very stressful at times because of the amount of customers you have to deal with at times.
You must be highly efficient at all times. One mistake can be very costly.
Management could have been better in a lot of ways.
Staying focus on one task was not easy because of customer demands.
Satisfaction is the most enjoyable part of the day. When the customers are satisfied it feels good. You feel as if you accomplish something for the day.
Extremely high paced work place, a very diverse culture.
Slaughter Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), High River, ABApril 7, 2012
Pros: excellent opportunity for advancement.
Cons: culture
I started out with Cargill Foods when the plant just opened. Was a labourer and worked very hard. I was noticed and was promoted to Lead Hand with in a very short time. After a year of performing well I was again noticed and promoted to Slaughter Floor supervisor. The culture at Cargill Foods was not fair towards employees with whom the upper management did not like, for what ever reason. I had to perform duties that were against my Ethics and Core Values. I stayed for seven years, but could not work in this culture any longer and had to find employment elsewhere.
Lots of OT
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches, sometimes.
Cons: safety is a 7 on a scale 1-10
I loved working here because i put in a lot of overtime hours. I also loved it because I worked continental shifts. I just didn't like the fact that it was quite far from my house and their safety. Once i had my interview and orientation they stress safety so much, but when I worked for them they really don't care about workers safety or their concerns.
fun and productive
Production Worker (Current Employee), High River, ABJune 29, 2013
Cons: long hours
for me this is a very interesting job because during my fist day of my work I thought I couldn't do it sense this is not an easy job. what I've learned from this job is how to perform different welding positions like horizontal, vertical and overhead position. the hardest part is you are doing the overhead welding jobs but for me its a nice job and I'm having fun working with other people
Not a good place to work.
Package Handler, meat cutter (Former Employee), Guelph, ONApril 4, 2013
Pros: free occasional lunches, coffee and donuts
Cons: production lines run way to fast, alot of injuries.
Co-workers are great to work with. Hardest part of the job Is trying to keep up with the line speed. Management are not on the same page with employees. Overall Cargill is not a good employer. A typical day at work is a very hard working day. Learned how to keep good hygiene in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with fellow workers.
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees
Planning (Former Employee), CanadaJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: Well known Company
Cons: Poor Canadian Management
Poor Canadian management with careless treatment to employees. Employees are promoted mostly for friendship not due to their performance.
Manager adjust or change things according to their convenience not necessary following the company's policy.
Salaries for medium level employees are below the average in the industry.
Very stressful place to work. Poor or none training program. Learning by mistakes.
Hard part of the job, feeling hopeless for professional growth.
No room for advancement
Fibre Analyst/Analytical Chemist (Former Employee), Strathroy, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: good people, easy to work with personal commitments, good benefits, good safety culture
Cons: not competitive pay, poor management, poor experience, quality
Busy day, no recognition for good work
Poor salary, not competitive
Not a great diversity of knowledge/expertise
Safety considered a core value and proved as such
Quality needs improvement
Senior management focused on non-relevant issues and did not understand day-to-day needs
Worst place ever
Accountant (Former Employee), WinnipegFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: global presence
Cons: bad management attitude, extremely biased.
Worked at Cargill in Accounts department for less than a year.

I would say this is the worst company I have worked with in my entire life. Atleast the people that I worked with were like that.

Extremely unprofessional and biased attitude of the management. Salary is also on lower side. Won't recommend to anyone.
Understanding and managing change .
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), High River, ABMay 29, 2014
Pros: compensation, benefits, support.
Cons: long hours, extreme stress and safety hazard .
High risk fast pace , communicate with multiple departments and government agencies.
Delegate duties , acute safety responsibility , high pace execution.
Learn to lead.
Coach and develop trust with employees.
Align work and set goals valuing the company principals.

Give feedback and recognition - saying thank you.
productive and more knowledge work place
Industrial butcher/meat cutter (Former Employee), High River, AB CanadaMay 15, 2015
Pros: free lunch sometimes
Cons: long hours due to machine failure
8hours work 5 days a week
work hard
good
i learn to associate my other foreign co-worker
being alone in my position because luck of man power 2 or 3 person is needed
breaktime
Very safe place to work over the top !!!!!
General labor /Machine Operator/Lead Hand (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMarch 18, 2015
Early start to every morning !!!
Our production is getting busier and busier everyday!
An alarm went off and all the management and co-workers responded accordingly.
There is no hard pert about my job and the most enjoyable is the volume of production my team and i do everyday!!
Good to train you, then go elsewhere
Facility Manager (Current Employee), Canwood, SKMarch 4, 2015
Pros: crash course in reality.
Cons: you will be used until you give up
No recognition for effort, management hasn't got a clue. You will be simply a number if you work for Cargill. Great place to train and become proficient then get a job elsewhere for more money and less work, like all of their employees do.
Packaging of meat products
Packaging (Former Employee), Guelph, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: Pot Luck Lunches
Cons: Long hours standing
It was in a cold environment everyday thus, seasonal changes does not matter. Warm clothing worn everyday. Not an ideal job during the summer. Long hours mainly standing. Boring due to repetitive work at times. Good pay but the climate is just too cold.
Busy working medical & administrative day.
Health and Safety Administrator (Former Employee), London, ONDecember 16, 2014
I worked with my colleague nurses to help the employee with a high quality medical services. All the medical files are charted electronically and manually. all appointments are scheduled and editted. All patients are triaged in proper way. All outlook work, faxes and telephone calles are handed in proper way.
Attending some training meeting.
Headquarters