Carfax

Carfax Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Data Analyst/Business Objects Developer (Former Employee), Centerville, VASeptember 24, 2014
Overall I had a good experience .
plenty of scope learn new technologies
good working environment.
Fun place to work
Director - Infrastructure Operations (Current Employee), Columbia, MOMay 12, 2014
Fun place to work. Great culture
Management is very nice
Free Friday lunches
Tracking device, surveys for tracking, nepotism, upper management are bullies
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee), NortheastMarch 10, 2014
Cons: everything
I worked for this co for a long time. One of the worst places I have ever worked for. They track your activity with a tracking device in your vehicle. A survey co that interrogates the dealers after you visit them. The upper management is out of control with the premium product for a premium price bs. The data is garbage in garbage out. Hurts the car – more... industry. They are negative about the dealers that line there pockets with money from an overpriced product. Bottom line, lawsuits, nepotism, morale is very low and fixed sales contest's!!!!

BEWARE!! – less
Horrible Management
Associate (Former Employee), Centreville, VAMarch 7, 2014
Pros: free friday lunch
Cons: management
There is no room for growth unless you are a member of the elite family that works in the Centreville office. I guarantee if you stay on Facebook all day and walk around the office and do perhaps 30 minutes of work each day, you'd have a job. Carfax has let good, decent, honest, hardworking employees go and it's not right.
good company to work if you know some top management
Payroll Consultant (Former Employee), Centerville, VADecember 4, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: alway in watch over your shoulder
It tried to make happy for employee by providing Friday lunch and snacks here and there.
Great people to work with and good benefits
Application Administrator (Current Employee), Centreville, VAOctober 12, 2013
Pros: free lunch, flexible work schedule
A usually very relaxed and good atmosphere to work in.
I learned much about sales and servicing customers.
This helped me to gain insight into what customers need and require to stay with a company for many years
Free Friday Lunch Best Thing About Company
Associate (Current Employee), Centreville, VAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: dress code; free friday lunches
Cons: management
I thought this company was going to be a great company to grow with, but they don't give new employees a chance to grow. I feel like it is high school all over again. They tend to favor the employees that grew with the company from years ago, and get rid of the newer employees without a chance. There is no training. What have I learned? Not much of – more... anything. I am learning management does not communicate here and if they want you out, they make your life miserable. Management is a joke. They really need to take management skill classes and get confidential consistant feedback from coworkers. So many people not happy, but worried about a job. Very few co-workers happy, unless you are on the "good list", and you definitely know if you are. Too much micro-management going on, which I thought ended years ago. Only negative communication is given. Most of the attention is given to the Sales Team. You can tell who they are, because they are the ones walking around smiling. The hardest part of the job is making management happy. Never seems good enough. The most enjoyable parts of the job would be the VERY relaxed dress code and Free Friday lunches. – less
Fun place to work with limited growth potential
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Centreville, VASeptember 24, 2013
Carfax is a great place to work but doesn't allow much career growth
Office Setting
Office Admin (Former Employee), Centreville, VaMay 9, 2013
Pros: free lunch, breaks, benefits
Cons: office
Each day requires filing, sorting, and finding anything and everything that the boss needs to finish their jobs efficiently. Management is strict, solely to benefit the company. Every Friday is the big lunch-in where all the employees get a free lunch at the companies expense to make the workplace a better and happier environment.
Keep you head down and don't say anything
Glorified admin (Former Employee), CentrevilleMay 7, 2013
Pros: i was employed
Cons: to many to list
What I experienced and have seen. If you are asked by your supervisor for your opinion, don't give it if you want to survive. My experience is that your ideas will either be stolen and your manager will take credit for it as their own, or you will be branded as a trouble maker if they want feedback and it is not what they want to hear.

Many people – more... in power are experts at deflecting and covering up their mistakes and have no issues building a case to fire subordinates who did nothing wrong. When multiple people in the same position have been let go, it's either a bad hire or bad management. With the exhaustive interview process that they have, they cant be making that many bad hires, it must be internal issues, that HR is ignoring.

Nepotism is a huge problem.

Benefits are great but the pay is poor for the position as compared to other companies. Who cares about the benefits if you are looking over your shoulder and worried about being fired.

Resources that you need are scarce. Most resources are sent to the department that signs up the dealers, DBU, but it is wasted. They always have sales contests and spend big money on trips etc to sign dealers, but there is a finite amount of dealers, so basically they are signing the same dealers on a special promotion, over and over in a cycle that never ends and no one is measuring retention. The money and resources wasted there come at the expense of the rest of the company. If an OEM partner comes on board and the dealers need to be signed, they take a back seat to the DBU sales contests, in other words only the dealers with bonus money assigned to being signed are going to get signed up. There is no teamwork between departments or metrics in place to foster any cooperation or help.

A flat organization will likely mean little chance of promotion.

Little clicks and groups should have ended with high school, but they are prevalent.

HR pushes profiling the employees in an attempt to help managers in their job and coworkers become a higher performing team but, no one uses the profile. It's a feel good tool for HR but not actually practiced and a shame.

Overall it is a very frustrating company to work for. Lots of talent not being used and suppressed, or being fired and pushed out the door. Many growing pains that are not being handled well.

CARFAX is up for sale which has been in the news and now some dealers are taking legal action in a class action which should make things interesting.

It may have been a good company to work for in the past but I did not find the hype about being a top place to work to be true. Also, it was very disturbing to be pestered and pressured to fill out the survey positively so they could say they were a top place to work. – less

May 26, 2013

They have a very lengthy exhaustive interview process as if you were getting a job at the White House, yet even with that lengthy process, they are still terminating people. This means that they either keep making bad hiring decisions, even with the multiple layers of interviews and checks and balances, or that there are many problems in the organization causing the turnover. It’s the problems in the company and not the hiring process for sure!

Carfax put itself up for sale
Lower Manager (Former Employee), Centreville, VAMarch 24, 2013
Cons: company up for sale, frustrating work
You can search the internet and find that Carfax has put itself up for sale. This may explain some of the employee turnover and it would probably be a good guess that the uncertainty will cause problems.
Of course, once a new owner is found, who knows what that will mean as far as employment.

I found Carfax a challenging place to work at with little – more... support in the area I worked. Few resources made the job difficult to do. The company ranks departments in priority each year and my department was not high on the list, so there were little resources available, but the managers did not care.

The benefits while good, don’t make up for the frustration on the job, and the organizational structure is flat so chances of promotions are slim.

Carfax was also recently challenged on the ABC news show 20/20 which anyone can search on the web, and it would be worth looking at.

Recap: Good benefits, frustrating work, little help, little chance of moving up in the company, the company is being sold, and employee turnover appears to be increasing. – less
Best place I have ever worked
Manager (Current Employee), Columbia, MOMarch 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches, shuffle puck, ping pong, basketball, meditation rooms, board games, awesome people
Cons: none that i can think of
I've worked for several different companies and can honestly say that this is the best place I have ever worked. They truly believe in work/life balance and having fun on the job. Everyone is concerned about you the person. We are a team and a family!
Resources Nepotism Ethics Growing Pains
Employee (Former Employee), CentrevilleFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: benefits were good
Cons: lack of resources, nepotism, ethcs, growing pains, compensation low
Simply put, it probably will be a frustrating place to work if you are the kind of person who has high ethics and has works hard. Resources that you will need to accomplish your objectives are very thin, and unless you work in the marketing or dealer business departments, you will struggle to get bandwidth to serve your internal and external customers – more... at the level they deserve. Adding to that is a huge nepotism problem in the company which creates another set of challenges entirely. The ethics issues have to do with a distortion of facts and also has to do with how some people navigate within the company. You may have difficulties if your values do not match. Growing pains abound! – less
Thumbs down in most areas
Associate (Former Employee), CentrevilleJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: benefits were really good
Cons: pay was under what other companies pay for the same job, no opportunities to advance because of structure.
Typical day at work is finding people who can help you get the job done. Some departments have the resources they need but my department was thin on resources and that made the job a tough one. Working there I learned that companies change and at one point may have been a nice place to work, but sometimes they change. I did not find the hype of being – more... one of the best places to be true, at least not in my department. Management was poor and I can not understand why one family has so many people working there, because it causes problems. Coworkers were great for the most part. Hardest part of job was the lack of resources for my area. Also they will frequently make videos using employees to praise the company at are used internally to pump people up, but if you did not want to do it, you were pressured a lot and had to do it anyway and say things you did not believe. Also did not like being pressured to fill out the survey with false statements about what a nice place it was to work there so they say they were a best place to work. Most enjoyable part was leaving there because now I have an employer who really likes the work I do and gives me what I need to get it done, which idid not have when working there. – less
Fun and flexible work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee), Centreville, VAJanuary 31, 2013
I love being able to dress casually, whether I'm heading to a meeting or participating in a prize winning contest during our weekly free Friday lunch.
Great place to work!
Current Employee (Current Employee), CentrevilleJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: teamwork, nice people, work-life balance
Cons: there aren't enough companies like this one!
This is not you typical company. They really care about their employees and give them the tools and resources to be successful. I am happy to be a part of such a great company!
Account Manager (Current Employee), Centreville, VAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: no dress code, benefits, environment etc.
CARFAX is a great place to work, I love my job! It is not very easy to make everyone happy, I'm not sure I would pay much attention to the negative comments. Again, you can't please everyone. The culture here is unlike any other company out there! I would totally tell people to apply for a position here!!
In a decline
Accounts (Former Employee), Centreville VAJanuary 15, 2013
I was badgered to positively fill out the survey that comes out every few years that ranks this as a top place to work. I do not know if others were pressured to do this, but assume they were. Also be prepared to have many frustrated workdays to the point that you will end up not enjoying coming to work. Life is short, find a place that values you or – more... where you can be in a position to make change. Because the org structure is flat, there is not much chance of advancement so why stay and put up with the nonsense. The company is changing and not what it once was. Very frustrating and so happy I am no longer there. – less
New company motto, "Do more with less" and letting people go before the holidays
Employee (Former Employee), CentrevilleDecember 26, 2012
Cons: lost values and culture change in the wrong direction
This year the company has a new motto, "Do more with less!"

The new motto should give you clues as to how the company culture is changing at carfax, toward the negative.

There have been some talented hard working people who have been swept out the door, and worse yet during the holidays. It's not fun to see people used this way, especailly when as – more... a coworker, you know the reasons they let go of someone were not true, and the employee was set up to fail. Carfax culture in the past would not have allowed something like that to happen, but things have changed as the company has grown.

It's easy for a manager to save money in their division by eliminating people, and not replacing them for a few months. The carfax hiring process usually takes some time to select a candidate anyway, so it is easy for a quarter of the year to go by without an employee to fill the spot, thus saving money which in the end, will net larger bonuses in the spring. Carfax has always prided themselves on running lean, but this year with the new motto being to do more with less, you can see values being compromised within the company.

What a shame that this is happening. – less

February 27, 2013

The interviewing process was unnecessarily tedious... I felt as if I was applying for work at Pixar. The reality was for me that everyone BUT the guy who had final say was GREAT. Super positive, good interviews that showed they had done their homework on me. The VP? Had ZERO knowledge of me and I KNOW that he was the person that kept me from being hired. Starting to sound like it's OK I didn't "get" the job. Dodged a bullet...

Carfax in rapid decline and no longer a gret place to work
Manager (Former Employee), CentrevilleDecember 7, 2012
It is such a shame that Carfax has declined and is no longer a great place to work. The senior management team is in denial and thinks that people who voice their negative opinions about the company are part of a small handful of people who are bad apples, but what is happening is a rapid decline in core values within the company. Their corporate culture – more... previously was celebrated for empowering their workers and allowing creative freedom to find new ways to work, but now the culture is one where they are suppressing creativity and sharing of opinions. To say the company is having growing pains is an understatement; they are not handling it well.

Carfax will be a tough place to work with challenges on many levels, so much so that after a while, the pay and benefits will not matter. This is not to say that everyone is unhappy, but so many people have become frustrated in watching a great company decline.

Expect to find high levels of nepotism, unprofessional managers, and a shortage of resources to get your job done. Don’t be surprised to see highly qualified passionate coworkers dismissed for nothing other than their managers were protecting their job when someone stellar was beginning to outshine them. Carfax is not the company they previously were, but they will still try and sell you the cool aid, and inspire you with past accomplishments and being voted one of the best places to work. Just remember, that things change, they never remain the same. – less

About Carfax

The most trusted provider of vehicle history information, CARFAX is used by millions of consumers each year. CARFAX Vehicle History – Read more