Carfax Employee Reviews

Daily Routine
Senior Strategic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAMarch 30, 2016
My daily regime consist of phone calls, emails, and prospecting. I use the second part of my day for follow ups and deals close.
CARFAX culture has taught me the importance of enjoying what you do daily.
On a Team of 30 reps and a goal of 500 sales a month. Management does a great job at motivating without pressure of micro managing. Your expected to do what you was hired to do.

Most difficult part of my job is getting back into the fight with a prospect the month before. not giving up!

Best part of my job is when that prospect gives me a shot and signs.

Then it starts over again.
Pros
Free lunches, raffles, ive won over 7k worth of merch and prices.
Cons
no complaints. Insurance was great! rarely a co pay for my kids for visits.
Productive and Inspiring work Culture
Data Steward Temp (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VAJanuary 5, 2016
This is an enjoyable job that has many alluring benefits. A typical day deals with IT programs created internally that help to sort, analyze and make decisions regarding important data that is vital to the company.

I have learned to effectively analyze, conduct, and determine which decisions need to be made all the while researching different cases that need to be resolved.

The management is also a benefit. One thing to note is that the managers do not micromanage which is a definite plus. Employees seem to work harder and a bit more productive under these circumstances.
Pros
Free Friday Lunch
Cons
No time Off for Temp Employees
Overall Carfax is a good comapny.
Special Project Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VAMarch 18, 2016
Opportunities are limited for advancement and the new owners, IHS corporation are making changes that are not conducive to productivity.
Carfax
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAFebruary 29, 2016
Nothing to really say about the company at this time. No advancement unless you move to another department within the company
Great place to work, great people and work-life balance
Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 6, 2016
CARFAX was a really great place to work. Almost everybody I came into contact with was helpful and had a good attitude. Work schedule was phenomenal, and the paired programming environment was a great way to learn and make the days more fun. Friday afternoon development time was a real bonus as well.
Pros
Free friday lunch, professional development time, XP
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Diamond in the rough
HR (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VADecember 4, 2015
The Wash DC area is filled with Govt Contracting positions and I worked in a few of them....FILLED with stress, uncertainty, etc....finding this position at CARFAX has been like finding a little treasure in the middle of a mess. This company/position (for me) has checked every box I wanted to have checked....great location (no downtown commute). laid back work environment, TERRIFIC people where everyone is always in a great mood because they all enjoy working here and a sound company that has an amazing history and an even brighter vision for its future!!! I've heard stories of how working was 'amazing' ....but now that I do....I see that all the stories were true!! A great place to work!!
Pros
Laid back environment (no dress code), free lunches, amazing work environment....
Cons
Honestly cant think of any at this time.....
Do not recommend
REGIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAJuly 20, 2015
The company no longer focuses on vehicle history but on a new product called used car listings. The new product is not performing in most regions and dealers want to cancel but as an account manager you can not let them cancel even if not getting results and CARFAX not doing what they promised. Also, CARFAX gives dealers price increases every year, sometimes a 60% increase with no explanation.
There has been a huge turnover as people get tired of pushing a product that does not work and when the managers even sniff that you are losing faith they fire you.
Gossip and rumors are encouraged. It is what managers use to validate their assessment of you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not paid fairly when sell the product
Overall a great company
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  MidwestOctober 22, 2015
Can't really say a bad thing about it. Great balance overall. Compensation could always be better but its fair. Keep up the great work.
Carfax put itself up for sale
Lower Manager (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAMarch 24, 2013
You can search the internet and find that Carfax has put itself up for sale. This may explain some of the employee turnover and it would probably be a good guess that the uncertainty will cause problems.
Of course, once a new owner is found, who knows what that will mean as far as employment.

I found Carfax a challenging place to work at with little support in the area I worked. Few resources made the job difficult to do. The company ranks departments in priority each year and my department was not high on the list, so there were little resources available, but the managers did not care.

The benefits while good, don’t make up for the frustration on the job, and the organizational structure is flat so chances of promotions are slim.

Carfax was also recently challenged on the ABC news show 20/20 which anyone can search on the web, and it would be worth looking at.

Recap: Good benefits, frustrating work, little help, little chance of moving up in the company, the company is being sold, and employee turnover appears to be increasing.
Cons
company up for sale, frustrating work
Thumbs down in most areas
Associate (Former Employee) –  CentrevilleJanuary 31, 2013
Typical day at work is finding people who can help you get the job done. Some departments have the resources they need but my department was thin on resources and that made the job a tough one. Working there I learned that companies change and at one point may have been a nice place to work, but sometimes they change. I did not find the hype of being one of the best places to be true, at least not in my department. Management was poor and I can not understand why one family has so many people working there, because it causes problems. Coworkers were great for the most part. Hardest part of job was the lack of resources for my area. Also they will frequently make videos using employees to praise the company at are used internally to pump people up, but if you did not want to do it, you were pressured a lot and had to do it anyway and say things you did not believe. Also did not like being pressured to fill out the survey with false statements about what a nice place it was to work there so they say they were a best place to work. Most enjoyable part was leaving there because now I have an employer who really likes the work I do and gives me what I need to get it done, which idid not have when working there.
Pros
benefits were really good
Cons
pay was under what other companies pay for the same job, no opportunities to advance because of structure.
Used to be great, steadily going downhill
Associate (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAMay 24, 2015
I worked at CARFAX for a very long time and it used to be an amazing place to work. You really felt like everyone cared about everyone else. Man has that changed. It now feels like you are in a daily competition to keep off "the bad list". God forbid you have a bad day and your numbers take a dip or you disagree with a new process change and vocalize your opinion. They say they want you to feel free to speak your mind and that they want an open team but they don't. The first time you don't agree with anything they say, you are automatically considered on the list. Not a place you want to be. If they want you out, they make your life miserable until you quit or they let you go.

It used to be about taking care of the customer, now it's all about how many people you can get to and who cares if you are taking care of them properly or they walk away happy. Quality has taken a backseat to quantity and metrics. Management used to trust you to do your job. Now they are constantly tracking you. God forbid you take too many bathroom breaks or stand up to talk to a coworker/ask a question. All of the sudden you're a slacker.

There is always pressure to fill out the employee survey to show what a great place to work CARFAX is. You can just walk around and tell how great it is now. Where there used to be smiling and laughing and people enjoying their job, now everyone has earbuds in and heads down trying not to draw attention to themselves. People who cared about their job and their customer have long gone and has been replaced with people who only care about themselves or those
  more... that used to care and are now just treading water trying to hold onto their jobs. It's sad.

While the benefits are indeed great, it's not worth the stress and aggravation that comes along with it. Better to find some place that truly cares about their employees and not just the appearance that they do.
Pros
Free Friday lunch, great benefits
Cons
Favoritism, Stress, constantly looking over your shoulder
Carfax in rapid decline and no longer a gret place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  CentrevilleDecember 7, 2012
It is such a shame that Carfax has declined and is no longer a great place to work. The senior management team is in denial and thinks that people who voice their negative opinions about the company are part of a small handful of people who are bad apples, but what is happening is a rapid decline in core values within the company. Their corporate culture previously was celebrated for empowering their workers and allowing creative freedom to find new ways to work, but now the culture is one where they are suppressing creativity and sharing of opinions. To say the company is having growing pains is an understatement; they are not handling it well.

Carfax will be a tough place to work with challenges on many levels, so much so that after a while, the pay and benefits will not matter. This is not to say that everyone is unhappy, but so many people have become frustrated in watching a great company decline.

Expect to find high levels of nepotism, unprofessional managers, and a shortage of resources to get your job done. Don’t be surprised to see highly qualified passionate coworkers dismissed for nothing other than their managers were protecting their job when someone stellar was beginning to outshine them. Carfax is not the company they previously were, but they will still try and sell you the cool aid, and inspire you with past accomplishments and being voted one of the best places to work. Just remember, that things change, they never remain the same.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VAJanuary 24, 2013
CARFAX is a great place to work, I love my job! It is not very easy to make everyone happy, I'm not sure I would pay much attention to the negative comments. Again, you can't please everyone. The culture here is unlike any other company out there! I would totally tell people to apply for a position here!!
Pros
no dress code, benefits, environment etc.
Office Setting
Office Admin (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VaMay 9, 2013
Each day requires filing, sorting, and finding anything and everything that the boss needs to finish their jobs efficiently. Management is strict, solely to benefit the company. Every Friday is the big lunch-in where all the employees get a free lunch at the companies expense to make the workplace a better and happier environment.
Pros
free lunch, breaks, benefits
Cons
office
Resources Nepotism Ethics Growing Pains
Employee (Former Employee) –  CentrevilleFebruary 26, 2013
Simply put, it probably will be a frustrating place to work if you are the kind of person who has high ethics and has works hard. Resources that you will need to accomplish your objectives are very thin, and unless you work in the marketing or dealer business departments, you will struggle to get bandwidth to serve your internal and external customers at the level they deserve. Adding to that is a huge nepotism problem in the company which creates another set of challenges entirely. The ethics issues have to do with a distortion of facts and also has to do with how some people navigate within the company. You may have difficulties if your values do not match. Growing pains abound!
Pros
benefits were good
Cons
lack of resources, nepotism, ethcs, growing pains, compensation low
In a decline
Accounts (Former Employee) –  Centreville VAJanuary 15, 2013
I was badgered to positively fill out the survey that comes out every few years that ranks this as a top place to work. I do not know if others were pressured to do this, but assume they were. Also be prepared to have many frustrated workdays to the point that you will end up not enjoying coming to work. Life is short, find a place that values you or where you can be in a position to make change. Because the org structure is flat, there is not much chance of advancement so why stay and put up with the nonsense. The company is changing and not what it once was. Very frustrating and so happy I am no longer there.
Tracking device, surveys for tracking, nepotism, upper management are bullies
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  NortheastMarch 10, 2014
I worked for this co for a long time. One of the worst places I have ever worked for. They track your activity with a tracking device in your vehicle. A survey co that interrogates the dealers after you visit them. The upper management is out of control with the premium product for a premium price bs. The data is garbage in garbage out. Hurts the car industry. They are negative about the dealers that line there pockets with money from an overpriced product. Bottom line, lawsuits, nepotism, morale is very low and fixed sales contest's!!!!

BEWARE!!
Cons
everything
Productive & interesting
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, ENGJuly 28, 2015
Carfax was a little shop, which was always busy and increasing my knowledge of what was sold. with endless jobs needed to be completed, it always kept me occupied.
Pros
flexible hours.
Cons
alot to learn in regards to unknown products
No longer a great company and they have lost their focus
Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 28, 2012
This is a good example of what previously was a great company, but is now beginning to decline.

High levels of confidence, the kind of confidence that made Carfax grow so rapidly and such a good company to work for is now being replaced with arrogance, especially among the SR Management team and lower management.

They have lost sight of who their customer is, and they loosely throw around the word “partner”, to describe the relationship between their dealers and the auto manufacturers who use their services, but they don’t believe it. They say their dealers are partners but behind the scenes, they say that they are thieves and cheats. When did bashing your customer become the right thing to do? They have forgotten who pays their bills, and they can come across sometimes as a bully in the business.

SR Management feels they can do no wrong. This again, is confidence that has now turned to arrogance. If you make a suggestion or point out an area of concern, you can easily be branded as a trouble maker. This is sad because it is stifling productivity and breeding an environment where employees no longer want to share opinions or help improve the company.

Part of the Arrogance comes from one very high level manager who has influenced the hiring so many family members, that most of us have lost count. Nepotism is very high, and while a few of the family members are talented and hard workers, most are not and they are fast tracked into management positions without the skill levels to support the job. This causes moral issues for other employees who want to work hard and grow within
  more... the company.

Protectionism is also a big issue. Multiple times, managers have fired and ruined the careers of employees to protect their own jobs, blaming others for things that have gone wrong under their watch.

Bandwidth of available resources is lacking and this creates difficulty serving their customers. It is very challenging to get things done, and this year, they have a new mantra, which is to do more with less, which increases the difficulty of getting your work done and helping your customers.

The company is regularly chosen as one of the best places to work in Washington DC, but you will be coerced to fill out the independent survey positively, and not give your turn feelings. Don’t assume like I did that being voted the best place to work, means it really is. Years ago, it was. Now, it is not the case.

Carfax will be a challenging place to work if you have morals and values. Their benefits are however outstanding, which is great, but benefits alone do not make a great company. it is so sad to see what was once a very special place to work, become what it is today.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
benefits alone do not make a great company
VERY INVASIVE COMPANY!
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  SouthwestMarch 27, 2015
GPS unit in your car, tracking software in your iPad--they know if you gave a presentation AND they call your dealers to see if you talked about what you wrote in Salesforce! Didn't bother me at first because I work, but after a while it gets annoying!

Terrible training--it's definitely "learn by your mistakes!"

Dealers HATE CARFAX and aren't afraid to tell you. I've never been called so many names, cussed at and even threatened with violence in my entire life!
Pros
Nice expense account and that's it!
Cons
Just about everything--Second worst job I ever had.

2.8