Carfax Employee Reviews

It's a blast to go to work every day!
Product Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MO14 December 2016
You'll have fun every day you go to work. I can promise you that. There's always some kind of activity going on around the office, whether it's kickball or Peeps decorating for Easter. There's something for everyone and a lot of smiles to be had.
Pros
Free Friday Lunch, Generous Break Schedule, Long Lunch Break
Cons
Pay is pretty average, Management could be better.
Best job I ever had
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA28 September 2016
People and culture is amazing. They actually treat you like a person and respect your time. The is no micro management. Pay is amazing. 13 paid holidays.
Good Company Hope you have a good manager
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL11 September 2016
I love everything about Carfax. the biggest challenge i feel is the upper management team understanding the challenges of smaller markets. all of those in smaller/rural markets tend to have a harder time keeping pace with those in larger markets and having that be understood as a whole
Pros
Work Life Balance
Great place to work, great people and work-life balance
Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MO6 July 2016
CARFAX was a really great place to work. Almost everybody I came into contact with was helpful and had a good attitude. Work schedule was phenomenal, and the paired programming environment was a great way to learn and make the days more fun. Friday afternoon development time was a real bonus as well.
Pros
Free friday lunch, professional development time, XP
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Daily Routine
Senior Strategic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VA30 March 2016
My daily regime consist of phone calls, emails, and prospecting. I use the second part of my day for follow ups and deals close.
CARFAX culture has taught me the importance of enjoying what you do daily.
On a Team of 30 reps and a goal of 500 sales a month. Management does a great job at motivating without pressure of micro managing. Your expected to do what you was hired to do.

Most difficult part of my job is getting back into the fight with a prospect the month before. not giving up!

Best part of my job is when that prospect gives me a shot and signs.

Then it starts over again.
Pros
Free lunches, raffles, ive won over 7k worth of merch and prices.
Cons
no complaints. Insurance was great! rarely a co pay for my kids for visits.
Overall Carfax is a good comapny.
Special Project Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA18 March 2016
Opportunities are limited for advancement and the new owners, IHS corporation are making changes that are not conducive to productivity.
Carfax
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VA29 February 2016
Nothing to really say about the company at this time. No advancement unless you move to another department within the company
Productive and Inspiring work Culture
Data Steward Temp (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA5 January 2016
This is an enjoyable job that has many alluring benefits. A typical day deals with IT programs created internally that help to sort, analyze and make decisions regarding important data that is vital to the company.

I have learned to effectively analyze, conduct, and determine which decisions need to be made all the while researching different cases that need to be resolved.

The management is also a benefit. One thing to note is that the managers do not micromanage which is a definite plus. Employees seem to work harder and a bit more productive under these circumstances.
Pros
Free Friday Lunch
Cons
No time Off for Temp Employees
Diamond in the rough
HR (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA4 December 2015
The Wash DC area is filled with Govt Contracting positions and I worked in a few of them....FILLED with stress, uncertainty, etc....finding this position at CARFAX has been like finding a little treasure in the middle of a mess. This company/position (for me) has checked every box I wanted to have checked....great location (no downtown commute). laid back work environment, TERRIFIC people where everyone is always in a great mood because they all enjoy working here and a sound company that has an amazing history and an even brighter vision for its future!!! I've heard stories of how working was 'amazing' ....but now that I do....I see that all the stories were true!! A great place to work!!
Pros
Laid back environment (no dress code), free lunches, amazing work environment....
Cons
Honestly cant think of any at this time.....
Overall a great company
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Midwest22 October 2015
Can't really say a bad thing about it. Great balance overall. Compensation could always be better but its fair. Keep up the great work.
Productive & interesting
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, ENG28 July 2015
Carfax was a little shop, which was always busy and increasing my knowledge of what was sold. with endless jobs needed to be completed, it always kept me occupied.
Pros
flexible hours.
Cons
alot to learn in regards to unknown products
Do not recommend
REGIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VA20 July 2015
The company no longer focuses on vehicle history but on a new product called used car listings. The new product is not performing in most regions and dealers want to cancel but as an account manager you can not let them cancel even if not getting results and CARFAX not doing what they promised. Also, CARFAX gives dealers price increases every year, sometimes a 60% increase with no explanation.
There has been a huge turnover as people get tired of pushing a product that does not work and when the managers even sniff that you are losing faith they fire you.
Gossip and rumors are encouraged. It is what managers use to validate their assessment of you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not paid fairly when sell the product
Used to be great, steadily going downhill
Associate (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VA24 May 2015
I worked at CARFAX for a very long time and it used to be an amazing place to work. You really felt like everyone cared about everyone else. Man has that changed. It now feels like you are in a daily competition to keep off "the bad list". God forbid you have a bad day and your numbers take a dip or you disagree with a new process change and vocalize your opinion. They say they want you to feel free to speak your mind and that they want an open team but they don't. The first time you don't agree with anything they say, you are automatically considered on the list. Not a place you want to be. If they want you out, they make your life miserable until you quit or they let you go.

It used to be about taking care of the customer, now it's all about how many people you can get to and who cares if you are taking care of them properly or they walk away happy. Quality has taken a backseat to quantity and metrics. Management used to trust you to do your job. Now they are constantly tracking you. God forbid you take too many bathroom breaks or stand up to talk to a coworker/ask a question. All of the sudden you're a slacker.

There is always pressure to fill out the employee survey to show what a great place to work CARFAX is. You can just walk around and tell how great it is now. Where there used to be smiling and laughing and people enjoying their job, now everyone has earbuds in and heads down trying not to draw attention to themselves. People who cared about their job and their customer have long gone and has been replaced with people who only care about themselves or those
  more... that used to care and are now just treading water trying to hold onto their jobs. It's sad.

While the benefits are indeed great, it's not worth the stress and aggravation that comes along with it. Better to find some place that truly cares about their employees and not just the appearance that they do.
Pros
Free Friday lunch, great benefits
Cons
Favoritism, Stress, constantly looking over your shoulder
VERY INVASIVE COMPANY!
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Southwest27 March 2015
GPS unit in your car, tracking software in your iPad--they know if you gave a presentation AND they call your dealers to see if you talked about what you wrote in Salesforce! Didn't bother me at first because I work, but after a while it gets annoying!

Terrible training--it's definitely "learn by your mistakes!"

Dealers HATE CARFAX and aren't afraid to tell you. I've never been called so many names, cussed at and even threatened with violence in my entire life!
Pros
Nice expense account and that's it!
Cons
Just about everything--Second worst job I ever had.
Great environment to truly learn and grow and have fun while doing it.
Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MO4 February 2015
I love working at CARFAX. I have never worked for a company that wants to and does right by employees. We have a sense of being in it all together and want to be successful. We also celebrate our successes frequently and it could range from having a happy hour during work hours to taking a half day field trip to go play mini-golf.
Everyday is a new experience and for once I can say I don't mind waking up and going to work!
Pros
Free Friday lunches, the people, making my job what I want it to be
Cons
ZERO!
Nice place to work.
Inside Sales Consultant, Collision Repair Network (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA14 October 2014
*Great benefits.
* Free lunches every Friday.
* Co-workers are great.
Good
Data Analyst/Business Objects Developer (Former Employee) –  Centerville, VA24 September 2014
Overall I had a good experience .
plenty of scope learn new technologies
good working environment.
Wonderful Company to work for
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VA3 June 2014
Wonderful management, huge learning opportunities, wonderful people, work-life balance is a big thing.
Fun place to work
Director - Infrastructure Operations (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MO12 May 2014
Fun place to work. Great culture
Management is very nice
Free Friday lunches
Tracking device, surveys for tracking, nepotism, upper management are bullies
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Northeast10 March 2014
I worked for this co for a long time. One of the worst places I have ever worked for. They track your activity with a tracking device in your vehicle. A survey co that interrogates the dealers after you visit them. The upper management is out of control with the premium product for a premium price bs. The data is garbage in garbage out. Hurts the car industry. They are negative about the dealers that line there pockets with money from an overpriced product. Bottom line, lawsuits, nepotism, morale is very low and fixed sales contest's!!!!

BEWARE!!
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carfax. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9