Caressant Care Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
3 shifts and done with the staff
Psw (Former Employee) –  Lindsay Mary St25 July 2017
I worked here for 3 shifts. Would never go back again. The coworkers were brutal to me and each other. Tear each other down and foster a very negative and catty work environment. Was told that managements attitude is to blame as they encourage the gossiping and infighting but I didn't stay long enough to find out. Only took 3 days to find out I could never work in such a negative environment. That setting is terrible for the residents and I couldn't bear to be a part of it.
Pros
Shifts 8 hours, good pay
Cons
Negative work environment, too few staff for each shift
Great place
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON13 July 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to spend time with residents. I wish the student hours could be a little more, I think we would have more students staying with us then always having to hire new ones.
horrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Arthur, ON11 July 2017
it was horrible place to work due to the management at the time. a team is only as good as the management allows them to be. My co workers were great for the most part we were just a bunch of hard working and loving women that wanted the best for our residents. we always did our best with the lack of supplies that we were given
The best place to work
PAB (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 June 2017
The company is well organized and the staff is really good, if you work there, you'll be well paid.That's the much I can say about them, I recommend them.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Working with the elderly can be rewarding
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON3 July 2016
The management are kind of rude. It is nice that there is a union because then the managers can't screw you over(although, mine tries). Some coworkers are nice, others not so nice.
Cons
More work than time allows
Nursing careers that leave yu fulfilled
Part Time RN (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON20 April 2016
Nursing is a hands on career in LTC - The complexities of the residents, require critical thinking to triage the needs and meet them. With increased demand on documentation, it is a fine line in completing the tasks requiring documentation within an 8 hour period. Often times required documentation requires the need to complete after the end of the shift. Without pay. This is chronic throughout the healthcare system that is strapped to provide pay for completion of tasks. Healthcare facilities work within basic levels of Ministry Standards with very little perks for performance. However this is across the board. Caressant Care is a for profit chain of homes throughout Ontario that provides those basic needs to it's residents within the standards of care. At the end of the day it is the smile on the resident's faces and their trust which is the most valuable. The administrator is usually a non nursing person who caries out the daily management of the home well. The stress is on the Director of Care to meet the needs of staff, scheduling, dealing with families and their stress, staff and their stress, ordering supplies, ensuring the standards are met, discipline and it is a very heavy role which is often not maintained for more than 5 years because of the stress. This stressful role then invades the culture of the home and the staff and can create a toxic environment. There is a need for more calm and support in the role, as they DON is sandwiched between upper management, internal management, familes, residents and staff.

Co-workers are pleasant, capable.

The
  more... smiles and responses from residents and making a difference in their lives is the best part of the day. Not feeling effective in meeting the needs of the residents, i.e. MD who does not return calls is the most difficult and puts a lot of pressure on ensuring the comfort and needs of residents are met medically is a REAL challenge. Often times requiring residents to be sent to hospital for emergent medical needs, causing disruption to the resident through transfer, and to the added cost to families to pay for transport back from hospital is also a real stressor.  less
Pros
No pros... No
Cons
Long hours, missed breaks, no medical benefits, difficulty getting vacation time without hassle
Guest Attendant (Former Employee) –  Listowel, ON25 May 2015
Busy place with lots of wonderful residents/guests.
Fantastic hard working staff.
A lot of responsibilities and rewards. Just great to be with seniors.
Fun workplace, fast paced.
Student Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON3 March 2015
In Caressant Care, I worked as a dietary student. I learned a variety of culinary skills, communication skills and waitressing skills while working with the Elderly,
I did basic cleaning jobs in the kitchen (mopping, sweeping, deep cleaning.) I also served meals, portioned out dinners, desserts, served beverages, set tables and washed dishes.
Pros
Learning experience, good salary.
Cons
Long hours when call ins.
Love working with the residents
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON10 February 2015
The most rewarding part of my job is I get to work with the residents and hear personal stories of when they were young, bringing up and raising their families. We have a lot of war veterans who are willing to share what it was like for them back in the day.
Pros
Only work one weekend a month, straight days, working the residents.
Cons
Low morale
Welcoming Atomoshpere
Restorative Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Harriston, ON12 November 2014
I love my place of employment, the management is very easy to talk to and the staff are like family. I feel that my job is very rewarding. I work with residents who have some impairment, and help them rebuild strength, self esteem and independence. We work on walking, standing, range of motion, feeding oneself. Sometimes we are very successful example: a man came in, early sixties and had , had a stroke. He couldn't stand, even with help and was like a bowl of jelly. Eight months later , he is walking with a quad cane and two staff.
The hardest part is when a resident becomes depressed because he or she didn't do as well as they did yesterday. I do my very best to be encouraging and let them know everyone has good days and bad.
Pros
Welcoming atomsphore
Cons
Not much room to advance
Worked Independently
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arthur, ON4 December 2013
I worked closely with the Administrator and was required to fulfill all office duties.
Pros
Own Office
Cons
No raises or bonuses
productive yet challenging owrk setting with a positive outlook, and time managment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON7 October 2013
- bathe residents
- serve, feed, clean tables
- get residents ready for bed
- serve evening snack
- put residents to bed
- charting
Pros
seeing the smiles on residents faces when you walk in to your shift
Cons
watching residents decline
enjoyable atmosphere and staffs are very friendly
support worker student (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON6 August 2013
i liked my clinical posting there and i met too many friendly clients and now i miss them .on the other side the staffs are too helpful and friendly.
Pros
Cons
nothing
Loved working with people and learning new things
Nurses Aide (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 September 2012
It was very rewarding for me to know that me working there I was helping someone who needed it. Listening to the stories of what went on in the past when I wasn't even born yet. Hardest part of the job was when the patients would pass away, it was very hard.
Crazy hours
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Fergus,on23 March 2012
I worked at Caressant Care for 5 years and that whole time I never saw one person happy, that includes the clients and the employees.
I enjoyed the people I worked with they were somewhat supportive but the management was not always on the employees side.
Pros
good wages
Cons
crazy hours