CarePartners Employee Reviews

Company is a joke
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON26 October 2016
Supervisor are bombarded with different roles and dont get paid enough! No raises for non uinon staff in the last 10 years. Expected to do everything, patient visits, psw supervisings, hiring, orientation, WSIB claims, investigations etc. So regardless if you're new or been there for 10years your pay is the same. No insentive! Very stressful!
Cons
Pay, lack of raises
Busy, Intense and Fast-paced
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON29 November 2016
1. Employment: easy to get employment! This company is fast growing and getting more and more pts from CCAC and private sectors; that is why they always need health care professionals. If you are a nurse with at least 6 months experience they will hire you definitely.

2. Salary and benefits: for nurses they pay per visit rather than by hours. A newly hired RPN would get 17.18/visit regardless of his/her experience. In the niagara branch (HNHB) there is a union now (OPSEU) so the salary will definitely go up with seniority, based on the union's rules. Benefits are EXTREMELY COSTLY; and the bad news is all the benefits are MANDATORY. Gas is paid at 0.42/km as per OPSEU; oncall is paid at 30 per day and if you get calls when you are oncall, you get doubled visit pay.

3. Job security: This company has tooooooooooo many patients to take care of! As a full-time community nurse, theoretically you work 3 days in the first week and 4 days in the second week plus weekends and oncall. But the truth is you are booked almost EVERY DAY with at least 8 visits to do. The HNHB branch receives at least 80 referrals daily from CCAC. That is why nurses are leaving this company because they are EXHAUSTED and OVERUSED.

4. Education and Training: you always have a lot of chances to learn. This company provides paid educaiton at 19.38/hr and you can sign up for IV, dialysis, central line, advanced wound care and other specialised courses. The only problem is the waiting period is TOO LONG. By the way the orientation for new nurse is horrible. They put you 2 days in the office and 2 days in
  more... the field and after all these so called training you are sent out to work in the community on your own. If any mistakes happen to you, you are the one who is liable.

5. Management and co-workers: managers and upper levels always show a respecting attitudes to nurses and psws and tried their best to solve the workers problems. The only problem is the management is so short-staffed and every single manager is burnt out. For this reason it takes time to reach them. Co-workers are GREAT, helpful and warm-hearted. You always get help from them and they are your backups.

I would give the company 3-4 stars review.
Pros
Good coworkers, fair management, lots of works for you to do
Cons
long drive, long hours, expensive benefits, low salary for new hire
Productive and Caring work Environment
PSW (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 May 2016
The Environment is very friendly and supportive of everyone's decisions and suggestions. I learned a lot about being a personal support worker working in a simulated environment.
Pros
Free Lunches, Benefits
Carepartners
PSW (Current Employee) –  kitchener ont3 June 2016
Contracted through ccac. Works well with employers to schedule

hours available.

Fits clients with staff that benefits them.
Pros
Interpersonal staff
Cons
1 hour clients
not a good place to work
PSW (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON11 November 2016
I worked for this company for years, I've had years experience working as a PSW, I wouldn't recommend any young person go into this field, you are nothing but a cleaning lady they do not respect you especially in the homecare sector. I worked for years in homecare .There are a lot of good clients that you just love but than there are the ones that are demanding and they just might not like you because you have red hair a tattoo or your over weight. Please take my advice dont work in homecare go in for a nurse or work in the trades. It will not change, it is good if you have a union but management can still make it difficult. Good Luck thats all I can say
Pros
unionized
Cons
not properly paid for gas and travel time management horrible
poor management
psw (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 November 2015
Previously known as red cross. At that time excellent company to work for. Since takeover by care partners half staff has quit. Poor management , inconsiderate of staff., demanding, expect the impossible, unfriendly towards staff. No meeting together. No Christmas get together., no nothing. Changes made in management constantly and we are not even notified. We are not introduced to new management so in reality we don't even know who is in charge. Can't keep supervisors making psw jobs more difficult. No concern for their staff or injuries on the job. Not a caring agency considering their role as supplying care. Management gets good pay. Employees have not had a raise in 6 years. All about profit. Not recommended as source of employment unless desperate for work.
Pros
Cons
limited hours. expect miracles
high stress environment due to poor management stills
Client Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON1 July 2016
the hardest part of working for this company is not having enough support from management.

A typical day working at this company you are given and expected to do so much work that 95% of the time you don't even have time to take a lunch. Everyone is constantly on edge because there is so much work to be done and not enough staff to cover the work load that's unevenly disturbed among the coordinators.

The best part about this position is being able to help a person who is in need of home support, who is either at risk or can not support their daily tasks on their own.
Pros
working 46+ hours per week
Poor management
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 October 2016
short staffed always poor management unorganized
overworked poor work life balance
co-workers didn't work as a team
very disorganized
Awful!!!!!!!!!!
Csw (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON5 August 2016
Working with this company made me feel like I didnt have a life. I was working 12 hours every day with only 4 days off a month. There's no time to do personal errands or anything. If I needed time off I was always told "sorry we are short staffed" I was also made to work extra hours beyond my availability and when I asked about it, I was told we are short staffed we need the workers. It's a bad company to work for. They don't give you any time and they book you right up between 10-12 hours every day and don't ask you if you wanna work more then 8 hours, they tell you that you will be working in one geographical area and then when you start they send you EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere!!! They also tell you that you will not being driving for more then 30 minutes unless you agree to it, that's a lie!! They also never give you enough time to drive from one place to the next!! For a 25 minute drive (on a really good day) they give you 15 minutes to drive to the next place. There's never anytime to eat a lunch as you are always rushing to get somewhere due to lack of timing allowed between clients. Awful company!! They don't care about their workers at all!!!! Do not work for them!
Pros
Money (when they properly pay you), amazing clients, driving between clients
Cons
Long hours, don't pay you properly, not enough time to drive between clients
Horrible!!!
Management (Former Employee) –  Ontario21 August 2016
The merging of the Red Cross with Carepartners was a huge mistake! Carepartners does not reflect the principals of the Canadian Red Cross. In fact quite the opposite. The current owner and senior management have no compassion for staff or patients. Management bully both internal and field staff. Would not want this organization looking after my loved one.
Cons
No worklife balance and harass staff at all levels
Care partners
Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 November 2016
Will work with your schedule, allows for sick time. Management excellent. Able to get help in an instant. The work schedule was accommodating.
Pros
Support
Cons
Long drive
Great Job
nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON10 June 2016
Supportive management team, good co workers. Flexible hours, Love helping patients, flexible scheduling, decent wage.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
time management, expectations
fun and down to earth place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 May 2015
CarePartners is a fast paced friendly environment to work in. It is very multicultural. Management and co-workers are very easy to work with. Hours are flexible. The hardest part of the job would be hearing that a long time patient that passed away. Most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with patients on a daily basis and knowing they were receiving the services they need in order to remain in their home, instead of being placed in a nursing home.
Pros
hours are great, and good benefits
Cons
salary could be more competitive
Rewarding job
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON23 May 2016
Every day was a rewarding, being with people in need, and being able to provide loving care, as well as looking after staff.
A smile says more than one thousand words. I truly enjoyed my job. Coworkers were excellent.
The hardest part of the job was the traveling, especially in the winter time on snowy and icy roads.
I have learned and bettered myself with the french language, because the services were mainly in french.

Loved every minute of it! Too, bad due to budget cuts, 4 Supervisors were let go, one of them was mine.
WORSE company to work with
RPN (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 April 2016
The manager that hired me was horrible. I did not receive proper training that I have asked for. The manager did not give me access to nursing supplies such as hand sanitizers & gloves. I've worked there for 4 months and emailed multiple staff on a continuous basis asking for a device to track my patients/hours/pay-stubs, and they continued to disregard my requests and concerns.

Half a year later to this day, it's the same problem - I am calling them daily to obtain my T4, and again there is no response.
Pros
The patients that you meet are lovely, but not the company itself.
Cons
Poor communication, unorganized
Over worked and underpaid
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 January 2015
This company has no respect for the hard work of their employees. There is a tremendous amount of work place harassment and a huge lack of support from managment. The pay for what you are responsible for is not worth it. You work an awful lot out side of office hours with no compensation , your hard work goes unrecognized , and you are more than micromanaged. You are the messenger of bad news to the psw's , the sdc team are always undertrained resulting in a constant / high turn over rate. The company is managed poorly and the majority of their employees end up on a sick leave or quitting. I highly recommend not applying to work for carepartners.
Pros
Paid mileage
Cons
Poor Management
very stressfull job with no garanties of hours
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 June 2013
I love what I do it gives great satisfaction to help people in need, although it is very hard to work for a company with no guaranties of hours even if you have seniority, there is no pension and it takes a long time to have benefits. If you want to work for the RCCP you will need another job unless you can afford to work part time hours, another thing is you have to give a 45hr a week of your availability but they don't pay overtime and they don't even give you a 40hr week of work. A typical day will be you start at 7am have 3hr gap then go work for another 2hr have another 2hr gap and go work another 2hr, so you are out of your house for 12hr to 13hr but only get payed for 6hr of work.
Pros
no punch clocks
Cons
travelling in any type of weather conditions
Overwored/Underpaid!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Peterborough2 January 2015
Former employee - This job over works their employees! Expect to work 10-12hrs a day any only get an 6-8 hour pay cheque. In order to receive a full time pay you will work min 60hrs a week.
The turn over with this company is VERY high mostly due to employee burn out which is why no employee benefits are paid until after one year!!
No advancement in this company - dead end job!
If you have no life or family this job is for you!
Pros
The Clients only!
Cons
clients are amazing! poor supervisors and scheduling
7 yr psw (Current Employee) –  sarnia10 August 2013
The truth behind red cross...you must have a large gap of availability..12-14 hrs just so you can get clients.. you will not work these 12 hrs you might get 6 if you're lucky! ! Even if you have seniority you do not get your hrs. You will not get paid properly for your kms. The scheduling departmant is a complete joke, you can expect to be double booked or not have your clts contacted when THEY have made a change to your clts and yours schedule. They lie about contacting your clts. But mostly you will need a 2nd job benifits are terrible as well as pay! Run, run far away!
Pros
easy work, friendly clients
Cons
long availability, terrible hrs, intimidating bosses, poor schedulers
Terrible Working Conditions, and Terrible Management!
PSW (Current Employee) –  Ontario14 November 2013
Terrible Everything! Must be available for 10 to 12 hours daily to get paid for 6 to 8 hours. In rural areas you are made to drive extended periods to visit clients, with poor compensation for mileage. Extremely poor support from management, can never contact them on the phone, must continuosly leave messages, and they will answer you by leaving you a message, so there is no confrontation. Schedules are changed hourly, and they lie to their clients, or won't even phone them to let them know that the Care Giver is going to be coming at a different scheduled time then they were told. Always hiring new PSW's, because they can't keep anyone due to working conditions, and extremely low pay! They bully employee's! Intimidate employee's! Constant grievances by employee's! Expect employee's to follow "Protocol" when managemnet doesn't! If you need a job so bad, that you need to "Sell Your Soul To The Devil", then go and apply at Red Cross Care Partners, living in poverty would be better!
Pros
Love the clients I visit daily, makes me feel good knowing I am helping someone in need!
Cons
Terrbile Workiing Condidtions!

2.6