CarePartners

CarePartners Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Exciting and interesting place to work, but with lots of aggravations.
Visiting Nurse (Current Employee), Waterloo, ON- Visiting in Cambridge ONJune 20, 2013
Pros: flexibility, independence, no night shifts, great relationships with clients
Cons: isolation, unpredictable hours and pay, on call responsibilities.
I work with an absolutely fantastic team of nurses for a manager who really cares about enabling us to do our job. The company has great resources in wound care education and advertises upcoming educational opportunities. There is also a small financial support for pursuing education. Seeing client's in their homes creates an opportunity to build very fulfilling and effective therapeutic relationships and allows you to really focus on the needs of the client currently being seen. The clients are all very different, so it provides a great deal of variety and constant learning.

A typical day at work involves seeing 5-13 clients in their homes spread across the town. Several of the clients are typically chronic or acute wound care. These range from post surgical wounds to diabetic foot ulcers, venous or arterial leg ulcers, slow healing traumatic wounds, or even a few of un-known origins. Other clients may be on service for antibiotic therapy for infection, or teaching for diabetics or clients with new ostomies. There is never a dull day. Seeing the clients includes meeting them in their homes and actually doing their treatment plan, ordering supplies, communicating with their case manager, doctor, or pharmacist as appropriate, and communicating with the team assistant about any changes that may occur.

The problem with this company, and this industry, is that there is no consistency with hours or pay, and we are required to be on-call for 24hrs a day, 1 day each week, and for the weekend one weekend in 4. This can create very, very long hours, and a lot of stress. When on call, – more... typically it involves forwarding messages after hours to clients who call in. The on call nurse is also responsible for any emergency visits that may happen after hours. This may include a leaking negative pressure dressing, a blocked catheter, a malfunctioning IV pump, or a symptom emergency in the Oncology or Palliative client. It is very unpredictable and quite stressful at times. – less
The nursing part of the job is great.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee), oshawa, ONSeptember 24, 2014
A typical work day with this company. It always starts the night before you work at home. Starting at 8pm, look up the client`s names you will be seeing. Organize your day, with times of visits then call each client to let them know what time you will be there the next day.
Morning, wake up, get ready and drive to Whitby. Once at the first clients house record your km. Drive to each client and provide nursing care. Once done I must wait in Whitby as more clients may be added to my list and I have to be available. If its Tuesday or Friday or a weekend I am then On call from 430pm until 830 am. This means I may have to see a bunch more clients. For example I had a client added to my list the other day, he was added at 4 pm but was to be seen at 9pm. This meant I had to work from 830 am until 430 pm then sit around and wait until 9pm then go see the client which took almost two hours for which I earned a total of 18$. Then I went home but can`t sleep because I was on call and get calls all night. On weekends I don`t get to sleep at all because I work 830 to 430 and am on call from 430 until 830 in am. Then I work the same over the next four days. Like I said the part where I am a nurse is nice. Oh I forgot to mention the two hours of paper work and phone calls you do at home for no pay after each work day, also we only get 5$ for being on call. Even when we answer calls all night we still get a total of 5$.
Management is bullying and rude to PSWs. Do not work here!
Community Support Worker (Former Employee), MississaugaMay 26, 2014
Pros: job experience
Cons: no respect, no job security, lack of money for driving.
The schedulers and management treat workers like garbage. They are bullying and keep bothering you to work hours that are not in your schedule with large gaps between clients Or they work you straight without any breaks - no lunch most days or any breaks and do not give you traveling time between clients so you end up rushing so you can make it to your next client and no time to eat or use the bathroom. They break employment laws.

They have a condescending attitude towards workers and treat you like you are children.

I am completely shocked by this agency. Other agencies are better and so many PSWs I've met quit Red Cross Care Partners to work for other agencies and gave up the benefits just to get the out. They have no respect for workers and they all have this smiling serpent like attitude. You'll find out.

The gas they pay you doesn't amount to much. You pay $400 a month in gas and they reimburse you $160 a month. You are working for 8 hours and get paid for 5 because of the driving around. What is worse is they try to get you to work days and then come back for one or two hours at night!

They schedulers and management have no conscience about booking you without any breaks or and give you no driving time even though they have breaks. These people are inhumane and uncivilized.
Terrible Working Conditions, and Terrible Management!
PSW (Current Employee), OntarioNovember 14, 2013
Pros: love the clients i visit daily, makes me feel good knowing i am helping someone in need!
Cons: terrbile workiing condidtions!
Terrible Everything! Must be available for 10 to 12 hours daily to get paid for 6 to 8 hours. In rural areas you are made to drive extended periods to visit clients, with poor compensation for mileage. Extremely poor support from management, can never contact them on the phone, must continuosly leave messages, and they will answer you by leaving you a message, so there is no confrontation. Schedules are changed hourly, and they lie to their clients, or won't even phone them to let them know that the Care Giver is going to be coming at a different scheduled time then they were told. Always hiring new PSW's, because they can't keep anyone due to working conditions, and extremely low pay! They bully employee's! Intimidate employee's! Constant grievances by employee's! Expect employee's to follow "Protocol" when managemnet doesn't! If you need a job so bad, that you need to "Sell Your Soul To The Devil", then go and apply at Red Cross Care Partners, living in poverty would be better!
Rewarding but tiring job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Guelph, ONMay 25, 2014
Pros: interacting with and helping people
Cons: long hours and physical demands
A typical day would include an early start at between 6:00 AM and 7:00AM at the home of my first client of the day. I would have to provide my own transportation at my own cost. The first client could vary from day to day and therefore the distance traveled and time would also vary. Most clients are entitled to a visit anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour (typically). During the visit (depending on the time allowed and what duties are approved) I would assist the client with personal hygiene, meal preparation, safe ambulation, dressing, confirmation that medication had been taken, light housekeeping. I would then travel to the next client and perform similar duties as required for typically an 8 hour day which also includes evenings and weekends (every second). This job requires good work ethic and the ability to work without direct supervision as well as the ability to manage your own time effectively. The best part of the job is meeting and interacting with a variety of people and knowing that what I do helps them. The hardest part of the job for me is now the physicality aspect and the long hours which leaves me little time or energy for a personal life.
Fast paced work place
Client Services Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 6, 2014
Pros: the chance to work overtime
Cons: constant payroll issues
On a day to day basis, my main job was to schedule personal support workers to ensure that our clients needs were being met. The job came with some challenges the hardest one being the lack of personnel to handle the amount of clients we had. Sometimes, the geographic areas were cause for some problems; like for instance if the weather conditions were in a bad state, it made it impossible for our workers to arrive at our clients home.

Although stressful, this job also had its rewards and made you feel like you were contributing to something good. I personally got the opportunity to speak with clients who were so appreciative of the help they got. Even though they were quite ill, they still found some reason everyday to smile and be thankful. It gave you a different outlook on life.

The hardest part of the job, was having to tell a client that they didn't qualify for a certain service. This part would leave me feeling sad and wishing I could do more to help.
It started out as a good company
RN (Former Employee), Southwest Middlesex, ONNovember 7, 2015
Pros: clients
CarePartners started out as a good company with a admirable philosophy but as it grew it became a corporation with little concern for the front line employee. The pay per visit and on call life do not give you work life balance. Management count on your good graces to ensure that the pay remains lower than any other nursing employer. The management is top heavy and the money spent could be better served with paying the front line nurse a competitive hourly wage. There are nurses that are due thousands of dollars in unpaid overtime, not aware it's owed to them.
The HNHB divisions have been on strike since April asking mainly for an hourly wage, sick pay and overtime pay for hours worked. CarePartners never negotiated a contract in spite of having a union in those divisions for 2 years.
I would not encourage a nurse to work there.
poor management
psw (Current Employee), Belleville, ONNovember 7, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: limited hours. expect miracles
Previously known as red cross. At that time excellent company to work for. Since takeover by care partners half staff has quit. Poor management , inconsiderate of staff., demanding, expect the impossible, unfriendly towards staff. No meeting together. No Christmas get together., no nothing. Changes made in management constantly and we are not even notified. We are not introduced to new management so in reality we don't even know who is in charge. Can't keep supervisors making psw jobs more difficult. No concern for their staff or injuries on the job. Not a caring agency considering their role as supplying care. Management gets good pay. Employees have not had a raise in 6 years. All about profit. Not recommended as source of employment unless desperate for work.
Unprofessional Managment
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONAugust 13, 2015
I showed up everyday and did an amazing job, completed all my tasks on time, went above and beyond to help others. Great coworkers, not a lot of job security. I was there on a one year contract as a Billing Coordinator and let go after 3 months. They say it was "due to lack of work", but I know it was because the Finance Manger had issues with me since they let no one else go, and have an ad up for my job not 2 months later. She could never be nice to me, and constantly belittled and alienated me. She would either make a rude remark or ignore me totally. It's too bad because I loved the other people there and the work and the work environment. She made it cold and icy when she was around.
very stressfull job with no garanties of hours
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJune 13, 2013
Pros: no punch clocks
Cons: travelling in any type of weather conditions
I love what I do it gives great satisfaction to help people in need, although it is very hard to work for a company with no guaranties of hours even if you have seniority, there is no pension and it takes a long time to have benefits. If you want to work for the RCCP you will need another job unless you can afford to work part time hours, another thing is you have to give a 45hr a week of your availability but they don't pay overtime and they don't even give you a 40hr week of work. A typical day will be you start at 7am have 3hr gap then go work for another 2hr have another 2hr gap and go work another 2hr, so you are out of your house for 12hr to 13hr but only get payed for 6hr of work.
Very fast paced, manages multiple tasks at once, ability to prioritize.
Client Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 7, 2015
Provides patient and Community Service Worker (CSW) service delivery on a daily basis
-Receives & processes routine referral/intake information from Funders and private-pay clients
-Develops and maintains client and CSW service schedule
-Informs CSW’s of assignments and changes to their schedules.
-Enters all relevant client and CSW information into the automated information system including live data, recorded information, service hour changes and adjustments to hours worked for billing and payroll purposes
-Inputs and adjusts schedule to reflect correct number of Sick days, leave of absences, Medical leaves, Bereavement, Vacations and mandated days off for HR billing
-Produces schedules and reports on regular basis, and on request of the Supervisor.
-Communicates/reports as required regarding client and CSW status.
clients are amazing! poor supervisors and scheduling
7 yr psw (Current Employee), sarniaAugust 10, 2013
Pros: easy work, friendly clients
Cons: long availability, terrible hrs, intimidating bosses, poor schedulers
The truth behind red cross...you must have a large gap of availability..12-14 hrs just so you can get clients.. you will not work these 12 hrs you might get 6 if you're lucky! ! Even if you have seniority you do not get your hrs. You will not get paid properly for your kms. The scheduling departmant is a complete joke, you can expect to be double booked or not have your clts contacted when THEY have made a change to your clts and yours schedule. They lie about contacting your clts. But mostly you will need a 2nd job benifits are terrible as well as pay! Run, run far away!
Over worked and underpaid
Supervisor (Former Employee), OntarioJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: paid mileage
Cons: poor management
This company has no respect for the hard work of their employees. There is a tremendous amount of work place harassment and a huge lack of support from managment. The pay for what you are responsible for is not worth it. You work an awful lot out side of office hours with no compensation , your hard work goes unrecognized , and you are more than micromanaged. You are the messenger of bad news to the psw's , the sdc team are always undertrained resulting in a constant / high turn over rate. The company is managed poorly and the majority of their employees end up on a sick leave or quitting. I highly recommend not applying to work for carepartners.
worse home care company
csw /administration(mod duties) (Current Employee), BarrieFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: our clients
Cons: management, staff, pay
If you enjoy not having a balanced life this job is for you. If you like to work in an environment that changes daily with company policies as there reg managers sees fit this job is for you. If you enjoy not having the same person answer your scheduling calls this job is for you. They have a high turn over for a reason in every department. Check your pay stubs too pay is never right.

enjoy being bullied at work and fyi they have modified workers rate them on this site to up there average trust me I might have been one.
Love this company!
Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great manegement, good teamwork, comfortable office
Cons: payroll is not always correct, lack of a punch clock
I have been working at CarePartners for over a year now and I absolutly love this company. I feel very comfortable with the staff. I am a part time SDC and I get along with both the p/t staff as well as the full time staff. Hours are great, management is very flexible with accommodating my school schedule while allowing me to work on the weekends and evenings when I don't have class. Very helpful and awesome team leads who help you stay focused and on-track.
Expect to work Miracles , understaffed and overworked
Health Care Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee), St.CatharinesMay 9, 2015
Pros: Great office staff and team work
Cons: asking impossible things from employees
current labor dispute has caused complete chaos among the employees . Half have left and found stable work and the other half are fighting against things that will never ever be implemented and Carepartners will stall them all out eventually . It's sad , the company in the Niagara region will fold up and I'm not holding my breath at a resolution , either way , Im grateful as it forced me to seek out a new job that rocks .
Poor employer
Community visiting and clinic nurse (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: The client appreciate you.
Cons: Long hours, bullying, lack of support from management
I worked with the company and there is no support for the staff. There is currently a labour dispute.
Home life and work life don't mix. I was fortunate to have no family at home. If I had children, this isn't the job.
The management bullies it staff. There is a huge turnover in staff.
The pay is horrible. Much below current rates for RN's and RPN's.
Once the labour dispute ( strike ) is over, you will or not have a job, as people are leaving the employer.

The best thing about the work, is the clients appreciate you on the whole.
Worse Place I have every worked
PSW (Former Employee), niagaraNovember 12, 2014
Pros: closeness with clients
Cons: bullied by management
They are 'CARE PARTNERS' not 'RED CROSS CARE PARTNERS' they are a group of liers.
Management is a bunch of bullies.....changing the rules to suit their needs.
They file 'REFUSAL TO WORK' if your vehicle breaks down and you call in to inform the supervisor of your situation. Due to not having permission from your supervisor to have an LOA day....what a joke!
Taking away clients whenever they want. Large gaps in time. Have to be available from 6am to 6pm in hopes to get a 5 hr day.
I could go on and on.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 15, 2015
Pros: Supportive work environment, wonderful team of professionals, management supportive
Cons: None
Having recently joined CarePartners, my decision to do so was the right one for me. This company has a very supportive work environment~ very open and honest in their approach. Prior to joining CarePartners, I had reviewed some of the overall ratings and can say, with confidence, that my experience has been nothing less than positive. I have finally found a role that I don't consider to be "just a job", but a role that I love to do everyday......and that is what makes all the difference.
Excellent and rewarding Nursing experience
Nurse (Current Employee), OntarioJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: 24hr support and excellent resources
I serviced clients in their home worked independently and felt very much appreciated by the clients. It's hard work but very rewarding. This job is demanding but also very flexible I enjoyed being out in the fresh air rather than being cooped up in an institution for 8-12hrs. This job has it's challenges as any other. There is 24hr support, excellent resources and great opportunities to use and enhance all nursing skills now as a manager I am hopefully going to pass on my passion for community nursing to the next generation of community nurses.