Reference Number: ICH14-IND-001
Location: Ottawa - Downtown
The Client Care Worker (CCW) provides personal care, medication assistance and support to homeless clients in specialized units within five downtown shelters and two facilities in the west end within the framework of Carefor policies, procedures, standards and quality & risk management. The CCW Collaborates with all members of the health care team to meeting the needs of individuals and attain an optimal level of independence and well being.
Carefor is committed to providing quality care to its clients twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. In order to accomplish this, you will be expected to be available to work a minimum of 16 hours per week and every second (2nd) weekend, but you are permitted to work up to forty (40) hours per week. You will be asked to provide service during day, evening or overnight hours.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Provides personal care, which includes assistance with all aspects of activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming, transferring, incontinent care, walking and eating
- Provides bedside care where required
- Recognizes the social and emotional needs of clients and deals with them effectively
- Sets priorities for personal support and other activities to effectively utilize time, energy, supplies and equipment
- Clean spills on the Unit floors and surfaces and basic cleaning of the bathroom after care
- Washes, folds and puts away clients' laundry
- Assists clients to keep their rooms clean and tidy and making beds
- Monitors and maintains client safety
- Performs delegated tasks under the supervision of the registered staff (RN, RPN); including medication assistance to clients and signs for medications given
- Makes appointments for clients and accompanies them when necessary
- Carries out client care plans and other directives within the role of unregulated care provider
- Follows established policies and procedures
- Treats clients with dignity and respect
- Uses standard infection control measures correctly, including universal precautions
- Encourages and promotes client independence
- Uses interpersonal skills to build caring/helping relationships with clients
- Acts as a team player, communicating effectively with all team members
- Certificate in Personal Support Worker, Developmental Service Worker, Home Support Worker (Level I, II, III), or Health Care Aid
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR level C Certificate
- Household management experience
- Crisis Intervention training an asset
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Ability to take direction well
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in Palliative Care an asset
- Experience working with the homeless population an asset
- Experience working with mentally ill clients and/or substance abusers an asset
- Bilingual (French/English) an asset
Posting will remain open until all vacancies are filled.
To apply for this position please visit www.carefor.ca.
Please indicate on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.
To learn more about Carefor's integral role in the community visit www.carefor.ca.