Project and Systems Design Manager
Our Burlington based client is a world leader in applied machine vision engineering and technology. The team of highly skilled engineers, researchers and developers designs and builds innovative automatic vision inspection solutions for a number of industrial uses including, welding, tube and pipe, print inspection and other demanding quality control devices. Corporate values embrace leading edge engineering skills and processes combined with customer focus, innovation and quality.
This key role provides strong project and design management to manage multiple product development initiatives in engineering and research coupled with responsibility for the planning, development and coordination of all aspects of the assigned projects. In addition this role monitors deliverables of each team to ensure successful delivery that is on time, on budget and within scope. Reporting to the company President and Engineering Director you will be part of the senior management team.
The Project and Systems Design Manager must have strong communication skills to interact effectively with a team of optical, electronic, mechanical and software engineers on a regular basis. Working closely with clients is required to provide regular updates on the status of technology , manage customers’ expectations, and be the main communication link between our technical staff and the customer. As an engineer you will provide technical design input, direction, evaluation and validation, and potentially also from time-to-time be active in design assistance to the team as appropriate.
Key Project Management Responsibilities:
- Ensures the technology gets developed on time and in budget.
- Ensures completion of new product design, including Verification, Test Procedures, Technical Documentation, Manufacturing Specifications, Operations and Installation Manuals.
- Leads the process of increasing value in Xiris’ product enhancing performance and features to products, while championing cost reduction strategies.
- Provides focus and discipline to our systems development efforts by creating and enforcing Best Practices Engineering and Change Management Process through policies and procedures such as:
New Product Release process and Engineering Change Requests
Documentation Standards and Cost Benefit Analyses
Test processes for all development efforts
- Ensures compliance to all relevant Regulatory Standards and maintenance of required technical files
- Acts as Project Lead for New Product Development project, as assigned by the Engineering Manager, leading a multi discipline team of professionals.
- Leads multidisciplinary in-house and consulting projects from initiation through to completion. Responsible for project and product specifications, statements of work, development of work breakdown structure, budgets, project management plans, resource allocation plans, ongoing project management, change management and scope control.
- Interfaces with internal and external customers, ensuring effective communication.
- Identifies uncertainties and mitigates risk.
- Drives the engineering/technology process for system development, ensuring that products are reliable, meet / exceed client’s expectations, and projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Ensures sound Engineering principles are implemented in the product development process.
- Provides the primary interface between the project team and the purchasing department for purchases of project-related supplies, materials, components, equipment, etc.
- Contributes to strategic direction for the company’s systems research and development efforts.
- Ensures the appropriate communication of R&D opportunities to the management team and proactively initiates business case/analysis of proposed initiatives.
- Directs sub-contractors, maintaining rigorous cost / technical control on all projects.
- Provides mentoring and support to team members, ensuring that their roles and responsibilities are understood.
- Supports Sales in managing solid ongoing client relationships, including visiting the client with Sales staff.
Key Systems Design Responsibilities:
- Helps sourcing electronic, optics and mechanical components used in systems; Interfaces with OEMs and vendors to ensure compatibility with OEM’s equipment with Xiris equipment.
- Maintains BOM information
- Oversees and ensures compliance with Electrical Code and requirements for safety certification such as CSA, CE, or TUV mark; Supports field service technicians in troubleshooting and solving technical issues.
- Aids Operations in building strategic alliances with vendors/technology partners, helping identify reliable sources.
- Assists in design verification, developing Test Procedures, Technical Documentation, Manufacturing Specifications, Operations and Installation Manuals.
A degree in Optics, Mechanical, Electronics or Systems Engineering combined with Project Management and leadership courses or related work experience.
At least 7-10 years’ experience in product development, including at least 2 years hands-on system engineering experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial environment. A proven track record of working within a highly successful multi-disciplinary project team involved in R&D, design and production initiatives.
- Proven capability to understand optics, mechanical, electrical and software concepts.
- Broad technical expertise in the product development life cycle.
- Computer literate with Internet, Office automation and CAD software packages
- Highly detail oriented to ensure that design specifications are applied as intended, that sufficient documentation is provided and that issues are resolved effectively.
- Project Management skills in order to effectively lead and control multiple technical projects, to consistently and reliably deliver solutions within budget and tight timelines, meeting customer’s expectations.
- Strong participation as a team member as well as working independently; Highly energetic and confident to convey a positive and professional attitude and demeanour in all interactions with others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; Highly effective in formulating and communicating concepts, ideas, strategy to internal / external parties.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and industry competitive. Company has full range of benefits.
We thank all applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 9 months ago