Cool Developers work with XBRL. Yes, it sounds like the name of a German sports car. In actuality, XBRL stands for eXtensible Business Reporting Language and it’s used for electronic communication and reporting of financial data around the world. If you think the sports car sounds sexier, consider that XBRL is starting a revolution around the world in terms of business reporting. Many countries are using XBRL and the number of countries and implementations are spreading rapidly. If being part of a revolution sounds like your thing, read on.
Our client develops software for XBRL financial reporting. Their software brings tremendous value in the areas of regulatory compliance, accessibility and transparency of information, cost savings and gains in efficiency. Because data is being elevated in reliability and accuracy, organizations also benefit from better information with which to guide decision making.
Our client is a small software company that is very established and stable. It’s a place that where talented individuals flourish; you get to showcase your skills and avoid getting lost in a large organization.
We have an opportunity for a Software Developer with significant experience in Swing to join their development team. As a member of a smaller development team, you benefit! Functions do not get segregated into narrow silos the way they do in behemoth-type teams, allowing you to use the full breadth of your skills. They haven’t heard of “bureaucracy” or “red tape”, and if you’re the right one, that will be music to your ears.
The development group has a high degree of autonomy in selecting the right technologies for the job, and they sustain an exhilarating pace of delivery - from new products, enhancements to existing products, UI improvements, to bug fixes. The flexibility of the organization affords the opportunity for your role to be dynamic and expansive, increasing your expertise and competence. If you want to travel on occasion and gain client facing experience, that is an option. Locales that have been visited most recently include Seychelles, Bali, Dubai, and the UK. Travel isn’t for everyone though, so if it’s not something you wish to do, it is not a requirement.
Most of the company’s products have a centralized business model implemented with POJOs, on top of which is layered both a Swing user interface and a web user interface. The web UIs are based on modern technologies such as JAX-RS, jQuery, and HTML 5.
The company provides competitive compensation, vacation, benefits package and a refreshing bonus structure.
- Understand business requirements and overall product architecture
- Provide estimates of effort for implementing sets of new business requirements
- Design, implement, unit test, and document assigned components of the product and integrate with components developed by other team members
- Create proofs of concept (PoCs) to validate design assumptions and choice of technology
- Participate in Software Development process improvement activities including weekly status meetings
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in the Java ecosystem
- 5+ years solid hands-on experience with Java development - specific experience with Swing and Servlet-based technologies
- Solid OOP design and analysis skills
- Ability to define and analyze needs, identify risks and alternatives, propose solutions and consistently meet required deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for learning!
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS (Oracle, preferred, but not limited to) and SQL (PL/SQL nice to have)
- Good understanding of XML and related technologies: XPath, XQuery, XSLT
- Understanding of Application Servers (Tomcat, JBoss, Weblogic)
- Nice to have's: JUnit, SVN, Portlet API (JSR 168/268), Spring