Cara Employee Reviews

Insulting to the Culinary and Hospitality Field
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON10 August 2017
After nearly 20 years and only 15 with CARA, the company has attempted to simplify everything for any individual to learn how to cheat, not follow recipes to proper specifications, to lie and cheat Food Handiling policies and procedures. There used to be a time where The Chefs were completing Store audits before The Health Board would come in, to ensure all staff were following policies and procedures.
Now that Cara has full control, franchisees who are never in their own store to and have Young Management teams that seem to worry about being friends with their staff instead of being a proper Manager.

Kitchen Staff are now whiney Millennials who feel threatened when you ask them to follow proper food handling and Cara Brand policies and procedures. Then cry to Management who they are friends with to defend their actions against you.

Cara has been insulting the Culinary and Hospitality industry by becoming lazy and inexperienced in The Food and Beverage Industry. Cara has become a profit organization that does not educate nor give you room for growth in their company due too poor Managemnet and receiving Managerial direction via Phone conferences.

Also Most Cara Brand Restaurants are the dirtiest and have equipment in the poorest conditions I have ever seen.
Pros
Tips
Cons
No room for growth for those with proper culinary experience.
Not a Fun Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 July 2017
The interview experience is definitely different than what you will experience when you begin the job. The culture is very tense, and Management staff are unfriendly and have high expectations. All they care about is how many calls are answered. You can call in sick, and they'll expect you to come to work same way so that the call que doesn't get messed up. A lot of drama with the staff, who are also unfriendly. Definitely would not recommend to anyone.
Cons
Shifts, Staff, Culture, Customers
I work for Cara service desk, Large organization lost in transition
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2017
I am trying my hardest to do things right by our clients but it looks like my bosses just want to give a report to corporate saying we have less than x turn around time and we handle x amount of calls with less than x wait time.

in my honest opinion this strategy will blow back on us,this approach makes people feel unappreciated and our work will be meaningless.

I will do my best to really fix client issues, I feel this is neither appreciated nor encouraged, but I fear I will eventually become another drone who mechanically takes tickets and closes them with or without resolution.
Pros
informal environment
Cons
unsatisfied clients and I feel i cant fix anything
Not a fun or positive environment
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Huntsville19 July 2017
Worked there for a few months in kitchen. It was one of the worst experiences I have had in a workplace.
Managment was not supportive . fellow kitchen staff and servers were great just not managment.
Since working there, I myself will not eat at CARA restaurants. I know what happens in the kitchen .
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Pay sucked. Attitude environment sucked
Harveys... Terrible
Cook (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 July 2017
Salary was atroatious, however schedule was flexible, you could easily get promoted but no pay raise, management was about as knowledgable as myself after a few months of being there, there was culture but the entire staff was one culture with a few white people mixed in. Would never recommend working here.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything except flexible hours
They use you
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON31 May 2017
Take advantage of you and work you like a dog the staff is horrible and filled with drama and pick on the part time kids owner is a **** don't apply here!
Great place to work & learn
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC11 May 2017
Kitchen staff is very supportive however there is always an exception wherever we work. As it was my first kitchen job so I lareaned a lot with the support of other kitchen staff but sometime I felt that the managers has less patience or arrogant even You work as per the expectations. I still don't know what Is wrong with them. Overall it's a great place to work at south surrey location.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Biased behaviour of the manager
Terrible place to work-kelseys Bowmanville
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON5 May 2017
I worked at the kelseys in Bowmanville as a hostes, worst job I have ever had. The management was disrespectful and rude, the behind the scenes in the kitchen were absolutely disgusting, how they handled the food and their attitude. Up until I quit I was told I couldnt leave my shift without kissing and inappropriately touch 2 of the other girls who worked their. They don't keep any first aid equipment in the restaurant, when an accident happens they send their hostess' to the drug store to buy the nessesary supplies. Absolutely discusting and don't ever recommend working there.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything about working there is terrible.
Harvey's/Swiss
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 April 2017
*Alright Managers. (The majority did not make me happy to be there, however the two managers that were there always made the shift more bearable)

*Decent workplace culture
*Hardest part is closing because of THAT ONE GUY WHO DECIDES TO HAVE A BURGER AT 9:55 AT NIGHT!!! WHO DOES THAT?
Pros
50% off all food.
Cons
Gives terrible hours
Unfriendly Environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2017
First part time job at New York Fries, had a not so great experience
Claimed to not tolerate drama, yet there was a lot of goasip and passive aggression amongst employees and managers.
On top of that, they were very unforgiving if mistakes were made. Limited chances to make up for that.
Older workers acted very stuck-up towards the newer employees.
Cons
Not enough hours, unfriendly environment
Friendly and Customer focused
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 November 2016
Assist customers with their technical related issues.Innovative technology tools implemented to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Co-workers are friendly and gets along well with everyone.
over worked,underpaid
Cook (Former Employee) –  landing group3 September 2016
The landing group has lost what it had before I got bought out by Cara.
now it's more about the profit, so that means less pay, and more hard work with no rewards.

The Chefs and managers have to work 60-70 hours a week. Who can have a life with that?
Pros
some good food
Cons
insulting wages
Friendly Working Enviroment
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Great place to work and great people. One always has the opportunity to change availability, and to pick up extra shifts as well as give shifts away when need-be. Management is super friendly as well. Sometimes there are some difficult customers but this comes with any Customer Service oriented job.
Pros
Shift Flexibilty
Cons
Sitting for long time periods
Great First Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 June 2016
A typical day for me was coming in at around 5PM to get ready for the dinner shift. by this time there will be one or two tables in the dining room and a few jobs for me to do before the dinner rush, like polishing windows or helping with food prep. When the dinner rush started I would either be at the door doing the seating chart, seating people, helping the servers run food, or helping in the bar. The one thing I really didn't like about the job was I never knew what time I would be done. It could be anywhere between 8PM and 1AM depending on how busy it was and who was managing that night.
Pros
half priced meals before and after shifts, free days
Cons
sometimes high stress, not a lot of hours
Flipping burgers, serving customers, running things
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON and Port Hope, ON1 June 2016
Nice job growing up that gave me a chance to earn some money during high school and after. I enjoyed working at multiple locations such as Highway 115, Oshawa, and Port Hope.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Bad customers
Hard worker
Grill Master (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 May 2016
I am currently looking to start my apprenticeship.
I have experience doing various trades, as I completed a construction co-op where I learned how to drywall, lay bricks and doing home renovations.I also worked for a home renovation company where I performed the tasks of demolition, drywall, insulation and a small bit of electrical.
I also went to fleming college for Plumbing.
I am looking to start my apprenticeship and get my career started.
I am willing to work whatever hours are needed, and I have my own vehicle so transportation wont be an issue.
A good place to grow within each brand.
MENU DEVELOPMENT & BRAND IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2016
Provided the ability to expand your knowledge throughout different departments. Working directly with the Marketing Team and Corporate Chef allowed me to expand on my abilities.
fun and productive work enviroment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON3 March 2016
work was always enjoyable
management was productive and supported staff
would recommend to others
my co workers are a close knit family
What a great place to work!!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 February 2016
A very friendly work environment that is collaborative, and team oriented. There is always something to learn, and lots going on. 20% discounts at CARA family of restaurants, room for advancement and growth. if you work hard here your hard work is recognized and rewarded and you can not ask for more than that.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
can not think of any
Cara
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2015
I was reporting to area manager for smooth opreations.Hiring a new staff and training them.Handling unhappy customers in postive way and resolve the issues ,Implementing new programes .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cara. Our community is ready to answer.