Cara Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work-kelseys Bowmanville
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON5 May 2017
I worked at the kelseys in Bowmanville as a hostes, worst job I have ever had. The management was disrespectful and rude, the behind the scenes in the kitchen were absolutely disgusting, how they handled the food and their attitude. Up until I quit I was told I couldnt leave my shift without kissing and inappropriately touch 2 of the other girls who worked their. They don't keep any first aid equipment in the restaurant, when an accident happens they send their hostess' to the drug store to buy the nessesary supplies. Absolutely discusting and don't ever recommend working there.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything about working there is terrible.
Harvey's/Swiss
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 April 2017
*Alright Managers. (The majority did not make me happy to be there, however the two managers that were there always made the shift more bearable)

*Decent workplace culture
*Hardest part is closing because of THAT ONE GUY WHO DECIDES TO HAVE A BURGER AT 9:55 AT NIGHT!!! WHO DOES THAT?
Pros
50% off all food.
Cons
Gives terrible hours
Unfriendly Environment
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2017
First part time job at New York Fries, had a not so great experience
Claimed to not tolerate drama, yet there was a lot of goasip and passive aggression amongst employees and managers.
On top of that, they were very unforgiving if mistakes were made. Limited chances to make up for that.
Older workers acted very stuck-up towards the newer employees.
Cons
Not enough hours, unfriendly environment
Friendly and Customer focused
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 November 2016
Assist customers with their technical related issues.Innovative technology tools implemented to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Co-workers are friendly and gets along well with everyone.
over worked,underpaid
Cook (Former Employee) –  landing group3 September 2016
The landing group has lost what it had before I got bought out by Cara.
now it's more about the profit, so that means less pay, and more hard work with no rewards.

The Chefs and managers have to work 60-70 hours a week. Who can have a life with that?
Pros
some good food
Cons
insulting wages
Friendly Working Enviroment
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
Great place to work and great people. One always has the opportunity to change availability, and to pick up extra shifts as well as give shifts away when need-be. Management is super friendly as well. Sometimes there are some difficult customers but this comes with any Customer Service oriented job.
Pros
Shift Flexibilty
Cons
Sitting for long time periods
Great First Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 June 2016
A typical day for me was coming in at around 5PM to get ready for the dinner shift. by this time there will be one or two tables in the dining room and a few jobs for me to do before the dinner rush, like polishing windows or helping with food prep. When the dinner rush started I would either be at the door doing the seating chart, seating people, helping the servers run food, or helping in the bar. The one thing I really didn't like about the job was I never knew what time I would be done. It could be anywhere between 8PM and 1AM depending on how busy it was and who was managing that night.
Pros
half priced meals before and after shifts, free days
Cons
sometimes high stress, not a lot of hours
Flipping burgers, serving customers, running things
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON and Port Hope, ON1 June 2016
Nice job growing up that gave me a chance to earn some money during high school and after. I enjoyed working at multiple locations such as Highway 115, Oshawa, and Port Hope.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Bad customers
Hard worker
Grill Master (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 May 2016
I am currently looking to start my apprenticeship.
I have experience doing various trades, as I completed a construction co-op where I learned how to drywall, lay bricks and doing home renovations.I also worked for a home renovation company where I performed the tasks of demolition, drywall, insulation and a small bit of electrical.
I also went to fleming college for Plumbing.
I am looking to start my apprenticeship and get my career started.
I am willing to work whatever hours are needed, and I have my own vehicle so transportation wont be an issue.
A good place to grow within each brand.
MENU DEVELOPMENT & BRAND IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2016
Provided the ability to expand your knowledge throughout different departments. Working directly with the Marketing Team and Corporate Chef allowed me to expand on my abilities.
fun and productive work enviroment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON3 March 2016
work was always enjoyable
management was productive and supported staff
would recommend to others
my co workers are a close knit family
What a great place to work!!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 February 2016
A very friendly work environment that is collaborative, and team oriented. There is always something to learn, and lots going on. 20% discounts at CARA family of restaurants, room for advancement and growth. if you work hard here your hard work is recognized and rewarded and you can not ask for more than that.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
can not think of any
Cara
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2015
I was reporting to area manager for smooth opreations.Hiring a new staff and training them.Handling unhappy customers in postive way and resolve the issues ,Implementing new programes .
Cara is a great place to work.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON26 September 2015
Cara takes time to develop their associates, and train for the role that you hold. It is a structured environment, that maintains accountability at each level of the business.
Benefits
Cons
50-60 hour work weeks.
Great place to develop basic skills
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 September 2015
Decent workplace environment, much to learn as a new worker in the job market. Supportive coworkers and management. Busy shifts go by fast but can be stressful and hectic at times.
Pros
Free drinks and meal discounts
Cons
Hectic dinner rushes
Good place to work ( Airport division )
Scissor Lift Truck Driver / DZ (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2015
Cara was a great place to work.
It is a fast paced environment which keeps you on your toes but makes the day go fast. Fairly physical at times but a good way to stay in shape. Hours can be long and if shift switches may take getting used to but pay is excellent. Benefits are good and upper management is easy to work with. VERY strict with safety and regulations pertaining to Airport security, you will have to go through various police checks and security clearances.
Overall a excellent place to work.
Typical Work day
SWISS CHALET RESTAURANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 October 2014
As a manager I have a big responsibility when entering the work environment on a daily basis.

Since the restaurant industry is quite busy, I have learned to work under pressure, to multi-task, and to deal with many different situations and customers needs.

I work with many of my close friends and therefore I have learned to set aside my work with my friendship with others. Moreover, since I am a manager, I need to coach and regulate my co-workers which are indeed my friends.

The hardest part of my job would simply be the hours. I have worked in the restaurant industry for approximately 7 years and I was obligated to get used to working weekends, holidays, and night shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the excitement happening every shift. Everyone works as a team and prepares for busy nights. I enjoy working with others and meeting new people and pleasing customers.
Pros
Always something to do. Exciting.
Cons
Long hours. Working Weekends and nights.
Application Support Engineer
Sr. Application Developer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2014
nice working place and good salary. but sometime nee overtime
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stouffiville On8 September 2014
It was a fast paced environment and it was a good learning experience working with customers and the management.
If you think customers take their problems out on you, try the manager.
Counter-Staff (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 June 2014
I started at Harvey's over a year ago, started off fine until they stopped my training midway through and the GM tried to bribe me with a reference letter to quit. At this point other supervisors told me I was doing fine or more than capable.

Through my academic year I would always call in sick on the days the GM was working, call me immature but I've worked in a variety of settings, and never once have I ever felt worthless, or anxious going to work. As a lefty, my GM also believes that I need to "write like a human being". This was taken to HR, in which they understood, however the RAM told me to quit at the expense of the GM's poor managerial skills.

The job is alright, a bit better than other franchises, the people I work with are fantastic, and getting hours is like being in the Hunger Games.(Favoritism)

Sincerely, an employee who can't even get 19-21 hours or request for them without having them cut because the GM actually "thinks it's funny to hear me ask for more".
Pros
Free food, good people to work with, close to home
Cons
Abysmal management, heat

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cara. Our community is ready to answer.