Cara Employee Reviews

over worked,underpaid
Cook (Former Employee) –  landing groupSeptember 3, 2016
The landing group has lost what it had before I got bought out by Cara.
now it's more about the profit, so that means less pay, and more hard work with no rewards.

The Chefs and managers have to work 60-70 hours a week. Who can have a life with that?
Pros
some good food
Cons
insulting wages
Great First Job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 2, 2016
A typical day for me was coming in at around 5PM to get ready for the dinner shift. by this time there will be one or two tables in the dining room and a few jobs for me to do before the dinner rush, like polishing windows or helping with food prep. When the dinner rush started I would either be at the door doing the seating chart, seating people, helping the servers run food, or helping in the bar. The one thing I really didn't like about the job was I never knew what time I would be done. It could be anywhere between 8PM and 1AM depending on how busy it was and who was managing that night.
Pros
half priced meals before and after shifts, free days
Cons
sometimes high stress, not a lot of hours
Flipping burgers, serving customers, running things
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON and Port Hope, ONJune 1, 2016
Nice job growing up that gave me a chance to earn some money during high school and after. I enjoyed working at multiple locations such as Highway 115, Oshawa, and Port Hope.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Bad customers
Hard worker
Grill Master (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 16, 2016
I am currently looking to start my apprenticeship.
I have experience doing various trades, as I completed a construction co-op where I learned how to drywall, lay bricks and doing home renovations.I also worked for a home renovation company where I performed the tasks of demolition, drywall, insulation and a small bit of electrical.
I also went to fleming college for Plumbing.
I am looking to start my apprenticeship and get my career started.
I am willing to work whatever hours are needed, and I have my own vehicle so transportation wont be an issue.
A good place to grow within each brand.
MENU DEVELOPMENT & BRAND IMPLEMENTATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 7, 2016
Provided the ability to expand your knowledge throughout different departments. Working directly with the Marketing Team and Corporate Chef allowed me to expand on my abilities.
fun and productive work enviroment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  GTA, ONMarch 3, 2016
work was always enjoyable
management was productive and supported staff
would recommend to others
my co workers are a close knit family
What a great place to work!!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 23, 2016
A very friendly work environment that is collaborative, and team oriented. There is always something to learn, and lots going on. 20% discounts at CARA family of restaurants, room for advancement and growth. if you work hard here your hard work is recognized and rewarded and you can not ask for more than that.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
can not think of any
CARA
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 9, 2015
I was reporting to area manager for smooth opreations.Hiring a new staff and training them.Handling unhappy customers in postive way and resolve the issues ,Implementing new programes .
Cara is a great place to work.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Cara takes time to develop their associates, and train for the role that you hold. It is a structured environment, that maintains accountability at each level of the business.
Benefits
Cons
50-60 hour work weeks.
Great place to develop basic skills
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Decent workplace environment, much to learn as a new worker in the job market. Supportive coworkers and management. Busy shifts go by fast but can be stressful and hectic at times.
Pros
Free drinks and meal discounts
Cons
Hectic dinner rushes
Good place to work ( Airport division )
Scissor Lift Truck Driver / DZ (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 6, 2015
Cara was a great place to work.
It is a fast paced environment which keeps you on your toes but makes the day go fast. Fairly physical at times but a good way to stay in shape. Hours can be long and if shift switches may take getting used to but pay is excellent. Benefits are good and upper management is easy to work with. VERY strict with safety and regulations pertaining to Airport security, you will have to go through various police checks and security clearances.
Overall a excellent place to work.
Typical Work day
SWISS CHALET RESTAURANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2014
As a manager I have a big responsibility when entering the work environment on a daily basis.

Since the restaurant industry is quite busy, I have learned to work under pressure, to multi-task, and to deal with many different situations and customers needs.

I work with many of my close friends and therefore I have learned to set aside my work with my friendship with others. Moreover, since I am a manager, I need to coach and regulate my co-workers which are indeed my friends.

The hardest part of my job would simply be the hours. I have worked in the restaurant industry for approximately 7 years and I was obligated to get used to working weekends, holidays, and night shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the excitement happening every shift. Everyone works as a team and prepares for busy nights. I enjoy working with others and meeting new people and pleasing customers.
Pros
always something to do. exciting.
Cons
long hours. working weekends and nights.
Application Support Engineer
Sr. Application Developer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2014
nice working place and good salary. but sometime nee overtime
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stouffiville OnSeptember 8, 2014
It was a fast paced environment and it was a good learning experience working with customers and the management.
If you think customers take their problems out on you, try the manager.
Counter-Staff (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 25, 2014
I started at Harvey's over a year ago, started off fine until they stopped my training midway through and the GM tried to bribe me with a reference letter to quit. At this point other supervisors told me I was doing fine or more than capable.

Through my academic year I would always call in sick on the days the GM was working, call me immature but I've worked in a variety of settings, and never once have I ever felt worthless, or anxious going to work. As a lefty, my GM also believes that I need to "write like a human being". This was taken to HR, in which they understood, however the RAM told me to quit at the expense of the GM's poor managerial skills.

The job is alright, a bit better than other franchises, the people I work with are fantastic, and getting hours is like being in the Hunger Games.(Favoritism)

Sincerely, an employee who can't even get 19-21 hours or request for them without having them cut because the GM actually "thinks it's funny to hear me ask for more".
Pros
free food, good people to work with, close to home
Cons
abysmal management, heat
Flexible Working Atmosphere
Home Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 7, 2014
This contractor service work is very flexible. The agent works from home at the schedule he/she defines (including contract guidelines), and gets to speak with a wealth of individuals all across Canada. All calls are recorded, for the ensurance of call compliance. However, the management are very understanding of the personal problems that can and will arrise from time to time.
Pros
flexible work at home hours
Cons
low remuneration
A life at work
Cashier/Garnisher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2013
A typical day at work would be making food for the customers, taking there orders and making sure the place is clean and in good shape. I learned to be more professional and nicer to people and to how much of a pain it is when people don't pick up their trays when they are done and dump them in the garbage because i used to be one of those people but now i make sure i clear my table because it's a real pain sometimes. Everyone is like family, even though we may not like some people we don't start anything at work because work is work is not a time to let your anger get the best of you because of some co-workers. The hardest part of my job is when the customers may be wrong but we have the customers always right policy so even if the customers may be wrong we still have to respect what the customer wants and take the fall for what ever happened. Meeting new people and just being around people that you may not see or never see again and you getting to hear some of their stories of places, things they experienced. Also the relationship with my co-workers
Pros
free drinks and 20% off on any cara company loctaion
Customer Service Oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 4, 2013
As a customer service representative, I dealt directly with clients over the phone to resolve any issues they had with the food or service. It was a great job to learn how to deal with difficult situations, to handle issues efficiently and to ensure that clients are satisfied.
I worked at CARA Operations when the company was experimenting with new programs which sometimes delayed calls and required employees to adjust to the new programs, but overall it was a great learning experience. The job has allowed me to learn to be patient, efficient and a quick thinker.
Not to much of a great management team
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 25, 2013
managers are very not understanding, and very pushy and when asked for help it seemed like you asked for their help to move you whole house or something.
Pros
big call center, free lunch often
Cons
need a new attitude
CARA
GUEST CONSULTANT/ CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2013
CARA FOOD WAS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK, THE STAFF IS VERY NICE AND SUPPORTIVE
Pros
staff
Cons
not enough hours

4.3