Capstone Mining Corp. is a Canadian base metals mining company, preferentially focussed on copper, with two producing copper mines, the Cozamin copper-silver-zinc-lead mine located in Zacatecas State, Mexico and the Minto copper-gold-silver mine in Yukon, Canada. In addition, Capstone has two development projects, the large scale 70% owned Santo Domingo copper-iron-gold project in Chile in partnership with Korea Resources Corporation and the 100% owned Kutcho copper-zinc-gold-silver project in British Columbia, as well as other exploration properties.
As a Capstone Mining Corp. employee you will become part of a supportive, performance-driven and dynamic environment. You will be given the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skill set working alongside dedicated employees from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. We place the highest priority on employee safety, protecting the environment and enhancing the development of the communities where we operate.
The Minto Mine is an open pit and underground mining operation with conventional crushing, grinding, and flotation to produce copper concentrates with significant gold and silver credits. In June 2012, the results of the pre-feasibility study Phase VI were released which incorporated the results of some earlier exploration success, extending the mine life to 2022.
By joining the Capstone team, you will be become part of an inclusive and loyal team where you will be supported in your career growth through training, diverse opportunities and professional development.
Job Title: Health and Safety Officer
Position Summary: This position is responsible for development, support and supervision of the company’s Health and Safety program at the mine site. The H&S officer provides for the duties of the H&S Superintendent in his absence.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Provide assistance to all front-line supervisors and department heads on emergency response, safety and security matters.
- Coordinate training and response activities of mine rescue team – surface and underground.
- Ensure all Mine Rescue/Emergency Response equipment is available and maintained.
- Support and participate in Emergency Response Plan development and maintenance.
- Coordinate administration of safety training for site personnel.
- Assist with the preparation and monitoring of the department budget.
- Participate in maintaining Yukon COR certification for the mine-site.
- Remain abreast, promote and monitor applicable health and safety legislation including the Yukon Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and other mine specific legislation, standards and best practices.
- Participate in a training plan for the Safety Coordinators.
- Participate in the development and, implementation of mine-site safety policies.
- Investigate incidents and accidents, developing guidelines and safe working practices aimed at reducing the number of incidents and accidents.
- Work closely with the Occupational Health and Safety Committee coordinating training activities and providing support as required.
- Maintain databases for tracking safety statistics, training, and certification.
- Liaise with government agencies, non-government organizations and role-related community groups and boards.
- Monitor medical and safety related inventories.
- Monitor site fire suppression systems.
- Maintain hearing conservation program.
- Participate in the administration of the site drug screen program.
- Maintain valid driver’s license.
- Maintain Advanced First Aid certification and Safety Professional designation.
- Professional Safety Designation – CSO, CRSP
- Advanced first aid certification – PCP, EMT, OFA 3, EMR
- Mine Rescue Instructor Certification (or equivalent)
- Secondary education related to field of responsibility
- 8+ years Health and Safety experience in an industrial setting with increasing roles of responsibility
- 5+ years in a supervisory role
- 5+ years of mining experience
- 3+ years of emergency response team/mine rescue supervision or training experience
This position will require working at a remote worksite. Prolonged periods of time at a desk working at a computer may be required. The position also requires walking to and from different locations on site and prolonged periods of standing may be required. Exposure to extreme temperatures in all seasons is required as is working in extreme conditions such as snow, mud or ice.
Capstone Mining Corp. (Capstone) is a Canada-based company engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development and operation of mineral...