CAPREIT

CAPREIT Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Promoted to Site Manager with in 14 months
Canada as Site Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2014
Pros: recongnition, motivated, trusted on my skills
Cons: travel time
It was a great time in my work history that I worked with lot of resposibilities and management recognitions. I achived an ACES (Above and beyond Conscientious Exceptional Service) award from the management.
Productive yet low supplies
Technician (Current Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCSeptember 21, 2014
-Supplies and tools are low quality and not enough
-I have learned many hands on tasks like, patching walls, changing screen windows and doors and many hands on tasks that a handy man can accomplish.
-management is poor
-co-workers have taught me a lot about the work force.
-Hardest part of the job was how close each on of my appointments were to each – more... other, caused by poor management. – less
Horrific place to be employed.
Site Manager (Former Employee), Victoria, BCAugust 19, 2014
Dismal and despressing work environment, expectation of working through breaks and lunch hours - or facing repercussions of dinosaur style management tactic.
The mood of staff working there is pervasive and unwelcoming.
Negative attitudes and lack of any significant training regimens.
I would avoid working for this company like the plague.
Fun Environment to work
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2014
Very nice employeer, work time is normal business days. I have learned a lot of new technologies, from good management.
Freeloader Maintenance Manager
Maintenance (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: work schedule
Cons: low pay
Use your car, use your insurance, use your gas, etc, and get in return a taxable $100 a month and don't complain cause if you do they will fire you. Besides that the work is not to overwhelming but this unreasonable managers give a bad company image. If you can manage around this issue you can work long time.
Energetic and proactive workplace.
Leasing Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: low pay
Cons: flexible hours
The work at CAPREIT gave me an opening into a new career. It is a very flexible job where we have to change the working locations and requires strong organizational skills. Managing the tenants in a building complex where their is around 270 units is the challenging part of this job. I always enjoyed communicating people with different part of the world – more... directly and through phone. The management and co-workers are friendly and always supportive. I learned to work on SAP interface for preparing the report and processing information. – less
Site Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: benifits
Cons: late hours
Working with the company has been productive I had three building in the downtown area which I would visit on a daily bases. I have learned more on how to manage my time effectively. The co workers are very friendly. The hardest part of my job is the traffic downtown. I like to be productive and busy.
PRODUCTIVE WORKPLACE
Resident Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2013
A typical day at work involved general housekeeping and maintenance of the two building, such as maintening the boiler and fire safety log books. Other task involved resolving work orders for the units or the building, such as changing locks or malfunctioning taps in the units or changing lights or ballasts in the building.
A safe work environment with friendly coworkers
Maintenance - Crew Member (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioJune 17, 2013
Pros: free boxseats at a sporting event (once), friendly coworkers, good pay, and decent work
Cons: too much travelling to and from work, there were some coworkers who escalated things too quickly, some times the work given was rather overwhelming
A typical day usually involved showing up to work early. Resting in the offices until the work day began. Then I would go and grab the tools from on site and begin whatever task it was that I was doing that day. Depending on where I was, or who I was working with, there could be some friendly conversation while we worked. That would continue until lunch – more... rolled around where I would usually go buy some food. Coworkers usually did their own thing at around this time. Then it was back to work until the end of the day.

While working for CAP REIT I learned how to work as part of a team as well as various other specific skills relating to the kind of work I did, from digging window wells to painting. Time management was a big thing while painting, cause you could only go so far in each day because most surfaces required a double coat. So we would have to paint a certain distance until lunch and then break. When we got back we then had to coat the same portion again.

I would say that the hardest part of the job would have had to be the travel to and from locations. The days started at eight but considering I lived two cities/towns away I would have to wake up before six almost every day to make it into work on time. Similarly the trip back was as long, if not longer some days, because I carpooled with family. So sometimes I would be waiting around until seven before I could even head home. That stretched eight hour workdays easily into twelve+. It was brutal. An other thing that was difficult was procuring the right tools. Often time the maintenance team relied on location staff to procure the tools before we showed up but they didn't always know what they were getting and so on occasion we got lower quality tools then would have been preferred or the wrong tools all together.

Some of the most enjoyable parts of the job often revolved around the coworkers. As a maintenance worker, the locations I worked shifted quite a bit and so I had the opportunity to meet different people while on the job. There were some exceptions, but by and large the building staff that I met were all very nice. The work itself wasn't bad either at times. Painting hallways and digging window wells were tasks that you could find a rhythm with which made the day go by smoother. – less
Accounts Payable
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee), 11 Church St, TorontoApril 27, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: yelling at staff and lack of support and leadership
I worked in the AP department from 2011 to 2013. During this time their was constant yelling by the manager. The manager was friends of the VP of Accounting, she was alway running around frantically to get the work done. The Controller, her boss was never to be found and didn't really seem to know what was going on.

In the summer the office was sickening – more... hot, we had big fans to keep the hot air moving.

Glad to get out of there. – less
There are so many better companies out there
Accounting department (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 4, 2013
Pros: i no longer work here
Cons: no professionalism, too much management no ethics
I left a really great company and made the mistake if thinking this was a better move for my career. I was told my position upon hiring would only have one goal to focus on one area however due to other employees lacking the skills to complete the work it headed on my shoulders. The first day I started a Manager was yelling at an employee. If you make – more... errors management will accuse you in front of the entire team. It's awful seeing fellow coworkers go through that embarrassment. The company expects you to work hard but the management seems to be able to leave early and come in late. There is no respect. The conditions are mice in the office, elevators always shutting down, old carpets and old desks. Bankers boxes everywhere.staff look miserable and unhappy. Hr does not listen. Beware capreit posts positive reviews to counteract bad reviews for human resources and their apartments. Top management does not care about their tenants so an employee wonders what am I really working for? Beware they have no class this company and no professionalism. 80% turnover. They will never reach standards of other REIT companies. – less
right business model and strategy induced smooth operation
Assistant to the Controller (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2013
A/P,POST DATA,ANALYSE THE VARIANCE,MARKED THE HYDRO BILLS,CONTROLLER
Project Analyst
Project Analyst (Former Employee), Head Office TorontoNovember 19, 2012
Pros: nothing but a name on my resume.
Cons: a boss who constantly criticized everyone and made everyone uncomfortable
This was my first job from school, I was hired to be a Project Analyst report to the VP Accounting.

I was expecting to review Financial statement and assist in developing reports. Each day I was given simple clerical task from data entry to filing papers. My boss was never around to give me direction and whenever I asked a question of someone else, – more... the VP promptly showed up and interrupted us.

I got out of that place after about 2 months. – less
Accounting at its worst
Property Accountant (Former Employee), Head Office - 11 ChurchNovember 17, 2012
Pros: not much i could say
Cons: vp yelling at people and picking on them.
Hired as a Property Accountant, and did Account Reconciliations, Financial Statements and variance analysis, typical Accounting work, I ended up with a work load three times what I started. I recieved lots of support from my boss, however nothing but criticism from the VP. I was expected to always be available to handle additional work and yet never – more... received as much as a Thank you from her.

The environment at the head office is disgusting, no air conditioning in the summer, mice, freezing cold in the winter, broken elevators and it is generally dirty.

The company is lead by a group of people who have worked together for over 20 years. They yell at everyone and are mean. All the leaders are all white, however most employees are not. Over half the employees have a manager title, however neither my boss or my bosses boss could approve anything. Only the VP can approve somthing.

The computers system is very old, a green screen from the 80's

The company makes many promises to its employees and never delivers. HR just smiles and tells everyone that thing are going to changes, don't believe them.

Employee turnover was around 50%.

Just a horrible place to work – less
learnt a lot of administrative and accounting there
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 9, 2012
Pros: learnt lot of administrative and accounting work
Cons: sad part to leave this organisation
I was hired for three months contract period for their AGI Project ( Above Guidelines Increase in Rent) for their various properties in and around Toronto, while working on coop position there.

The list for various old invoices for capital maintenance in various properties was given and pulling out invoices from vendors files for 2009 and 2010, photocopying – more... them, and restoring the same in vendors files alphabetically.

I love my work, whatever it may be. I learnt a lot of administrative and accounting work there under the supervision of my supervisor. While keying in on AS-400 system, this was my first computerized accounting package to operate and could learn within short time. The entering invoices in Spendmap (Purchase Plus) system after scanning for approval of concerned Project and generating daily report was great experience.

The monthly petty cash adjustment was also good.

The coworkers have been very cooperative and have been helping wherever I needed help.

The management was kind enough to give me employment for 3 months after seeing my work

AGI applications (3 Sets) were scrutinized with the original sets and then submitted to Landlord and Tenant Board and got their acknowledgement. – less
Fun work place
Asst. Property Manager (Former Employee), MDJune 26, 2014
Pros: training
Cons: short lunch breaks
Great Company to work for. They give you all the tools you need to be successful in your job. They really care about their employees.
Project manager-
Project manager (Former Employee), TorontoDecember 27, 2013
Cons: everything.
Awful company. Worst in the whole world. Save yourselves! They are scumbags and disgusting humans.
great company
Assistant Manager / Marketing Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 25, 2013
good company to work for
great for learning property management position
Fun work place
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee), Greenwood, INMay 6, 2013
My direct manager was awesome. It didn't matter what you needed help with he was there to help or show you a better way to do a job. He never acted like he was better or smarter than you he took the time to explain everything.
Property Manager
Property Manager (Former Employee), FloridaJanuary 13, 2013
Many managers are kept at their property when the property is sold or just turned over to a new management company. With that being said,Capreit starts out trying to be professional but never quite reachs it. If you can't continually kiss up to corporate then you won't make it. They then will turn on you, sic their Area Managers on you who love to yell – more... and belittle. Their reporting system is so outdated, you waste so much time with that and preparing your invoices, which told us, there are way too many chiefs that need to be kept busy. – less