CAPREIT Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and friendly environment
Leasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2016
I have learned a lot in Capreit as a Leasing, Site Administrator. I t helped overcome in my role as a rental agent. I am ready to obtain a challenging position with a growth oriented organization where I may be challenged to apply my skills in a new path in my career.
Pros
Free events
Cons
n/a
Challengin work site
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at work at capreit was to do the daily security check around the building. Then the second item would be to check with the onsite manager to see if there was a especial duties to be performed for the day. If there was, they usually meant to fix something broken in tenant's apartment like changing a broken fosset or replacing a broken cartridge in it.
Good place to learn
Corporate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
It is really a good place to develop all your business skills. CAPREIT is using SAP which is a very good ERP system and experience to put on your resume.
Pros
SAP
Cons
Salary increase is limited
Unprofessional management in BC responsible for high turnover rate of qualified maintenance staff
Maintenance Person (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC and Coquitlam, BCJuly 23, 2015
I worked as a Maintenance person for Capreit properties in the province of British Columbia during the past four years. My first two years under the old management were smooth and fair. I felt support and respect from the management staff. We worked as a team and had common goals and values. The final two years were full of stress and undue behaviour brought in by the new executive management (I am talking about BC only) as well as middle management. Below are some comments on the current Capreit state:

1. Management in British Columbia (New Westminster, Coquitlam, Richmond, Vancouver) is unprofessional and unqualified to do their job. I believe that few of them (if any) have university education in property management and/or rental property management license. I do not see any Capreit advertisements with these requirements. Some managers like advising on how to proceed with maintenance tasks, however, their advice usually result in double costs and losses for the company. Nobody cares since it is company’s money, not their own funds.

2. Management is not capable of managing human resources. Front line personnel is not respected and treated as garbage. Management is rude and aggressive. Abusive language is welcomed and promoted in the work place. Tone at the top (in BC) supports and propels such behaviour.

3. If there is a conflict at work, top management will listen only management side of the conflict and will base their understanding of situation, conclusions, and decisions on management words. Top and middle management seem to be unaware about statements
  more... that some people make in a bad faith. Since managers are unprofessional, they are unable to apply professional skepticism and to stop or investigate the actions of the false accuser. Management likes scammers, therefore, gossips and stories circulate in the company negatively affecting reputation of those who have integrity, honesty, and ethics.

4. Management in BC promotes double standards. There are “good” and “bad” maintenance guys in the company. “Good” guys speak good English; nobody expects them to work. Everything is not fixable for them, and management is always ready to call for sub-contractors to fix the problem. “Bad” guys work hard and cover all problems and emergencies, but who cares – they are bad, because they are not manageable (not licking). Skilled and knowledgeable people are not welcomed in Capreit, because they are independent and difficult to be blamed for management mistakes. Unprofessional management needs subordinates that they could easily put at fault disguising their own deficiencies.

5. Top management mix their personal emotions (likes and dislikes) with the business relationships. It is not in the best interests of the company, tenants, and shareholders to dismiss diligent staff on the ground of personal antipathy.

I agree that there are no people whom you cannot replace, but the quality of work (including tenants satisfaction) might be compromised with the high turnover rate and underperformance of front line personnel. Repeating advertising of maintenance positions indicates that labour market lacks qualified human resources. On the other hand, it is a result of internal corporate problems - management mistakes and wrong decisions. Increased salary ceiling for maintenance positions will not help to overcome these problems.

Qualified and knowledgeable workers are valuable assets of the company; they should be respected and motivated to continue working for Capreit. Staffing problems in BC that Capreit is currently facing are not about maintenance (bad guys); those problems are directly attributable to the actions of the top and middle management. Top management in BC promotes anti-Canadian values in the work place, therefore, many trustworthy and reliable employees have to leave. Tone at the top negatively influences all aspects of business operations.

I don’t recommend working for Capreit properties if this situation remains.
Pros
Management tells you about team work and trust
Cons
but there is no trust (the motto is - Do not trust anybody!). In addition, you are the only one in the team, always guilty and poor
Questionable, arrogant, biased job culture. Unprofessionalism
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  RichmondJuly 11, 2015
Started working as a maintenance June 2010 in New West then was moved to Richmond to serve more than 400 units alone. When reached top salary rate had always been found fault with. No facts and or complaints from tenants and co-workers related to performance, relationship, always kept positive attitude. Most recently have been wrongfully dismissed based on prefabricated blatant lie.
Cons
employees are being coerced to take part in ``corporate events`` such as bowling parties, pub getaways etc
a good company
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto ,ONJune 23, 2015
Manages, directs and schedules day-to-day and long-range activities for assigned properties and ensures that all staff members are properly following processes and procedures
•Follow through with professional contractors (plumbers, electricians, etc.) and keep in touch with Maintenance Staff as to the status of repairs/improvements
•On call responsibilities for emergencies and assume duties of technicians, when necessary
•Tracking, analyzing, and reporting performance in terms of quality, safety, cost, and tenant satisfactions. May take corrective action to bring about required change and ensure contract requirements have been executed at a level above the specified standards
•Assist in developing and managing building maintenance budget, administers the unit's budget, approves and analyzes budget reports and forecasts expenditures, recommends purchases and approves payments
•Obtains preliminary pricing for budget
•Maintain maintenance files and records
A fast paced, high volume, collaborative environment
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2015
Working with an array of people composed of a variety of skill sets and personalities has been a highlight of my experience at CAPREIT. Management is very approachable and this allows me to develop the confidence needed to excel. As the business economy landscape shifts and technology advances, CAPREIT has managed to stay current, maintain an excellent reputation, and be a forerunner in the industry.
Pros
Improving corporate culture
Cons
Undefined processes
Canadian experience as Administrative and Accounting Clerk
Administrative and Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 20, 2014
Learned to key-in data in AS-400 and Purchase Plus, Generated Daily Report, Filing, Scanning, Photocopying,

One day worked upto 9.30 PM on the (AGI) Above Guidelines Increase in Rent for various properties in Toronto.

Took out vendor invoices from 2009-2010 records and photocopied and restored the invoices. Enjoyed my work on the project of AGI and submitted AGI applications to Landlord and Tenant Board after photocopying, verification and scrutiny.

Adjustment of Petty expenses of various properties.

Assisted with submitting old invoices, records to Audit and other Profit Centres.
Promoted to Site Manager with in 14 months
Canada as Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2014
It was a great time in my work history that I worked with lot of resposibilities and management recognitions. I achived an ACES (Above and beyond Conscientious Exceptional Service) award from the management.
Pros
recongnition, motivated, trusted on my skills
Cons
travel time
Productive yet low supplies
Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 21, 2014
-Supplies and tools are low quality and not enough
-I have learned many hands on tasks like, patching walls, changing screen windows and doors and many hands on tasks that a handy man can accomplish.
-management is poor
-co-workers have taught me a lot about the work force.
-Hardest part of the job was how close each on of my appointments were to each other, caused by poor management.
Horrific place to be employed.
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 19, 2014
Dismal and despressing work environment, expectation of working through breaks and lunch hours - or facing repercussions of dinosaur style management tactic.
The mood of staff working there is pervasive and unwelcoming.
Negative attitudes and lack of any significant training regimens.
I would avoid working for this company like the plague.
Fun Environment to work
IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2014
Very nice employeer, work time is normal business days. I have learned a lot of new technologies, from good management.
Freeloader Maintenance Manager
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 4, 2014
Use your car, use your insurance, use your gas, etc, and get in return a taxable $100 a month and don't complain cause if you do they will fire you. Besides that the work is not to overwhelming but this unreasonable managers give a bad company image. If you can manage around this issue you can work long time.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
low pay
Energetic and proactive workplace.
Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2014
The work at CAPREIT gave me an opening into a new career. It is a very flexible job where we have to change the working locations and requires strong organizational skills. Managing the tenants in a building complex where their is around 270 units is the challenging part of this job. I always enjoyed communicating people with different part of the world directly and through phone. The management and co-workers are friendly and always supportive. I learned to work on SAP interface for preparing the report and processing information.
Pros
low pay
Cons
flexible hours
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2013
Working with the company has been productive I had three building in the downtown area which I would visit on a daily bases. I have learned more on how to manage my time effectively. The co workers are very friendly. The hardest part of my job is the traffic downtown. I like to be productive and busy.
Pros
benifits
Cons
late hours
PRODUCTIVE WORKPLACE
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2013
A typical day at work involved general housekeeping and maintenance of the two building, such as maintening the boiler and fire safety log books. Other task involved resolving work orders for the units or the building, such as changing locks or malfunctioning taps in the units or changing lights or ballasts in the building.
A safe work environment with friendly coworkers
Maintenance - Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 17, 2013
A typical day usually involved showing up to work early. Resting in the offices until the work day began. Then I would go and grab the tools from on site and begin whatever task it was that I was doing that day. Depending on where I was, or who I was working with, there could be some friendly conversation while we worked. That would continue until lunch rolled around where I would usually go buy some food. Coworkers usually did their own thing at around this time. Then it was back to work until the end of the day.

While working for CAP REIT I learned how to work as part of a team as well as various other specific skills relating to the kind of work I did, from digging window wells to painting. Time management was a big thing while painting, cause you could only go so far in each day because most surfaces required a double coat. So we would have to paint a certain distance until lunch and then break. When we got back we then had to coat the same portion again.

I would say that the hardest part of the job would have had to be the travel to and from locations. The days started at eight but considering I lived two cities/towns away I would have to wake up before six almost every day to make it into work on time. Similarly the trip back was as long, if not longer some days, because I carpooled with family. So sometimes I would be waiting around until seven before I could even head home. That stretched eight hour workdays easily into twelve+. It was brutal. An other thing that was difficult was procuring the right tools. Often time the maintenance team relied on location staff to
  more... procure the tools before we showed up but they didn't always know what they were getting and so on occasion we got lower quality tools then would have been preferred or the wrong tools all together.

Some of the most enjoyable parts of the job often revolved around the coworkers. As a maintenance worker, the locations I worked shifted quite a bit and so I had the opportunity to meet different people while on the job. There were some exceptions, but by and large the building staff that I met were all very nice. The work itself wasn't bad either at times. Painting hallways and digging window wells were tasks that you could find a rhythm with which made the day go by smoother.
Pros
free boxseats at a sporting event (once), friendly coworkers, good pay, and decent work
Cons
too much travelling to and from work, there were some coworkers who escalated things too quickly, some times the work given was rather overwhelming
Accounts Payable
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  11 Church St, TorontoApril 27, 2013
I worked in the AP department from 2011 to 2013. During this time their was constant yelling by the manager. The manager was friends of the VP of Accounting, she was alway running around frantically to get the work done. The Controller, her boss was never to be found and didn't really seem to know what was going on.

In the summer the office was sickening hot, we had big fans to keep the hot air moving.

Glad to get out of there.
Pros
nothing
Cons
yelling at staff and lack of support and leadership
There are so many better companies out there
Accounting department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2013
I left a really great company and made the mistake if thinking this was a better move for my career. I was told my position upon hiring would only have one goal to focus on one area however due to other employees lacking the skills to complete the work it headed on my shoulders. The first day I started a Manager was yelling at an employee. If you make errors management will accuse you in front of the entire team. It's awful seeing fellow coworkers go through that embarrassment. The company expects you to work hard but the management seems to be able to leave early and come in late. There is no respect. The conditions are mice in the office, elevators always shutting down, old carpets and old desks. Bankers boxes everywhere.staff look miserable and unhappy. Hr does not listen. Beware capreit posts positive reviews to counteract bad reviews for human resources and their apartments. Top management does not care about their tenants so an employee wonders what am I really working for? Beware they have no class this company and no professionalism. 80% turnover. They will never reach standards of other REIT companies.
Pros
i no longer work here
Cons
no professionalism, too much management no ethics
right business model and strategy induced smooth operation
Assistant to the Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2013