CANYON TECHNICAL SERVICES

CANYON TECHNICAL SERVICES Employee Reviews in Canada

Great
Fluid Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Great job with a big company that made you feel like you were important. Driving trucks and pumping fluids at high rates and pressures. Learned to troubleshoot various components of equipment,(electrical, mechanical, hydraulic) Small crew you worked with out in the field and long hours.
Great pay, interesting work
Chemical Transfer Operator Driver (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, ABNovember 11, 2015
Work long hours and 15 days in a row with 6 days off. Learned to be a more efficient driver.Working with a fairly big crew was nice. Hardest part of job was rigging in and out. Most rewarding part of job was travelling to different areas of the province and the pay!
A great company that is now miss managed
Quality Assurance Controller (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 5, 2015
Canyon was a great company that is now poorly mismanaged. They cut employees from salary to day rates or hourly without taking the employees opinions into account. I would not be surprise most senior members seek employment in the coming year.

The managers and senior staff in Grande Prairie are great people but they cannot fix the things Calgary management has put in place. Also there is very little training programs available to the employees. I try many times to set up various courses such as pump rebuilding courses, or chemical training.

The best thing about Canyon is the co-workers. They make it worth the cut backs to stay. But now many of us unfortunately can not stand the way the place is ran from Calgary. We are just a number on a sheet of paper to cut to save costs. Their core values do not match their management style.

Like to thank many people that was encounter in the field, that made it worth 9 years of employment. But do not recommend starting at that place now. Morale is now an all time low, and management do not care one bit about you from head office. I also did not receive a raise in 5 years.
Pros
Free truck, Great employees for now, wonderful supervisors for now
Cons
Poor management that do not take any of the employees opinions
frac operator
Field Operator / Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer AlbertaAugust 17, 2015
good place to work overall safety is ok need more dedicated safety adviser to do more site audits the management is committed to the health and safety of its workers
Great attitude and professionalism
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 2, 2015
Team at Canyon always has the individual in mind. Safety and family always came first. The crews were absolutely great to work with, friendly and knowledgeable.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lots of driving
it was good to work with the guys
Coil Tubing Operator (Lead Hand) (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 25, 2015
15 day on 6 days off
working on a crew of 3 to 5 guys helping rig in and out the units.Running in and out of the wells and working along side the supervisor and tool hand. During the time in this job I was able to gain and maintain tickets needed to work in the field safely and effectively.

I found that the Canyon management was approachable and easy to communicate with .

The people that I worked with during my time with this company became like a second family on the road.

The hardest part of the job was being away from my family for the 15 days at a time. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning and having new challenges.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work Experience
Driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABFebruary 2, 2015
Good place to work, excellent training provided
Started with little knowledge of the process and left with alot more awareness.
Cons
One word says it all CHEAP!
Transport Operator (Former Employee) –  Red DeerOctober 23, 2014
Good people to work with to bad about management being out of touch. Salary sucked as did the hourly rate for hauling sand, all right if you are starting out but if you have experience go somewhere else as experienced drivers are paid the same as someone who just got their class 1. If you like sharing a room in the cheapest motel they can find and not getting any sleep then this is the company for you. The safety culture is really lacking out in the field, the field mentors encourage poor driving habits by setting a bad example by speeding, lying on their logbooks and making fun of drivers who drive properly. Management is very cheap and out of touch with what is going on out in the field.
Pros
they will hire just about anyone.
Cons
experience is not recognized and paid accordingly
Judge for yourself
pump operator (Current Employee) –  AlbertaSeptember 7, 2014
Ok, obviously as all companies this company has it's own pros and cons. I agree to the posts below about salary and stuff. Speaking of which, few people from Trican have seen our bonus plan for fracturing, here's what they ALL say: " you guys get r*ped" So i am assuming that they are way below industry standards. That's kind of upsetting to hear that Canyon treats us like that. And scary part is that they ALL said exact same thing, it's like they talked to each other prior seeing Canyon's bonus plan. Do you think that's fair???

Next thing is even worse. Let's say you hired as class 5. You gonna get you class one and then will be op1/iron truck operator for quiet some time. Then you'll see people coming in with class 1 and being offered op2/pump operator wages and salary. They don't have any experience with pumps or iron trucks nor in the industry. Guess what, you, as an op1/iron truck might end up training some of them. How would you like to train a person who makes more money than you? How would you feel about that? Do you think it's fair to a person who's been with a company for like 6 months(or more) and knows how to run few pieces of equipment? iron? rig-ins/rig-outs? Oh yes, that stuff happens at Canyon all the time, and in order for you to get promoted, there's a lot of stuff/reviews has to happen, including time, roughly 3-4 months. that's once they decide to give you a promotion. Do you thing that's fair???

Is there anything good you may ask?? Yes there's is. Over all the money is good, after all, we are all here because of money. Even though I kinda want to see an
  more... increase in bonuses, salary or pay structure in general. I do like Trican's structure. Those of you who don't know how they get paid, i'll tell you. Here's how they get paid: First day on location you going to get a bonus based on size ( $$$) of a job. Let's say it's 450$. They rest will be paid out to you hourly. For example, you are on a 24h ten day frac. So you will be on location for 12h a day for 10 days which is 120hours. Trican will pay you 10% of your bonus per hour. So 120 hours x (450 x 10%) = $5400 + your initial bonus which is 450$. Add these two together and divide by 10 or 11 days and you going to get very nice amount per day. I am not 100% sure about this, as far as I know, this is how they get paid. While at Canyon, what we frac ($$$) in a day is what we gonna get paid. If we well is sanded off or we can't get into that well so the job $ is very small, relativly, our bonus is very small, even though we are on location for 13hs a day. Do you think that's fair???

Overall I am making money and I am thankful i have this job. Canyon is a pretty good company with tons of issues that need to be fixed. I can't believe they are still wondering why so many people quite within first 6 months. The answer is $$$MONEY$$$. Canyon pay people accordingly, fix the recognition/promotion issue and you'll forget what turnover rate is.
Pros
for the most part all guys that i work with are nice people.
Cons
a lot of unfairness
Great place for beginners
Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, ABJuly 17, 2014
Canyon has great mentors and they make sure that greenhands get the best training possible.
Decent place
Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2014
The best part of the job was working with the guys I worked with every day
Good fair employer
Pump operator (Current Employee) –  Red deer albertaJune 3, 2014
Canyon technical services is a fast growing fair employer, and because they are growing so fast there is plenty of room for advancement.
If a person shows up and works hard he or she will do well there.
Pros
excellent benifits and compensation
Job
Blender Operator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 12, 2014
Not a bad place to work but the excess of afterhours fun made it very tough to work with
So far, I love it here
Pump operator - fracturing (Current Employee) –  Red deer, AlbertaMay 1, 2014
Great company to work for as of today, ok benefits, not the greatest, but reasonable, if you'll get hired as class 5, consider yourself a lucky one, cuz you'll get class 1 and tons of other safety tickets. Starring salary is fine, with class 1, you are looking for 2800 monthly plus bonuses obviously, plus 12$/h over time after 8 hours on well site. You don't have to wear a hardhat when you are working in the pit like you do in Trican, we don't polish rims during spring break, just basic unit maintenance. Management is actually pretty nice, sups and crew cabs are nice as well, except one (as of today may 1st, 2014), he is a crew cab on yellow and could be very nasty sometimes. One last thing, equipment is one the major reasons people choose this company. It's really nice and new. So that's about it...
Pros
management, money, nice staff
Cons
starring base salary could be a bit higher, during 24h frac, bonus is split between day and night shift. for example job is 500, 000 so the bonus should be 525$ for pump operator, instead you are getting 450$ as if the job is 250, 000$
Great place to work and learn
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer County, ABNovember 23, 2013
This is where I got my Class 1 License. I was taught how to drive an 18 speed truck. Other co-workers were all willing to teach me how to do my job right. I had a great support system in learning everything as this was my first job in the oil field. So everything was new to me.
Pros
great place to work.
Good place to work.
Sand truck driver (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 27, 2013
Loade sand and delivered to location. Blew into sand hog. Reloaded and wnent to new location.
Pros
overtime
Cons
out of town alot
Great Company
Level 2 Cement & Acid Pump Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 8, 2013
Canyon is a great company to work for and the people I worked with was great.
A reasonable place to work
Frac Pump Operator / Class (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 12, 2013
Canyon technical services are a reasonably ok company to work for.
Management is reasonable at best.