CANYON TECHNICAL SERVICES

CANYON TECHNICAL SERVICES Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Judge for yourself
pump operator (Current Employee), AlbertaSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: for the most part all guys that i work with are nice people.
Cons: a lot of unfairness
Ok, obviously as all companies this company has it's own pros and cons. I agree to the posts below about salary and stuff. Speaking of which, few people from Trican have seen our bonus plan for fracturing, here's what they ALL say: " you guys get r*ped" So i am assuming that they are way below industry standards. That's kind of upsetting to hear that – more... Canyon treats us like that. And scary part is that they ALL said exact same thing, it's like they talked to each other prior seeing Canyon's bonus plan. Do you think that's fair???

Next thing is even worse. Let's say you hired as class 5. You gonna get you class one and then will be op1/iron truck operator for quiet some time. Then you'll see people coming in with class 1 and being offered op2/pump operator wages and salary. They don't have any experience with pumps or iron trucks nor in the industry. Guess what, you, as an op1/iron truck might end up training some of them. How would you like to train a person who makes more money than you? How would you feel about that? Do you think it's fair to a person who's been with a company for like 6 months(or more) and knows how to run few pieces of equipment? iron? rig-ins/rig-outs? Oh yes, that stuff happens at Canyon all the time, and in order for you to get promoted, there's a lot of stuff/reviews has to happen, including time, roughly 3-4 months. that's once they decide to give you a promotion. Do you thing that's fair???

Is there anything good you may ask?? Yes there's is. Over all the money is good, after all, we are all here because of money. Even though I kinda want to see an increase in bonuses, salary or pay structure in general. I do like Trican's structure. Those of you who don't know how they get paid, i'll tell you. Here's how they get paid: First day on location you going to get a bonus based on size ( $$$) of a job. Let's say it's 450$. They rest will be paid out to you hourly. For example, you are on a 24h ten day frac. So you will be on location for 12h a day for 10 days which is 120hours. Trican will pay you 10% of your bonus per hour. So 120 hours x (450 x 10%) = $5400 + your initial bonus which is 450$. Add these two together and divide by 10 or 11 days and you going to get very nice amount per day. I am not 100% sure about this, as far as I know, this is how they get paid. While at Canyon, what we frac ($$$) in a day is what we gonna get paid. If we well is sanded off or we can't get into that well so the job $ is very small, relativly, our bonus is very small, even though we are on location for 13hs a day. Do you think that's fair???

Overall I am making money and I am thankful i have this job. Canyon is a pretty good company with tons of issues that need to be fixed. I can't believe they are still wondering why so many people quite within first 6 months. The answer is $$$MONEY$$$. Canyon pay people accordingly, fix the recognition/promotion issue and you'll forget what turnover rate is. – less
Great place for beginners
Pump Operator (Former Employee), Clairmont, ABJuly 17, 2014
Canyon has great mentors and they make sure that greenhands get the best training possible.
Decent place
Operator 2 (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABJuly 8, 2014
The best part of the job was working with the guys I worked with every day
Good fair employer
Pump operator (Current Employee), Red deer albertaJune 3, 2014
Pros: excellent benifits and compensation
Cons: long hours
Canyon technical services is a fast growing fair employer, and because they are growing so fast there is plenty of room for advancement.
If a person shows up and works hard he or she will do well there.
Job
Blender Operator (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABMay 12, 2014
Not a bad place to work but the excess of afterhours fun made it very tough to work with
So far, I love it here
Pump operator - fracturing (Current Employee), Red deer, AlbertaMay 1, 2014
Pros: management, money, nice staff
Cons: starring base salary could be a bit higher, during 24h frac, bonus is split between day and night shift. for example job is 500, 000 so the bonus should be 525$ for pump operator, instead you are getting 450$ as if the job is 250, 000$
Great company to work for as of today, ok benefits, not the greatest, but reasonable, if you'll get hired as class 5, consider yourself a lucky one, cuz you'll get class 1 and tons of other safety tickets. Starring salary is fine, with class 1, you are looking for 2800 monthly plus bonuses obviously, plus 12$/h over time after 8 hours on well site. – more... You don't have to wear a hardhat when you are working in the pit like you do in Trican, we don't polish rims during spring break, just basic unit maintenance. Management is actually pretty nice, sups and crew cabs are nice as well, except one (as of today may 1st, 2014), he is a crew cab on yellow and could be very nasty sometimes. One last thing, equipment is one the major reasons people choose this company. It's really nice and new. So that's about it... – less
Great place to work and learn
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Red Deer County, ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: great place to work.
This is where I got my Class 1 License. I was taught how to drive an 18 speed truck. Other co-workers were all willing to teach me how to do my job right. I had a great support system in learning everything as this was my first job in the oil field. So everything was new to me.
Good place to work.
Sand truck driver (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJune 27, 2013
Pros: overtime
Cons: out of town alot
Loade sand and delivered to location. Blew into sand hog. Reloaded and wnent to new location.
Great Company
Level 2 Cement & Acid Pump Operator (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABJune 8, 2013
Canyon is a great company to work for and the people I worked with was great.
A reasonable place to work
Frac Pump Operator / Class (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 12, 2013
Canyon technical services are a reasonably ok company to work for.
Management is reasonable at best.

About CANYON TECHNICAL SERVICES

Canyon Technical Services is a leader in the oilfield service industry, providing customized fracturing and pressure pumping solutions – Read more