Canlan Ice Sports Employee Reviews

i never worked here
Co-op placement (Former Employee) –  n/a28 October 2016
filled out an application and it asked me if i enjoyed working there, i don't really know yet | the rest is just filler cause i needed at least 20 words lol
Pros
never
Cons
worked here
Friendly workers, fun environment to work in
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 September 2016
Enjoyed my work, but was not informed when i was hired that it was a temporary seasonal job until they told me not to go in anymore.
productive and challenging
Maintenance Staff ( Part time employee ) (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 August 2016
Working in this company is truly enjoyable and challenging as well. I learned things that I didn't normally do in my previous job. The people around you are very pleasant to work with especially my co-workers. Though it's tough to work there but it is worth because I felt the caring and the concerns of your superiors.
Canlan Ice Sports
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
- Canlan Ice Sports specializes in delivering programs from learn to skate to elite hockey skills
- This location was just outside of Edmonton, Alberta at the River Cree Twin Rinks facility.
Awesome place to work, skating and lots and lots of hockey!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 March 2016
Working at Jemini hockey arena I worked with children and adults. Everyday I had to work minor hockey/tournaments and evenings would serve the adult hockey teams on the league nights. Working at Jemini you evolve to become one big family. Coworkers grew to be life long friends and management was extremely hard to beat, I admired everyone I worked with and for at the rink.
Pros
Free skating programs for our children, discounted meals
Cons
Late nights, finishing work at 2 am
Good
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2016
• Operated the cash register handling cash, debit and credit transactions
• Delegating tasks fellow employees ensuring optimum outcomes
• Provided strong customer service on a daily basis
Private company, casual atmosphere
Tournament Manager (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 September 2015
Casual work environment with a great team. Room for improvement on advancing within. Adequate salary with good company policies.
Pros
good benifet plan
Cons
long demanding hours
Fun and challenging workplace
Director, Food and Beverage Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2015
Canlan is a recreation company with a strong focus on workplace culture. Collaboration is encouraged and enabled, workplace relationships fostered through both fun and productive non-work activities.
There is a emphasis on accountability and bottom line results. That being said, non-monetary rewards more than compensate for the dedication required.
Pros
on site gym and frequent recreation opportunities
Cons
a thinly spread workforce requires a constant focus on distance communication
Great Enviroment
League Convenor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2015
Job was an entry level postion however it was a nice start to my career. The group of people I worked with were excellent role models and helped me learn quick.
Cons
Low pay
Fun place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley Twin Rinks28 May 2015
I am currently the Office Manager at an Ice Rink. During my time with Canlan Ice Sports I have been involved in Budget reviews and have participated in our annual AOP meetings with head office back east.
I work with a bunch of great people who generally care about everyone's well being. We even sometimes get together socially outside of work.
Some of the things we do as a Corporation is yearly Softball Tournaments, Team Building such as BBQ's, Go Carting etc.,
Fun and friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2014
I loved working for Canlan, I worked as a customer service rep full time until I had my kids.

I was responsible for all the phone calls coming into the facility with over 50 extensions. I also assisted the sales team in ice sales and ice allocation sheets.

I had very supportive and approachable management that I worked closely with on a daily basis.

I was responsible for all journal entries as well as all cash coming into the facility from our front office, restaurant and pro shop on a daily basis.
Pros
great high energy work environment
Cons
A little far from home
relaxed at times but fast passe and always positive energy
Cook/dishwasher/busser (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 March 2013
70% of the time open is 4pm and its prep veggies, stock the line and make backups for the closer.
The managements great, they could use more communication between themselves.
Co-workers are great. always smiling and happy.
hardest part of the job id have to say is doing all the nessessary weekly and monthly cleaning to keep the place in tiptop shape.
Pros
free meal with every shift
Cons
shifts can be shorter which makes for not as many hours.
Exciting place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 August 2012
A great place to work.
Gaining customer service skills experience
Cash handling.
Answering phone calls
Potential
Director, Food & Beverage Operations (Former Employee) –  North York, ON23 May 2012
Canlan Ice Sports has great potential to be an excellent employer if they "walk the talk". As long as they continue to only speak the words and not take action they will continue to be an average employer at best.
Fun and great place to work
Time-Keeper (Former Employee) –  Oakville5 April 2012
Provide the best programs and faculty in any Ice Sports in Ontario. Managment to co-workers, everyone is great to work with.
fast pace, fun and rewarding
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 March 2012
Typical day requires, answering questions, organizing, planning and marketing upcoming events. Communicating with customers via email, over the phone in person. this position is always changing with the seasons. One season you might be dealing with 500 young athletes and parents, where the next season you could be dealing with over a 1,000 young athletes and parents.
Pros
mentoring and teaching
Cons
long hours, must be very well organized