Canfor Employee Reviews

Focussed on employee well being
Field Operations, Layout (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC23 March 2017
The best employer I have ever worked with. Really go out of their way to make work an enjoyable place; always looking out for the employee and presenting opportunity to expand employee training wherever possible. Plenty of room for advancement.
Keep looking
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC21 February 2017
There are some good people that work here but corporate management has something wrong with them. They do not follow employment standards and when mentioned they don't care. Only place I have ever worked where I understood the need for a union.
Challenging to advance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC24 January 2017
Management can be okay if you're doing what needs to be done that being said there's no trust between employee and management! this job is for someone who's starting out in the industry. wages are not the greatest if you have a family! it's not a career type job wages are low! they preach safety first but its production then safety! bottom line if you're desperate and hurting for a job take this!
Pros
Cons
management! wages! task! cross shift will leave you shafted!!!
Worked with good people in chetwynd. They expect alot but what employer doesnt. Over all a great place to work.
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C.6 January 2017
Was a great place to work. Work hard, be a team player, keep your mind on your job, don't get caught up in the bs that goes with every job, and it's a good job. Overtime is always welcome in my book. Overall a winner!
Pros
Close to home. Good foremans
Cons
In the middle of nowhere
Some Good, Lots not so good
Various Management Positions (Current Employee) –  Various BC10 November 2016
As company has grown, many of the previous positive aspects have been replaced with what would be expected with large, slow moving, company focused on appearance rather than substance or results.

Public relations and "spinning" of results have become the norm and while there is lots of talk about the value of employees, safety, etc, the actual effort applied to these "core values" are small.

Compensation is reasonable, but there is a constant erosion of benefits and expectations of longer hours, etc
Pros
Salary
Cons
Most other things
was a productive place to work at.
Planer Mill Worker (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC17 October 2016
It was a good place to work at. Provided lots of learning opportunities.
Eight hours shift.
Co workers were good and friendly.
productive work place
weekend clean up , then moved to graveyards (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC28 July 2016
The job was great, good money, decent bosses, never a dull moment. except the other employees were lazy and to "tired" to be working so hard. how ever i never let that stop me, i worked my little butt off and now i know the defference between hard works and lazy people.
this is the adjacent pellet plant not the sawmill side
no comment (Former Employee) –  chetwynd pellet plant12 July 2016
This position is offered for the pellet plant not the sawmill side. Through CENLP ( CANFOR AND PACIFIC BIO) .

That being said. I would not recommend applying to work for them unless your desperate. The managment or there lack of is atrocious. There are NO supervisors, the communication lines between staff are non existant, there are no defined job duties and your workload changes from shift to shift at times with no warning, leaving one to discover the hard way.

As far as the longevity of the pellet plant goes, things are not.looking good with the way its run.
Avoid if.possible
Pros
OT available, pay for ticket courses (fall arrest, etc) union staff are friendly
Cons
management, no morale, no trust, no communication, no on site first aid/first aid room
Great pay
Maintenace Supervisor / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Prince George19 May 2016
Wasn't a great experience, but made a lot of money. No real room for advancement. Lack of genuine concern for unionized employees.
Great stepping stone in Mackenzie
Shift Millwright/Safety Rep (Current Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC13 April 2016
Great people to work with daily, usually runs very good, modern mill that has been rebuilt in last 2 years. Some supervisor bully to get things done which makes it a difficult atmosphere.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
frustrating to deal with same issues day after day
Challenging and productive workplace.
maintainence electrician/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC3 March 2016
A typical day involves preparing the mill for startup and keeping it operational until it shut down at midnight.
The most challenging part of the job was troubleshooting while the mill was stopped and the pressure was on to get it running quickly.
It was rewarding to be valued for my skills.
Great co-workers! Challenging with a young family.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC17 February 2016
Decent wages. My coworkers are a great team! I found it difficult coordinating life with young children when I started my family. I enjoyed data collecting to ensure a quality product was brought to customers globally. I enjoyed working in the quality control department.
Okay place
Buyer\Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vavenby, BC2 February 2016
Opportunity for advancement if you are so inclined,wages and benefit package are great. Each day is different\presenting challenges
terrible place for a welder (Fort St John)
welder (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC24 January 2016
where to begin on this long list of flaws
DO NOT RELOCATE UNTIL THROUGH PROBATION
-first of all the equipment is terrible and outdated (doesnt even have enough duty cycle to gouge) and doesnt reflect on jobs taking longer
-if you have any sort of pride in your welding be sure you can throw it out the window as doing a good job "takes to long" so be prepared to scab out to the max
-no sense of guidance for people new to industry but are expected to produce as much as a person whos been there for years
-spark watch takes off for hours at a time (not able to cut grind weld etc without their presence) also reflects your work abilities
-Cant trust many people as far as you can throw them
-the superintendant looks at your list and determines himself with no knowledge of what the job entails how MANY things you should be able to get done in a day
-as well as no other welders to show you the ropes
I GAVE UP MY LIFE TO RELOCATE FOR THIS JOB TO BE LET GO NOT FOR SLACKING BUT DUE TO ALL THE FLAWS THIS MILL HAD WITH EVERYTHING I WAS DETERMINED TO BE NOT A RIGHT FIT NOW MY FAMILY IS ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT BECAUSE OF THIS COMPANY. THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN LET GO FOR THIS REASON IN MY 8 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A WELDER.
Pros
weekend shift
Cons
everything else
poor
Shift millwright (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC19 October 2015
Current team leader prefers to use sub-contract skilled labour so he can bully workers. Typical day was pretty much as expected for sawmill / planer mill shift millwright. The hardest part of the job is obtaining the proper parts to complete repairs. most ebjoyable part of the job is working with a good crew of workers.
Pros
good wage/ benafits package
Cons
maintenance supers motto " my right to manage and your right to greive."
fast paced production of lumber
labourer (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC26 September 2015
management easy to get along with as long as you work hard and do what needs to be done...learn a variety of tasks and do them safely and efficiently...worked with a variety of characters that made it more interesting to go to work everyday...
good job
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC15 August 2015
supportave management good co workers learned alot from older tradesmen working in the cold sucked when it had to happen the mill is closed down
Great atmosphere and always fun to socialize with friends while on breaks
Mill Worker (Current Employee) –  Bear Lake, AB31 May 2015
I really enjoy working at Canfor because of the good atmosphere. The four men are really polite and generous. The hardest part of working here is nothing really. What I enjoy most is working with the positive attitudes that the co-workers show.
Productive and Safe work environment
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof BC8 May 2015
My day started off with cleaning the lumber decks off from debris, that consisted of using a long pike pole to grab the pieces and throw them down the chipper belt. After that I would wait and watch the monitors for lumber to cross into B mill where I was located. After that I watched the lumber flow on both sides making sure one trimmer didn't get to much lumber. That was job there. After so long I won the bidding for Stacker operator and was getting trained on that, because of family issues I was obligated to quit my job at Canfor and get my family straightened out. I learned how to lock out equipment, test it and make sure it is safe, I learned how to be productive and work at a fast pace. At Canfor I learned to become a team and work well with others getting the job done more efficiently and safely. The hardest part of my job was clearing cross ups. The most enjoyable part was knowing i had a job for life and loved what i was doing and worked hard at it.
Pros
everything
Cons
risk of fires
Easy work
Clean up Crew (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BC6 May 2015
It is a easy company to get to know and they train you for the positions. Easy to move up in the company. The company is union and you can get further education within the company
Pros
Not pressed for time
Cons
Benifit packages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canfor. Our community is ready to answer.