Canfor Employee Reviews

Challenging to advance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC24 January 2017
Management can be okay if you're doing what needs to be done that being said there's no trust between employee and management! this job is for someone who's starting out in the industry. wages are not the greatest if you have a family! it's not a career type job wages are low! they preach safety first but its production then safety! bottom line if you're desperate and hurting for a job take this!
Pros
Cons
management! wages! task! cross shift will leave you shafted!!!
Worked with good people in chetwynd. They expect alot but what employer doesnt. Over all a great place to work.
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C.6 January 2017
Was a great place to work. Work hard, be a team player, keep your mind on your job, don't get caught up in the bs that goes with every job, and it's a good job. Overtime is always welcome in my book. Overall a winner!
Pros
Close to home. Good foremans
Cons
In the middle of nowhere
Some Good, Lots not so good
Various Management Positions (Current Employee) –  Various BC10 November 2016
As company has grown, many of the previous positive aspects have been replaced with what would be expected with large, slow moving, company focused on appearance rather than substance or results.

Public relations and "spinning" of results have become the norm and while there is lots of talk about the value of employees, safety, etc, the actual effort applied to these "core values" are small.

Compensation is reasonable, but there is a constant erosion of benefits and expectations of longer hours, etc
Pros
Salary
Cons
Most other things
Focussed on employee well being
Field Operations, Layout (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC23 March 2017
The best employer I have ever worked with. Really go out of their way to make work an enjoyable place; always looking out for the employee and presenting opportunity to expand employee training wherever possible. Plenty of room for advancement.
Keep looking
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC21 February 2017
There are some good people that work here but corporate management has something wrong with them. They do not follow employment standards and when mentioned they don't care. Only place I have ever worked where I understood the need for a union.
this is the adjacent pellet plant not the sawmill side
no comment (Former Employee) –  chetwynd pellet plant12 July 2016
This position is offered for the pellet plant not the sawmill side. Through CENLP ( CANFOR AND PACIFIC BIO) .

That being said. I would not recommend applying to work for them unless your desperate. The managment or there lack of is atrocious. There are NO supervisors, the communication lines between staff are non existant, there are no defined job duties and your workload changes from shift to shift at times with no warning, leaving one to discover the hard way.

As far as the longevity of the pellet plant goes, things are not.looking good with the way its run.
Avoid if.possible
Pros
OT available, pay for ticket courses (fall arrest, etc) union staff are friendly
Cons
management, no morale, no trust, no communication, no on site first aid/first aid room
productive work place
weekend clean up , then moved to graveyards (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC28 July 2016
The job was great, good money, decent bosses, never a dull moment. except the other employees were lazy and to "tired" to be working so hard. how ever i never let that stop me, i worked my little butt off and now i know the defference between hard works and lazy people.
was a productive place to work at.
Planer Mill Worker (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC17 October 2016
It was a good place to work at. Provided lots of learning opportunities.
Eight hours shift.
Co workers were good and friendly.
Great stepping stone in Mackenzie
Shift Millwright/Safety Rep (Current Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC13 April 2016
Great people to work with daily, usually runs very good, modern mill that has been rebuilt in last 2 years. Some supervisor bully to get things done which makes it a difficult atmosphere.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
frustrating to deal with same issues day after day
Challenging and productive workplace.
maintainence electrician/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC3 March 2016
A typical day involves preparing the mill for startup and keeping it operational until it shut down at midnight.
The most challenging part of the job was troubleshooting while the mill was stopped and the pressure was on to get it running quickly.
It was rewarding to be valued for my skills.
Great co-workers! Challenging with a young family.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC17 February 2016
Decent wages. My coworkers are a great team! I found it difficult coordinating life with young children when I started my family. I enjoyed data collecting to ensure a quality product was brought to customers globally. I enjoyed working in the quality control department.
Great pay
Maintenace Supervisor / Millwright (Former Employee) –  Prince George19 May 2016
Wasn't a great experience, but made a lot of money. No real room for advancement. Lack of genuine concern for unionized employees.
poor
Shift millwright (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC19 October 2015
Current team leader prefers to use sub-contract skilled labour so he can bully workers. Typical day was pretty much as expected for sawmill / planer mill shift millwright. The hardest part of the job is obtaining the proper parts to complete repairs. most ebjoyable part of the job is working with a good crew of workers.
Pros
good wage/ benafits package
Cons
maintenance supers motto " my right to manage and your right to greive."
Okay place
Buyer\Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vavenby, BC2 February 2016
Opportunity for advancement if you are so inclined,wages and benefit package are great. Each day is different\presenting challenges
Canfor would be a perfect place to work if i could get a full-time position
Industrial Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC1 March 2014
In my one month training experience at Canfor I learned far more than I have in a month anywhere else. I worked on a variety of projects from pouring concrete to building cabinets, and recieved countless certifications including: WHIMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Fall Protection, Overhead Crane, Boomlift & Scissorlift Operation and filling of propane.
Pros
Four day weeks 10 hours a day
Cons
Not a permanent position
Enjoy going to work,very productive days,great group of guys to work with
Welder (Current Employee) –  Elko, BC29 September 2012
Morning meeting-go over production numbers,what another record!haha.Go over safety,receive work orders,get to work.
-Throughout 24 years it has been quite some time since Crestbrook and Tembec have had any accountability.Since the take over by Canfor this has been put in place and enforced,the employees now know they will be accountable.Great job by our Plant manager bringing this along.
-Maintenance superintenant-very personable,some 12 hr days put in.
This goes along way with the crew.
-It has also been quite some time since we have had any apprenticeship postings.This is also appreciated by the employees.
-Looking forward to the changes Canfor will be bringing to our
plant!Will be nice to work in a modernized mill.
fast paced production of lumber
labourer (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC26 September 2015
management easy to get along with as long as you work hard and do what needs to be done...learn a variety of tasks and do them safely and efficiently...worked with a variety of characters that made it more interesting to go to work everyday...
Great atmosphere and always fun to socialize with friends while on breaks
Mill Worker (Current Employee) –  Bear Lake, AB31 May 2015
I really enjoy working at Canfor because of the good atmosphere. The four men are really polite and generous. The hardest part of working here is nothing really. What I enjoy most is working with the positive attitudes that the co-workers show.
Follow established policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and a fun workplace.
Maintenance Utility (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC14 March 2015
A typical day at work is completing safety awareness, focusing on our job and followed everyday work routine. I've learned lots of things like how to handle, operate and maintain machines in order for it to function properly. In management, I can say they are just and fair in handling employees and they cater to our needs and also I enjoyed working with my co-workers,they're fun to be with which makes our work lighter and easier. The hardest part of the job is when machine malfunctions and needs to be fixed and there is a target goal to be reached and also with the time pressure to get things done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are always ahead of time, production and everything.
Pros
Overtime and Free lunch or dinner
Cons
Unpaid working overtime hours if forgotten by supervisors.
Fantastic Company...would work for them at anytime
Shift Electrician (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC22 July 2014
They will treat you with respect
They listened to any concerns
They would help with any up-grading you may be qualified for
Co-workers seemed to ENJOY their jobs because they were treated with respect and were listened too
Pros
They company itself ..STABILITY....
Cons
Can't think of one...wish I was still working with them