Canfor

Canfor Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
terrible place for a welder (Fort St John)
welder (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: weekend shift
Cons: everything else
where to begin on this long list of flaws
DO NOT RELOCATE UNTIL THROUGH PROBATION
-first of all the equipment is terrible and outdated (doesnt even have enough duty cycle to gouge) and doesnt reflect on jobs taking longer
-if you have any sort of pride in your welding be sure you can throw it out the window as doing a good job "takes to long" so be prepared to scab out to the max
-no sense of guidance for people new to industry but are expected to produce as much as a person whos been there for years
-spark watch takes off for hours at a time (not able to cut grind weld etc without their presence) also reflects your work abilities
-Cant trust many people as far as you can throw them
-the superintendant looks at your list and determines himself with no knowledge of what the job entails how MANY things you should be able to get done in a day
-as well as no other welders to show you the ropes
I GAVE UP MY LIFE TO RELOCATE FOR THIS JOB TO BE LET GO NOT FOR SLACKING BUT DUE TO ALL THE FLAWS THIS MILL HAD WITH EVERYTHING I WAS DETERMINED TO BE NOT A RIGHT FIT NOW MY FAMILY IS ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT BECAUSE OF THIS COMPANY. THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN LET GO FOR THIS REASON IN MY 8 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A WELDER.
poor
Shift millwright (Former Employee), Mackenzie, BCOctober 19, 2015
Pros: good wage/ benafits package
Cons: maintenance supers motto " my right to manage and your right to greive."
Current team leader prefers to use sub-contract skilled labour so he can bully workers. Typical day was pretty much as expected for sawmill / planer mill shift millwright. The hardest part of the job is obtaining the proper parts to complete repairs. most ebjoyable part of the job is working with a good crew of workers.
fast paced production of lumber
labourer (Former Employee), Vanderhoof, BCSeptember 26, 2015
management easy to get along with as long as you work hard and do what needs to be done...learn a variety of tasks and do them safely and efficiently...worked with a variety of characters that made it more interesting to go to work everyday...
good job
Millwright (Former Employee), Fort Nelson, BCAugust 15, 2015
supportave management good co workers learned alot from older tradesmen working in the cold sucked when it had to happen the mill is closed down
Great atmosphere and always fun to socialize with friends while on breaks
Mill Worker (Current Employee), Bear Lake, ABMay 31, 2015
I really enjoy working at Canfor because of the good atmosphere. The four men are really polite and generous. The hardest part of working here is nothing really. What I enjoy most is working with the positive attitudes that the co-workers show.
Productive and Safe work environment
OPERATOR (Former Employee), Vanderhoof BCMay 8, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: risk of fires
My day started off with cleaning the lumber decks off from debris, that consisted of using a long pike pole to grab the pieces and throw them down the chipper belt. After that I would wait and watch the monitors for lumber to cross into B mill where I was located. After that I watched the lumber flow on both sides making sure one trimmer didn't get to much lumber. That was job there. After so long I won the bidding for Stacker operator and was getting trained on that, because of family issues I was obligated to quit my job at Canfor and get my family straightened out. I learned how to lock out equipment, test it and make sure it is safe, I learned how to be productive and work at a fast pace. At Canfor I learned to become a team and work well with others getting the job done more efficiently and safely. The hardest part of my job was clearing cross ups. The most enjoyable part was knowing i had a job for life and loved what i was doing and worked hard at it.
Easy work
Clean up Crew (Current Employee), Fort St John, BCMay 6, 2015
Pros: Not pressed for time
Cons: Benifit packages
It is a easy company to get to know and they train you for the positions. Easy to move up in the company. The company is union and you can get further education within the company
Ok place to work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee), Canal Flats, BCMarch 24, 2015
Like the hard work enviorment.
Learned how to work with many different people.
Had a couple of great supervisors.
Fantastic co-workers. love meeting new people.
The odd rough day was hard with break downs.
Great co-workers.
Follow established policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and a fun workplace.
Maintenance Utility (Current Employee), Chetwynd, BCMarch 14, 2015
Pros: overtime and free lunch or dinner
Cons: unpaid working overtime hours if forgotten by supervisors.
A typical day at work is completing safety awareness, focusing on our job and followed everyday work routine. I've learned lots of things like how to handle, operate and maintain machines in order for it to function properly. In management, I can say they are just and fair in handling employees and they cater to our needs and also I enjoyed working with my co-workers,they're fun to be with which makes our work lighter and easier. The hardest part of the job is when machine malfunctions and needs to be fixed and there is a target goal to be reached and also with the time pressure to get things done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are always ahead of time, production and everything.
Great work environment
Labourer (Former Employee), Chetwynd, BCJanuary 19, 2015
Awesome place to work the crews were awesome very productive and friendly place to work.
A family life is possible
Sawmill Worker (Former Employee), BCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: routine
Cons: repetious
a good steady schedule lifestyle, you may not make the great money like in the oilfield but it is hard to beat a steady schedule if you want to have a family life.
Management shows a lot of favouritism but then again what employor doesn't these day.
Canfor Isle Pierre
Production Job (Current Employee), Prince George, BCAugust 21, 2014
Pros: it is a job
Cons: bus ride, horrible highway in winter, high turn over in employees; lack training and respect employees, unreasonable pressures on employees, management downloading responsible on employees, bosses dont manage
I have been there 30 years. I have seen many changes. It was a good place to work at at one time. I have had 6 bosses in 5 years. That all think they are better than their employees. You can't be a successful company if not for your employees. Bosses and employees play games against each other. Not a very good environment to work it. Lots of pressures on employees and no resources. Every employee doing a job half.
Employees get hurt on the job and the company don't take responsibility for there actions.
You dont want to do a job where you are vulnerable because of age. I recommend that young employees get a education. And not work here. Canfor is better at other operation I hear. The fiber and log size is falling. This mill will be closed one day.
Fantastic Company...would work for them at anytime
Shift Electrician (Former Employee), Quesnel, BCJuly 22, 2014
Pros: they company itself ..stability....
Cons: can't think of one...wish i was still working with them
They will treat you with respect
They listened to any concerns
They would help with any up-grading you may be qualified for
Co-workers seemed to ENJOY their jobs because they were treated with respect and were listened too
enjoyed working there
Logging Truck Driver (Former Employee), Quesnel, BCMarch 25, 2014
Enjoyed going to work there and working with Management and coworkers. learned to drive trucks and operate all kinds of equipment from bobcats to wheel loaders and high lifts.
Canfor would be a perfect place to work if i could get a full-time position
Industrial Work Experience (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 1, 2014
Pros: four day weeks 10 hours a day
Cons: not a permanent position
In my one month training experience at Canfor I learned far more than I have in a month anywhere else. I worked on a variety of projects from pouring concrete to building cabinets, and recieved countless certifications including: WHIMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Fall Protection, Overhead Crane, Boomlift & Scissorlift Operation and filling of propane.
decent place to work
forklift and load fixer (Former Employee), Houston, BCJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: 10 hour days, 3 day weekends
Cons: driving to houston
was good, decent money and steady work. driving everyday wasn't fun though from telkwa.
Millwright
Millwright for sawmill (Current Employee), Conway, SCOctober 10, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Chains, Sprockets, Gearboxes, shive, pully, cutting, welding, fabrication
Productive environment where we were kept busy
Dryer Operator, Veneer Grader (Former Employee), Fort Nelson, BCSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: long hours, great pay
Cons: working with some lazy workers who were in union longer
feeding veneer through dryers to exract the sap from the wood.
cleaning out of dryers in case of plug ups.

Clean ups, Grading veneer.
Lots of Overtime
Electrician (Current Employee), HoustonSeptember 11, 2013
Fast paced environment minimal time to maintain equipment. Very unorganized job planning. Freedom to choose your own projects. Overtime is endless as there is always something to repair or improve.
Production becomes before safety
Labourer (Former Employee), Houston, BCJuly 29, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: long hours, dangerous, very unappreciated work
There was absolutely no enjoyable aspect to working for this company, other than the wages and benefits. They stress safety when you are in the hiring process, but as soon as you step foot on the production floors, the safety goes out the window. Production numbers come before human safety. Seniority only works in your favor if you are on good terms with your supervisor, if you are not in their favorite books, be prepared to get the worst, and hardest jobs in the mill, even if your a dedicated hard worker. In one single month, my good friend had his right leg completely crushed by a 900 pound role of paper, and in the same month a mill wright had his fingers cut off in the planer, as a foreman stood and watched the mill wright working in an unsafe environment, but did not stop the mill wright until it was to late.
Industry