Canfor Employee Reviews in Canada

Okay place
Buyer\Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vavenby, BCFebruary 2, 2016
Opportunity for advancement if you are so inclined,wages and benefit package are great. Each day is different\presenting challenges
fast paced production of lumber
labourer (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BCSeptember 26, 2015
management easy to get along with as long as you work hard and do what needs to be done...learn a variety of tasks and do them safely and efficiently...worked with a variety of characters that made it more interesting to go to work everyday...
terrible place for a welder (Fort St John)
welder (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCJanuary 24, 2016
where to begin on this long list of flaws
DO NOT RELOCATE UNTIL THROUGH PROBATION
-first of all the equipment is terrible and outdated (doesnt even have enough duty cycle to gouge) and doesnt reflect on jobs taking longer
-if you have any sort of pride in your welding be sure you can throw it out the window as doing a good job "takes to long" so be prepared to scab out to the max
-no sense of guidance for people new to industry but are expected to produce as much as a person whos been there for years
-spark watch takes off for hours at a time (not able to cut grind weld etc without their presence) also reflects your work abilities
-Cant trust many people as far as you can throw them
-the superintendant looks at your list and determines himself with no knowledge of what the job entails how MANY things you should be able to get done in a day
-as well as no other welders to show you the ropes
I GAVE UP MY LIFE TO RELOCATE FOR THIS JOB TO BE LET GO NOT FOR SLACKING BUT DUE TO ALL THE FLAWS THIS MILL HAD WITH EVERYTHING I WAS DETERMINED TO BE NOT A RIGHT FIT NOW MY FAMILY IS ABOUT TO GO BANKRUPT BECAUSE OF THIS COMPANY. THIS IS ALSO THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN LET GO FOR THIS REASON IN MY 8 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A WELDER.
Pros
weekend shift
Cons
everything else
Challenging and productive workplace.
maintainence electrician/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCMarch 3, 2016
A typical day involves preparing the mill for startup and keeping it operational until it shut down at midnight.
The most challenging part of the job was troubleshooting while the mill was stopped and the pressure was on to get it running quickly.
It was rewarding to be valued for my skills.
Great stepping stone in Mackenzie
Shift Millwright/Safety Rep (Current Employee) –  Mackenzie, BCApril 13, 2016
Great people to work with daily, usually runs very good, modern mill that has been rebuilt in last 2 years. Some supervisor bully to get things done which makes it a difficult atmosphere.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
frustrating to deal with same issues day after day
Great co-workers! Challenging with a young family.
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BCFebruary 17, 2016
Decent wages. My coworkers are a great team! I found it difficult coordinating life with young children when I started my family. I enjoyed data collecting to ensure a quality product was brought to customers globally. I enjoyed working in the quality control department.
poor
Shift millwright (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BCOctober 19, 2015
Current team leader prefers to use sub-contract skilled labour so he can bully workers. Typical day was pretty much as expected for sawmill / planer mill shift millwright. The hardest part of the job is obtaining the proper parts to complete repairs. most ebjoyable part of the job is working with a good crew of workers.
Pros
good wage/ benafits package
Cons
maintenance supers motto " my right to manage and your right to greive."
Follow established policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and a fun workplace.
Maintenance Utility (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCMarch 14, 2015
A typical day at work is completing safety awareness, focusing on our job and followed everyday work routine. I've learned lots of things like how to handle, operate and maintain machines in order for it to function properly. In management, I can say they are just and fair in handling employees and they cater to our needs and also I enjoyed working with my co-workers,they're fun to be with which makes our work lighter and easier. The hardest part of the job is when machine malfunctions and needs to be fixed and there is a target goal to be reached and also with the time pressure to get things done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are always ahead of time, production and everything.
Pros
overtime and free lunch or dinner
Cons
unpaid working overtime hours if forgotten by supervisors.
Production becomes before safety
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Houston, BCJuly 29, 2013
There was absolutely no enjoyable aspect to working for this company, other than the wages and benefits. They stress safety when you are in the hiring process, but as soon as you step foot on the production floors, the safety goes out the window. Production numbers come before human safety. Seniority only works in your favor if you are on good terms with your supervisor, if you are not in their favorite books, be prepared to get the worst, and hardest jobs in the mill, even if your a dedicated hard worker. In one single month, my good friend had his right leg completely crushed by a 900 pound role of paper, and in the same month a mill wright had his fingers cut off in the planer, as a foreman stood and watched the mill wright working in an unsafe environment, but did not stop the mill wright until it was to late.
Pros
money
Cons
long hours, dangerous, very unappreciated work
good job
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCAugust 15, 2015
supportave management good co workers learned alot from older tradesmen working in the cold sucked when it had to happen the mill is closed down
Productive and Safe work environment
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof BCMay 8, 2015
My day started off with cleaning the lumber decks off from debris, that consisted of using a long pike pole to grab the pieces and throw them down the chipper belt. After that I would wait and watch the monitors for lumber to cross into B mill where I was located. After that I watched the lumber flow on both sides making sure one trimmer didn't get to much lumber. That was job there. After so long I won the bidding for Stacker operator and was getting trained on that, because of family issues I was obligated to quit my job at Canfor and get my family straightened out. I learned how to lock out equipment, test it and make sure it is safe, I learned how to be productive and work at a fast pace. At Canfor I learned to become a team and work well with others getting the job done more efficiently and safely. The hardest part of my job was clearing cross ups. The most enjoyable part was knowing i had a job for life and loved what i was doing and worked hard at it.
Pros
everything
Cons
risk of fires
Canfor Isle Pierre
Production Job (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCAugust 21, 2014
I have been there 30 years. I have seen many changes. It was a good place to work at at one time. I have had 6 bosses in 5 years. That all think they are better than their employees. You can't be a successful company if not for your employees. Bosses and employees play games against each other. Not a very good environment to work it. Lots of pressures on employees and no resources. Every employee doing a job half.
Employees get hurt on the job and the company don't take responsibility for there actions.
You dont want to do a job where you are vulnerable because of age. I recommend that young employees get a education. And not work here. Canfor is better at other operation I hear. The fiber and log size is falling. This mill will be closed one day.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
bus ride, horrible highway in winter, high turn over in employees; lack training and respect employees, unreasonable pressures on employees, management downloading responsible on employees, bosses dont manage
A family life is possible
Sawmill Worker (Former Employee) –  BCJanuary 14, 2015
a good steady schedule lifestyle, you may not make the great money like in the oilfield but it is hard to beat a steady schedule if you want to have a family life.
Management shows a lot of favouritism but then again what employor doesn't these day.
Pros
routine
Cons
repetious
Great atmosphere and always fun to socialize with friends while on breaks
Mill Worker (Current Employee) –  Bear Lake, ABMay 31, 2015
I really enjoy working at Canfor because of the good atmosphere. The four men are really polite and generous. The hardest part of working here is nothing really. What I enjoy most is working with the positive attitudes that the co-workers show.
Easy work
Clean up Crew (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMay 6, 2015
It is a easy company to get to know and they train you for the positions. Easy to move up in the company. The company is union and you can get further education within the company
Pros
Not pressed for time
Cons
Benifit packages
Ok place to work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Canal Flats, BCMarch 24, 2015
Like the hard work enviorment.
Learned how to work with many different people.
Had a couple of great supervisors.
Fantastic co-workers. love meeting new people.
The odd rough day was hard with break downs.
Great co-workers.
Enjoy going to work,very productive days,great group of guys to work with
Welder (Current Employee) –  Elko, BCSeptember 29, 2012
Morning meeting-go over production numbers,what another record!haha.Go over safety,receive work orders,get to work.
-Throughout 24 years it has been quite some time since Crestbrook and Tembec have had any accountability.Since the take over by Canfor this has been put in place and enforced,the employees now know they will be accountable.Great job by our Plant manager bringing this along.
-Maintenance superintenant-very personable,some 12 hr days put in.
This goes along way with the crew.
-It has also been quite some time since we have had any apprenticeship postings.This is also appreciated by the employees.
-Looking forward to the changes Canfor will be bringing to our
plant!Will be nice to work in a modernized mill.
Productive environment where we were kept busy
Dryer Operator, Veneer Grader (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCSeptember 23, 2013
feeding veneer through dryers to exract the sap from the wood.
cleaning out of dryers in case of plug ups.

Clean ups, Grading veneer.
Pros
long hours, great pay
Cons
working with some lazy workers who were in union longer
good overall place to work
Buyer/Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCJanuary 31, 2013
Sawmill - Industrial Environment. Warehouse conditions. 1 person handles bothe warehouse ordering and stocking, shipping and receiving.
Pros
great hours and benefits
Cons
location - living i the north - cold climate
enjoyed working there
Logging Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BCMarch 25, 2014
Enjoyed going to work there and working with Management and coworkers. learned to drive trucks and operate all kinds of equipment from bobcats to wheel loaders and high lifts.