Candu Energy

Candu Energy Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Always worried about your job
Technician (Former Employee), mississaugaNovember 12, 2013
Upper management never knows what is going on .The Nuclear Industry in Canada is in trouble with these guys running Candu
Former Employee (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 21, 2013
Candu Energy recently transitioned from AECL and they continue on a journey of change management.
Rewarding place to work with regular social events
Document Control Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint John, NBApril 2, 2013
Pros: great team to work with
Cons: you would have to relocate to continue career
This was an excellent place to work with great benefits package.
good line of work
Retube Tech, ROC Shift Lead (Former Employee), Lepreau, NBJanuary 10, 2013
very interesting work and lots of exposure to mechanical systems
Excellent job-changing from day to day-met lots of new friends.
Work Authorization Lead (Former Employee), Lepreau, NBDecember 18, 2012
Pros: close to home-lots of free meals-weekly pay
Cons: long hours
Each day started with meetings-then to the site to co-ordinate work progression-paperwork-pre-jobs-meet foreman-then afternoon meetings to turnover to nightshift on a 24/7-365 day a year nuclear refurbishment.
Programming
Control Systems - Electrical Technologist (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJuly 24, 2012
Pros: free dinners with overtime, good working environment, not micromanaged
Cons: sometimes there would be long hours, when working with services fast deadlines
The work was project driven. I would get an assignment from my supervisor to program/modify a tool or Human Machine Interface system (HMI).

The majority of the work I did was what I went to school for. I programmed PLC's (Siemens and Schneider Electric) as well as modified HMI systems (WinCC Flexible and Iconics).

My main interaction with management – more... was my supervisor and he and I were on excellent terms. There were times we had argued about systems but it was a good working relationship.

The hardest part of the job was keeping with the deadlines. Not much time was ever given to the electrical side of the tools, so sometimes it was hard to keep with the schedule when problems were occurring in the program for an unknown reason. Some late nights were needed in order to get the tool done in a reasonable time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when you would get the tool operating the way the owner wanted it to work. The tool wouldn't be release for site unless it could perform flawlessly. – less
Technical Customer Service
Pros: free dinners with overtime, good working environment, not micromanaged
The work was project based and ranged from building a full test system to programming tools and systems that would be used at site.

I learned the entire process of building a full system. I would first estimate on how long the job would take and the budget I would need to complete the job. I would then talk to the suppliers and get quotes for the parts – more... needed and order them with help from the procurement department. Once the parts arrived, I would then build the tool or test system, calibrate the devices, commission the tool or systems, then hand it over to the engineer who requested it.

My co-workers were very pleasant to work with. They were very knowledgeable people who worked hard and were fun to work with.

The hardest part of the job was the budget and the deadlines. By the time the job finally got to me, it was already behind schedule and over-budget. I would not compromise on the parts that were bought so some late nights in order to get the job done on time was needed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the job was at the end of the job. A sense of pride always came over me when I saw the tool or system work. There would be a few bugs and some changes the engineer who was using the tool would want, but overall the system would work as specified. – less
New Company, so no set plan
HR (Current Employee), MississuagaJune 29, 2012
Company is great but no plans, no procedures and no processes. Kind of lost where they are heading into.