CANARIE designs, delivers, and drives the adoption of digital infrastructure for Canada’s research and education communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy. CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Working as part of a dynamic team on cutting edge technology, the Software Integration Developer evaluates third party Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) technologies and integrates these technologies into science platform middleware. Where no suitable technologies exist, the Software Integration Developer designs and develops the missing components.
The Network-Enabled Platforms program supports the development of innovative software research platforms that support enhanced access to research data and tools, and while increasing national and global research collaboration. The program enables the creation of innovative research applications and services, and provides an opportunity to work with researchers from across Canada and internationally on the very latest in technology and projects.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Software Integration Developer will be responsible for the following:
- Building and consistently improving science platform software components
- Evaluating, testing and recommending Software-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) technologies
- Integrating the management and service components of the science platform
- Working effectively with development and support peers in a multisite development environment
- Participating in feature development from definition through customer use
- Researching and evaluating new technologies for possible inclusion in the science platform
- Contributing to the development of best practices
The successful candidate will have the following education, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or significant equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years working experience in application/middleware design and development, particularly for Linux targets
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to learn new platforms and technologies quickly
- Strong interest in advanced computing technology
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills in English; Bilingualism an asset
Experience with the following is desired:
- Knowledge of SOA and ESB technology, architecture and deployment.
- Experience with web services development – familiar with some of: SOAP, XML, AJAX, JSON, REST
- Experience in Agile development and cloud computing are assets
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.