Position Title: Software Developer
Reports to: Chief Engineer
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE is Canada’s Advanced Research and Innovation Network, a dedicated high-speed fibre-optic network that stretches 19,000 km across Canada and links researchers and innovators throughout Canada and around the world. In addition to the network, CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Software Developer will be responsible for developing innovative and interactive web-based network tools to support the day-to-day operation of the CANARIE network. A subset of the tools will become self-help tools to support user needs. The Senior Software Developer works closely with the CANARIE engineering team to define specifications of the tools and makes recommendations on the use of new and emerging technologies. Programming, GUI design and database administration are all required elements of this position.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Software Developer will be responsible for the following, but not limited to:
- Coordinate, manage and execute projects, as assigned, track major developments, and revise deadlines, as appropriate.
- Identify application requirement, and provide recommendations based on current web technologies.
- Plan, develop, and implement complex interactive web-based network tools to support the operation of the CANARIE network.
- Work closely with the CANARIE engineering team and other staffs to both develop detailed project plans and specification documents with clear project deliverables and timelines, and ensure timely completion of deliverables.
- Produce project estimates including expertise required, total number of people required, total number of development hours required, etc.
- Develop, build and/or refine graphical interfaces of existing websites.
- Convert raw measurement data into graphical interfaces using latest web development techniques
- Understand existing monitoring systems, and integrate them into a single management platform as appropriate
- Be actively involved in and contribute regularly to the open-source community
- Contribute to the development of best practices
The successful candidate will have the following education, skill and abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or significant equivalent experience
- 6-8 years working experience in both application design and development
- 3 years minimum experience in project management
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Proven experience in user interface design
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Working knowledge of TCPIP and network management applications and tools is definitely an asset
- Strong interest in advanced networking technology
- Experience with Open Source software, especially as a contributor
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested in the title of your email. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 22 months ago
- 7 hours ago
dominKnow Learning Systems
- 3 days ago
- 17 days ago
CANARIE is Canada's advanced Internet organization, a not-for-profit corporation that facilitates the development and use of next-generation...