Position Title: Senior Director - Business Development
Reports to: Vice-President Marketing
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE is Canada’s Advanced Research and Innovation Network, a dedicated high-speed fibre-optic network that stretches 19,000 km across Canada and links researchers and innovators throughout Canada and around the world. In addition to the network, CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
The Senior Director, Business Development is responsible for creating and developing relationships with senior representatives of CANARIE’s stakeholder groups, including our provincial and territorial network partners, international network partners, and Chief Information Officers and Vice Presidents, Research at Canadian universities. These relationships will inform the development of an extended suite of CANARIE services targeted at the higher education community. The Senior Director, Business Development will be responsible for the overarching value proposition for this suite of services, including identifying services to be offered and how they will be packaged, marketed, and priced.
The Senior Director, Business Development will also leverage these relationships to identify and develop business opportunities for CANARIE’s existing portfolio of services. The Senior Director, Business Development will be responsible for lead generation, development of existing relationships, effective communication of value propositions related to each CANARIE service, securing new and retaining existing memberships, and closing of new business. Initially, the services the Senior Director, Business Development will be promoting are the Canadian Access Federation (CAF) and the Digital Accelerator for Innovation and Research (DAIR) services.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Business Development will build market position by locating, defining, developing, negotiating and closing business relationships. In addition, they will have the following responsibilities:
- Developing an overarching strategy for new and existing CANARIE services, including identification of services to be offered, method of delivery, marketing approach, and pricing.
- Preparing an annual Business Development Plan for the suite of services, working closely with the marketing team and program managers responsible for each service (program managers for CAF and DAIR only);
- Development of relationships with senior leaders among CANARIE’s partner and stakeholder groups, in order to create a richer understanding of our market that will support the development of a strong value proposition for CANARIE services
- Creating and implementing business development strategies for each CANARIE service, based on an understanding of users’ requirements and needs;
- Managing the sales cycle through to close of business;
- Identifying new service opportunities through the collection and analysis of target market user needs;
- Providing ongoing market feedback through current market data, including international benchmarking, to marketing and program management teams with a goal of continuous improvement of CANARIE messaging and service delivery;
- Planning and preparing presentations, workshops, and road shows; and
- Participating in conferences and events as required.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, self-starter who is an excellent team player and who is comfortable dealing with executive-level decision-makers. In addition, the candidate will meet the following requirements:
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training;
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in a business development role, preferably in the high-tech sector;
- Proven ability to create and sustain relationships with senior-level decision-makers;
- Ability to tailor business development approach according to the needs of the specific audience;
- Ability to create and sustain productive relationships with a wide range of individuals in the higher education, research and information and communications technology (ICT) sector;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner and to work well within a team environment;
- Excellent grasp of industry trends which will become the basis for strategic planning and forecasting;
- Ability to travel domestically;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with strong presentations skills;
- Product Management experience will be considered a strong asset;
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset;
- Competence with Microsoft Office 10 (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint); and
- Excellent consultative, analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested in the title of your email. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.