Reports to: Chief Engineer
Job Status: Full Time/Permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE designs, delivers, and drives the adoption of digital infrastructure for Canada’s research and education communities. CANARIE keeps Canada at the forefront of digital research and innovation, fundamental to a vibrant digital economy. CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Working as part of a dynamic team and reporting to the Chief Engineer, the Network Engineer provides operational support of the CANARIE network, assist senior network engineers in network design, build and implementation of network services on the CANARIE network. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, optimizing, and supporting all network connections according to service descriptions and policies.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Network Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Plan and implement any improvement, modification, or replacement of network infrastructure components.
- Conduct research and recommend network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Perform tests to validate new products and network service solutions.
- Interact with equipment vendors to research product information and features.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and associated training for network resource administration and appropriate use.
- Monitor and analyze network capacity and performance across the CANARIE network.
- Ensure the stable operation and efficient performance of the CANARIE network.
- Identify, document and remedy network problems and performance bottlenecks.
- Install and configure network hardware, including routers, switches in support of IP services.
- Provide 24 x 7 on-call support.
- Contribute to the development of best practices.
- Degree in Engineering or significant equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years working experience in managing IP network
- Good understanding in the areas of network design, operation and monitoring
- Good knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as Ethernet, IP and MPLS protocols
- Working knowledge of Switching and Routing: VLAN, STP, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, and QoS
- Working experience of Juniper (JUNOS) platforms routers/switches
- Skilled at installing/configuring/updating switches, routers
- Technical knowledge of optical technologies like SONET, DWDM and OTN is an asset
- Working knowledge of network management and analysis tools is an asset
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills; Bilingualism an asset
- On-call availability
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines or to solve operational critical issues
- Participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management
- Adaptive to shifting priorities and unplanned activities
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested. We thank all applicants; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANARIE designs and delivers digital infrastructure and drives its adoption for Canada's research, education and innovation communities....