Position Title: Information Technology Manager
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Downtown Ottawa
CANARIE is Canada’s Advanced Research and Innovation Network, a dedicated high-speed fibre-optic network that stretches 19,000 km across Canada and links researchers and innovators throughout Canada and around the world. In addition to the network, CANARIE funds programs and tools that promote the evolution of a leading-edge digital infrastructure supporting Canadian researchers and innovators, fostering a growing, competitive, knowledge-based Canadian economy. CANARIE is a non-profit corporation supported by membership fees, with major funding of its programs and activities provided by the Government of Canada.
The work environment at CANARIE is dynamic, with a small team of positive, energetic and committed individuals evolving and leveraging the CANARIE network and associated programs using cutting-edge technologies and highly collaborative processes. Given that CANARIE works at the nexus of two rapidly changing environments – research and technology – it is critical that team members demonstrate an appetite for new challenges and an ability to embrace and respond to change.
Manage the design, deployment and maintenance of Information Technology (IT) systems. This role is accountable for strengthening operational effectiveness, while demostrating leadership, through the use of IT. This includes internal IT management, as well as an outward focus and engagement with the CANARIE stakeholder community.
The role will constanly drive innovation by recommending and implementing tools which increase productivity and enhance outward facing interface.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Manage the design, deployment and maintenance of information systems, data processing systems and procedures for CANARIE. This includes but not limited to critical business applications, databases, network administration, application programming, web design and user support throughout the organization.
- Interact and coordinate with external stakeholders to meet organizational objectives.
- Analyze user needs and establish policies and procedures for CANARIE IT systems.
- Provide current information to users regarding systems procedures; lead and participate in planning for future CANARIE information technology needs.
- Overall responsibility for security policies and proceduces.
- Responsibility for management of equipment budgets; includes: monitoring IT expenditures and assets, and reallocating resources as required.
- Establish, manage and supervise contracts for consulting resources to supplement internal resources. Manage and monitor performance of any consulting services.
- Perform conduct cost/benefit analyses and present to senior management for approval
The successful candidate will be an energetic, self-starter who is an excellent team player. In addition, they will meet the following requirements:
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training.
- 5-10 years of progressive experience in a related role.
- Project management skills.
- Management experience.
- Experience with the following:
o Desktop software (Macs and PCs), VMware, SharePoint, SQL Databases, etc.
How to Apply
Please send your expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position in which you’re interested in the title of your email. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.