Canadian Western Bank Employee Reviews

Rewarding and challenging place to work. Small but large
Manager Retail Banking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Canadian Western Bank 2009-2016 was a great place to work hard and get recognized. Its small enough to get noticed and large enough to move forward in your career. I noticed some negative reviews but you can never please everyone. I found that if you want to show up just in time and leave right on time and do the minimum you can get by and nothing more would be expected of you. However if you wanted to give more you could still have a great work life balance and get noticed for your extra efforts. In my career(s) this is by far the best place I worked. You might be asking then why are you no longer there? An unsolicited offer for a new challenge came along at an equally great company or I would still be happily giving my all for a fantastic company. I know they are currently struggling with a change in core banking solutions and with the economy but I say its a great place to be now and in the future.
Pros
Best benifits ever
Cons
Smaller so hard to innovate products or take risks
Not for everyone
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Had an established reputation as being 'people' centric and in the list of Canada's top employers. Unfortunately, this is no longer true and CWB has lost its way from a people perspective. The culture is now one of 'CYA' and an 'old boys club' mentality. Innovation, new ideas and fresh perspectives are not valued. Although they talk about 'what got us here will not get us there', they seem to operate quite differently in that change is highly resisted.

Not sure CWB can keep pace with competitors as it is simply not agile and or sufficiently innovative.
Pros
Some good people work here who still have heart
Cons
Continue to rely upon old methods which is impeding progression, Salaries are not on par with industry, Low accountability and Poor morale, IT is not business centric and impedes efficiency, 'New' HR is more administrative than 'people' focused
Need to be versatile
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 July 2016
All the are teams needed to be able to multitask. Tight dead lines and team meetings, presentations kept us busy. The job itself trained me in may new things.
canadian western bank - great work place
Full time Sales and Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 June 2016
I enjoyed the challenges and the everyday work at CWB. I met alot of great staffs and clients in my relatively short time working there. i would reccommend a job at a bank to someone who wants good hours, decent pay, and a bit of a challenge.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
location
Great Place to work...if you can get in!!
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Unanimous29 May 2016
Focusing on Business relationships, CWB is a great place to work. Relatively flat in structure, management is very supportive in education and career training. It is difficult to get into, as the staff are relatively seasoned...no one leaves and there is a reason for that!! Wages and Benefits are excellent as well. Highly recommended!
Good
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
This was a good experience working in different aspects of a Financial institution.
I had different administrative duties also worked with other sections in the Department.
Solid company with decent career advancement
Assistant Vice-President & Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 February 2016
I managed a team of 6 direct reports and 3 in-direct reports. My responsibilities ranged from a large emphasis on sales and prospecting, to underwriting some larger deals, and adjudicating commercial lending deals. In addition, hiring, coaching, mentoring was a crucial part of my day and time. We had a tight knit group that worked cohesively together.
Pros
work life balance, flexible, great for a young family.
Cons
a chancing culture.
CWB is really good place to work at.
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2015
On a typical day at work, I used to build new reports with Microsoft SSRS tool or work with data migration team to help migrating data. I have learnt building reports, maintaining database, stored procedures, views and data migration processes.
Fun, supportive, and productive environment to work
ARIS Business Process Architect/ Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2014
A typical day passes quickly due to the work at hand and the work atmosphere.
Pros
Frequent team get togethers (both social & work related)
Cons
Deliverable expectations can be very aggressive at times.
CWB is a good company to work for.
Senior Manager of Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB1 May 2014
I enjoyed my time at CWB, mostly the day to day dealings with clients and staff.
Company that values employee very highly
Treasury Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2014
Good company that values employee very highly. Culture is the core value of the company.
CWB is a very enjoyable place to work. They have a lot of incentives to suceed.
Retail Seerice Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2013
Throughout the year we would have several campaigns , for example, which team could sell the most Master Cards. The winning team might win a gift card or a day off with pay. This made for a very competitive environment but we all enjoyed it. They often supplied a Pizza lunch for the entire branch. Win or lose. Each year we enjoyed a potluck lunch and a catered luncheon for Christmas.They raised money for the Christmas Bureau and I participated in the shopping, assembling and delivering of the baskets. There were many more activities throughout the year that made CWB an enjoyable place to work.
Working experiance with Canadian Western bank, Vancouver.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver24 April 2013
CWB Mobile Banking Application for smartphones is the most user friendly and security guarantee application that can be used by personal and business banking customers of CWB Bank. Using the CWB Mobile App customer can Access their personal or small business banking accounts, check their account balances, pay bills, transfer funds and locate CWB branches and record insurance information in an accident.It is a nice experience working with Great organization like Canadian western bank. I worked individual by interacting with technical and non technical people in the company to document all project requirement documents, created master test plan, test strategy, identified test cases and created test cases. I performed both manual and automation tests.
Prouductive and nice place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton3 February 2013
Surrounded by good natural scenes
Nice atomos
Good Management
Fun Working Here
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta9 January 2013
Learned so many things
good working place
BRD and QA was amazing part to work here
Pros
good salary
Cons
long hours to work
Easy Going, Team work
Assistant Mgr Retail Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta5 July 2012
Canadian Western Bank was an excellent place to work. I started there in October of 2009, and left at the end of January 2012. I gained so much knowledge from my branch, not only through my job, but from my co-workers. I had a great team to work with and an outstanding supervisor. My supervisor saw so much potential in me and really helped me to excel in every direction possible. We had a good work environment, everyone got along very well, and it was very easy going. Work was fast paced at times, but nothing our front line team could not handle. I would most definitely recommend them to anyone looking to go into the world of banking. Always room for advancement and they are part of the 50 best employers in Canada and it is very well deserved!
Pros
breakfasts every friday, team building outings, lunches, fundraisers, etc.
Cons
some negative co-workers..

4.2