Canadian Western Bank Employee Reviews

Great Life Balance - poor career opportunities
Senior AVP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton alberta23 May 2017
title says it all - good place to build a starting career or to slow down for a bit to raise a family but future career path is limited given scope of the current business.
Great place to work and seems to give a lot of advancement opportunity to those that go over and above
Account Manager, Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
CWB has been a great place to work over the past 6 years. I have enjoyed the opportunities that have been provided to me within the organization and the movement that I have been able to achieve within my time here. I feel as though managers do not actively work with their direct reports to build a plan for future career advancement, but feel as if you are a self driven person, you are able to advance very quickly.
Management seems to be more focused on the goals of the overall organization and less focused on individuals. There have been a lot of great initiatives released in the past 6 years, but I think there is a long way to go in order for CWB to provide their employees and customers with the best options for everyday banking needs. There is still more of a focus on Commercial Banking clients, and I think that Retail Banking clients do not necessarily get the best because of this focus.
The benefits package that is provided by CWB is exceptional. Other institutions that I have worked with in the past, or have friends/family working with currently do not compare to the health/dental benefits package. The current pay that is provided to staff seems below average within the industry, but overall benefits package makes up for this to an extent.
I see that there is sometimes a divide between our Corporate Office staff and our Branch staff. This needs to be addressed before it becomes a larger issue. We are all working for the same end goal and that needs to be encouraged from both directions. If we are divided, then we cannot work together in order to serve our customers
  more... the best!  less
Pros
Benefits package, people and clear focus for the future
Cons
Pay, need to be self driven in order to advance
Good place to start
Loans Officer/ CSR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2017
Its a small bank but gives a good learning opportunity and to get started in the financial industry. Culture is not so great and too much internal politics.
Productivity, responsability and strong relationships with clients is the key to success of the company
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2017
Here is a friendly team and being here is a pleasure to work and to learn more. Working here, helped me to know better banking transactions as: certified cheques, bank drafts, payments, transfers, etc.
Management and organization part has a high level . It is difficult for me to say what is hard because the work is very organized and it is no obstacle to do your job.
I enjoy to be part of this team.
Great training and resource material
Receptionist & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 March 2017
Steady challenging work with a great group of people. Not your typical Bankers. Everyone was friendly and worked as a team. Great work life balance with exceptional benefits and perks. Great staff parties.
Pros
Great benifits, lots of holidays
Cons
limited career growth in remote locatons
Great place to work - a fair employer.
Senior Manager, Commercial Banking (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 February 2017
Resolve issues, service existing clients and generate new business. I learned to hone my negotiation skills, mentor junior staff and perform effective networking.
Rewarding and challenging place to work. Small but large
Manager Retail Banking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Canadian Western Bank 2009-2016 was a great place to work hard and get recognized. Its small enough to get noticed and large enough to move forward in your career. I noticed some negative reviews but you can never please everyone. I found that if you want to show up just in time and leave right on time and do the minimum you can get by and nothing more would be expected of you. However if you wanted to give more you could still have a great work life balance and get noticed for your extra efforts. In my career(s) this is by far the best place I worked. You might be asking then why are you no longer there? An unsolicited offer for a new challenge came along at an equally great company or I would still be happily giving my all for a fantastic company. I know they are currently struggling with a change in core banking solutions and with the economy but I say its a great place to be now and in the future.
Pros
Best benifits ever
Cons
Smaller so hard to innovate products or take risks
Not for everyone
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Had an established reputation as being 'people' centric and in the list of Canada's top employers. Unfortunately, this is no longer true and CWB has lost its way from a people perspective. The culture is now one of 'CYA' and an 'old boys club' mentality. Innovation, new ideas and fresh perspectives are not valued. Although they talk about 'what got us here will not get us there', they seem to operate quite differently in that change is highly resisted.

Not sure CWB can keep pace with competitors as it is simply not agile and or sufficiently innovative.
Pros
Some good people work here who still have heart
Cons
Continue to rely upon old methods which is impeding progression, Salaries are not on par with industry, Low accountability and Poor morale, IT is not business centric and impedes efficiency, 'New' HR is more administrative than 'people' focused
Need to be versatile
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 July 2016
All the are teams needed to be able to multitask. Tight dead lines and team meetings, presentations kept us busy. The job itself trained me in may new things.
canadian western bank - great work place
Full time Sales and Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 June 2016
I enjoyed the challenges and the everyday work at CWB. I met alot of great staffs and clients in my relatively short time working there. i would reccommend a job at a bank to someone who wants good hours, decent pay, and a bit of a challenge.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
location
Great Place to work...if you can get in!!
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Unanimous29 May 2016
Focusing on Business relationships, CWB is a great place to work. Relatively flat in structure, management is very supportive in education and career training. It is difficult to get into, as the staff are relatively seasoned...no one leaves and there is a reason for that!! Wages and Benefits are excellent as well. Highly recommended!
Good
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
This was a good experience working in different aspects of a Financial institution.
I had different administrative duties also worked with other sections in the Department.
Solid company with decent career advancement
Assistant Vice-President & Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 February 2016
I managed a team of 6 direct reports and 3 in-direct reports. My responsibilities ranged from a large emphasis on sales and prospecting, to underwriting some larger deals, and adjudicating commercial lending deals. In addition, hiring, coaching, mentoring was a crucial part of my day and time. We had a tight knit group that worked cohesively together.
Pros
work life balance, flexible, great for a young family.
Cons
a chancing culture.
CWB is really good place to work at.
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2015
On a typical day at work, I used to build new reports with Microsoft SSRS tool or work with data migration team to help migrating data. I have learnt building reports, maintaining database, stored procedures, views and data migration processes.
Fun, supportive, and productive environment to work
ARIS Business Process Architect/ Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2014
A typical day passes quickly due to the work at hand and the work atmosphere.
Pros
Frequent team get togethers (both social & work related)
Cons
Deliverable expectations can be very aggressive at times.
CWB is a good company to work for.
Senior Manager of Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB1 May 2014
I enjoyed my time at CWB, mostly the day to day dealings with clients and staff.
Company that values employee very highly
Treasury Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2014
Good company that values employee very highly. Culture is the core value of the company.
CWB is a very enjoyable place to work. They have a lot of incentives to suceed.
Retail Seerice Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2013
Throughout the year we would have several campaigns , for example, which team could sell the most Master Cards. The winning team might win a gift card or a day off with pay. This made for a very competitive environment but we all enjoyed it. They often supplied a Pizza lunch for the entire branch. Win or lose. Each year we enjoyed a potluck lunch and a catered luncheon for Christmas.They raised money for the Christmas Bureau and I participated in the shopping, assembling and delivering of the baskets. There were many more activities throughout the year that made CWB an enjoyable place to work.
Working experiance with Canadian Western bank, Vancouver.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver24 April 2013
CWB Mobile Banking Application for smartphones is the most user friendly and security guarantee application that can be used by personal and business banking customers of CWB Bank. Using the CWB Mobile App customer can Access their personal or small business banking accounts, check their account balances, pay bills, transfer funds and locate CWB branches and record insurance information in an accident.It is a nice experience working with Great organization like Canadian western bank. I worked individual by interacting with technical and non technical people in the company to document all project requirement documents, created master test plan, test strategy, identified test cases and created test cases. I performed both manual and automation tests.
Prouductive and nice place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton3 February 2013
Surrounded by good natural scenes
Nice atomos
Good Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Western Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2