Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

1.3K reviews

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad workplace with bad owner and management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brampton,ONJune 25, 2014
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: long hours, rude management, rude owner, no employee benifits
Canadian Tire is a bad place to work at, The management is strict and the owner is very rude. One day the owner gave me a warning for going to the bathroom. The other day my manager was yelling at me for buying a drink and my shift was done. I cant believe it . I have had stressful times at work. The hours feel very long and you are nothing but a slave at this place. I would say the job is not enjoyable after a couple of years or even months. You get no employee benefits even if you work for a long time. The coworkers are nice to talk to but the management and owner are very rude. They just care about making store profit . That is it! I would never recommend anyone working at Canadian Tire . It it better to take Canadian Tire off you list of jobs.
Fun Work place But Terrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 16, 2014
Pros: fun work palce, good hourly pay for retail.
Cons: terrible management, unorganized warehouse and broken equipment.
A great Starting place for Retail, fun working environment. Learned to deal with Nasty customers better since there were always some rude Customers, Learned only a little not much, already knew most of it.
Terrible Management, received little to no training, Managers don't help when you need it, even if you call them a hundred times on the radio, only some times they come to your aid, they are either standing around at the back warehouse talking or upstairs in their office.
Terrible Warehouse, Little organization and really messy. One of the hardest part of the job was going to the back to look for any item, it takes most of your time to even find the right place.
Broken/No equipments, makes job Harder.
I enjoy what I do at Canadian Tire but the wage does not reflect my responsibilities.
Office Clerk (Current Employee), Kamloops, BCOctober 27, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: the wage
A typical day at work is:

Balancing Daily Sales for each day for two stores. #355 & #356 (Aberdeen Canadian Tire & North Shore Canadian Tire). Entry into Sales Journal, data entry, answering the phone and transferring called to appropriate department. Obtaining reports from Costar for daily sales of Service Department. Going through Work Orders for any special charges, eg. Sublet Labour, Tire Warranties, Provincial Vehicle Inspections, House Charges, forwarding Work Orders to the Corporation for Fleet Accounts. I find my co-workers catty, really only one in particular. Very easy for this person to throw someone else under the bus. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the cattiness. The most enjoyable part of my job is my responsibilities.
Slightly Unprofessional Workplace
Renovation Crew (Former Employee), Trenton, OntarioJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: odd shift start times
After being hired I was not told a start date, I had to call numerous times to figure out what day my position was to begin. A group of us got hired for the same start date, none of us were given uniform requirements so we all showed up in different outfits and did not look like employees.
We were not actual Canadian Tire employees, we were a hired contract group to complete a renovation of the store.
Other than the 10 minute meeting every morning at the beginning of our shift we were completely unsupervised which caused a lot of the group to work slowly and be inefficient. The hardest part of the job was to complete our tasks efficiently because we never had the proper equipment to complete the tasks and would often have to wait numerous days for the equipment to arrive.
Department Manager
Seasonal Manager / Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee), Langford, bcJune 10, 2013
Pros: loved the staff, always work available, always new skills to learn
Cons: dishonest, poorly managed, unjustified lay-offs, lack of recruitment, never any staff
I managed the seasonal department. I started the year off with great staff, but they moved the 2 employees to other departments. I struggled to keep up with the work load with no support. The store manager was dishonest, and was fired due to theft involving a large sum of money.
The store struggled to understand that our store had increased in size, and yet they refused to hire and train staff to react to the growing business.
I enjoyed the people I worked with, however, the upper management failed to put the stores needs ahead of theirs. The owner was fooled many times due to his confidence in certain managers that had no experience building a team.
Fun and Fair workplace and The Best staff EVER
Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Sydney, NSOctober 29, 2012
Pros: staff is great ...full time benefits
Cons: merchandising taking a toll of my body
The Best part about working at CT is the workers....I would walk over water for each one of them. I wake up every morning excited about my job even after all these years because of them. I enjoy waiting on every customer because they are all different and being a woman working in a man's store has been very very challenging for sure. I would have both men and woman customers talk to someone young guy that maybe just started that day instead of me but that's alright because they really don't know how much knowledge I have learned throughout the years... After dealing with me time after time the same customers come looking for me now. The hardest part of my job is the merchandising is starting to take toll on my body after all the years.
Productive and Co-operative Workplace
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee), TorontoMarch 5, 2014
• Ensured that customers received outstanding service by providing a friendly environment
• Entering purchases into register, collecting payments and issuing receipts
• Processing merchandise returns and exchanges
• Resolving customer complaints and offering alternative solutions
• Answering customers’ questions and providing thorough clarification
• Identifying the products department and associated staff to resolve any price ambiguities
• Processed and replenished merchandise on a regular basis
• Monitoring floor stocks and updating price changes accordingly
• Temporarily worked in numerous departments throughout the years, thus very knowledgeable and familiar with a wide range of products
• Training new employees in Cash, Housewares and Hardware
Productive place with fun people
Back up to cash/customer service (Former Employee), Smithers, BCSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: told what to do in the am and was left alone to accomplish this until my day was done
Cons: some drama
A typical day at work was being told what aisles i will be working down and what i would be doing, as i had already worked at a Canadian Tire before this one i had the knowledge that i needed to do my job at the Smithers store without any further training. The management was good, knew what they were talking about.
Coworkers were very friendly, some drama throughout the co workers (which i was never involved in) but always some kind of job drama
Hardest part of the job was starting to redo an aisle and trying to finish it before my day was over
Most enjoyable part of my job was finishing an aisle and admiring it while my other co workers complimented it and myself for my hard work and dedication!
Comfortable and Personal
Customer Courtesy Desk / Cashier / Stock Person (Former Employee), Niagara FallsSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits, able to move from department to department, awesome staff
Cons: wages, some members of managment not as thorough
Staff was very easy to get along with including managment. There were alot of regular customers I was able to connect with on a daily, weekly etc. There was always something to do, so if there was a quiet period, there were odd jobs or tasks that could be picked up and dropped depending on business.
The hardest part of the job was being apart of several departments, which I thoroughly enjoyed, however not having the time spent to FULLY train in any one of them. Being able to moved around was a highlight of my day. Coming into work for cash, and then helping in promotional areas, working in the warehouse and finishing off in seasonal! That's one of many examples!
Great Workplace
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 24, 2012
Pros: long hours
Cons: long hours
 Preforms a customer service role in regards to dealing with clients, contractors, and drivers.
 Responsible to use a variety of different programs in a transaction based environment to get the clients, contractors, and drivers in and out of the yard quickly.
 In a fast paced high volume environment, I had to ensure that the correct goods are received and sent to the correct stores.
 Ensured that loads going out to stores were loaded within the parameters of the laws regarding dangerous goods.
 Is an innovative problem solver for issues that present themselves and this has led to the creation of new strategies to keep business flowing.
 Ensured that the drivers, contractors, and clients needs were fulfilled in order to keep business flowing.
 Protects private property.
Productive, Fun, Interesting
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Kincardine, ONNovember 27, 2013
Pros: free food at time of working.
Cons: canadian tire money.
You get to work 15 minutes early so you can count stock and the person working can do a shift change and finish all the paper work in the back. after the shift change you compare stock and make sure that you both have the same number. Once your co-worker leaves all you need to do is keep the cigarettes stocked and sell gas. once it gets to be around closing time, usually half an hour before close you have to go outside to measure the amount of gas you have at the site and phone in your measurements. Once its closing you make sure no one is on the pumps and you turn them off, bring everything inside and lock the door, then you do a shift change. You take all the documents with you in the back do some paper work, put everything in the safe, set the alarm and leave.
Work at Canadian Tire
Parts Counter Clerk (Current Employee), Store # 081,Lansdowne Street WApril 25, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: low seasons
Mostly very busy,It's a new story every day, very challenging and I enjoy that.Very professional, management,from top to the bottom,bot the best part is, how nice and human they are.
There we have, a ALL Start Team, and I'm proud to be part of the Dream Team, inside that All Start Team,the Auto parts Department.
From my point of view, the costumer service(care),I will define as the key part of the hole process,there is the fine line between success or fail, in the retail business
When you achieve a customer satisfaction:that's the best part. and keep doing that, as part of your common routine every moment.
There are not difficult customers;there are, just "special customers" wiht special needs, that at the same time need, people with special skills,(retail workers) to take care of them.
Automechanic Apprenticeship Wasted
Automotive Service Technician Apprentice (Former Employee), Blenheim, ONJune 26, 2013
Pros: nothing.
Cons: over 1000 hours of apprenticeship for nothing, very frustrating stressful enviroment
I was employed at CTC for a year and a half gaining hours as an apprentice. I recieved min wadge for doing oil changes and changing tires. I also covered management on weekends for their days off. The staff in parts were hired with little to no experience with cars. Mechanics were flat rate with very poor pay. If I was caught with a mechanic learning something new about a vehicle I would be punished for not doing some sort of work. On my last day I witnessed one of the store owners damage a customer vehicle with their own and upon giving word of the incident to my manager I was fired that day by that owner. Very discusted with what went on in that store.
Basic hardware store retail environment
Manager, Parts (Current Employee), Victoria B.C.February 24, 2015
Pros: flexibility with schedule, staff association functions (i.e. bowling, lunches)
Cons: upper management and office staff
Working for Canadian Tire is a great opportunity to learn and push through challenges that you might not find in other workplaces. Also having a close team relationship allows everyone to enjoy their job and feel accomplishment at the end of a shift. As any retail manager dealing with difficult customers is one of the more challenging things to do, but with the returns and warranty manuals provided by Canadian Tire it makes those decision a lot more clear cut, not only for the employee but also the customer. I feel working for Canadian Tire has taught me many valuable real world lessons and given me experience that I will use for the rest of my life.
work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Caledonia, ONJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: its a pay check
Cons: un stable
The overall work is fine, if you do not mind hard work. Most co- workers are excellent. The management team is never on the same page. The pay rate for the floor team is beyond sad, they are the hardest workers and are there for the customers and make below the poverty level, These people should be paid what they are worth. There is a low level of respect from the management team for these workers . Communication and complaints to the store manager are impossible due to the fact he is married to the office manager and most problems involve her. There is much favoritism amongst the staff and rules are not applied the same to all. Corporation has no idea what dealing go on in this store as neither the Dealer as he is not approachable and much is hidden from him by the store manager
A big box company that doesn't care for its employees
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
I worked as a cashier for the company for 2 years and never received anything from them. Not a promotion or recognition for my hard work. The hours were awful and management was not considerate of personal life and time needed outside of work. Working part-time when I was hired they would give me full-time hours during the busy times of the year and no hours in the slow times. I finished school and they wouldn't let me work full-time or apply for benefits, I didn't even have access to my pay stubs. The store was over run with immature 16 year old high school students and no one was sufficiently trained leading to a high turn over rate. It was difficult working in this environment with very poor communication between co-workers and a disorganized work place.
Lots of experience to go around
Service Technician (Former Employee), NewminusDecember 27, 2014
Pros: i liked working on cars and trucks even as a hobby
Cons: seasonal, lack of information from employer.
there was lots i learned there, breaking down tires and full tire rotation i was the smaller work kind of things take less time but it was a common stuff to work on, i was given the tasks of studding new tires balancing tires checking for exhaust leaks, oil checks and replacements of filters and oils, difference between regular air and nitrogen in tires,

hardest part of the job was the busy spells were you would have 8 customers coming in at once and not wanting to have them wait and rushing to get it all done, but i got use to it after a little bit.

best part of the whole job was seeing the difference in cars and trucks and the makes and how they are built so differently.
productive and corresponding with an exciting team
Cashier/Customer Service representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2014
a typical day at Canadian tire is a dedicated and committed day, i help and assist customers through out the day. examples are returns and exchanges, answering telephones, and processing transactions with either cash, debit, or credit.

I've gained a great amount of knowledge working with Canadian tire, learning different products within the company, interacting with customers on a daily business, and being a great team player with co-workers.

the hardest part of my job is to be able to multitask in a fast paced environment at times. The funnest part of my job is to see a satisfied customer that i know has experienced a successful customer service experience and would most definitely shop again another day.
Poor Management, Unstable hours
CASHIER (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 14, 2012
Pros: 10 percent discount and profit sharing after working 1000 hours
Cons: poor management
Each day, I would go in early and get my cash area stocked up, cleaned and ready to go.Then, I would go upstairs to punch in and get my cash. I always came downstairs five minutes before each shift. What I learned working there is that it is crucial to have good management and good co-workers working with you, not against you. The hardest part of the job was working with employees that didn't pull their weight, and are kept on by management.: it makes you have to work that much harder, and that much faster. Good workers leave and the bad ones stay. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some employees that were friendly and productive. I also loved the regulars that came into the store.
Working Shipping and Receiving at Canadian TIre
o Warehouse and Receiving Associate (Current Employee), Scarborough, OntarioSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: flexible hours available during school
Cons: low wages
At this job I learned a great deal of skills I can carry on to my next job. I learned time management as receiving hours greatly restricted and it was imperative to complete all tasks within a certain timeframe in order to be ready to accept each delivery in a timely manner. I learned to treat my co-workers with a combination of encouragement, patience and constructive criticism to create enjoyable and constructive relationships at work. While I enjoyed being an integral part of many aspects of the workings of the store, I feel now that I would like to put my interests and education to good use and become part of a workplace that is more challenging and rewarding.
Headquarters