Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,783 reviews matching the search
fun and interesting group to work with
back parts (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 5, 2016
some parts of these positions have helped me expand my knowledge. lack of communication between employees and management makes things challenging
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
lack of advancement
Easy and relatively rewarding job, poor mangement
Garden Centre worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 22, 2016
CTC is an alright entry-level job for students, and the pay is pretty good considering the work you put in. I learned a lot about how the customer-service industry works. Management is very poor though, and as a result, turnover is extremely high (at the particular store I worked at, anyway). For the most part the coworkers are great, probably the best part actually. The most difficult part of the job is coping with how short staffed the departments usually are, when you are constantly running around trying to help customers meanwhile the ones waiting to be helped are growing ever more impatient by the second.
Pros
Good coworkers, easy job for the most part
Cons
Bad/corrupt management, inefficient work policies
not a bad experiance but poor management
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 6, 2016
overall Canadian tire wasn't the best place to work as the managers and a majority of the employees which worked there were very rude and did not care much for their co-workers or ethics. the best part of the job would have been dealing with the customers and outdoorsy equipment sold there.
Pros
being able to deal with and assist costumers when they needed help
Cons
very poor management, disrespectful employees
Good leadership training
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PEFebruary 20, 2016
Hard work, good working conditions, would have liked to have a better crew to work with but managed to work up to par with other teams. I learned to delegate work to other people and make decisions without any help. Management encouraged me to use my skills in layouts and staff guidance. Hardest part of job was teaching team skills to unskilled and inexperienced co-workers and getting them to trust my decisions as their team lead. Enjoyed the experience and learning of new skills.
Pros
Learned new things about myself
Cons
Very physically demanding and stressful.
great company to work for
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work is always a fun and an enjoyable experience. I can honestly say I do not remember having a bad day . I love the people I work with. We are a great group of employees there is aproximatly at any given time 70 to 80 employees and I get along with all. The hardest part is probably the irate customers . But that doesn't happen all the time . I just do my best and try to put my self in their shoes and their feelings . Things usually work out .
Great for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 24, 2016
Canadian Tire was great for a temporary job or being in school. Helping customers find desired products should be the main focus but ensuring shelves were stocked and neat is more the main responsibility. I learned the whole store very quickly although you are only really assigned to one department. You can see that when you are shopping in the store because most staff won't be able to help you if the item you are looking for is not in their department.
Fun workplace where you meet lots of new people.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
Working in the seasonal section at Canadian Tire was a good experience for the most part. The work was rather basic: keep your section tidy and help the customers find anything that they're looking for. Aside from the occasional hasty customer, there was not too much wrong with the store... Until we got a new manager who did not have a clue how to handle us, that's when things went slightly awry, and is about the time that I left the company.
Pros
meeting people, learning customer service
Cons
not many hours, the odd confrontational customer
understaff
Manager (Former Employee) –  torontoSeptember 16, 2015
No personal growth, politics are dancing, favoritism place a big role in the company
salary is low and long hours
stocking all day and customers are pleasant
Pros
not applicable
Cons
productive place to work with room for advancements
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJanuary 18, 2016
Lots of work to keep you busy, friendly coworkers, plenty of opportunity for promotions.
The management works with you, your schedule and supplies plenty of training for the job and any new tasks that come in. They also supply plenty of information on any new products brought in so we could properly help customers.
Pros
free lunches on occasions, great people to work with.
Just a living. Not fun anymore.
Journeyman Automotive Technician (Red Seal) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Flat rate is not a stable or easy way to make a living. The hours are long and any social life is sacrificed. It really takes a toll on the body, the tools required are expensive and take food off the table.
Pros
Earn money based on knowledge and ability to work hard.
Cons
No life, all you do is work, eat and sleep
Fun workplace
Merchandising product on shelves (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
I gained cashier skills, customers service skills, skills in dealing with difficult customers, and stoking and cleaning up shelves so that customers can find things easier and our shelves look nice, tidy, and clean. The hardest part of working at Canadian Tire is that they didn't always separate the breaks as good as they should have, not leaving a long enough between the breaks.
Pros
developing skills
Cons
dealing with mean managers
Canadian Tire
Seasonal Decorator & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 30, 2016
A typical day working for Canadian tired usually started off with a fresh cup of tea in the staff room; my co-workers and I would gather in the meeting room to meet with our head managers to listen to the days objectives and goals. While working at Canadian Tire I was trained to utilize a price gun, replace discount stickers and assist customers with retail orders. My main position was a Seasonal Decorator, from time to time I would stand behind the front desk to assist customers with any questions or concerns they might have. The managers were very kind and helpful, especially on my first day of work. They always interacted with the employees and offered assistance with difficult tasks, while working at Canadian Tire I felt respected, cared for and felt like my opinion mattered. The hardest part of my job was assisting not-so-nice customers, although I can handle myself in tough situations like those, its not always easy. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my co-workers and the customers, I loved talking with everyone and helping others whenever I could, it was a real joy being employed at Canadian Tire.
Pros
Free laptop use
Cons
Not enough time for lunch break
Good job for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ONMarch 1, 2016
Canadian Tire is a good place for student employment, it is not something to make a career out of. As a student working there you will be piled with shifts, you will be taken advantage of by other employees, there is no possibility of advancing to a higher position. But this all just describes one store. Every store is owned by a different Dealer who has a different set of rules and runs their store in a different way.
Pros
Using the shop
Cons
Unpleasant employees
Five years experience in a retail store with a strong environmental awareness and a substantial part of a working team in a retail client base
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 13, 2016
*Processed payment by cash,debit, gift card and credit card
*Ability to make complex administrative decisions pertaining to policies and regulations
*Possesses leadership skills and capable of training newly hired cashier
*Upbeat and flexible to the needs of my co-workers
*Dealing with difficult customer
*Appreciating my work of every customers, my supervisors and co-workers
Pros
Barbeque and Christmas Party
Cons
Short hours
Overall good place to work and gain valuable work experince.
Auto Serivce Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 13, 2016
At Canadian Tire a typical work day is usually very busy. It involves many aspects from dealing with all types of customers to cleaning and stocking product. With my many years of experience I have learned that you have to really listen to your customers needs. Our management team is one the best I have worked for. My co-works are great to work with and I am proud to call most my friends.
Excellent pay, benefits and culture
Test Analyst/Resource Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONFebruary 3, 2016
A great work environment that encourages personal and professional growth. Management engages employees at every available opportunity and is willing to work with individuals achieve their career goals.
Pros
Lots of freebies
Cons
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABMay 25, 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
Always a challenge
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 15, 2016
Working for Canadian Tire is perfect for the candidate who loves to be physically active, interact with associates and customers and who thrives on a steady movement of tasks, deadlines and challenges. Canadian Tire is a thriving retail outlet that offers a vast variety of household needs and seasonal enhancements. Managing a Canadian Tire requires long hours, occasional late nights and a strong work ethic. The manager represents the owner/operator as the stores are franchised. This means that one location could have a completely different philosophy and rules and regulations than another. This can be challenging when dealing with customers and prior associates who may apply to work in your location. The standards set by corporate home office include merchandising deadlines and mandated point of purchase materials to be implemented to ensure consistency throughout the chain. There is a store report performed twice a year that scores the standards of the store. There is a fantastic e-learning program that ensures your associates are set for success upon completion.
Worked with some great people over the years.
Inventory Disposition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2015
A typical day was busy from start to finish. Usually skipped breaks and lunches to get the work done that needed to be completed. I didn't mind. I held many roles and volunteer roles over the years and enjoyed all but one. I didn't deal much with management as most of the roles I held I worked alone and was pretty self-sufficient. I had some awesome colleagues, some of which I am still friends with although I no longer work there. I won't comment on the hardest part of the job as that would mean calling out one individual and I choose not to do that. The most enjoyable part of the role was providing exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, great colleagues.
Cons
I won't comment as that would mean calling out one individual and I choose not to do that.
Excellent work relations
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 10, 2016
My typical day involves electrical maintenance and repairs to equipment used in the distribution center.
It is great company to work for, I would recommend it to anyone.
My only problem is my shift. I have been working midnight for over eleven years. I am finding it a little difficult to do the continuous midnight shift.
Pros
I am confortable working with all the equipment in the DC
Cons
Midnight shift

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location