Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,688 reviews matching the search
Just a living. Not fun anymore.
Journeyman Automotive Technician (Red Seal) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Flat rate is not a stable or easy way to make a living. The hours are long and any social life is sacrificed. It really takes a toll on the body, the tools required are expensive and take food off the table.
Pros
Earn money based on knowledge and ability to work hard.
Cons
No life, all you do is work, eat and sleep
Raps is great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMarch 11, 2016
I like working as a live in aid, however do to the fact i knew the person i was working for as a family friend made things awkward after awhile.
Pros
great pay, good job security
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement.
Customer Service/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2016
There are few opportunities for advancement. The managment does not communicate with fellow employees. There is a lot of confusion and misunderstandings regarding work related issues.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
No advancement
fun workplace
Promotional Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  st.james polo park winnipeg manitobaMay 9, 2016
everyday is an exciting day to work at canadian tire you will learn how to deal with different kind of person or customers.you need to have a lot of patience.i really enjoyed working at canadian tire because i have a harmonious relationship with my co-workers the hardest part of my job is if you encountered a mean customers but at the end of the day you can see smile in our face because we tried to polite with them,but the most fun and enjoyable is if you see their face(customers) that they are happy because you tried to help them with smile.
Pros
free lunches every moth
Cons
full time hours
understaff
Manager (Former Employee) –  torontoSeptember 16, 2015
No personal growth, politics are dancing, favoritism place a big role in the company
salary is low and long hours
stocking all day and customers are pleasant
Pros
not applicable
Cons
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
Good place to work excellent cafeteria
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 30, 2015
Good place to work friendly co-workers, rotating shift, 4 days on 3 days off one week and the next week it changes. management takes good care of all employes excellent benefits
Pros
lunch, hours
Cons
nothing
Productive, slow pace working environment. Very Educational
Cashier, Sales Associate(Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 2, 2016
I really enjoy working at Canadian Tire, the environment is suitable for a lot of people, I would prefer a more fast pace environment, where I can use most of my skills. Canadian Tire is generally a slow pace environment depending on the time of year which can be stressful as you can't estimate accurately when it will be fast pace environment. The pay is rather low, they offer the bare minimum of minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible hours, Great Engagement, Great Management
Cons
Not known for the best customer service, stressful
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BCNovember 19, 2015
A typical day at work would mainly consist of cleaning and stocking till lanes, and processing transactions. I learned confidence skills, because before working there I was very shy. The management and co-workers were very nice and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was sometimes having to deal with upset customers, but I learned how to better deal with that over time. And the most enjoyable part was communicating with the regular customers and cleaning around store front.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Repetitive
Great way to develop time management skills and to handle stress
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work is generally very busy. Customer service is expected to be of highest quality, along with putting away new stock, ordering out-of-stock items, organizing respective departments, etc. This job definitely helps with prioritizing all the work that needs to be done. It also helps quite a bit with one's ability to handle stress. The hardest part of the job was holiday hours, while customers must be taken care of and the department must be kept in order. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers.
Seasonal/Sports Retail (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMarch 21, 2016
Management was great when i started with the company years ago.
Lots of perks and time shares with the company. Staff was great too
Pros
Free lunches ever other month or so.
Enjoyable place to work
Stock Rotator/Inventory Control/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJanuary 14, 2016
The people I worked with along with management were great to work for. I really enjoyed working with customers and other employees. I implemented alot in the department that I was in charge of, as well as helping out in others.Unfortunatlly I had to move, and quit my position.
Pros
We were aloud a percentage off our purchases
Cons
Fun workplace where you meet lots of new people.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 22, 2016
Working in the seasonal section at Canadian Tire was a good experience for the most part. The work was rather basic: keep your section tidy and help the customers find anything that they're looking for. Aside from the occasional hasty customer, there was not too much wrong with the store... Until we got a new manager who did not have a clue how to handle us, that's when things went slightly awry, and is about the time that I left the company.
Pros
meeting people, learning customer service
Cons
not many hours, the odd confrontational customer
Canadian Tire
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2016
Working for Canadian Tire was fun and everyone was welcoming. Management should team together better and set smart goals.
friendly environment, management and coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 7, 2016
supervisors were willing to help you out whenever a sticky situation arose, they were very supportive even if you made a dumb mistake of course, they also make sure you don't goof up all the time. Food was brought into the lunch room to share every so often. The only issue I had while working as a cashier was that I was stuck to one spot the entire work time unless permission was given by the supervisors. The environment varied from fast paced to slow crawl. They also take employee harassment seriously too, had a coworker who kept harassing me and a few other staff and being a creep and they kicked him out.
Pros
friendly supportive staff, complementary meals sometimes, great atmosphere
Cons
being stuck in one spot causing foot strain, having times where you can't do anything
Great company to work for
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 27, 2016
I really enjoyed my time spent at Canadian Tire as a co-op student, I learned a lot about the automotive industry. The mechanics were really helpful and the management was full of inspiring leaders
Pros
Numerous locations
Cons
Low hours
Typical Day At Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Typical day at work would be scanning customer's items and taking money order's filling papers and bagging their item's. Always smile because if your not your customer's will not be nice to you. I've learned to always be respectful even if your customer's aren't and be polite
Pros
Break's
Canadian Tire Family
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2015
Long hours of hard work. Through this job, I developed most of my skills; learning to understand someone's point of view, problem solving, looking for solutions, etc. The most enjoyable part of my work was the people I got to meet in my two years, and how we have grown together as a team. The most difficult part of my job was to try and understand problematic situations and come up with solutions that would satisfy everyone involved.
Pros
Great team effort
Cons
Productive and friendly environment to work in
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONApril 4, 2016
Each day is very organized to maximize time and productivity. Friendly and eager management who share their knowledge and are patient with employees.
I enjoyed it there. The most social company I've been at.
Financial Analyst, Forecasting and Budgeting (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I've worked at 2 Canadian Tire head offices, one in Oakville, one at Yonge and Eglinton. Oakville was pleasant. Nice big office and all that. Yonge and Eglinton is much more concentrated. Not in a bad way, just not the same as Oakville. But I had more social interactions here than any of my previous companies, so that's something I realy enjoyed about it. The work itself was decent. Certainly not too much. My manager changed while I was there. The first one was one of my favourite boss's ever, the second one I learned the most from than anyone else. On the whole a positive experience.
Pros
Convenient location. Social.