Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

It's a job
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB31 January 2018
working there was fun staff was friendly management was good owner knew how to run his store I won't say it was the best job I've ever had but hours were good and you always could have more shift if you needed extra money at some point
difficult team work
Automotive/Parts Associate (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB31 January 2018
People don't help each other or try to get to know the employees

It's difficult to get time off as a student for school sports and activiites and very little hours for part time staff
Face-paced friendly work environment
OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2018
Depending on the time of year, working at Canadian Tire can be busy. For the most part, the environment is relaxed and fun to work at. Over the years I have come to believe working at Canadian Tire has a lot of perks and can become a full-time career.
The hardest part about working here, is the number of employee's that we go through, as the turn around in Calgary is high.

I have always enjoyed working at Canadian Tire, but would like to try something new.
Okay.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2018
The job was great. Helping customers with providing them with any assistants through-out the store. The issue i had was that, i did not get paid for 3 months of work. I told my managers plenty of times that i need to be paid but never got paid until i quit after the fourth month.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
Management.
Point Of Sales and Digital Signage Creator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON31 January 2018
Good people and good place to work. I was on contract and was over in 6 month. I would go back in no time. Canadian tire is a well established company.
Pros
good place
Cons
far from home
Job was alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 January 2018
It was an interesting learning experience, but the hours fluctuated a lot, and the management was very manipulating. It was a good part time position for extra money but didn't guarantee much in hours and was hard to keep up with bills during slow months.
Pros
Wide variety of jobs, good flexibility
Cons
Not much guaruntee for hours
Friendly environment with good management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON30 January 2018
A typical day at work involves stocking products and working on cash. I learned the safety requirements necessary for working with dangerous materials such as gasoline. I also improved my skills in customer service. The management is very professional, reasonable and helpful. The culture is kind. The hardest part of the job is preventing theft, the most enjoyable part is interacting with regular customers.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
temptation to eat candy bars
Good student job
Commis des sports (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC29 January 2018
flexible hours, nice environment, good chemistry, good team. One of the rare really stable jobs for students. Fun job for short term, not my cup of tea when long term.
Good retail business experience
Promotions Manager (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON29 January 2018
I was able to gain valuable knowledge and experience with plenty of opportunities to advance within the store. The owners and General Managers expected a lot of hard work and dedication but provided valuable guidance and opportunities to employees who met expectations.
Pros
Good experience and room for advancement.
Cons
Put in extra hours during busy retail seasons.
Productive and Fun Work Place Environment
Part-Time Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB29 January 2018
Awesome days at work. Work as a team and basically get the job done at the time your suppose too. I learnt lots while working with the company, customer service is awesome I gained confidence and been more open, . Management are great, they work hard and try their best to answer calls. The hardest part of the job is ringing the customers threw while its busy and there's only 2 of you running the cash and hard to find someone to run spare cash. The enjoyable part of the job is my team and I called them my second family.
Pros
Awesome hours.
Cons
Wishing I had a full time job experience.
Meh, it's a job
Cashier/Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Main Street North Vancouver29 January 2018
Never had any problems, it was just the same thing every day some busier and some not, worked there when I was 14 so I had not the slightest clue about any hardware, would recommend if you have extensive hardware knowledge.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Boring
it was exhausting
Cashier/Promotions (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 January 2018
they had cut hours in half when minimum wage was going up. if you were working a 8 hr. shift they would cut your shift into only 4 hours so that you do not get a break or lunch . they are always hiring people out of programs giving no one space to advance
Good
Seasonal Department Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Castlegar, BC28 January 2018
It is a good place to start, u will get life experience and will see the real-life world. Work demands physical strength, if not good build up that u have, u will eventually get a better version of urself at the end!!
A good short term thing to have, but not a permanent placement
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Glendale Ave. St. Catharines, ON28 January 2018
A typical day of work entails chatting with customers (which is difficult if you're impatient or don't know how to deal with adults acting like children), basic maintenance like moving products from impulse locations to more permanent homes to keep the shelves looking full, and checking prices for cashiers.

As for what I've learned from this job, there are quite a few things, mostly around home maintenance projects such as building decks, replacing or fixing plumbing, replacing switches, and things of that sort. That being said, this job comes with a few other lessons as well such as how office politics work, the fact that people don't like reading signs, and that retail really isn't for everyone. I've received many awards for customer service over the almost two years I've been at my store, and I'll be the first to say that retail is not for me.

To elaborate on the "office politics" comment, management is a bit of a coin toss. Sometimes the managers you get are saints, and other times well, they're the exact opposite. At my store, it's split down the middle. As with other jobs, be prepared to have some problems with them and be ready to have complaints to raise, but so long as you don't stick around long term, that hopefully won't be a significant issue.

Workplace culture is lacking to a great extent in that for many employees, a shift is just that. There's nothing to enjoy or be fulfilled by, it just is. That's fine for some people, but it's one of the numerous reasons that Canadian Tire is considered a metaphorical "revolving door."

The absolute hardest part of
  more... the job for me is the constant reminder of how childish, nasty, and condescending people can be, when you're there to help them. However, dealing with the difficult managers when trying to help out a customer, or being made to take the fall for them are both close seconds.

When asked about the most enjoyable part of this job, my immediate thought is "leaving" and it is, but the most enjoyable part while on the job is the insanely rare opportunity to help out a decent customer.
Pros
Employees get 15% off of most purchases, not physically demanding, short hours, paid training
Cons
Management is hard to deal with most times, clientele is problematic, mentally and emotionally exhausting
Great place ti work... But one catch
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC28 January 2018
I worked for Canadian Fire's Auto Parts counter. The job was excellent. One of the best places for an aitomotove-driven person to be to challenge their vehicular knowledge and parts skills.

Through my experience, the pay was decent for working in a retail Auto Parts dept. Thought our management team never regarded one's request for time off. Even when one gave more than 2 months notice.

On the topic of management... This is the bad part... The owner/Operator of the Nanaimo BC branch DOES NOT care about his staff, in fact I have seen him verbally abuse several employees. Also, the Auto Service/Parts Manager was a two way street... One day he would be the nicest guy on earth, And the next, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you did would kiss him off. The Parts Supervisor was in charge of scheduling. And 9 out of 10 times, if time was booked off, he would either "forget" or "loose the draft sheet." I nearly had to cancel a $1000 vacation as a result.

BUT overall, if you don't talk to the management and do your job And ONLY your job, It's an amazing place to self-direct your learning and advancement. I just never saw it through and have moved elsewhere...
Pros
Experience, Customer Service, Customer Bonding
Cons
Scheduling Errors, Mean Owner & Managers.
Okay place
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE26 January 2018
job advancement is based on who you know. Pay minimum wage. worked part time so no benefit. Fellow employees were nice. Hours can be really low at certain times of the year
friendly and safe work environment
Sports Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 January 2018
A typical day at work would usually go quite well. After dealing with so many customers I have learned a lot about sales and customer services. My favourite part of the job was connecting with customers and discovering their hardware needs.
Pros
Something new everyday
Cons
Not enough hours
Slow paced for the most part, managers not helpful.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON26 January 2018
During my duration working here I found the managers not accommodating to the work to life ratio. I was given sparce shifts and very low pay. Good for a starter job but noy perminate position.
Beware of this place
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON26 January 2018
Watch out for this place. They say they spare no expense in the shop but it couldn't be farther from the truth. Shop tools are broken, hoists are broken. Go back on promises for pay perks with excuses. Stay away. There's a reason they have gone through 10+ technicians in less than a year. Terrible place to work. But hey if you want to do shady back yard mechanic work this is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Lies, back yard fixes, management, broken shop tools and hoists but hey they have an over priced scan tool
Good learning job for teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB25 January 2018
Dealt daily with customers requests both in person and over phone.
Knowledgeable about products.
Warehousing and locating products.
Help management with Jump Start Celebration Day
WHIMIS.
I learned that the customer service industry was not for me.
They really didn't focus on training employee's properly.
I enjoyed working with the staff.
Pros
Great People
Cons
You never know what you are scheduled to work ahead of time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K