Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,835 reviews matching the search
Exciting new environment with lots of helpful staff.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ONMarch 14, 2016
Typically I would come home from school and go straight to work for a 4-6 hour shift. I learned cash skills and a lot of customer service skills, for example how to react with displeased customers. My management was extremely helpful while they were present and my co-workers were very patient with teaching me. My hardest experience was learning how to work the cash register. I had zero cash experience before, but I strive in math so that made things a lot easier. The most enjoyable part of my job was during the busy hours when I got to meet lots of new people and keep myself busy.
Productive, slow pace working environment. Very Educational
Cashier, Sales Associate(Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJune 2, 2016
I really enjoy working at Canadian Tire, the environment is suitable for a lot of people, I would prefer a more fast pace environment, where I can use most of my skills. Canadian Tire is generally a slow pace environment depending on the time of year which can be stressful as you can't estimate accurately when it will be fast pace environment. The pay is rather low, they offer the bare minimum of minimum wage.
Pros
Flexible hours, Great Engagement, Great Management
Cons
Not known for the best customer service, stressful
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
Excellent Place to work, among top 100 Canadian employers. However, progression opportunities are low.
Consultant, Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Great culture, competitive remuneration packages, growing organization, great leadership. Work life balance can be challenging, growth prospects are very slow.
great company to work for
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BCAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work is always a fun and an enjoyable experience. I can honestly say I do not remember having a bad day . I love the people I work with. We are a great group of employees there is aproximatly at any given time 70 to 80 employees and I get along with all. The hardest part is probably the irate customers . But that doesn't happen all the time . I just do my best and try to put my self in their shoes and their feelings . Things usually work out .
Great for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 24, 2016
Canadian Tire was great for a temporary job or being in school. Helping customers find desired products should be the main focus but ensuring shelves were stocked and neat is more the main responsibility. I learned the whole store very quickly although you are only really assigned to one department. You can see that when you are shopping in the store because most staff won't be able to help you if the item you are looking for is not in their department.
Canadian Tire Environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire North Lethbridge, ABApril 20, 2016
In the Canadian Tire family there are a lot of good fun people to be around, (co-workers) but then there is the management. The management here is terrible, they are awful people who only care about them selves and want to make everyone else's time here miserable. the typical day at work was not bad, everything goes smoothly when certain managers aren't in at the same time. I learned to be patient with customers and also co-workers. the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the managers (head Cashier and general manager) happy, to me there seems like your always doing something wrong or not enough. the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and co-workers.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
Head Cashier/ General Manager
disorganized
Tire/Lube tech (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 3, 2016
a typical day of work was to come in tidy the shop while waiting for a list from management of the daily tasks he/she would like completed for the day. the tasks could be anything from my job title of tire and lube technician. to service/parts writer, to stock boy, to maintence or janitorial duties through the store, to a builder of large stock items to custom pieces of equipment to fit what purpose would be needed in the store. I loved that there was only the journeyman and myself in the shop, it allowed me to go way past the position of being a tire/lube tech, aswell hoping that it would also earn my way to the position of my apprenticeship (after receiving my new journeyman).
The reason for my leave from Canadian tire was due to no benefits after 2 years, no apprenticeship, aswell the management being so disorganised, dysfunctional and creating several arguments with not only the staff but the customers, As I did not want to build my name and reputation in an environment such as that and took on the statistics Canada position full time and have had a blast ever since.
Pros
tonnes of 1 on 1 and hands on exspierence
Cons
no benefits, no apprenticeship after 1.5 years
Productive and very friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work for a cashier at Canadian Tire stands at the front of the tills and offers to help customers if in need. Cashiers also clean, do returns, and refill the toilet paper in the washrooms. I learned valuable customer service skills and social skills as well. I've also learned how to manage and count a till. The management was very good. Friendly co-workers made it easier to pass the day. The hardest part about being a cashier was trying to help and explain situations to angry customers. But the most enjoyable part of my job was becoming friends with my co-workers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
If the store was slow, there was nothing to do.
Productive, fun
Department(s) Manager (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABMarch 14, 2016
Canadian Tire is a versatile place to work.
Always room for advancement if you're willing to work hard, in a productive, friendly manner.
Canadian Tire works along side each community to improve social programs.
Pros
Friendly
fun workplace
Promotional Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  st.james polo park winnipeg manitobaMay 9, 2016
everyday is an exciting day to work at canadian tire you will learn how to deal with different kind of person or customers.you need to have a lot of patience.i really enjoyed working at canadian tire because i have a harmonious relationship with my co-workers the hardest part of my job is if you encountered a mean customers but at the end of the day you can see smile in our face because we tried to polite with them,but the most fun and enjoyable is if you see their face(customers) that they are happy because you tried to help them with smile.
Pros
free lunches every moth
Cons
full time hours
How I felt about Canadian Tire
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2016
It was a nice job at the start but Management is what I would say was the tough part of the job. They would come down on you if the truck was not unloaded and the warehouse was completely full of merchandise. So I didn't really like management. I would say the best part of the job was the fact it was my first job ever and it paid for my whole university education. Some of my coworkers were ok but not all. It was like a battleground with everyone who didn't like someone would start arguements with them and that wasn't pleasant. It wasn't a good place to work. Not good pay.
Pros
I didn't like the pay.
Cons
the pay however paid for my university education and kept me out of debt
Productive but natural problems
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Canadian Tire for a first working experience is great because the teach you the wrongs and rights in a workplace and you learn the courage to stand up for wrong in a workplace and hope you don't get condemned for it. They have many faults that can be changed but it overall was eye opening experience. I gained insightful knowledge about the workforce and gained friends from it also.
Pros
Great Flexiblity
Cons
Long hours, Bad Pay
good job but unfair manager
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Working at Canadian tire taught me a lot about working in an environment with a lot of products. I learned the importance of being familiar with the stores products and knowing how to help a customer to the best of my abilities. I also learned a lot about being organized, because of how my job meant that I'd be in the Warehouse of the Store often.
Pros
an enviroment that ran on team work
Cons
to many late shifts
Not a great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 22, 2016
I only worked at Canadian Tire for a short time. At first everything was great. The people were nice and I enjoyed working but when the winter came the store manager started letting people go for no reason. They stopped giving me hours totally out of the blue. I never did anything wrong and when I asked if I would be getting an hours again my manager lied to me saying that I would be getting shifts again at the beginning of April. I found out from one of my co-workers that since I was unable to work full-time due to the fact that I am still in school that they just stopped giving me hours in hopes that I would quit. I am not currently working there
Cons
Lied too
Friends do not let friend work in Canadian Tire
Finance field (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 21, 2015
I have worked in CTC for 8 years.

At first it was a wonderful company to work for. Senior management treated everyone with respect. Management was rewarding and encouraging. Everyone was friendly. It was like a family.

Since they changed top management, the entire company cultural changed dramatically.

They fired a lot old senior management in 2012. Since that day, office politics are major focus instead of customer/business growth.

Senior management made a lot unreasonable decisions, like moving Accounts Payable to Oakville, which caused significant delay in vendor payments, almost caused business disruption. The reason was told to us, to save rent money. Instead of saving costs, they kept renting additional spaces in Toronto.

Senior management prefer to hire young CAs from outside of the company and hardly give any advance opportunity to internal people. And they created a hierarchy culture. Senior Financial Analysts (almost all CAs) would never be friendly to "little people" unless they need something from you.

Management fired a lot employees worked for 20 or 30 years just because they did not have designation, they punish you for being loyal.

Management are biased, mean and selfish. I hardly get any appreciation and encouragement. And they try to create hierarchy/lays in a very small team.

In this company if you are not AVP's favourite, you will never get advancement, you will not get appreciated, your co-workers will undermine you.

CTC pays very low and just give you 1% raise each year if you are not buttering up your management.

The
  more... management of business is a mess.
HR policy apply to someone but not another.
A lot departments do not have a clear understanding of their responsibilities.
A lot of repeated effort for same problems, you may spend 50% of your time to fix other people errors.
Pros
Made some friends, some managers are ok
Cons
Overworked and underpaid, horrible management from top to middle level, no advancement for internal employee
Busy and stressful job with poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONSeptember 26, 2016
I've never felt more stressed out about going to work more than I did at this job.
Co-workers were friendly, hours were good, though long, pay was fine. My boss was awful. She did not communicate very well and would often get angry at me. Mistakes were not taken lightly. She wrote my coworkers up for giving each other a high-five because it was "unprofessional". She yelled at me after booking me for a day that I had requested off, and that was the last straw for me so the next day I sent in my letter of resignation and two weeks notice. She then cancelled all of my shifts without telling me so when I showed up early for a shift, I found out I didn’t have to be there. She was the reason I (and many of my other co-workers) quit.
If you like customer service and problem solving this is a good job. The shifts were long, 8 or 9 hours usually. Some customers were mean but that's to be expected. CT money is kind of a pain to deal with, especially when a customer brings in large stacks of it. If it weren't for my boss I might've stayed. Personally I wouldn't recommend this job but every person is different and if you're up for the challenge it could be the right job for you.
Pros
Decent hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
HORRIBLE boss, long hours, ct money, stressful
Fun workplace
Merchandising product on shelves (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
I gained cashier skills, customers service skills, skills in dealing with difficult customers, and stoking and cleaning up shelves so that customers can find things easier and our shelves look nice, tidy, and clean. The hardest part of working at Canadian Tire is that they didn't always separate the breaks as good as they should have, not leaving a long enough between the breaks.
Pros
developing skills
Cons
dealing with mean managers
Productive and fun work place with table tennis table
IT Project Coordinator/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Enjoyed the work and fun culture with solid regular from the various managers I worked with and an inclusive culture which makes work fun most of the times.
The most challenging part was to deal with many small projects at the same time and legacy systems being used at Canadian Tire Corp.
They have got to upgrade and move on to new systems.
Pros
Work Life Balance and located conveniently for public transport
Cons
Different projects with different technology and hard for time management with competing priorities
Good starting point for anyone looking for a job
Receiver/Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Canadian tire was good, I enjoyed learning new things for my job. Such tips to speed on processing trucks, or new items that make everyone life easier. The staff is friendly and willing to help out if needed. Hardest part of my job would be processing huge trucks by myself when others were busy with customers.
Pros
Friendly staff, good vibe, fun workplace
Cons
Exhusting work.

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location