Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 2,010 reviews matching the search
Fast paced environment.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2016
Fun place to work with great co-worker.Flexible hours and shifts.Good communication between branches.Excellent benefits package.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Attrition
Great company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2016
Managers are always willing to help and are willing to train. The whole store worked as a team always to make sure our customers were helped. If one employee didn't know an answer to a customer question other employees over the walkies always would help each other which would make all employees learn something new each day. Canadian Tire is a family company for sure and there is never failure there only learning experiences which makes Canadian tire a great company. It's easier to learn in a friendly family-like environment and Canadian Tire has always been like that.
Pros
Great management and employees
A Good Job For Students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 September 2016
Canadian Tire provides students with the opportunity to learn within a fast paced environment providing both flexible hours and a friendly work environment. The teamwork emphasized within canadian tire helps the workplace be productive and helps the workplace stay friendly. Although the workplace is friendly the organization is lacking. Many times management fails to properly organize tasks and often times this causes much confusion on the floor. Product is often lost and employees are often left with nothing to do while others are given too many tasks. As long as you remain a hard worker within this environment and you remain cooperative, it is an excellent and flexible job for anyone looking for a job during school or to fill in time between another job.
Pros
Flexibliity
Cons
Poor Managment
Great atmosphere, but few hours
Attendant/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 June 2016
Great part-time place to work, however very few hours, especially on the off season for hockey. Very few benefits come from it.
Great work experience
Store Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON18 May 2016
Store setup and preparation for owner hand over is a tedious project. Change of management excites some staff and to others is dreaded.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little to no benefits
Productive Environment
Housewares Executive (Former Employee) –  Fenelon Falls, ON5 September 2016
Working at Canadian Tire, is very hard work. Being a Housewares Associate, I worked with two other woman restocking, and organizing shelving, as well as helping costumers.

I learned how to use the computer system effectively and quickly, while helping a customer find the item they described and wanted. I learned out to properly organize shelves and back room storage.

The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting. Sometimes boxes were hard to manage, and you would have to get another co-worker to help with lifting heavier items, when they were not busy.
Pros
Effective Teamwork
Cons
Repetitive long hours
Good luck with the C-wood Store, management is Dishonest and loves to play the Run-A-Round Game!!!!
auto Parts (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON2 August 2016
Only favourites get advancements, management will tell you there are no opening in other areas in store but will put job posting on Job websites. Then threaten you with loss of hours. Oh and don't call in sick or management will give you the run around when you bring in your $20 Doc Note telling you to get another note with more infomation of ailment .
Pros
Fellow employees are great!!!
Cons
Management, Management, management oh and needs a new owner and an overhaul of managers.
Every Store is different...
Service Adviser/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON17 January 2017
Every store is run different as different people own them. I worked out in Bowmanville and in my opinion the Service Manager should not have been a Manager.

I liked the people I was working with, but the Manager didn't take the old computer program out of the computer and that made it very confusing when writing work orders up for service. When you made an error he made you feel like it was your fault but it was his lack of computer skills that kept two different programs running on the same computer.

The pay is good and competitive with dealerships.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Bad choice of Service Manager
Not a fun place to work
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
Management isn't the best, hours are bad, advancement is non-existent. in store discount is only 10% which is pretty much a slap in the face
Pros
it was a job
Cons
everything else
Depends on the Dealer/Owner
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB15 November 2016
Can be a great place to work but depends strongly on the Owner and management. This varies as all stores are independently owned and operated. I have mixed reviews but overall really liked working there
Pros
team enviroment
Cons
Stressful but you learn retail very well
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 January 2017
The hardest part of the job was working with customers and other employees. Hard work is hardly ever rewarded unless you have been working there for 3+ years. No real room to advance in the company unless there is a open position in management, which is very rare. Overall its not a bad starting point, good for getting some experience but has a way of sucking you in and not letting go.
Pros
Learn all aspects of retail
Cons
Work 364 days of the year, no graveyard stock
work load is realy high
Capacity planning (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2016
I really like the culture, how ever the work load is high some times I had to work til late after work at home. Average salary rate, good benefits like discounts.
Great work/life balance
Finance Systems Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2016
A good place to work if you're looking for work/life balance. The culture differs between the different business units and individual departments but overall, the culture is friendly.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS18 August 2016
Your daily routine depends on your shift, but is very well laid out. I have learned many things regarding customer service and consumers. At present, I have learned many things regarding the hardware department, cash and look forward to learning more.

All of my co-workers are great to work with. They are pleasant and always willing to help out.

The hardest part of my job are the physical requirements. The most enjoyable parts of my job include helping people, always having the opportunity to learn more, being responsible for your own department, working with great people, always having the opportunity to move forward and being compensated for your advancements.
Fast-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON12 March 2016
Work itself was satisfying, great customers, your hours were cut in the winter months, unprofessional management, and scheduling was always a problem, only had one company raise.
Pros
great co-workers, friendly customers
Cons
poor management, bad scheduling, cut hours, no salary increase
Astonishingly Shameful Management
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC12 September 2016
I spent about 3 weeks of my life wasting away working for the imbeciles that manage the Port Coquitlam location. The management staff are some of the most annoying , uneducated stuck up , grumpy , old and revolting people ever !

This .... FILTH of management should all be sifted through and replaced .
They do not understand how to train employees as every staff member despised many of them. Nor do they follow their own company rules.

I would have rather spent my days spent in a cesspit than having to deal with the baffoons that work in said store .
Pros
Lowest staff members were cool
Cons
Management is revolting
extreme politics
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
- dirty politics
- almost no chances of advancement
- below industry wages
- few good folks that will assist you in achieving daily tasks or overcome issues
- lack of direction (pretty much every department is doing there own thing with no intention of achieving the greater good
- ego problems = extremely high
Excellent work environment, poor management
Cashier/ Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2016
Whilst my schedule fluctuated, a typical day at work went by fairly easily as the working environment was very welcoming and social. Communicating with the customers as I rang them through quickly became second nature as it made the process less time consuming and more enjoyable. In the beginning, management was very down-to-earth and understood their employees on a personal level, but as time passed so did the pleasantries and soon the workplace became a lot less friendly and began to feel uncomfortable as some of the managers acted unprofessional. Co-workers, on the other hand, had always been very accepting and helpful to each other in the workplace and I found that to be a very big advantage as it was my first job.
Pros
Friendly environment, aid was easily accessible
Cons
Poor management, constantly fluctuating schedule
fun, high paced work place
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ON8 January 2017
Typical day:
-punch in
-look over days work orders
-make sure shop is clean and safe
-start first job
-clean shop at the end of the day
- punch out

Loved the people i was working with, high energy, light harted people overall a great team to work with.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with a very tight scedule, if there was a mistake it would throw off your time. this taught me to be quick but careful with work. the easiest way to combat is was geet it right the first time, which i prided my self on.
For me the most enjoyable part of the job was the high pressure, fassted paced working enviroment. When im focused on my job the time flyes by and i enjoy the job much more.
Pros
free oil changes and tire swaps on down time
Cons
hour long lunches
Not a good welcoming work environment to be apart of
Senior Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 February 2016
The management is lacking severely. They do not help their student employees balance their schedules around school and they have no benefits that recognize their good employees. Always a fight about getting a day off for appointments ect..

They take 2$ off of every pay and you rarely see any benefit from the staff fund.

Not a very happy, welcoming environment to be apart of..
Cons
Poor management.

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location