Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,726 reviews matching the search
productive, fun workplace with good emmployees
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 7, 2016
- a typical day at work wasn't really stressful, but i have to meet up with my everyday expectations.
- i learned a lot about sales, how to talk people into getting what you are selling and how to overcome hard and soft NOs.
- the managers are really nice people, i had the opportunity to be trained by one of the managers during my training days.
- My co-workers are really supportive, even when i was nervous at first, i got a lot of encouragement from them.
- the hardest part of the job was getting through the day when ever i get a very hard No and also waking up so early in the morning to get to the office
- the most enjoyable part of the job was just having as much fun as you can while working.
Pros
free rides to work location
Cons
waking up so early in the morning
Great employees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Typical day at work is being a cashier and also dealing with people at customer service returning items.
I learned great customer service, dealing with the public all day and making customers satisfy about there experience.
The management is not the best since i started at canadian tire i have had 5 different cash managers.
My co-workers are great people and their presence makes you want to be at work.
The hardest part of my job is requesting hours, when your not in school you need money to live life and management has a hard time giving people more hours compared to people who are in school and getting more hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job is being around people who understand you.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
A good learning environment that should be viewed as such and not a permanent employment
Service Installer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 26, 2016
The hours were well varied giving you a good amount of free time. The position offers you a good opportunity to learn about the automotive industry with friendly coworkers. The relationship with management is a little lacking for service installers, but the void is filled by the mechanics who are helpful and friendly. Advancement requires education so unless you get offered an apprenticeship position, your pay and your position will not change. At the end of the day it is what you sign up for, a minimum wage part time job that should be seen as a learning opportunity to progress you on your path to the career you desire.
Pros
Lunch hour (un-paid), good hours, lots to learn.
Cons
No advancement, distant management.
Productive, fun
Department(s) Manager (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, ABMarch 14, 2016
Canadian Tire is a versatile place to work.
Always room for advancement if you're willing to work hard, in a productive, friendly manner.
Canadian Tire works along side each community to improve social programs.
Pros
Friendly
Busy and exciting workplace with lots of great people.
Cashier and Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Out of the few jobs I've had working for Canadian Tire was my favorite. All the staff and customers were extremely friendly and it made the day go by much faster. Management was extremely helpful and if you cooperate with them you'll be treated perfectly, by that I mean do your work and all is good. I had a few bad co-workers that didn't last very long but other then that they were fantastic. The hardest part of the job had to do with returns because when we couldn't do anything they were not very happy and often that turned into one of the customer care employee's yelled at. The most enjoyable part would have to be the people. Employees, management, customers; they all just made it so much easier to enjoy my job and do it well.
Great workers with a home welcoming feel
SEASONAL DEPARTMENT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCNovember 3, 2015
Everyone you work with at the Canadian tire west shore location is very great, hard working, and friendly. No one makes you feel insecure, bad, stressed, or upset. Some managers were awesome all around while others were very unfair and disrespectful to others. The store owner of the Langford Canadian tire is no better. The owner cuts hours of those who work full time without telling them, short staffs departments that need people the most, and scorns people who make tiny mistakes. The job otherwise is a great place to work hard and make friends but at the same time its hard to be happy there. 13 people quit there in 5 months.
Pros
Great coworkers, felt like a family, friendly people, new friendships, hard workers, welcoming, accepting
Cons
poor management, Disrespect from higher ups, little hours for departments, never enough workers, communication isn't there.
Great work environment, Benefits after probation, Great team
Warehouse Labourer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJuly 13, 2015
I've learned there is more to working in the warehouse than just dealing with unloading trucks. It takes memorizing numbers and corresponding products as well as managing time between the truck and taking calls for merchandise. The warehouse team is great. They work with you and help you along when you need it. I'd say the hardest part would be lifting objects like BBQs and exercise equipment.
Pros
Great team, caring management, benefits
Cons
extreme heavy lifting at times
every canadian tire store is a different experience
Seasonal & Garden Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, SOctober 8, 2015
I have worked at 3 Canadian tire stores and they were all different working a experience. the first 2 were great places to work. the last was a very stressful work place.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
work place moral depends on managers &owners.
Canadian Tire Environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire North Lethbridge, ABApril 20, 2016
In the Canadian Tire family there are a lot of good fun people to be around, (co-workers) but then there is the management. The management here is terrible, they are awful people who only care about them selves and want to make everyone else's time here miserable. the typical day at work was not bad, everything goes smoothly when certain managers aren't in at the same time. I learned to be patient with customers and also co-workers. the hardest part of my job is trying to keep the managers (head Cashier and general manager) happy, to me there seems like your always doing something wrong or not enough. the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers and co-workers.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
Head Cashier/ General Manager
Always a learning experience
Cashier,sales.merchandising (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 21, 2016
I dealt with all types of people everyday and learned to adapt to each individual.Everyday was a new adventure.A fast paced environment.The people i worked with were polite,hardworking and always helpful.Management tried to be as helpful and polite as they could be.Tho stressful at times i learned to take a deep breath and relax.The hardest part was dealing with those who refuse to believe anything u say tho that is what u were taught to say and do.Everyday was a challenge and i am proud to say i met those challenges with pride and a job well done.
Pros
Payed breaks
Management and Managers
Department Supervisor - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 26, 2016
Canadian Tire # 223
1711 Kenastan Blvd location.

Very good opportunity to grow within the store due to very few full time staff and very poor Management.
But, again, if you want to work, you should not be applying or accepting any management position.
The moment you are part of Management, you are expected to say YES to everything, no questions asked.
Accept fault for everything, even though mostly you are not even responsible / accountable for.
Very poorly managed, worst senior manager ever I had worked with, few of them have no idea what management actually means or what job responsibility / accountability means.
Pros
Customer Demographics / Location
Cons
Very poor Management / Worst Managers ever seen
Low Pay, Long Hours, Angry Customers, Little Training
Automotive Tower Operator (Former Employee) –  Willowdale, ONJune 3, 2015
I'm writing this review to hopefully save someone's time and effort.

This is a place for teenagers to get part time hours, no more, no less.
Don't expect a career out of this, at best you're gaining experience if you have little or no previous job experience.

Employees come and go on a weekly basis. When they're busy, they hire a bunch of people, then get rid of them.

Compensation is inadequate. Automotive customers are usually angry and upset. Little actual training provided, just your usual pointless online training process.

No benefits even for Full Time Employees. At store 192, they offer a job then get you to sign up with a job recruiter agency and sign papers saying this agency found you the job. Now the government of Ontario is paying half of your salary for Canadian Tire.

Majority of the time your uniform is not even provided, it comes out of your pay.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Angry Customers, Low Compensation, Little Training, No advancement, No Benefits, Paid Uniform
Fun if you have friends to work with, hours aren't the best
Stock Person, Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 24, 2016
Long hours always on your feet. I learned how to face items, report damaged items, find items using a hand-held scanner, locate items up high on top shelves using a ladder, creating price tags and labels. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers who happened to be friends from school. The hardest part was that my feet and legs would become so sore. Very short shifts during the weekdays if you are a student (4 - 4.5 hours). Only long shifts available for students are on weekends (8 hours).
Pros
Fun if your friends are there to keep you company while you work
Cons
Always on your feet
Easy and relatively rewarding job, poor mangement
Garden Centre worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 22, 2016
CTC is an alright entry-level job for students, and the pay is pretty good considering the work you put in. I learned a lot about how the customer-service industry works. Management is very poor though, and as a result, turnover is extremely high (at the particular store I worked at, anyway). For the most part the coworkers are great, probably the best part actually. The most difficult part of the job is coping with how short staffed the departments usually are, when you are constantly running around trying to help customers meanwhile the ones waiting to be helped are growing ever more impatient by the second.
Pros
Good coworkers, easy job for the most part
Cons
Bad/corrupt management, inefficient work policies
Great job for a student, to become more familiar how to make money for life.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
I have been working in Canadian Tire during the summer brake 2015, and overall experience is good, as you always have to meet and help new people. This job made me better at critical thinking, as well as better at time managing. A become a great "multitasker", and become more familiar with Canadian culture.
Pros
Paid breaks, good amount of hours
Cons
In a long run, becomes rather boring then challenging
Productive and very friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 25, 2016
A typical day at work for a cashier at Canadian Tire stands at the front of the tills and offers to help customers if in need. Cashiers also clean, do returns, and refill the toilet paper in the washrooms. I learned valuable customer service skills and social skills as well. I've also learned how to manage and count a till. The management was very good. Friendly co-workers made it easier to pass the day. The hardest part about being a cashier was trying to help and explain situations to angry customers. But the most enjoyable part of my job was becoming friends with my co-workers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
If the store was slow, there was nothing to do.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
It is a pleasant place to work and there is job security.
The management are well trained and polite to there subject.
good salaries and well behaved people.
They reduce your hours specially if u are black.
They prefers Philipino's to get more hrs.
Pros
non-toxic place to work
Cons
reduce hours some times.
How I felt about Canadian Tire
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 19, 2016
It was a nice job at the start but Management is what I would say was the tough part of the job. They would come down on you if the truck was not unloaded and the warehouse was completely full of merchandise. So I didn't really like management. I would say the best part of the job was the fact it was my first job ever and it paid for my whole university education. Some of my coworkers were ok but not all. It was like a battleground with everyone who didn't like someone would start arguements with them and that wasn't pleasant. It wasn't a good place to work. Not good pay.
Pros
I didn't like the pay.
Cons
the pay however paid for my university education and kept me out of debt
Not a great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 22, 2016
I only worked at Canadian Tire for a short time. At first everything was great. The people were nice and I enjoyed working but when the winter came the store manager started letting people go for no reason. They stopped giving me hours totally out of the blue. I never did anything wrong and when I asked if I would be getting an hours again my manager lied to me saying that I would be getting shifts again at the beginning of April. I found out from one of my co-workers that since I was unable to work full-time due to the fact that I am still in school that they just stopped giving me hours in hopes that I would quit. I am not currently working there
Cons
Lied too
understaff
Manager (Former Employee) –  torontoSeptember 16, 2015
No personal growth, politics are dancing, favoritism place a big role in the company
salary is low and long hours
stocking all day and customers are pleasant
Pros
not applicable

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location