Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An unbelievable learning experience that brought out my greatest strengths
Senior Managerial Intern (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABJanuary 13, 2015
There was no typical day at work with this internship: every day hosted new challenges and learning experiences.

What I learned:
-the never-ending challenges of a big-box retail store, primarily customer service, merchandising, inventory constraints, employee and customer health and safety, and the cross-functional inputs and systems that contribute to ordering inventory
-unique pricing strategies based on historical data and what-if analysis (Excel)
-the importance of communication from lowest to highest levels of employees

Management: I was extremely fortunate to be mentored by not only Department and Senior Managers but also the Dealer of the store (Store 341 consistently records sales in the top 10th percentile of Canadian Tires nationwide)
Slow pace work but great staff
DJ Skagen (Current Employee), Ssm, ONJanuary 12, 2015
I am a cashier at Canadian Tire. I typically work at the mall entrance and provide customer service at that end. I scan customers items, call for and write rain checks, provide bag checks to ensure no unpaid merchandise leaves the store, sharpen skates, cut keys and sell hunting and fishing licenses. My co-workers are great people and we work well as a team. The hardest part of the job was to deal with the unhappy customers when an item they wanted was out of stock but I did my best to ensure they left with a solution to their problem. The rest of the job was moderately enjoyable.
Great starter job for the budding Mechanic
Oil and tire changer/Shipping and Recieveing (Former Employee), Casselman ONJanuary 9, 2015
Excellent learning and working environment for someone looking at a career as a mechanic. Very patient managers when first starting. Also can work in other departments to learn retail and inventory procedures to gain experience.
CT #349 & CT #35
Customer Service (Former Employee), Saint John & Fredericton, NBJanuary 7, 2015
dealt with customers and helped them with their issues and help customers decide which product to buy and why it is better then the cheaper version of that product. The management was extremely friendly and always there to help assist you if needed. The co-workers were always around if you needed an answer quick. the hardest part of the job i must say is not being able to return something and the customer gets angry. The most enjoyable part is when the elderly come in and make your day.
Very organized but not accommodating for student schedule
Hardware Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: break room always had free food, working indoors, very easy to deal with customers
Cons: unprofessional managers, hours were not flexible for school
A typical day at Canadian Tire involved lots of walking and talking to customers ; Helping them find any products they are looking for as well as how to use them. At the end of the day we would clean the store and organize all the products on the shelves. What I had learned from working there was how to talk to customers in a polite fashion and how to multi task between many jobs I would have to do. The co-workers were very friendly but the managers were a little unprofessional with the things that they would say in front of customers. I personally didn't find anything that was difficult while working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was mixing paints for customers because it was very interesting and I got to give honest opinions on what colours would go well together.
Educational Outdoor Retail
Horticultural assistant (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 7, 2015
You learn a LOT about plants at this job. Also gives you chance to work labour and retail sort of at the same time. The management is very kind and understand.
Productive company
Cashier (Current Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 7, 2015
You'll get motivated everyday. Teamwork is a must. They have a good management.
Great place for students to work
Sports/Hardware Clerk Merchandiser (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunches, easy work
Cons: it's retail
Very friendly staff, and management, bought lunches (pizza, coffee) once a month.
Start out with stock, put out as much as possible, else go in overstock.
Check for low or out of stock facings and fill up from overstock.
Help customers with general inquiries and locate products, carry out if necessary (treadmill, pool, canoe, etc)
Fun place to work
Fill Crew (Former Employee), Stouffville, ONJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: flexiable shifts/hours
A great place to work because of its friendly and helpful co-workers. Management team that are always willing to guide and assist in day to day duties.
I am willing to work and willing to learn.
Part Time Job in Canadian Tire (Current Employee), 2900 Major Mackenzie Dr. EastJanuary 3, 2015
Work in Canadian Tire three months. They teach me how to change tire and co-workers they are really nice. I am happy to work there. Good mood in work place is important.
Security is top concern
Order Picker (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: $14 hourly pay plus vacation and holiday pay, tim hortons inside
Cons: too hard to work in some areas(area 77 and 81) - back pain, work needs to be done swiftly
Great people to work with. They do have a labour tracking system for Order Picking Department which is the harder aspect of this job. That's why shipping and receiving departments are better to work for.
Manager was awful
Sales Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee), Renfrew, ONDecember 31, 2014
Pros: gas bar was nice
Cons: long hrs no breaks
didn't mine working at the gas bar but the manager made it really hard and difficult to work there for me or anyone there. Alot of people quit there.
Lots of experience to go around
Service Technician (Former Employee), NewminusDecember 27, 2014
Pros: i liked working on cars and trucks even as a hobby
Cons: seasonal, lack of information from employer.
there was lots i learned there, breaking down tires and full tire rotation i was the smaller work kind of things take less time but it was a common stuff to work on, i was given the tasks of studding new tires balancing tires checking for exhaust leaks, oil checks and replacements of filters and oils, difference between regular air and nitrogen in tires,

hardest part of the job was the busy spells were you would have 8 customers coming in at once and not wanting to have them wait and rushing to get it all done, but i got use to it after a little bit.

best part of the whole job was seeing the difference in cars and trucks and the makes and how they are built so differently.
Fun workplace
Sales Rep (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCDecember 25, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: late hours
The most enjoyable parts of this job were the co-workers. I learned to finish tasks well and as fast as possible through dinner rushes.
I like the job but i had to live there were down sizing
Promotional Staff (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 24, 2014
Pros: 600pm to 700pm
Cons: 300 pm to 1200am
I love the job i had i ulooded the truck every night it was fun i had a good people that i work with
only starting out
stocker (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONDecember 20, 2014
i was a young person starting out so not much to say otherthan they gave me a shot at a job not what i would do again
Productive and fun working place
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee), Surrey, BCDecember 17, 2014
On a typical day at work I was a cashier, Handled Customers bagged items cashed out customers.I also helped put away returns and organized the products. The hardest part of my job was remembering all the codes and product numbers, But I overcame that and it was easier. The most enjoyably part of the day was when I got to be at my till, I loved when it was busy.
fast paced work
Customer Service (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONDecember 16, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: no breaks or raises..or time clock
I learned how to work alone and deal with whatever comes my way on my own....system crashes...upset customers...employees needs
A day of work as an employee at Canadian Tire
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONDecember 14, 2014
Pros: long lunch
Cons: a lot of movement
A typical day at work would be usually stocking shelves or helping customers. I`ve learned a lot from working at Canadian Tire. I`ve learned hoe to improvise, problem solve and how to get along with people yo don't like. The management there was not always the best. You`d get the odd day where your boss would be in a bad mood and make you work hard. Other days they would be in a good mood and be nice on you. Theres obviously going to be the people at work you cant stand. there where only a couple of people I didn't really like, but I got along with them pretty well. Hardest part of the job was facing. Facing is when the store closes and you have to fill all the empty homes, make sure everything is at its right home and back on the shelves, make sure everything is brought to the front of the shelves and last you had to make sure your department was clean. The most enjoyable part was meeting NHL superstars or the odd famous person that would come in.
No one store is run the same.
Hardware and Décor Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 9, 2014
Pros: small christmas giveaway, good customer reviews reward 10$ gift cards
Cons: no annual raise, very little room for advancement, enjoyment of workplace is heavily reliant on people
Canadian Tire stores are different where ever you go and this is because each store is run differently by their respective owners and managers. Some stores are severely lacking in customer service while others are incredibly organized. My particular store is very well managed and the people are pleasant, for the most part. I've learned the best way to get through the day is to nod, agree, and keep yourself busy with stock or customers. The hardest part of this job is to advise customers. A majority of customers will bombard you with questions that you're just not trained/informed enough to answer. It's also likely your manager doesn't know how to answer specific question as well. Also, if you're planning on moving up in this retail, make sure your store gives the opportunity because at my particular store, we didn't get yearly raises or bonuses.

About Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited is one of Canada's most-shopped general retailers and the country's largest sporting goods – Read more

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Photos