Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 2,119 reviews matching the search
Good company weak manager
Marketing/Merchandising Pricing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2016
seemed like a good place to work but outdated management styles create a negative culture and outdated systems make things painstaking to get done day to day.
A great part time job
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
I have now been working at Canadian Tire for almost 10 years and still value and appreciate everything that I have learned. My employment has allowed me to grow as a person and as a team member. Management has always been understanding of my situations.
Pros
Great co-workers, communication, big store, learning every department is encouraged
Cons
Can become very busy at times with a shortage of staff
comfortable and fun
Head Office, Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
I enjoyed my time as a data entry clerk at Canadian Tire. It is hard to speak to what being a full time employee was like as I didn't actually work there everyday. I was a part time student- This being said management was very understanding of the time off I needed for studies, exams etc. If this industry was something I was interested in I definitely would look into working here again.
managers were equipped to teach well and good to work for.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 February 2017
A typical day can change be busy or not as.
Learned how to communicate with various people. Learn where things are in a store.
Management treated their staff fairly.
Hardest part if whole day was totally busy.
Staff and customers . Christmas Party.
Staff were very good at teaching
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
none enjoyed going to work
disorganized
Tire/Lube tech (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 July 2016
a typical day of work was to come in tidy the shop while waiting for a list from management of the daily tasks he/she would like completed for the day. the tasks could be anything from my job title of tire and lube technician. to service/parts writer, to stock boy, to maintence or janitorial duties through the store, to a builder of large stock items to custom pieces of equipment to fit what purpose would be needed in the store. I loved that there was only the journeyman and myself in the shop, it allowed me to go way past the position of being a tire/lube tech, aswell hoping that it would also earn my way to the position of my apprenticeship (after receiving my new journeyman).
The reason for my leave from Canadian tire was due to no benefits after 2 years, no apprenticeship, aswell the management being so disorganised, dysfunctional and creating several arguments with not only the staff but the customers, As I did not want to build my name and reputation in an environment such as that and took on the statistics Canada position full time and have had a blast ever since.
Pros
tonnes of 1 on 1 and hands on exspierence
Cons
no benefits, no apprenticeship after 1.5 years
a fast pace establishment with great employees that hrlp you in need with tough tasks like heavy lifting or finishing freights.
Merchandiser/Sales (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills Pkwy, NS10 February 2017
Canadian tire is a pretty good job and can get a bit overwhelming when you first start by only for a day or two then it gets pretty fun and interesting when you learn new things and finish whimis each year.
Pros
good management
Cons
low pay for everyone including managers, hours drop
Not Worth The Headache
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB19 October 2016
Canadian Tire is a terrible place to work. Very Very poor management.
Favoritism
Low wages
No room for advancement
BAD BAD BAD
Cons
A good start for learning customer service skills.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 December 2016
A good starting job where I learned basic customer service and sales skills. The co-workers and management were satisfactory. The hardest part of job was trying to keep busy, as when the store was not busy there was a limited amount of tasks I could do. However the best part of the job was everyone's willingness to get along and work together as a team.
Pros
Good team/management, Good learning experience.
Cons
Slow days.
Good place to start as a young individual
Automotive Service Advisor, Tire Installer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 August 2016
A typical day at work for me is always different because I can do many different jobs at Canadian tire. Currently I have been doing automotive service and parts, or I have been working in the shop doing tire changeovers and oil changes. When I first began at Canadian Tire I knew nothing about vehicles, after being there for close to 5 years I feel much more confident on my knowledge with them. Management at Canadian Tire was average, you have your good managers and bad I think it really all comes down to communication and work ethic because in that position you need to be able to set an example for your co workers and be able to lead them properly through the departments priorities. My most current co workers have been some of the best because we communicate so well and make sure to do our due diligence to complete jobs properly and efficiently. The hardest part of the job would have to be working with irate customers and since I work in the automotive department they are quite frequent but it also teaches you to be calm and patient under pressure and to listen to the customer to find out the best means to a solution. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the knowledge I gained.
Pros
Knowledge gained
Cons
no real room for large advancement
Summary of Work at Canadian Tire
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2016
A typical day at work is fairly busy. Some of the things I learned were good customer service experience, stocking shelves, maintaining a positive attitude. Management was very reasonable. My co-workers were very helpful and nice to be around. The hardest part of my job is when I have to lift anything from the trailers outside.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers.
Astonishingly Shameful Management
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC12 September 2016
I spent about 3 weeks of my life wasting away working for the imbeciles that manage the Port Coquitlam location. The management staff are some of the most annoying , uneducated stuck up , grumpy , old and revolting people ever !

This .... FILTH of management should all be sifted through and replaced .
They do not understand how to train employees as every staff member despised many of them. Nor do they follow their own company rules.

I would have rather spent my days spent in a cesspit than having to deal with the baffoons that work in said store .
Pros
Lowest staff members were cool
Cons
Management is revolting
good show
Technician (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 October 2016
Canadian tire is a place where you can start from the bottom and with hard work can work your way to the top with raises and job security, would work for again
A good learning environment that should be viewed as such and not a permanent employment
Service Installer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 April 2016
The hours were well varied giving you a good amount of free time. The position offers you a good opportunity to learn about the automotive industry with friendly coworkers. The relationship with management is a little lacking for service installers, but the void is filled by the mechanics who are helpful and friendly. Advancement requires education so unless you get offered an apprenticeship position, your pay and your position will not change. At the end of the day it is what you sign up for, a minimum wage part time job that should be seen as a learning opportunity to progress you on your path to the career you desire.
Pros
Lunch hour (un-paid), good hours, lots to learn.
Cons
No advancement, distant management.
Family culture atmosphere. Innovative, professional, fast-paced culture.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 February 2017
An excellent place to be employed both financially and for career challenge. You have autonomy. Team building within the organization. An excellent opportunity for personal growth.
Pros
Excellent work atmosphere, profit-sharing, stocks, etc.
Cons
Distance
company was descent to work for
stock person (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VI27 December 2016
the company was a great to work for. the other looked up to me because of my vast knowledge of a wide variety of things in every department. I did not mind working 6 days a week though for the amount of work and extras I used to do the pay did not equal out. the owner did not like to pay people for their hard work any more than he had to.
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
top management truly shows their greed
Good place
Automotive Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 September 2016
Great place to work. Love Canadian tire. The co workers are the salt of the earth. Free lunches, great management, flexible ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!$$!$!!!!!!
Pros
Great benefits
Nice place to get a start in life
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 February 2017
During my time working for Canadian Tire i was never put down or made feel lesser than anyone else. even the owner would occasionally sweep. they put a big emphasis on hard work. Very reasonable people and you'd have a good time working here.
Pros
Excellent management
Cons
Long periods of standing
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
not fun at all
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
typical day is being constantly yelled at and told its the wrong way with no help management is lacking no care for employees health or saftey and not willing to help when an employee is struggling completly backwards place to work with shady condition and all managers are shady
Pros
free lunch once a month
Cons
shady managment that dont care about you and theyll even tell you that
Excellent work environment, poor management
Cashier/ Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2016
Whilst my schedule fluctuated, a typical day at work went by fairly easily as the working environment was very welcoming and social. Communicating with the customers as I rang them through quickly became second nature as it made the process less time consuming and more enjoyable. In the beginning, management was very down-to-earth and understood their employees on a personal level, but as time passed so did the pleasantries and soon the workplace became a lot less friendly and began to feel uncomfortable as some of the managers acted unprofessional. Co-workers, on the other hand, had always been very accepting and helpful to each other in the workplace and I found that to be a very big advantage as it was my first job.
Pros
Friendly environment, aid was easily accessible
Cons
Poor management, constantly fluctuating schedule