Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

1.3K reviews

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Learned many new skills working here and also learned new things about myself that can be used for different jobs in life.
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 29, 2013
Pros: co-workers were awesome, store owner is awesome
Cons: no flexibility whatsoever, promised raises but never fulilled
A typical day at work would be to open the Customer Service desk at 7:45 a.m and have it ready or 8:00. This includes counting tills, a change till and cleaning and organizing the desk. I also would write a break schedule for all Customer Service and cashiers. I worked 8 hours shifts which included various tasks such as laminating, multi-tasking, sign making, helping customers find products, other stores, returns, exchanges, etc. I learned how to use the computer quickly and effectively and how to handle large amounts of customers quickly, politely, and always sent them away happy. I learned how to keep calm with difficult customers and always try to come to a compromise with them. The management was good for the most part, although it did have some rough edges such as flexibility, promised raises and promotions, etc. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the management, other than that the job is fun, enjoyable and somewhat challenging each day.
Fun, interesting, always something new
Auto Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: discount on car repairs and merchandise. owner would have bbq or we would have potluck
Cons: unhappy walk in customers, especially durning busy times, (like seasonal tire changes) they cannot understand that if they do not have an appointment, we cannot do them right away
I enjoyed working with Canadian Tire, I normally worked evening shifts and I would start my day by asking what vehicles came in and what still had to be done. Help any Customers at the counter or on the phone. Go over Work Orders with Customer and make sure we have approval before any work is done on Vehicle.
I learned a lot about Vehicles not just about the engine but also tires.
How to do up repair orders, order parts and how to quote work orders.
I enjoyed management if you had a question or problem they would be there for you.
All my Co-Workers where fun to be with and we always helped each other when needed.
The hardest part was telling a Customer that I know that has low income or could not afford repairs that their Vehicle is unsafe for the roads.
The most enjoyable was the customers especially the regular ones as they would always have a smile and a kind word for you.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere, nice employee's, discounts.
Cons: Steady shifts, long hours
A typical day working at Canadian Tire for me consisted of a minimal number of things. First, since things were slow in the morning I would do stock work to fill the shelves while also ensuring that they were organized. I would also help any customers I seen or any that approached me during this time. When stock was finished, I would walk around and make sure that customers knew what they were looking for or directed them to the area that they wanted to go. I learned many and honed my customer service skills, communication skills. The hardest part of this job would have been helping a large number of customers at once while other employee's were on their break or lunch. My multitasking skills are good, but stocking and helping about 5 customers at once can get one or two aggravated. Some were impatient and did not want to wait. Them ost enjoyable part of working at Canadian Tire, was making the customers happy. That is Canadian Tire's number 1 job, and I excelled at it. The co-workers were great, and helped me if I needed anything. Working at Canadian Tire has been a great experience and it certainly helped me grow and develop.
HORRIBLE IF NEWLY HIRED
WAREHOUSE (Former Employee), WINDSOR ONJuly 9, 2015
Pros: ZERO
Cons: UNPAID 15 MINUTE BREAKS, HOT, DIRTY, LOW PAY, LOTS OF WORK
NO BREAKS WHAT-SO-EVER IF YOU WORK 5 HOURS STRAIGHT.

-no water fountain for anyone
-hot, dirty, no AC or fans, in backroom
-inventory is scattered in unorganized shelving locations

-stock is jammed everywhere-so if a box of chips came in with an expiration date of say 90 days--odds are it will never reach the sales floor.

-you must receive truck BY HAND and every product is physically touched-you are on receiving for 5-6 hours straight.

-scanners are confusing, often malfunction.

-you have to multi-task big time-gather all the carts, receive the truck, move skids, scan and put all product away, do carry outs, find product for customers and set it out in back room, place HEAVY items away by yourself up a ladder, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

-YOU MUST carry a pen, marker, knife, scanning gun, scan card, pad of paper, work phone, keys, steel toed shoes, at ALL TIMES.

all this for slightly above minimum wage.

GOOD LUCK !
Solid introductory job for aspiring young people.
Lot Attendant & Seasonal Garden Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2015
Pros: General work experience and was very easy as a first job.
Cons: Weather in Alberta.
I worked in Parking Lot Attendant or as the unofficial term was "the Cart Boy", it involved bringing stray carts from outside the store and putting them back in the cart corrals inside the store, additionally I'd help where needed for example helping someone carry a heavy load to their car or just helping another department with a time consuming or labor intensive task. A typical day at work involved lots of customer interaction, a fair amount of physical labor and overall nice colleagues. I learned how to interact with customers in a fair but professional manner regardless of customer behavior. The management was critical to daily tasks. Co workers were friendly and hard working while completing tasks assigned to them in timely fashions. The hardest part of my job was that it was primarily an outdoor job in Alberta. The best part of my job was positive customer interaction, having someone enter the store and me being a important part in making their visit as short and painless as possible really put a small smile on face.
its just a place to work
cashier (Current Employee), miramichi,nbApril 25, 2012
Pros: vacation pay
Cons: the hours, (bad throughout the year except in the summer)
my typical day at work would be i go in at 5 on week days and just be friendly with the customers and ring through their items, count my cash at the end of my shift. i haven't really learned very much working there. the floor managers are great, but the general manager is not someone who is easy to talk to, she is a workaholic and believes students should be on call for whenever they are needed and shouldn't have a life outside of work and when asking for time off you are normally freaked out at and your schedule suffers greatly to either no shifts at all or only one a week, and this can go one for weeks and even a month.My co-workers are great, i'm friends with everyone that works inside the store young and old, other then the garage staff because i never deal with them. the hardest part of my job is tip toeing around my manager, the most enjoyable part of my job is helping the people that walk in and out of the doors every day.
Great place to work, with employees that were easy to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee), Dryden, ONMarch 11, 2013
Pros: great co-workers.
Cons: lots of standing.
A typical day at work for me was getting to Canadian Tire and going counting a tray of cash to use at my till. I signed in and rang people through all day. Occasionaly I would have another job to do, like assemble furniture, put away stock or cleam up. The managers were easy to talk to and were quite helpful for all my questions. My co-workers were made my work day much more enjoyable they were the true backbone to the store and I learned a lot about customer serivce from them. Something that was really positive was how flexible the management was with my own schedule while I was in highschool.
I think that the hardest part of the job was probably in the summer when I had to constantly water the plants outside in the heat, it wasn't that bad, but I wasn't properly trained at the beginging and had no prior knowledge on plants so I had a tough time trying to help the customers. The most enjoyable part was helping the customers with things I was good at. I loved when I was able to help them with something I knew about or could find easily, which wasn't always the case. But, I did try with a smile!
Productive and fun
Sports (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 31, 2012
Pros: two fifteen min breaks ( paid) one hour lunch ( no pay)
Cons: i wish to interact more with people
I start at 8:00am to 6:00pm, I get my RF gun and start putting away the stock. When I finish with my stock I ask my manager what he would like me to do. Today I did aisle msintenance. I also help the customers inbetween. I learned how to find out prices on the computer, on my RF gun, where to find stock in the warehouse, how to make shelf, swing and sale signs. I have a great relationship with my manager we get along great, if I ever need to know something I ask him to be 100% sure. I also have a great relationship with my co- workers, we always help eachother get our jobs done on time. If one finishes before the other, we help eachother out. The hardest part of the job is my perfectionism, I like to have everything perfect and in order so when I see a lot of stock or items in places they shouldn't be it makes me extra busy so I cant take care of that too. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I always have work to do. I am never just sitting there trying to find customers to help, I am always on the floor busy and when I see customers I ask if they ever need any help.
Productive work environment with good co-workers, but below-average management.
Sporting Goods Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Free lunches.
Cons: Occasional poor attitude from management.
A typical day at work included stocking shelves with product, assisting customers and co-workers, as well as maintaining a clean and tidy store.

I learned a lot from Canadian Tire, including how to handle difficult situations with customers and/or co-workers, and it helped develop my confidence when interacting with others.

Management at Canadian Tire was below average, to say the least. Most of management were nice people with a great understanding of the employees, but there were also managers who were unapproachable and abrasive. This resulted in many days where I'd interact with disgruntled co-workers.

My co-workers were great. I worked alongside professional, courteous, and caring people. The only exception I have is that because of the way management treated employees, many employees would become easily irritable or upset, making it difficult to even interact with them.

The hardest part of my job were the difficult customers. A customer would treat me or another employee with a great amount of disrespect, simply because they were in a bad mood or they weren't nice. Mind you, this wasn't the same experience with every customer, but this happened quite often.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers.
Co-workers are amazing, advancement and raises are not.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJune 28, 2013
Pros: make good friends, lots of experience
Cons: working under pressure constantly, lots of nights and weekend hours
Typically I handle the returns and exchanges behind the customer service desk. I organize all the cashier and other customer service breaks, making sure they happen on time. I make sure the cashes are clean and organized, as well as the customer service desk. I help out the other departments with facing and occasionally merchandising and labeling.
Working at customer service I have learned how to stay calm and problem solve under pressure. I have learned how to handle all types of customers to ensure they have the best possible experience.
My customer service manager is one of the reasons I have worked at CT so long. She is friendly, supportive, and a wonderful manager. The general manager is a hard working individual, he always puts pressure on us to make sure we are preforming at 100 percent. My co-workers are fun, helpful, and extremely productive.
The hardest part of my job is trying to prove that I deserve a raise. Another hard thing is remaining professional while difficult customers yell and insult me. The most enjoyable part is calming those customers down and coming to a peaceful resolution where they leave with an enjoyable experience and want to come back.
No one store is run the same.
Hardware and Décor Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 9, 2014
Pros: small christmas giveaway, good customer reviews reward 10$ gift cards
Cons: no annual raise, very little room for advancement, enjoyment of workplace is heavily reliant on people
Canadian Tire stores are different where ever you go and this is because each store is run differently by their respective owners and managers. Some stores are severely lacking in customer service while others are incredibly organized. My particular store is very well managed and the people are pleasant, for the most part. I've learned the best way to get through the day is to nod, agree, and keep yourself busy with stock or customers. The hardest part of this job is to advise customers. A majority of customers will bombard you with questions that you're just not trained/informed enough to answer. It's also likely your manager doesn't know how to answer specific question as well. Also, if you're planning on moving up in this retail, make sure your store gives the opportunity because at my particular store, we didn't get yearly raises or bonuses.
Great part-time worklife experience
CASHIER (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 23, 2014
Pros: the people you get to work with
Cons: no breaks on 4-hour shifts
A day in the life of a Canadian Tire cashier can be described in two words fast-paced. After dealing will millions of customers day after day it can become overwhelming at first but ultimately very rewarding. You have got to have patience and be empathetic. Always be on your toes though because you never what will happen next. You get to work with some of the most amazing people in the world. The relationships you get to build are priceless and you never want to give them up for the world. Joking around on the PA system and calling department attendants 20 times over are just the littlest things that make the Canadian Tire experience an unforgettable one. The managers are cool and the atmosphere is easy-going, most of the time. When your lines are so long that they start to enter the other departments near by and you think it will never end are actually some of the greatest days you will have at Canadian Tire. At the end of the day the customers are what make you day. I recommend Canadian Tire as a great part-time job for anyone who may be seeking. The Canadian Tire money, oh the money... Well all I can say is, that is one thing I wish to forget.
Slow, underpaying job
Automotive Parts Counter (Current Employee), West Kelowna, BCNovember 27, 2014
Pros: discount card, enjoyable staff
Cons: low paying, limited discounts
A typical day at work would be:
Me getting to work myself, going upstairs and putting on my uniform plus headset. Then head downstairs and log in with Costar, clock in. Then there would usually be stock in the mornings, or my supervisor would write something for us to do down. And of course, deal with the customers with their questions, concerns, quotes for tires, battery core returns etc.
I learned lots about the program Costar but, not much about cars I didn't already know.
Most of my co-workers were very nice and easy to get along with, I pretty much get along with anyone.
The hardest part of the job is probably finding tires in the huge shop or tire racks!
That was my job day in and out. Was paid $10/hr with a %17.5 discount card (excluding batteries, tires, rims etc.).
There is no advancement in sight, looking for a job in Kamloops or in Kelowna to be closer to family (living in West Kelowna).
They did allow me to bend my schedule around my gym schedule (usually) and breaks were adequate.
I HOPE THE REVIEW BELOW WILL GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE OF HOW I WORK
Floor Manager (Current Employee), TORONTOJune 12, 2012
I START AT 4AM I TAKE CARE OF ALL DESTRESSED MERCHANDISE I SCAN THE DEAL IN EVERY DEPARTMENT AND THEN GO BACK AND SCAN 4 ALISE IN EACH DEPARTMENT TO FILL HOLES AND ANY LOWS I WALK ALL DEPARTMENTS AND MAKE A TO DO LIST FOR ALL DEPARTMENT MANAGERS AND OR SUPERVISORS I MAKE SURE ALL CASHIES ARE READY FOR OPENING I MAKE SURE ENTRANCE AND EXIT ARE CLEAN DUSTED AND PRICED I CHECK TO MAKE SURE FACEING WAS DONE PROPERLY I OVER SEE CUSTOMER SERVICE CASHIERS AND FLOOR STAFF I DO 100 PRICE CHECKS IN EVERY DEPARTMENT SCAN BIN CAPS AND DO AILSE MATANENCE I AM HEAD OF CT SAFETY E LEARNING SOCIAL COM. I DO ALL BIKE REPAIRS FORMS BATTIE REPAIRS FORMS AS IS PROGRAM I AM THE SAFETY CORRANATER I AM THE OPENING MANAGER I HAVE WORKED IN EVERY DEPARTMENT AND KNOW MOST OF THE STOCK I AM TRAINED IN CASH BALANCING.THESE ARE SOME OF MY DUTYS EVERY DAY IS A LEARNING DAY I AM THIRD MANAGER WE HAVE A GM THEN STORE MANAGER AND THEN FLOOR MANAGER AND THEN DEPT. MANAGER THEN SUPERVISORS I GET ALONG WELL WITH CO- WORKERS THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO DO BUT NOT ENOUGH TIME WORKING WITH OTHERS AND BEGOOD AT WHAT I DO
Fun environment, not so fun management
Flex Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 30, 2015
Pros: Always work to do, Great customers, and coworker company
Cons: Messy coworkers, Rude managers
I would come in, check which department I was in, I was trained everywhere and they liked to switch me around. I would go to said department and check the to do list and get to it. Generally the to do list had jobs like fill stock, clean displays, relabel everything, put up sale signs while I do all of those things I would also help with customer inquiries and possibly get called up to cover cash for someones 15 minute break or when there was a high customer volume. there was a break every 2 hours and we would eat in a lunch room upstairs.
I learned about the P.O.S system working here and I learned about the RF gun system. I learned how to fix the printer when it went down and how to unclog the trash compactor. I was trained on a manual pump truck and a learned a lot about flowers and gardening

the hardest part of my job was dealing with my direct manager, she was very mean to customers and employees alike

The best part of my job was working with my coworkers and helping customers.
Store manager is the worst to work for
No particular job title in that store (Former Employee), BarrhavenMay 22, 2013
Pros: great hours
Cons: nasty store manager
The store manager in this store is just nasty. He yells at everyone, even front of customers and other employees Treats staff like dirt, makes you feel like dirty. He doesn't care if he makes you cry or not. One day he will tell you what you should be doing every day, next day things change then gives you troublefor not doing it. Has no respect for his staff at all.
Doesn't like to be talk back to because he knows he is wrong so tries to make you look like you were wrong.
I have never seen so many people quit their jobs because of him. No wonder there is alway job openings in that store. Something should be done about him, or that store is going down fast. Maybe the staff would be able to do their job without the stress he puts on them and the store owner might be able to keep staff working.
It is like working on a chaingang for a prison.
On the bright side, other staff members are friendly but you sure can tell everyone is stressed.
No job is worth crying over and he doesn't care if he makes you cry or not.
Note to the store owner, please do something about this man.
Productive and
Cashier (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2013
Pros: excellent hours
Cons: poor management
My duties included greeting customers with a positive and welcoming attitude, making sure customers’ expectations were met, and providing customers with the right information. A typical day at work consisted of handling cash transactions, greeting and welcoming customers with a positive attitude, and helping customers find what they were looking for and making them enjoy their stay at Canadian Tire. What I learned the most with this job is that I must have patience and work well under stress. Of course the store will not have every product and may not satisfy every customer but it is my job to remain calm and try to ease the situation. The hardest part of the job would have to be pleasing every customer but I try to my best to remain positive and understand the circumstances that they may have encountered. The coworkers I work with are amazing and if anyone needed help understanding how to do something, someone would be able to help out. The management was alright. There were times where I felt I wasn't being treated fairly and felt I was looked down upon. I was never told I was doing a good job even when I would do more than I was asked for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Port Elgin, ONFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: worked for there for a long time was a good environment.
Cons: need more relevant work experience.
I really enjoyed my job at Canadian Tire. I worked there for over 6 years, and was employed in several different departments. I contiuned to grow within the company. But now being in my third year of university I need more relevant work experience.

Extended responsibility, not only completed transactions and held the responsibilities of a regular cashier, but also was one of the few students that ran Customer Service on my own. Often having to deal with disgruntled customers I discovered how to deal with unhappy customers and make the best out of certain situations. Duties included: training new employees, returns and exchanges, calling other stores, ordering products, and organizing the cash area (electronic items behind cash, candy, etc.)
Skills developed: strong verbal communication; interpersonal skills; working as part of a team as well as individually; ability to meet customer’s needs; follow strict guidelines; organization skills; customer satisfaction
Seasonal/Outdoors dept. employee
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: profit sharing, good work environment
Cons: (some) rude customers, little opportunity for advancement (as a student)
Typical day at work may include any of the following: making sales, cleaning up department's section of the store, stocking shelves, organizing product on shelf or in warehouse, cleaning up messes left by customers, talking to customers, offering retail advice to customers, offering mechanical advice to customers on products handled by our store (by our department specifically), collecting carts from parking lot, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, setting up / taking down displays, BBQ/patio furniture assembly, aisle reconstruction at seasonal changeover periods, and loading/unloading vehicles.

Gained insight into retail work. Learned to manage customers (often several at once).

Fellow employees were main reason for staying as long as I did. Work environment friendly, management fairly personable.

Hardest part of the job was staying helpful, polite, and attentive in front of customers who were decidedly not.

Most enjoyable part of the job was my fellow employees.
Canadian Tire Financial Services was an interesting and growing place to work. I was there at a time of enormous growth. I always had good managers.
Clerk (Former Employee), Welland, ONJune 27, 2014
Pros: good atmospher, friendly co-workers, work that i liked, being an avid reader
Cons: there were none. i was lucky and always worked with lovely people
Arrive before 9:00 am to start work at 9.
Check for any requests for books from any of the staff.
Record the book and the staff member and put the book in the inter-office mail box.
Check for returned books
Record their return on the computer
Check for new books, if there are any type the condensed 'blurb' into the computer so that the staff can make an informed choice as to which books to borrow.
Check to see which books are due to be returned and send a reminder note to the staff member
General tidying of the library
answering questions regarding the library material, which included books, CDs, and DVDs.
Most of the material was business oriented but there was a small percentage that was personal or self-help. The staff appreciated all of the library material.
My day was officially over at 5:00 but if help was needed, I would stay at work