Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Found 2,215 reviews matching the search
extreme politics
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
- dirty politics
- almost no chances of advancement
- below industry wages
- few good folks that will assist you in achieving daily tasks or overcome issues
- lack of direction (pretty much every department is doing there own thing with no intention of achieving the greater good
- ego problems = extremely high
Very little regard given to staff commitment or development
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2016
CDN Tire is a franchise operation which results in frequent management/owner changes. Unfortunately it can be difficult adjusting to these changes. It appears that the trend is to hire part time students at minimum wage without benefits.
Pros
Vehicle service discounts
Cons
No salary increases. normal to go 2-3 years or longer without
A flexible, straightforward job without much room for growth.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2017
A typical day at work is short, but has a dragging feeling to it.
I learned how to multitask, memorize numbers and facts with higher accuracy and how to interact with many different colleagues and customers. I think management needs more motivation and a less adversarial approach to problem solving. There are many friendly people but too much focus on mundane tasks rather than the bigger picture. The hardest part of the job is being idle while you wait for a new task to be completed. The most enjoyable part of the job is recognition for your effort by other employees, management or customers.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Mentally exhausting.
Productive and overall great place to work
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 February 2017
Most days are spent helping customers find there desired tires, or talking with mechanics and customers alike in order to fix someones vehicle. When I am not doing this, parts are being ordered or tires are being unloaded from trucks. I have learned a variety of management and leadership skills as well as the ability to handle customer problems in an appropriate manner if they so arrive. The environment is very open and helping one, people that work here are very nice and the people that shop here usually are as well. The hardest part of the job is when you get a customer that just no matter what will not and cannot be happy with whatever it is you are trying to help them with, and they are continually rude. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am thanked for my services and they hope to see me again in the future.
Pros
Amazing staff, good customers
Cons
Hours change each week, most of the time I am closing
A good company to work for
Automotive Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK21 February 2017
I really enjoyed working for Canadian Tire. There was room for advancement and they encouraged to try challenges. I was moving to Saskatoon and wanted to go back to cooking.
Pros
Profit sharing and benefits package
Cons
Wages
Good colleagues and great workplace.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 March 2017
Had great hours to work, good colleagues to work with. Gained knowledge about the cash department working & the customer service.Great company culture and work life balance, profit sharing and employee discount.
not a great place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 February 2017
very disorganized and unhappy, large turn over rate for employees, the staff was typically fun to work with, learned a lot from fellow promotional department staff, hours were never steady or regular, hard to make plans with/for family
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
bad management
Busy and proactive environment with staff who work easily as a team
Sports department (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 February 2017
During a workday there would be many customers to help, even outside of our department. I would clean and tidy up my areas in order to maintain an acceptable work place. I learned how to deal with angry customers properly. The management was excellent and friendly towards staff and customers. The staff had no problem working together in order to help customers. The hardest part of th job was dealing with extra customers when short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a customer was helped and they are very appreciative of what you did for them.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
When short staffed it is difficult
It was good to work with my department
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
it was really good with my department. my manager is cool, my co-worker is really helpful however, there is some management that i do not like.
Pros
some of the days like holiday we have a free lunch.
Cons
poor salary. i am sorry to say.
Knew what they were doing
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2017
Great team communication and management
Work environment was planned out, everything worked nicely together which made it easier for staff to excel in their positions.
Merchandise Management systems were great, especially with the use of RF-Guns. Most companies don't "Locate" merchandise to very specific locations withing the store, Canadian Tire however, does, making helping customers and finding items very simple and fast. (Something I wish all large companies did)

I was only there for seasonal merchandising, but was impressed with how everything fit together
Pros
Work Systems were amazing
Cons
Very demanding on knowledge of all products
Canadian Tire was a great start!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 March 2017
Being a cashier at Canadian Tire was my very first job. It was a great job for a starter! Fantastic people, and very laid back. Although it wasn't a very busy job at all, it kept you on your feet for the most part. I learned a lot about customer service, and how to count a till. Handling money was a crucial part of this job as well. The management was good. The hardest part of the job was the boredom, because i like fast paced environments. On slow days we had to stand at the front of our tills and wait for someone needing help. But that was also one of the best parts of the job, mainly because I got to know my co-workers, and got along with many of them.
Pros
People
Cons
Not busy
Sales Associate-Automotive Parts (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC27 January 2017
A typical day consisted of: assisting customers via telephone/in person, stocking shelves, maintaining certain departments..etc.
I learned an abundance about automotive parts (at the time) for a girl who went in with little to no knowledge on typical components on a vehicle.
Management was around, however, never usually associated with myself or many others.
The workplace was filled with good people who were ready, and willing to work.
The hardest part of the job was the "not knowing" factor. I didn't (and still do not) know everything about anything, so there were times when I would have to improvise/figure out answers for customers. It was difficult, but taught me great skills about problem solving, and thinking on the spot, all while being efficient.
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I was in the automotive department. It brought me steps closer to where I am now, and I learned a lot.
Pros
Reliable hours
Cons
Management stayed distant, and unknown for the most part
Fairly simple job with great team members
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2017
Typical day at work is engaging with customers and offering the best customer service to my ability. I have learned how to develop better communication skills with my managers and co workers. The management team there was very welcoming and straight forward, any help or questions that I had they were always there to answer. The hardest part of the job was carrying out heavy items such as treadmills, and difficulty with getting bicycles from the bike shelf. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to fulfill the customers needs and sending them home with a smile.
Pros
The music being played in store
Cons
Heavy lifting
Great work/life balance
Finance Systems Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2016
A good place to work if you're looking for work/life balance. The culture differs between the different business units and individual departments but overall, the culture is friendly.
Not very fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON24 January 2017
Didn't like this job at all, Management is horrible, Hours were good and steady but that was about the only good thing about it.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Great place to work overall
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2017
Loved the people and work atmosphere, but salaries weren't very competitive and the internal hiring process was unfair. Good place to start out your career and gain experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Underpaid
Every Store is different...
Service Adviser/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON17 January 2017
Every store is run different as different people own them. I worked out in Bowmanville and in my opinion the Service Manager should not have been a Manager.

I liked the people I was working with, but the Manager didn't take the old computer program out of the computer and that made it very confusing when writing work orders up for service. When you made an error he made you feel like it was your fault but it was his lack of computer skills that kept two different programs running on the same computer.

The pay is good and competitive with dealerships.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Bad choice of Service Manager
exciting andchallenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  windsor ,ON13 December 2016
evry day had chance to meet new people and face to face interaction helped to builup contacts.each day was challenging in achiving the targets required by the company
Pros
good salary
Cons
no job security
Awful Company and Managers
Cashier, Part-time (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB5 March 2017
The company does not care for it employees. I worked their for one and a half years and the new management has slowly made working there awful. Certain managers are lovely as are other workers, but some made going into work dreadful. As a cashier a customer assumed I knew everything about every product. The training does not tell where any items are located in the store and the individual cashier systems made it impossible to search for an item unless a product number was given (you would have to either go to customer service a look up there or ask on a headset and hope someone would respond). Also the discount is 10% and does not increase (managers get the same discount amount) and wages increase 0.20$ every year you work there. Overall it's a good job if you want to get experience fast so finding other jobs are easier. To be honest you are better off looking elsewhere. If you do decide to work here be prepared to work every weekend.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad managers, bad training, working all the time, if you're a cashier you are treated kind of poorly by everyone else
Good environment to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON5 March 2017
great employee's and managers, however no room for salary advancement within your current position. Overall was content with the experience.