Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,757 reviews matching the search
Excellent work environment, poor management
Cashier/ Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 14, 2016
Whilst my schedule fluctuated, a typical day at work went by fairly easily as the working environment was very welcoming and social. Communicating with the customers as I rang them through quickly became second nature as it made the process less time consuming and more enjoyable. In the beginning, management was very down-to-earth and understood their employees on a personal level, but as time passed so did the pleasantries and soon the workplace became a lot less friendly and began to feel uncomfortable as some of the managers acted unprofessional. Co-workers, on the other hand, had always been very accepting and helpful to each other in the workplace and I found that to be a very big advantage as it was my first job.
Pros
Friendly environment, aid was easily accessible
Cons
Poor management, constantly fluctuating schedule
Good to gain an experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Working in Canadian Tire store 30 helps me improved my entrepreneural skills and build my confidence. As a sales associate it helps you learn how to deal with customers depending on the situation occured. In my department the Manager and Supervisor are really lenient and easy to work with. They will help you in every way they can. They will provide a one-on-one and on hand training so you can be easily familiarize with the products.
Pros
Co-workers are very warm and welcoming and reliable
Cons
Management, Job advancement/Security, Very low hours due to over employment to the extent that part timers get less than 4 hrs a week.
An experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
I learned about many different departments while at Canadian Tire; ranging from automotive to housewares. Unfortunately, during busy times, it was necessary for me to provide customer service in many different areas of the store due to a sometimes lack of staff in other sections The problem with this is, for different sections, I only knew basic information rather than specific. I was a part-time employee, but near the end of my time with Canadian Tire, I was working 40 hours a week; it was hard to manage school with so many hours. However, my coworkers in my section were very friendly, as were some of the managers, and in the end I would say that the staff made my time at Canadian Tire enjoyable.
Pros
Adjusted to my schedule (at first).
Cons
Part-time 40 hours.
Stock shelves, Liaise with/assist customers, Assist in supervisor objectives.
Floor Crew/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLAugust 3, 2016
A typical work day for myself begins by observing what duties need to be assigned to specific staff members. The highest priority duties are always completed first.
The management/supervisors are easy to get along with and are always open to any opinions I have to offer. If I believe a task may be completed in a more effective manner, I will always make suggestions by voicing my opinion.
My co-workers generally come to myself to have their daily duties assigned to them.
The hardest part of my job is getting all jobs completed to my own standards. I believe there is always room for improvement.
Pros
Flexibility when needing time off
Cons
No set schedule
Productive Workplace and Friendly Staff/Management
Cashier and stock person (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical workday I would run the till and bag items. I would also stock shelves, it all depended on what job I was assigned to that day. I learned good customer service skills and how to locate things throughout a store quickly and efficiently. The management was very easy to get along with and they worked well with the staff as a team to get the jobs done. I think the hardest part of the job was being short staffed on busy days with only very few tills at my location. The most enjoyable part of the job was how everyone seemed like one big family, when I left the job due to moving cities they gave me a card that everyone had signed.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
very few vacation hours
Responsible Work
Cash Office Manager/Balancer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
On a typical day I start off with balancing all the cashier floats from the previous day, finding out any shortages or overage and then depositing the cash and cheques in the bank. All the credit card transactions are then reviewed and balanced along with debit transactions, vouchers, coupons etc. Finally, all the figures are logged into the system. The day is the concluded with all the filing, documenting and any necessary ordering of office supplies.
I was fortunate to have a good workplace relationship with my management and co workers which not only helped me do my job better, but also made my daily work more enjoyable.There of course would be an occasional co-worker who would be rude to me which would be a little hard on me sometimes , but there is little you can do about that but forgive.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
Positive and motivating staff members, school orientated, experienced in all departments.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2016
- I am a cashier/customer service. Depending how busy it may be, I also work on stalk for all departments.
- I learned that customers always come first and help satisfy their needs.
- The management is very accommodating with my school schedule.
- My co-workers keep the workplace fun.
- The hardest part of my job is dealing with unpleasant customers.
- The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and putting a smile on their face. Also, working with my great staff team.
Pros
Get my discount for products in the store and occasionally treat staff members ex. free pizza/donuts
Cons
Not enough hours given
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Carts, pick lists, stocking of shelves, and most importantly helping with costumers is a typical day at Canadian Tire. Learning consists of advancements in technology, communication and understanding of other. Management can at times be rude, although most are understanding and sociable. Co-workers are fun and enjoyable, befriended those that would have never been known. The most difficult part is dealing with those that are very stubborn and rude, although with a calm and level headed mind it becomes simple. The most enjoyable part is getting to know costumers and befriending others.
Pros
Lots of sales
Cons
Long to face the store.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NSAugust 18, 2016
Your daily routine depends on your shift, but is very well laid out. I have learned many things regarding customer service and consumers. At present, I have learned many things regarding the hardware department, cash and look forward to learning more.

All of my co-workers are great to work with. They are pleasant and always willing to help out.

The hardest part of my job are the physical requirements. The most enjoyable parts of my job include helping people, always having the opportunity to learn more, being responsible for your own department, working with great people, always having the opportunity to move forward and being compensated for your advancements.
too much to be done for the amout of reward
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  yonge and churchJuly 12, 2016
-Ive done much more at this job than i have in this current job and it wasn't worth the treatment/pay.
-Ive learned to drive and use a forklift in a safe way.
-The management at this location didnt seem to really want to be there and seemed like there was minimal care for their jobs or others.
-The co-workers were helpful at times but could have had a better drive but that also come back on the managers.
-The hardest part of this job was using the forkclift in the winter time to take skids of salt around the store in minus 20 or 30 degree weather.
-The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting some of the truck drivers because some of them were actually interesting.
Work Hard and Enjoy it
Fill Crew/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2016
Canadian Tire stores are offering the best tools you can use for everyday life from households, sports, plumbing, cars and automative stuff and outdoor facilities that also extended to gardening.

First thing in the morning we are accepting deliveries, as a fill crew we are responsible for filling in the shelves with stocks. There were days that manpower were less, as a team we need to help one another. They are strict with the rules and implement new one to do the job efficiently. The hardest part of our work as a woman, we are carrying heavy loads of items. I am very grateful to my co-workers and managers because they are approachable, friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Working hard equals to money
Cons
off peak in the store you have less hours of work
dealing with customers everyday and filling stock at the shelves. I learned more about dealing with customers and handling situations the management a
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, ABMarch 3, 2016
dealing with customers everyday and filling stock at the shelves.
I learned more about dealing with customers and handling situations
the management are all good, organized and proffesionals
My co- workers are all nice and helpful
the hardest part of the job is when the customer have their problems regarding their home that which also them cannot explain to us thats why we cannot give exact answer and then they get mad.
The most enjoyable part is when you deal with different kind of people and learned something new everyday inside the stores with the help of co-workers and managers.
Pros
we have every other weekend off
Cons
i only have few hours
Poor management, bad pay, no advancements
Installer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 26, 2016
Worked at canadian tire for many years. They pay the bear minimum while making you pickup the pieces that management failed to collect. Had 2 shop foremen and one refused to be help to anyone and made others do his work for him all while taking in the hours. He gets paid the hourly guy gets paid. Win win right? Wrong. Not saying this is the corporations fault but its taking money from their own pocket when they're paying a person to work hourly while they also pay the technician the amount of time for the job. If you dont care about getting more than minimum wage and would like to be timed doing jobs, told how fast you have to work, be blamed for things you havent done, be critisized by a group of hypocrites, have to sign contracts to abide by their rules. Then by all means this is the job for you.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
One awful shop foreman, tyrannic coworkers, poor management
hard work little pay
Tire Tech (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 5, 2016
working in the auto shop people always want things done yesterday at half price, they try to strong arm you over the counter and yell at you in the shop, and the managers do not have your back they try to pile as many cars as they can in the auto shop without thinking about how many people they had on that day, in a hour sometimes i had 4 cars to do all with oil changes and tire rotations. setup for one car took about 10 minutes that includes finding the car pulling it in writing the work order and the work took another 10-20 if everything went smoothly, but with cars they never do, you learn to work around it and get better its a really difficult learning curve and I loved it.
Good place to work excellent cafeteria
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 30, 2015
Good place to work friendly co-workers, rotating shift, 4 days on 3 days off one week and the next week it changes. management takes good care of all employes excellent benefits
Pros
lunch, hours
Cons
nothing
Productive.
House Ware Department (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 25, 2016
Typical day at work: Assisting customer's, and co workers. Making labels. Quick Pick List. Signage. Putting away stock. Merchandising. Clean work area. Cashier. What I learned: My strengths, and weaknesses. Management: (Store Manager) is bitter, rigid, unfair, and abusive to staff. Co-workers: The best team I ever worked with. The hardest part of the job: Harassment from store manager. What I disliked: The constant monitoring of what I said, what I did, where I was, at all times from manager's. What I enjoyed: From my customer's: talk, listen, find what they needed, and getting to know them. From co-workers: Our friendships, fun, and laughter.
Pros
Complements from my supervisor's on a job well done. Spending time with co-workers during break time, and lunch.
Cons
Lack of respect, and unappreciated.
Excellent team work with great staff
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ONAugust 22, 2016
Unloaded trucks in the morning and separated the products for staging on the store floor. Quarantining seasonal products for future sales or holidays. Learned how to use a RF gun for locating/unlocating items in the warehouse and floor using a Fast Find program. Trained to operate forklift which was used to transport skids of products into trucks or to the garden centre. Prepared schedules for a team of 9 under my supervision in the warehouse. Hardest part of the job was some excessive handling of large products (gazebos, treadmills, garden sheds) that were not placed on skids during shipping.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
commuting
Productive workplace
Store clerk/merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Work with some great people
Sales Associate - Hardware (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONAugust 16, 2016
Love working with my team. Everyone is super friendly and generous with their knowledge. My immediate manager is a wonderful lady, and is always on hand to support her staff. You do find that you are called upon to take on lots of tasks outside of your actual job remit. Staffing has been a pretty big issue, and turnover is pretty high. i think this would be resolved by employing the right people for the job, and not simply piling things onto existing staff - because they all seem to leave because of workload expectations. Sadly this is a big store run with a small store mentality.
Pros
Great workmates
Cons
High expectations - not great money
decent job, terrible management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work included stocking shelves, customer service and all other basic retail service responsibilities.
Co-workers were all lazy, incompetent and weak. They all made me do half of their jobs for them and would complain to management behind my back when I would make an honest mistake. All Canadian tire stores are independently owned, so this does not speak for the whole corporation. I was supposed to be working garden centre but due to my fellow employee's incompetence I rarely got to complete my assigned tasks as I was constantly busy finishing theirs for them. Management had it in for me the moment i spoke to a girl he liked and tried terminating me every moment after that. Thus ensued the 'his word against my word' situation. I honestly felt like I was in highschool at this place. Overall not a nice place to work (Paris location)
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
A lack of maturity, and selfish co workers

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location