Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,653 reviews matching the search
Working at Canadian Tire is not an enlightening experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I always gave my best efforts to please a customer and fulfill their needs. I learned there are many different types of people, some with knowledge about what they need and how to use a product, others with very little experience needing my assistance and advise. There are too many managers and not enough sales staff. I was able to train new staff, showing them the proper means of connecting with a customer. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance between your life and the hours you work. There is no set schedule and you were never sure when your shifts were. I enjoy working with customers to make sure they have everything they need for a project and the knowledge to perform the tasks involved.
Pros
Company Profit Sharing
Cons
Long hours with irregular shifts.
Good to gain an experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Working in Canadian Tire store 30 helps me improved my entrepreneural skills and build my confidence. As a sales associate it helps you learn how to deal with customers depending on the situation occured. In my department the Manager and Supervisor are really lenient and easy to work with. They will help you in every way they can. They will provide a one-on-one and on hand training so you can be easily familiarize with the products.
Pros
Co-workers are very warm and welcoming and reliable
Cons
Management, Job advancement/Security, Very low hours due to over employment to the extent that part timers get less than 4 hrs a week.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Carts, pick lists, stocking of shelves, and most importantly helping with costumers is a typical day at Canadian Tire. Learning consists of advancements in technology, communication and understanding of other. Management can at times be rude, although most are understanding and sociable. Co-workers are fun and enjoyable, befriended those that would have never been known. The most difficult part is dealing with those that are very stubborn and rude, although with a calm and level headed mind it becomes simple. The most enjoyable part is getting to know costumers and befriending others.
Pros
Lots of sales
Cons
Long to face the store.
Productive workplace
Store clerk/merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Productive and fun work place with table tennis table
IT Project Coordinator/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Enjoyed the work and fun culture with solid regular from the various managers I worked with and an inclusive culture which makes work fun most of the times.
The most challenging part was to deal with many small projects at the same time and legacy systems being used at Canadian Tire Corp.
They have got to upgrade and move on to new systems.
Pros
Work Life Balance and located conveniently for public transport
Cons
Different projects with different technology and hard for time management with competing priorities
Not paid well, no benefits
Assist manager (Former Employee) –  MarkhamOctober 24, 2015
At least $15/hr with full benefit
No lunch breaks.
Not much groth even how much you hard work.
No benefits
Not covered by heath insurance
No training most the time
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Hours are OK, after 40hrs per week, employer not payiny time and half most the time
Friends do not let friend work in Canadian Tire
Finance field (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 21, 2015
I have worked in CTC for 8 years.

At first it was a wonderful company to work for. Senior management treated everyone with respect. Management was rewarding and encouraging. Everyone was friendly. It was like a family.

Since they changed top management, the entire company cultural changed dramatically.

They fired a lot old senior management in 2012. Since that day, office politics are major focus instead of customer/business growth.

Senior management made a lot unreasonable decisions, like moving Accounts Payable to Oakville, which caused significant delay in vendor payments, almost caused business disruption. The reason was told to us, to save rent money. Instead of saving costs, they kept renting additional spaces in Toronto.

Senior management prefer to hire young CAs from outside of the company and hardly give any advance opportunity to internal people. And they created a hierarchy culture. Senior Financial Analysts (almost all CAs) would never be friendly to "little people" unless they need something from you.

Management fired a lot employees worked for 20 or 30 years just because they did not have designation, they punish you for being loyal.

Management are biased, mean and selfish. I hardly get any appreciation and encouragement. And they try to create hierarchy/lays in a very small team.

In this company if you are not AVP's favourite, you will never get advancement, you will not get appreciated, your co-workers will undermine you.

CTC pays very low and just give you 1% raise each year if you are not buttering up your management.

The
  more... management of business is a mess.
HR policy apply to someone but not another.
A lot departments do not have a clear understanding of their responsibilities.
A lot of repeated effort for same problems, you may spend 50% of your time to fix other people errors.
Pros
Made some friends, some managers are ok
Cons
Overworked and underpaid, horrible management from top to middle level, no advancement for internal employee
Great work environment, Benefits after probation, Great team
Warehouse Labourer (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJuly 13, 2015
I've learned there is more to working in the warehouse than just dealing with unloading trucks. It takes memorizing numbers and corresponding products as well as managing time between the truck and taking calls for merchandise. The warehouse team is great. They work with you and help you along when you need it. I'd say the hardest part would be lifting objects like BBQs and exercise equipment.
Pros
Great team, caring management, benefits
Cons
extreme heavy lifting at times
every canadian tire store is a different experience
Seasonal & Garden Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, SOctober 8, 2015
I have worked at 3 Canadian tire stores and they were all different working a experience. the first 2 were great places to work. the last was a very stressful work place.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
work place moral depends on managers &owners.
Great workers with a home welcoming feel
SEASONAL DEPARTMENT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCNovember 3, 2015
Everyone you work with at the Canadian tire west shore location is very great, hard working, and friendly. No one makes you feel insecure, bad, stressed, or upset. Some managers were awesome all around while others were very unfair and disrespectful to others. The store owner of the Langford Canadian tire is no better. The owner cuts hours of those who work full time without telling them, short staffs departments that need people the most, and scorns people who make tiny mistakes. The job otherwise is a great place to work hard and make friends but at the same time its hard to be happy there. 13 people quit there in 5 months.
Pros
Great coworkers, felt like a family, friendly people, new friendships, hard workers, welcoming, accepting
Cons
poor management, Disrespect from higher ups, little hours for departments, never enough workers, communication isn't there.
Responsible Work
Cash Office Manager/Balancer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
On a typical day I start off with balancing all the cashier floats from the previous day, finding out any shortages or overage and then depositing the cash and cheques in the bank. All the credit card transactions are then reviewed and balanced along with debit transactions, vouchers, coupons etc. Finally, all the figures are logged into the system. The day is the concluded with all the filing, documenting and any necessary ordering of office supplies.
I was fortunate to have a good workplace relationship with my management and co workers which not only helped me do my job better, but also made my daily work more enjoyable.There of course would be an occasional co-worker who would be rude to me which would be a little hard on me sometimes , but there is little you can do about that but forgive.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
dealing with customers everyday and filling stock at the shelves. I learned more about dealing with customers and handling situations the management a
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, ABMarch 3, 2016
dealing with customers everyday and filling stock at the shelves.
I learned more about dealing with customers and handling situations
the management are all good, organized and proffesionals
My co- workers are all nice and helpful
the hardest part of the job is when the customer have their problems regarding their home that which also them cannot explain to us thats why we cannot give exact answer and then they get mad.
The most enjoyable part is when you deal with different kind of people and learned something new everyday inside the stores with the help of co-workers and managers.
Pros
we have every other weekend off
Cons
i only have few hours
It was a fun learning,hard working experance any
Parts Supervisor/Service Writer/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 25, 2016
My time with Canadian Tire was a good learning tool for the things that I learned as in if you use the tools that you have in order to make the customer happy will give you not only the sale but full customer service and a return customer. As management it is important to show what is required and how to make the customer happy and how to use the tools that you have in order to help make that customer a return customer. The hardest part of the job is after you have tried every thing to make the customer happy and were unable to is hard but the customer still thanks you for your time for they know that you have tried every thing. and still leave satisfied for you tried.
Pros
Working wit customers
Cons
Unable to get the customer what they need
Positive and motivating staff members, school orientated, experienced in all departments.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2016
- I am a cashier/customer service. Depending how busy it may be, I also work on stalk for all departments.
- I learned that customers always come first and help satisfy their needs.
- The management is very accommodating with my school schedule.
- My co-workers keep the workplace fun.
- The hardest part of my job is dealing with unpleasant customers.
- The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and putting a smile on their face. Also, working with my great staff team.
Pros
Get my discount for products in the store and occasionally treat staff members ex. free pizza/donuts
Cons
Not enough hours given
understaff
Manager (Former Employee) –  torontoSeptember 16, 2015
No personal growth, politics are dancing, favoritism place a big role in the company
salary is low and long hours
stocking all day and customers are pleasant
Pros
not applicable
Low Pay, Long Hours, Angry Customers, Little Training
Automotive Tower Operator (Former Employee) –  Willowdale, ONJune 3, 2015
I'm writing this review to hopefully save someone's time and effort.

This is a place for teenagers to get part time hours, no more, no less.
Don't expect a career out of this, at best you're gaining experience if you have little or no previous job experience.

Employees come and go on a weekly basis. When they're busy, they hire a bunch of people, then get rid of them.

Compensation is inadequate. Automotive customers are usually angry and upset. Little actual training provided, just your usual pointless online training process.

No benefits even for Full Time Employees. At store 192, they offer a job then get you to sign up with a job recruiter agency and sign papers saying this agency found you the job. Now the government of Ontario is paying half of your salary for Canadian Tire.

Majority of the time your uniform is not even provided, it comes out of your pay.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Angry Customers, Low Compensation, Little Training, No advancement, No Benefits, Paid Uniform
Busy and exciting workplace with lots of great people.
Cashier and Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Brooks, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Out of the few jobs I've had working for Canadian Tire was my favorite. All the staff and customers were extremely friendly and it made the day go by much faster. Management was extremely helpful and if you cooperate with them you'll be treated perfectly, by that I mean do your work and all is good. I had a few bad co-workers that didn't last very long but other then that they were fantastic. The hardest part of the job had to do with returns because when we couldn't do anything they were not very happy and often that turned into one of the customer care employee's yelled at. The most enjoyable part would have to be the people. Employees, management, customers; they all just made it so much easier to enjoy my job and do it well.
Excellent Place to work, among top 100 Canadian employers. However, progression opportunities are low.
Consultant, Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Great culture, competitive remuneration packages, growing organization, great leadership. Work life balance can be challenging, growth prospects are very slow.
Exciting new environment with lots of helpful staff.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ONMarch 14, 2016
Typically I would come home from school and go straight to work for a 4-6 hour shift. I learned cash skills and a lot of customer service skills, for example how to react with displeased customers. My management was extremely helpful while they were present and my co-workers were very patient with teaching me. My hardest experience was learning how to work the cash register. I had zero cash experience before, but I strive in math so that made things a lot easier. The most enjoyable part of my job was during the busy hours when I got to meet lots of new people and keep myself busy.
Management and Managers
Department Supervisor - Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 26, 2016
Canadian Tire # 223
1711 Kenastan Blvd location.

Very good opportunity to grow within the store due to very few full time staff and very poor Management.
But, again, if you want to work, you should not be applying or accepting any management position.
The moment you are part of Management, you are expected to say YES to everything, no questions asked.
Accept fault for everything, even though mostly you are not even responsible / accountable for.
Very poorly managed, worst senior manager ever I had worked with, few of them have no idea what management actually means or what job responsibility / accountability means.
Pros
Customer Demographics / Location
Cons
Very poor Management / Worst Managers ever seen