Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,998 reviews matching the search
Fullfilling job, enjoyed being of service to customers
Sales Associate$ (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 January 2017
The job included, not only serving customers, but also maintaining stock levels on the sales floor, general cleaning duties. I also enjoyed very much working closely with mechanics.
I did learn an awful lot about car parts and what different accessories were for.
Management was alright for the most part. Dealers were a little different. Once I reached a managers position I worked very hard, once I was told what my salary would be, it was a terrible disappointment.
For most part my co-workers were awesome, helpful when I did not know anything about cars, and great when I was more seasoned.
The hardest part of the work was lifting batteries from the shelves, it is difficult whet you have to reach higher for a heavy item.
The best part of the job was enjoying to see a satisfied customer and the interactions with most of the staff.
Pros
Good customer relations
Cons
Pay not not quite relative to job responsibilities
A family-like atmosphere for the most part
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - count till to ensure correct, sign in, deal with customers with sales and returns, sell hunting/fishing licenses, as well as schedule breaks for all staff. During slow times I was being trained to merchandise and stock shelves, do price changes, count outages, etc

Management - General Manager was awesome, couldn't ask for a better manager. Owner was "too present" at times and wasn't always friendly to customers or staff.

Co-workers - for the most part they were really friendly and helpful when teaching new concepts.

Hardest part of the job - not getting paid for the full time I was working and having to wait for a full year for benefits that weren't that great.

Most enjoyable part of the job - customers, learning new skills, doing a job well
Pros
Received hours as promised, friendly staff, decent wage, willing to train you in different areas
Cons
Takes a year before you receive benefits, not being paid for time spent counting your till before and after shift
Past Employee
Office Accounting (Former Employee) –  Canadian Tire Store 299 Calgary, AB5 October 2016
The office position was great for 3 years with team spirit and management being supportive and envolved. The last year that I was employed there was very different, but this is probably because of management change as well as policy and procedure changes. I learned a lot during my time there mostly from the career employees who cared about the store and were very involved with assisting new employees. Good Luck to all envolved in the new administration and hopefully all goes well for both employees and management.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
The managements pressure to accomplish tasks within an unrealistic time period.
Fun place to work, great team of people, productive and educational
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 September 2016
A busy day at work was always guaranteed, I learned to deal with customers well and give people an easier shopping experience. The management was excellent and my co-workers were helpful, friendly and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was when the store was packed full of customers so it would be difficult to tend to every single person who needed help. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of being able to help a customer and seeing them walk away happy with the intended product and possibly more.
Pros
Flexible break times, free staff lunch or breakfast roughly once a month
Good Temporary Job
Pro-Active Team (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2016
The job is rather straight forward, although I find some management and staff have low demeanor which sucks to be around. Start at minimum with opportunities to advance, including profit sharing. But have to hang around for too long to make any real money. The job security is definitely there, that goes without saying if you are a good employee they will keep you around, Would recommend for high school or college students as a part time job, unless you really enjoy retail.
Pros
Advancement/benefit opportunities
Cons
Low Staff Demeanor
Amazing Company
Asset Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON7 January 2017
School of teaching and training
Room for advancement
Diversified workforce and leadership
Great employee benefits program
Strong service and support
Pros
Strong Corporate Culture
Cons
Salary could be more competitive
Very little regard given to staff commitment or development
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2016
CDN Tire is a franchise operation which results in frequent management/owner changes. Unfortunately it can be difficult adjusting to these changes. It appears that the trend is to hire part time students at minimum wage without benefits.
Pros
Vehicle service discounts
Cons
No salary increases. normal to go 2-3 years or longer without
Great Canadian Company
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 January 2017
I worked at Canadian Tire Warehouse for about 41/2 yrs as a temp and under limited time contract. Most jobs fairly easy to learn. If you can read a label and move boxes you can do it. I often exceeded the required work quota, sometimes by 100%. I did get more 'preferred jobs' for working hard. Thought I was deserving of a full-time job, but I didn't get one. The social/cultural factor that was important to them, I don't have. I work hard, I'm polite and professional, but I'm not real chatty.

Managers are well trained and professional, but there is a definite pecking order in the hierarchy. Overall I think it was a mutually beneficial experience. I learned a lot, and worked a lot. I'm very happy to have helped out at a great Canadian Company.
Always a learning experience
Cashier,sales.merchandising (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 July 2016
I dealt with all types of people everyday and learned to adapt to each individual.Everyday was a new adventure.A fast paced environment.The people i worked with were polite,hardworking and always helpful.Management tried to be as helpful and polite as they could be.Tho stressful at times i learned to take a deep breath and relax.The hardest part was dealing with those who refuse to believe anything u say tho that is what u were taught to say and do.Everyday was a challenge and i am proud to say i met those challenges with pride and a job well done.
Pros
Payed breaks
lots of daily tasks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2016
bad management
rude employees
new and returning customers
no benefits
high staff turnover
low compensation
too much work drama
no advancement
Pros
Usually busy
Cons
bad management, too much drama
Good luck with the C-wood Store, management is Dishonest and loves to play the Run-A-Round Game!!!!
auto Parts (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON2 August 2016
Only favourites get advancements, management will tell you there are no opening in other areas in store but will put job posting on Job websites. Then threaten you with loss of hours. Oh and don't call in sick or management will give you the run around when you bring in your $20 Doc Note telling you to get another note with more infomation of ailment .
Pros
Fellow employees are great!!!
Cons
Management, Management, management oh and needs a new owner and an overhaul of managers.
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB25 May 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day
Good Environment to have a first job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON13 April 2016
CT is a great place to have a first job, I work in a fast pace area that requires multi-tasking. I do returns, cash purchases,stock shelves, and simple household cleaning. I also train all the new cashiers hired at the store. I have learned lots in regards to working with people, I learned how to become very well at multi-tasking, and I learned to work well in a team environment. Management is good, they are very easy to work with and are considerate when needing help with time off, assisting with bad situations with customers etc. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance everything at once. You have returns, regular cash, the phones ringing as well as the cashiers asking you questions which makes it difficult because there is so much going on at one time.
Pros
Meeting lots of new people, creating great friendships.
Cons
Not enough hours. I feel I should be paid a little more for the load of work I do, You get a 10 cent raise if you work over 1200 hours a year, which is not often.
Great work/life balance
Finance Systems Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2016
A good place to work if you're looking for work/life balance. The culture differs between the different business units and individual departments but overall, the culture is friendly.
exciting andchallenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  windsor ,ON13 December 2016
evry day had chance to meet new people and face to face interaction helped to builup contacts.each day was challenging in achiving the targets required by the company
Pros
good salary
Cons
no job security
Friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 October 2016
I learned that being friendly and open can impact the people around you a lot compared to never really smiling. Not smiling makes you seem unapproachable, which you tend to not want at a workplace dealing with customers. I find it is very important to get along with coworkers not only because you work together for however long but also because you may end up needing to ask each other for help so it's nice to have someone approachable when needing help. The hardest part of the job for me would usually be standing in one spot for long periods of time without walking around. The most enjoyable part of the job tends to be interacting with customers and being able to help them with their needs.
Pros
socializing with people around you
Depends on the Dealer/Owner
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB15 November 2016
Can be a great place to work but depends strongly on the Owner and management. This varies as all stores are independently owned and operated. I have mixed reviews but overall really liked working there
Pros
team enviroment
A Good Job For Students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 September 2016
Canadian Tire provides students with the opportunity to learn within a fast paced environment providing both flexible hours and a friendly work environment. The teamwork emphasized within canadian tire helps the workplace be productive and helps the workplace stay friendly. Although the workplace is friendly the organization is lacking. Many times management fails to properly organize tasks and often times this causes much confusion on the floor. Product is often lost and employees are often left with nothing to do while others are given too many tasks. As long as you remain a hard worker within this environment and you remain cooperative, it is an excellent and flexible job for anyone looking for a job during school or to fill in time between another job.
Pros
Flexibliity
Cons
Poor Managment
Not a fun place to work
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
Management isn't the best, hours are bad, advancement is non-existent. in store discount is only 10% which is pretty much a slap in the face
Pros
it was a job
Cons
everything else

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location