Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,830 reviews matching the search
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day
Great work place, terrible owner.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
The job itself was great. My direct manager was very good at running the shop, and working around the staffs busy lives. Everyone got the hours they needed. He was always held back from offering what he wanted to for his staff because of the owner. The owner only cared for his bottom line and not anyone who worked for him or his customers. We raised customer retention while I was there. We also ran a more honest shop, not pushing services our customers didn't always need, which kept them happier and returning and more trusting of our operation.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Terrible Owner.
A big box company that doesn't care for its employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
I worked as a cashier for the company for 2 years and never received anything from them. Not a promotion or recognition for my hard work. The hours were awful and management was not considerate of personal life and time needed outside of work. Working part-time when I was hired they would give me full-time hours during the busy times of the year and no hours in the slow times. I finished school and they wouldn't let me work full-time or apply for benefits, I didn't even have access to my pay stubs. The store was over run with immature 16 year old high school students and no one was sufficiently trained leading to a high turn over rate. It was difficult working in this environment with very poor communication between co-workers and a disorganized work place.
co workers are great, management and store owner ruin the job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 1, 2016
store owner was miserable and had no problem with making everyone in the store miserable as well. management was often not on the same page. Reviews were often skipped and pay was rarely raised...unless you mentioned it over and over and over. Favoritism was also not uncommon in this store. My co workers were great though and made it bearable. I am sure there are great Canadian tire stores all over the place, however the store owner in Nanaimo ruins the job.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
store owner, management often gave conflicting instructions.
Fast-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 12, 2016
Work itself was satisfying, great customers, your hours were cut in the winter months, unprofessional management, and scheduling was always a problem, only had one company raise.
Pros
great co-workers, friendly customers
Cons
poor management, bad scheduling, cut hours, no salary increase
Not a good welcoming work environment to be apart of
Senior Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The management is lacking severely. They do not help their student employees balance their schedules around school and they have no benefits that recognize their good employees. Always a fight about getting a day off for appointments ect..

They take 2$ off of every pay and you rarely see any benefit from the staff fund.

Not a very happy, welcoming environment to be apart of..
Cons
Poor management.
Horrible management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Malton, ONFebruary 5, 2016
The company makes sure there will never be a union. 10 hour shifts and you still don't bring home $400 a week. The supervisors make $37.00 an hour to sit at a desk and do nothing.
Pros
Good Cafeteria, built in Tim Hortons
Cons
No benefits, Low pay, lazy supervisors, season shift cuts, no chance of direct hire, long hours, redundant rules, confounding processes
Fun place to work
Floor Associate - Sports (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONMarch 22, 2016
A typical day included helping customers, stocking shelves, and filling orders. I had a good experience with all the managers, they were always very friendly and helpful. I don't have any complaints about my co-workers, I made a lot of new friends.
Pros
The people
Cons
Compensation
Great experience with little to no advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  1100 Kerr St, Oakville, ONNovember 23, 2015
Working at Canadian Tire has taught me different skills such as paint mixing, key cutting, hardware and auto knowledge as well as customer experience and inventory experience. My co-workers were great and the management was friendly and flexible with my schedule. At times the job could become stressful because of the heavy traffic of customers and the need to do a few things at once.
Pros
Great work environment, good managers and an enjoyable place to learn customer service.
Cons
Could be stressful at times, low wage, few benefits and a large turnover rate.
Great place to be at to follow
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Everyone is friendly with the exception of politics where teams do not get along with one another, limits what and when something can be achieved.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
politics, management, cross teams do not get along
Always new challenges with co-operative and engaging personnel.
Controller Fuelco/Mgr Corp Acct & Systems (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- typical day was always being able to ask yourself, " how can I make this process/work flow better".
- learned how to holistically look at starting a finance department for a company and integrate it's operations into the larger parent company.
- management was willing to give the freedom needed to risk and fail while providing guidance when needed.
- the people were devoted, caring and yet demanding... a perfect learning environment. Long term employees abound in this company because of its culture.
- keeping up with the lightening fast changes can sometimes be a challenge.
- the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that there were no silos and that it was truly a team environment.
Pros
Involving employees with the many sponsorships and charities it supported
Cons
Managers and AVPs are long term leaving little chance of advancement.
laid back but long hours
Floater (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
easy going management that is to get along with, however 10 hour days get tiresome and some people get irritating to work with as with any workplace.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
many cancelled shifts
very nice to work for
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Stephen, NBFebruary 12, 2016
liked working there very fast pace environment loved working with customers and trouble shooting problems.learned alot about dealing with public and fueling there needs.
benefits
Lovely Workplace, seeing new people
Financial Advisor JWR (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 27, 2015
Its about Customer Services. How we greet customers, help them to get what they want, approach potential clients, explain the benefits of the membership cards, explain the promotions in the store.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Hard Targets, Long hours standing
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
it was a good experience they gave lots of good benefits. they helped a lot with working with my schedule. they are very good at training as well.
A Good Job For Students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 27, 2016
Canadian Tire provides students with the opportunity to learn within a fast paced environment providing both flexible hours and a friendly work environment. The teamwork emphasized within canadian tire helps the workplace be productive and helps the workplace stay friendly. Although the workplace is friendly the organization is lacking. Many times management fails to properly organize tasks and often times this causes much confusion on the floor. Product is often lost and employees are often left with nothing to do while others are given too many tasks. As long as you remain a hard worker within this environment and you remain cooperative, it is an excellent and flexible job for anyone looking for a job during school or to fill in time between another job.
Pros
Flexibliity
Cons
Poor Managment
Excellent work environment, poor management
Cashier/ Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 14, 2016
Whilst my schedule fluctuated, a typical day at work went by fairly easily as the working environment was very welcoming and social. Communicating with the customers as I rang them through quickly became second nature as it made the process less time consuming and more enjoyable. In the beginning, management was very down-to-earth and understood their employees on a personal level, but as time passed so did the pleasantries and soon the workplace became a lot less friendly and began to feel uncomfortable as some of the managers acted unprofessional. Co-workers, on the other hand, had always been very accepting and helpful to each other in the workplace and I found that to be a very big advantage as it was my first job.
Pros
Friendly environment, aid was easily accessible
Cons
Poor management, constantly fluctuating schedule
Fast Paced Environment Fun Work Place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 18, 2016
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy considering that it is a big company and a lot of people shop there. So that means that it is hard to please every single customer that walks through the door. With that being said everyone stays professional and tries our best to please them as much as we can. The managers are all pretty easy to get along with as long as your not fooling around on the job. My co-workers and I got very close, sort of like a family, so they make the job better even on the worst days. The hardest part of the job is when you're having a bad day and you get a customer who is very angry with you about something you have no control over, but that is going to happen anywhere. I enjoy going to work most days because I like my job.
An experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2016
I learned about many different departments while at Canadian Tire; ranging from automotive to housewares. Unfortunately, during busy times, it was necessary for me to provide customer service in many different areas of the store due to a sometimes lack of staff in other sections The problem with this is, for different sections, I only knew basic information rather than specific. I was a part-time employee, but near the end of my time with Canadian Tire, I was working 40 hours a week; it was hard to manage school with so many hours. However, my coworkers in my section were very friendly, as were some of the managers, and in the end I would say that the staff made my time at Canadian Tire enjoyable.
Pros
Adjusted to my schedule (at first).
Cons
Part-time 40 hours.
Stock shelves, Liaise with/assist customers, Assist in supervisor objectives.
Floor Crew/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NLAugust 3, 2016
A typical work day for myself begins by observing what duties need to be assigned to specific staff members. The highest priority duties are always completed first.
The management/supervisors are easy to get along with and are always open to any opinions I have to offer. If I believe a task may be completed in a more effective manner, I will always make suggestions by voicing my opinion.
My co-workers generally come to myself to have their daily duties assigned to them.
The hardest part of my job is getting all jobs completed to my own standards. I believe there is always room for improvement.
Pros
Flexibility when needing time off
Cons
No set schedule

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location