Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,721 reviews matching the search
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day
Always new challenges with co-operative and engaging personnel.
Controller Fuelco/Mgr Corp Acct & Systems (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- typical day was always being able to ask yourself, " how can I make this process/work flow better".
- learned how to holistically look at starting a finance department for a company and integrate it's operations into the larger parent company.
- management was willing to give the freedom needed to risk and fail while providing guidance when needed.
- the people were devoted, caring and yet demanding... a perfect learning environment. Long term employees abound in this company because of its culture.
- keeping up with the lightening fast changes can sometimes be a challenge.
- the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that there were no silos and that it was truly a team environment.
Pros
Involving employees with the many sponsorships and charities it supported
Cons
Managers and AVPs are long term leaving little chance of advancement.
A big box company that doesn't care for its employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
I worked as a cashier for the company for 2 years and never received anything from them. Not a promotion or recognition for my hard work. The hours were awful and management was not considerate of personal life and time needed outside of work. Working part-time when I was hired they would give me full-time hours during the busy times of the year and no hours in the slow times. I finished school and they wouldn't let me work full-time or apply for benefits, I didn't even have access to my pay stubs. The store was over run with immature 16 year old high school students and no one was sufficiently trained leading to a high turn over rate. It was difficult working in this environment with very poor communication between co-workers and a disorganized work place.
co workers are great, management and store owner ruin the job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 1, 2016
store owner was miserable and had no problem with making everyone in the store miserable as well. management was often not on the same page. Reviews were often skipped and pay was rarely raised...unless you mentioned it over and over and over. Favoritism was also not uncommon in this store. My co workers were great though and made it bearable. I am sure there are great Canadian tire stores all over the place, however the store owner in Nanaimo ruins the job.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
store owner, management often gave conflicting instructions.
Great work place, terrible owner.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
The job itself was great. My direct manager was very good at running the shop, and working around the staffs busy lives. Everyone got the hours they needed. He was always held back from offering what he wanted to for his staff because of the owner. The owner only cared for his bottom line and not anyone who worked for him or his customers. We raised customer retention while I was there. We also ran a more honest shop, not pushing services our customers didn't always need, which kept them happier and returning and more trusting of our operation.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Terrible Owner.
Productive with a good workplace atmosphere and management - employee / employee - employee relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Typical Day:
- Conferencing with team
- Conferencing with management
- Establishing a daily routine / plan
Work Details:
Inventory, customer interaction, database inquiries, warehouse management, heavy lifting

What I Learned:
How to interact with diverse and occasionally irate people, how to lead and contribute to a team, workplace interactions and safety.

Coworkers and Management:
Effectively organized and ran, workplace environment cleanly and friendly

Hardest Part of Job:
Repetition

Most Enjoyable Aspect:
Getting paid to help people day to day.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding management, welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Minimal opportunity for advancement, low wage, repetative
Fast-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 12, 2016
Work itself was satisfying, great customers, your hours were cut in the winter months, unprofessional management, and scheduling was always a problem, only had one company raise.
Pros
great co-workers, friendly customers
Cons
poor management, bad scheduling, cut hours, no salary increase
I loved it!
Management Team ~ Hardware Housewares Mgr (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Canadian Tire for me was something that shaped who I am and what I do. I was given the training and encouragement to progress from Sales Clerk to Supervisor to Manager. Along the way I met great people, learned how to fix just about anything, and was never bored. And I got all the best deals on tools and car parts!

I will say though, it really depends on the individual store's dealer (owner) and management team. I was lucky enough to work with very intelligent, motivated and fair people. I owe a debt of gratitude to the dealer of our Victoria store, who not only helped me succeed, but who also continued his support while I moved overseas.

I will definitely be looking for more opportunities at Canadian Tire in the near future.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Training, Advancement
Cons
Good to gain an experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Working in Canadian Tire store 30 helps me improved my entrepreneural skills and build my confidence. As a sales associate it helps you learn how to deal with customers depending on the situation occured. In my department the Manager and Supervisor are really lenient and easy to work with. They will help you in every way they can. They will provide a one-on-one and on hand training so you can be easily familiarize with the products.
Pros
Co-workers are very warm and welcoming and reliable
Cons
Management, Job advancement/Security, Very low hours due to over employment to the extent that part timers get less than 4 hrs a week.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Carts, pick lists, stocking of shelves, and most importantly helping with costumers is a typical day at Canadian Tire. Learning consists of advancements in technology, communication and understanding of other. Management can at times be rude, although most are understanding and sociable. Co-workers are fun and enjoyable, befriended those that would have never been known. The most difficult part is dealing with those that are very stubborn and rude, although with a calm and level headed mind it becomes simple. The most enjoyable part is getting to know costumers and befriending others.
Pros
Lots of sales
Cons
Long to face the store.
Productive workplace
Store clerk/merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Productive and fun work place with table tennis table
IT Project Coordinator/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Enjoyed the work and fun culture with solid regular from the various managers I worked with and an inclusive culture which makes work fun most of the times.
The most challenging part was to deal with many small projects at the same time and legacy systems being used at Canadian Tire Corp.
They have got to upgrade and move on to new systems.
Pros
Work Life Balance and located conveniently for public transport
Cons
Different projects with different technology and hard for time management with competing priorities
Excellent Place to work, among top 100 Canadian employers. However, progression opportunities are low.
Consultant, Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Great culture, competitive remuneration packages, growing organization, great leadership. Work life balance can be challenging, growth prospects are very slow.
Great place to be at to follow
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Everyone is friendly with the exception of politics where teams do not get along with one another, limits what and when something can be achieved.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
politics, management, cross teams do not get along
Not a good welcoming work environment to be apart of
Senior Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The management is lacking severely. They do not help their student employees balance their schedules around school and they have no benefits that recognize their good employees. Always a fight about getting a day off for appointments ect..

They take 2$ off of every pay and you rarely see any benefit from the staff fund.

Not a very happy, welcoming environment to be apart of..
Cons
Poor management.
A great place to work
Fill Crew (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTFebruary 17, 2016
Working in Canadian Tire is a great experience for me, I have learned a lot working at Canadian tire I have able to develop my ability to communicate with different kinds of people and culture and to develop my customer service skills and many more. the management was great everyone on the store crew was really great to work with,
Positive and motivating staff members, school orientated, experienced in all departments.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 20, 2016
- I am a cashier/customer service. Depending how busy it may be, I also work on stalk for all departments.
- I learned that customers always come first and help satisfy their needs.
- The management is very accommodating with my school schedule.
- My co-workers keep the workplace fun.
- The hardest part of my job is dealing with unpleasant customers.
- The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and putting a smile on their face. Also, working with my great staff team.
Pros
Get my discount for products in the store and occasionally treat staff members ex. free pizza/donuts
Cons
Not enough hours given
Responsible Work
Cash Office Manager/Balancer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2016
On a typical day I start off with balancing all the cashier floats from the previous day, finding out any shortages or overage and then depositing the cash and cheques in the bank. All the credit card transactions are then reviewed and balanced along with debit transactions, vouchers, coupons etc. Finally, all the figures are logged into the system. The day is the concluded with all the filing, documenting and any necessary ordering of office supplies.
I was fortunate to have a good workplace relationship with my management and co workers which not only helped me do my job better, but also made my daily work more enjoyable.There of course would be an occasional co-worker who would be rude to me which would be a little hard on me sometimes , but there is little you can do about that but forgive.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
Working at Canadian Tire is not an enlightening experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I always gave my best efforts to please a customer and fulfill their needs. I learned there are many different types of people, some with knowledge about what they need and how to use a product, others with very little experience needing my assistance and advise. There are too many managers and not enough sales staff. I was able to train new staff, showing them the proper means of connecting with a customer. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance between your life and the hours you work. There is no set schedule and you were never sure when your shifts were. I enjoy working with customers to make sure they have everything they need for a project and the knowledge to perform the tasks involved.
Pros
Company Profit Sharing
Cons
Long hours with irregular shifts.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
It is a pleasant place to work and there is job security.
The management are well trained and polite to there subject.
good salaries and well behaved people.
They reduce your hours specially if u are black.
They prefers Philipino's to get more hrs.
Pros
non-toxic place to work
Cons
reduce hours some times.

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Reviews by Location