Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 2,200 reviews matching the search
Productive and Positive Environment
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 March 2017
• Oversee and execute the complete order handling process for adequate customer satisfaction.
• Prepare cross border paperwork ACE/ACI/PARS/PAPS
• Track, measure and report regularly the status of customer orders.
• Dispatch, verify and complete shipments by obtaining proof of deliveries.
• Run inbound and outbound reports, analyze the data for accuracy and planning purposes.
• Schedule and coordinate shipments with suppliers.
• Communicate with custom brokers for PAPS/PARS clearances
Great employees, poor management and poor culture
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON22 March 2017
The people that worked their seemed great to work with, we tried to have fun at work while being as effective as possible. Where this changes is the workplace culture which was very negative. A lot of people talking behind others back, managment speaking poorly about employees to other employees. Very much an us verses them mentality against the service department made the politicking very hard to handle.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long hours, no recognition for hard work, poor management
Knew what they were doing
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2017
Great team communication and management
Work environment was planned out, everything worked nicely together which made it easier for staff to excel in their positions.
Merchandise Management systems were great, especially with the use of RF-Guns. Most companies don't "Locate" merchandise to very specific locations withing the store, Canadian Tire however, does, making helping customers and finding items very simple and fast. (Something I wish all large companies did)

I was only there for seasonal merchandising, but was impressed with how everything fit together
Pros
Work Systems were amazing
Cons
Very demanding on knowledge of all products
Great working environment.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON6 March 2017
For the past two years, I've worked in Canadian Tire's Sports and Outdoor Recreation section. Those two years have been extremely rewarding to me, as they have taught me numerous customer service transferable skills. My typical day includes helping customers with purchases, locating and restocking product, and assisting other departments. The culture is very relaxed, until it comes down to the holiday season - then you're expected to work hard and fast. Aside from that, it's a very easy and fun job.
Pros
Great hours, fun staff.
Cons
Repetitive.
Unsupportive and unprofessional workplace
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2017
I worked there for 3 years and learned that this company does not care for their employees nor do they hire intelligible management. One of the biggest problems is that these stores are independently owned and the corporation does little to check if owners are enforcing the franchise's standards. The biggest issue is the poor leadership. If the managers that this company hires are representative of the population of people qualified to work in management, then literally anyone with no skill or professional etiquette can be a manager.
Cons
Poor management, few opportunities for promotion or pay raises
Not always friendly co workers
Cashier/Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 March 2017
Not that great when it comes to friendly co workers. Always drama, jealousies and gossip above and beyond normal behavior. Unfair treatment, no recognition and very impatient with new employees. However there are some that were kind and helpful and also helpful with customers, when not having a bad attitude in general. I wish it had been different as there were some staff members that were awesome! I'm sure not all locations and team members are the same and I make no claims that ALL locations are this way.
Pros
Cons
Struggle for hours and no sense of security.
Can 100% say that this is the best job ive had.
Fill Crew (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 February 2017
Each day I find that I learn something new and that can help another customer or give assistance with a certain situation! ive found I gain lots of knowledge on many items or even brand names or companys which farther down the road help me find a solution for customers questions! making sure that every customer walks away with a smile on there facing saying "that chris guy really gave us a good idea" or even make them laugh!
Pros
early mornings and good pay!
co-workers and management were good but didn't like the job
Hardware fill crew (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE1 March 2017
I worked in the hardware department. When people wanted to know about light bulbs I was the one to ask. I learned some things about tools I didn't know. My manager was nice to me, the higher-ups didn't give me a hard time. Pay wasn't great, as low as they were allowed to pay. The hardest part about the job was finding things in the back. It was not as organised as it should have been. I worked with some nice folks there. I didn't really like the job all that much but I got pretty good hours and it was better than being unemployed.
Pros
I got paid
Cons
I got pain minimum wage
Ok job but not great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON2 March 2017
The job is ok. Hours aren't the best and are constantly fluctuating and depending on the manager you get you could have trouble. My current manager is very nice however she changes the schedule a lot with little or no notice. Several times I've gotten a call and been told the schedule has been changed and I'm supposed to be in in a hour because she changed the schedule on my days off. Or gotten into work and been told I'm there for a couple extra hours that day because she changed the schedule so instead of say 8-1 I'm now on 8-3.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
A flexible, straightforward job without much room for growth.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2017
A typical day at work is short, but has a dragging feeling to it.
I learned how to multitask, memorize numbers and facts with higher accuracy and how to interact with many different colleagues and customers. I think management needs more motivation and a less adversarial approach to problem solving. There are many friendly people but too much focus on mundane tasks rather than the bigger picture. The hardest part of the job is being idle while you wait for a new task to be completed. The most enjoyable part of the job is recognition for your effort by other employees, management or customers.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Mentally exhausting.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 March 2017
As a customer service representative as well as a cashier I served customers and delivered any complaints, suggestions or criticisms to a supervisor or manager. I further answered customers questions, phone calls, completed returns and exchanges as well as recorded money count of 5 registers after my shift was complete. It was a positive working environment and allowed me to build both my professional and personal skills.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
Fun environment but low pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2017
Learned a lot about customer service and retail operations. The people you work with are really nice and many of us feel like we are a little family. Yet, some managers don't care about their employees. Low hours, they hire someone new instead of boosting people to full time. Low pay, 4 years, no complaints, many awards and one of the most knowledgeable employees in the store, and I only get 10 cents hourly raise a year. The work is repetitive, just filling shelves all day.
Pros
Co-workers like a family, everyone gets along
Cons
low pay, boring work
Canadian Tire was a great start!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 March 2017
Being a cashier at Canadian Tire was my very first job. It was a great job for a starter! Fantastic people, and very laid back. Although it wasn't a very busy job at all, it kept you on your feet for the most part. I learned a lot about customer service, and how to count a till. Handling money was a crucial part of this job as well. The management was good. The hardest part of the job was the boredom, because i like fast paced environments. On slow days we had to stand at the front of our tills and wait for someone needing help. But that was also one of the best parts of the job, mainly because I got to know my co-workers, and got along with many of them.
Pros
People
Cons
Not busy
a hockey night
Banquet/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 February 2017
this is probably one of the best jobs I have ever had. Everyone there is so kind and helpful, we all get along fairly well for the most part. I work down in banquet so its extremely different than being upstairs in concessions. I normally just serve desserts to guests and help hostess. The managers there are great, and always around and willing to answer any question you have. The hardest part is cleaning up after because we are all so tired and want to go home. The most enjoyable part of this job is connecting with people and interacting.
Pros
free dinner after, short hours
Cons
not enough staff to clean fast enough
Busy and proactive environment with staff who work easily as a team
Sports department (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 February 2017
During a workday there would be many customers to help, even outside of our department. I would clean and tidy up my areas in order to maintain an acceptable work place. I learned how to deal with angry customers properly. The management was excellent and friendly towards staff and customers. The staff had no problem working together in order to help customers. The hardest part of th job was dealing with extra customers when short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a customer was helped and they are very appreciative of what you did for them.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
When short staffed it is difficult
Good first job. Lots of experience. Showed me I want more from a job though
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS8 February 2017
A typical day at work is standing behind a counter for 8 hours. You get a few regular customers each day which is nice. I learned that you can't let certain customers get to you. They will get mad at you, most of the time, because they are having a bad day. The department managers are amazing. They are very helpful but the general manager and owners are the complete opposite. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing the familiar faces and the other co-workers.
Pros
Breaks and lunches every two hours
Cons
Long days
well paced. work from home
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
The job included, not only serving customers, but also maintaining stock levels on the sales floor, general cleaning duties. I also enjoyed very much working closely with mechanics.
I did learn an awful lot about car parts and what different accessories were for.
Management was alright for the most part. Dealers were a little different. Once I reached a managers position I worked very hard, once I was told what my salary would be, it was a terrible disappointment.
Productive place and such a great staff to work with
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  McCowan and Shepard5 February 2017
I always tell my stories about this job to my friends and family. I have learned so much from this job like how to really handle customers politely and efficiently. The customer services at the Canadian tire is always very busy but we all girls were enjoying our work by assisting all kinds of customers.
Pros
Christmas dinners and other occasional lunch invites
Cons
Fixed hours i had and i had so much fun.

Comment – February 6, 2017

Awesome! 5 stars rating that is wonderful and the review is helpful...

Great people to work with
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC22 March 2017
Great people to work with. When your a Cashier you are also a Customer Service representative as you guide your Customers to the products they need and want. Sometimes a Customer will come up to the till with a product I have used and so I can recommend the product they have chosen as the best one for their current needs. I love conversing with new customers and with repeat customers.
Pros
close to my residence
Cons
not enough work hours given
My Life at Fort Frances Canadian Tire
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON28 February 2017
I loved my job there! I have a busy schedule and found that my supervisor was able to really cater to all our needs when it came to the work schedule! Loved all my co workers, and the environment was overall just a very positive space to work it! I'm so glad I had to opportunity to be a part of the CT family in Fort Frances!
Pros
Consistent breaks
Cons
older cash tills would sometimes shut down of course only when it was very busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

77%