Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,653 reviews matching the search
It was not great, but also not the worst
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMay 27, 2016
Days were very routine and I didn't learn to much from my job. But the people I worked with were good people. I would have to say the best part of it was my co workers in the company.
Productive and fun worlplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 27, 2016
Stock shelves, face shelves, sweep and help customers. Bring products to cars, and out from the warehouse. Great co-workers, and a lot of fun.
Pros
Sports Department
Cons
Hot inside wearing pants.
Poor management, bad pay, no advancements
Installer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 26, 2016
Worked at canadian tire for many years. They pay the bear minimum while making you pickup the pieces that management failed to collect. Had 2 shop foremen and one refused to be help to anyone and made others do his work for him all while taking in the hours. He gets paid the hourly guy gets paid. Win win right? Wrong. Not saying this is the corporations fault but its taking money from their own pocket when they're paying a person to work hourly while they also pay the technician the amount of time for the job. If you dont care about getting more than minimum wage and would like to be timed doing jobs, told how fast you have to work, be blamed for things you havent done, be critisized by a group of hypocrites, have to sign contracts to abide by their rules. Then by all means this is the job for you.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
One awful shop foreman, tyrannic coworkers, poor management
Good staff atmosphere, kept busy
Sales assosiate (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 26, 2016
Customers come first, helped answer questions and relocate customers to the correct department.
Learned about retail, how it works and the system behind it.
Didn't get treated very well by management, loved all co-workers and never had a problem working with fellow associates.
Decent
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABMay 26, 2016
I wouldnt be a life long employee. Store owners vary from store to store. Most store owners arent very nice and dont know what they are doing. Lack of training depending on store.
Fun and convenient place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
A worked in the garden center as an associate and cashier with responsibilities such as cleaning, taking care of the plants, customer service, and inventory. I learned a lot about plants and gardening, but even more about customer service and people skills. My managers were kind yet at times disorganized, and I worked with many amazing people. The hardest part of my job was having to work outside everyday in Calgary weather, yet it was also one of the best parts. Also just being in an enjoyable work place.
Pros
kind people, doing what I love.
Cons
long hours, disorganized management.
Productive and fun work place
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 26, 2016
Great place to work in. Experienced in Cashier work as well as Stocking products to the right locations. Able to use the Auto Parts desk computers to look up products for customers.
Enjoyed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
• Processed orders efficiently and accurately
• Computed and record totals of transactions
• Maintained clean and orderly checkout areas
vary good place of empoylment
instailer (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SKMay 26, 2016
I have work with vary good people when I was at Canadian tire in Yorkton and I would like to work in the Saskatoon store moving out that way soon
Hard work, but valuable experience
Retail Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
- A great company to learn some of the ins and outs of customer service. Canadian Tire has provided me with the opportunity to take my interpersonal and management skills and sharpen them exponentially.
- You can expect to work quite hard here but the discipline that this work instills makes the hard work that you have to put in worth it.
Great Co-op Experience
Technical Specialist Co-op (4 Month Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2016
I worked as a co-op student for four months and it was a great opportunity to experience how a large company functions. I learned a lot about their values and what matters most in my chosen field.
Good
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 25, 2016
Flexible hours, great work/life balance, great team members and hardworking staff. Opportunities to be challenged in new areas.
Pros
Profit-Sharing
I enjoyed working here.
Hardware Department Manager- Canadian Tire (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONMay 25, 2016
The job was substantial enough to keep me working through my childrens' years of growing up. The work was satisfying and I was able to advance within the retail location. I am now looking at retirement in 10 to 15 years and felt I needed different training to work an office job so I decided to take a year to go back to college.
Productive.
House Ware Department (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMay 25, 2016
Typical day at work: Assisting customer's, and co workers. Making labels. Quick Pick List. Signage. Putting away stock. Merchandising. Clean work area. Cashier. What I learned: My strengths, and weaknesses. Management: (Store Manager) is bitter, rigid, unfair, and abusive to staff. Co-workers: The best team I ever worked with. The hardest part of the job: Harassment from store manager. What I disliked: The constant monitoring of what I said, what I did, where I was, at all times from manager's. What I enjoyed: From my customer's: talk, listen, find what they needed, and getting to know them. From co-workers: Our friendships, fun, and laughter.
Pros
Complements from my supervisor's on a job well done. Spending time with co-workers during break time, and lunch.
Cons
Lack of respect, and unappreciated.
Fun outgoing workplace
Installer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops British ColumbiaMay 25, 2016
I have furthered my knowledge in the automotive field working for this company with help from the great employees that I have worked with over the past year and a half. The environment always put off a joyful vibe and made work very enjoyable.
Pros
Great work Environment
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABMay 25, 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
decent job, terrible management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work included stocking shelves, customer service and all other basic retail service responsibilities.
Co-workers were all lazy, incompetent and weak. They all made me do half of their jobs for them and would complain to management behind my back when I would make an honest mistake. All Canadian tire stores are independently owned, so this does not speak for the whole corporation. I was supposed to be working garden centre but due to my fellow employee's incompetence I rarely got to complete my assigned tasks as I was constantly busy finishing theirs for them. Management had it in for me the moment i spoke to a girl he liked and tried terminating me every moment after that. Thus ensued the 'his word against my word' situation. I honestly felt like I was in highschool at this place. Overall not a nice place to work (Paris location)
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
A lack of maturity, and selfish co workers
Good products, good innovations, good atmosphere
Canadian Tire Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBMay 24, 2016
Canadian Tire Corporation offers benefits and profit sharing to staff of a certain length of tenure. Safety policies and on-line training is available, though some is only available at the store which means spending off-time at work without remuneration.

However, there is room for advancement and moving among departments.
Pros
friendly fellow staff
Cons
need full time hours
Fun if you have friends to work with, hours aren't the best
Stock Person, Sales (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 24, 2016
Long hours always on your feet. I learned how to face items, report damaged items, find items using a hand-held scanner, locate items up high on top shelves using a ladder, creating price tags and labels. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers who happened to be friends from school. The hardest part was that my feet and legs would become so sore. Very short shifts during the weekdays if you are a student (4 - 4.5 hours). Only long shifts available for students are on weekends (8 hours).
Pros
Fun if your friends are there to keep you company while you work
Cons
Always on your feet
Accountability
CTC Trainer Palletflow/Caseflow Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 23, 2016
Management needs to be held accountable for misguided practices and for power tripping crew leads. Some crew leads need sensitivity training and re-training on being human