Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,688 reviews matching the search
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 6, 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day
A big box company that doesn't care for its employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2016
I worked as a cashier for the company for 2 years and never received anything from them. Not a promotion or recognition for my hard work. The hours were awful and management was not considerate of personal life and time needed outside of work. Working part-time when I was hired they would give me full-time hours during the busy times of the year and no hours in the slow times. I finished school and they wouldn't let me work full-time or apply for benefits, I didn't even have access to my pay stubs. The store was over run with immature 16 year old high school students and no one was sufficiently trained leading to a high turn over rate. It was difficult working in this environment with very poor communication between co-workers and a disorganized work place.
Great work place, terrible owner.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
The job itself was great. My direct manager was very good at running the shop, and working around the staffs busy lives. Everyone got the hours they needed. He was always held back from offering what he wanted to for his staff because of the owner. The owner only cared for his bottom line and not anyone who worked for him or his customers. We raised customer retention while I was there. We also ran a more honest shop, not pushing services our customers didn't always need, which kept them happier and returning and more trusting of our operation.
Pros
Good Staff
Cons
Terrible Owner.
co workers are great, management and store owner ruin the job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCFebruary 1, 2016
store owner was miserable and had no problem with making everyone in the store miserable as well. management was often not on the same page. Reviews were often skipped and pay was rarely raised...unless you mentioned it over and over and over. Favoritism was also not uncommon in this store. My co workers were great though and made it bearable. I am sure there are great Canadian tire stores all over the place, however the store owner in Nanaimo ruins the job.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
store owner, management often gave conflicting instructions.
Not a good welcoming work environment to be apart of
Senior Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The management is lacking severely. They do not help their student employees balance their schedules around school and they have no benefits that recognize their good employees. Always a fight about getting a day off for appointments ect..

They take 2$ off of every pay and you rarely see any benefit from the staff fund.

Not a very happy, welcoming environment to be apart of..
Cons
Poor management.
Fast-paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMarch 12, 2016
Work itself was satisfying, great customers, your hours were cut in the winter months, unprofessional management, and scheduling was always a problem, only had one company raise.
Pros
great co-workers, friendly customers
Cons
poor management, bad scheduling, cut hours, no salary increase
Horrible management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Malton, ONFebruary 5, 2016
The company makes sure there will never be a union. 10 hour shifts and you still don't bring home $400 a week. The supervisors make $37.00 an hour to sit at a desk and do nothing.
Pros
Good Cafeteria, built in Tim Hortons
Cons
No benefits, Low pay, lazy supervisors, season shift cuts, no chance of direct hire, long hours, redundant rules, confounding processes
Great experience with little to no advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  1100 Kerr St, Oakville, ONNovember 23, 2015
Working at Canadian Tire has taught me different skills such as paint mixing, key cutting, hardware and auto knowledge as well as customer experience and inventory experience. My co-workers were great and the management was friendly and flexible with my schedule. At times the job could become stressful because of the heavy traffic of customers and the need to do a few things at once.
Pros
Great work environment, good managers and an enjoyable place to learn customer service.
Cons
Could be stressful at times, low wage, few benefits and a large turnover rate.
Fun place to work
Floor Associate - Sports (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONMarch 22, 2016
A typical day included helping customers, stocking shelves, and filling orders. I had a good experience with all the managers, they were always very friendly and helpful. I don't have any complaints about my co-workers, I made a lot of new friends.
Pros
The people
Cons
Compensation
Great place to be at to follow
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Everyone is friendly with the exception of politics where teams do not get along with one another, limits what and when something can be achieved.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
politics, management, cross teams do not get along
Always new challenges with co-operative and engaging personnel.
Controller Fuelco/Mgr Corp Acct & Systems (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- typical day was always being able to ask yourself, " how can I make this process/work flow better".
- learned how to holistically look at starting a finance department for a company and integrate it's operations into the larger parent company.
- management was willing to give the freedom needed to risk and fail while providing guidance when needed.
- the people were devoted, caring and yet demanding... a perfect learning environment. Long term employees abound in this company because of its culture.
- keeping up with the lightening fast changes can sometimes be a challenge.
- the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that there were no silos and that it was truly a team environment.
Pros
Involving employees with the many sponsorships and charities it supported
Cons
Managers and AVPs are long term leaving little chance of advancement.
laid back but long hours
Floater (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
easy going management that is to get along with, however 10 hour days get tiresome and some people get irritating to work with as with any workplace.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
many cancelled shifts
Lovely Workplace, seeing new people
Financial Advisor JWR (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 27, 2015
Its about Customer Services. How we greet customers, help them to get what they want, approach potential clients, explain the benefits of the membership cards, explain the promotions in the store.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Hard Targets, Long hours standing
very nice to work for
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Stephen, NBFebruary 12, 2016
liked working there very fast pace environment loved working with customers and trouble shooting problems.learned alot about dealing with public and fueling there needs.
benefits
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
it was a good experience they gave lots of good benefits. they helped a lot with working with my schedule. they are very good at training as well.
Welcoming, family-like environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONJanuary 21, 2016
My position was known as a warehouse associate/ filler/ fill crew. During my short time at Canadian tire, I learned how to use the scanning gun in order to maintain the inventory system put in place. Typically I would recieve a list that included shelf locations in the warehouse that had items in which the inventory system had deemed able to fit on the shelves in the main store. I would collect as many of these items as possible and go out to the floor to stock them. Sometimes I would work from the store to the warehouse using the scanner to create my own list from items that were low in stock or out of stock on the shelves of the store. Then I would go to the warehouse and collect all of those items, usually in multiple trips. Management was very helpful and offered me training oppertunities so I could get to know the store better and they also helped me learn how to use the computer systems so I could be of better service to customers. The hardest part of the job was customerservice as that was considered a secondary role for my job title and I had little product knowledge at the beginning. With the help of my coworkers and managers quickly became an easy part of my job. My favourite part of working at Canadian Tire was the praise I recieved for working quickly and efficiently from my manager. I enjoyed checking off my list and comparing the amount of items to the previous days work. This position requires someone who is responsible, self motivated and hardworking as there are many ways the filler will use the inventory system that affects the overall efficiency of the entire  more... store.  less
Pros
Free lunch when profit goals were met
Cons
Not a lot of time spent with customers
Productive with a good workplace atmosphere and management - employee / employee - employee relations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Typical Day:
- Conferencing with team
- Conferencing with management
- Establishing a daily routine / plan
Work Details:
Inventory, customer interaction, database inquiries, warehouse management, heavy lifting

What I Learned:
How to interact with diverse and occasionally irate people, how to lead and contribute to a team, workplace interactions and safety.

Coworkers and Management:
Effectively organized and ran, workplace environment cleanly and friendly

Hardest Part of Job:
Repetition

Most Enjoyable Aspect:
Getting paid to help people day to day.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding management, welcoming atmosphere
Cons
Minimal opportunity for advancement, low wage, repetative
Great career and family feel
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
Ideal environment to learn from retail leader and grow the business. Geared towards budding talent and proven results professionals. Benefits are hard to beat. Great work life balance. Work from home possible. Multiple locations to work from.
Pros
Innovative development, best in class persona, great benefits.
Cons
Hierarchy driven culture
I loved it!
Management Team ~ Hardware Housewares Mgr (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Canadian Tire for me was something that shaped who I am and what I do. I was given the training and encouragement to progress from Sales Clerk to Supervisor to Manager. Along the way I met great people, learned how to fix just about anything, and was never bored. And I got all the best deals on tools and car parts!

I will say though, it really depends on the individual store's dealer (owner) and management team. I was lucky enough to work with very intelligent, motivated and fair people. I owe a debt of gratitude to the dealer of our Victoria store, who not only helped me succeed, but who also continued his support while I moved overseas.

I will definitely be looking for more opportunities at Canadian Tire in the near future.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Training, Advancement
Cons
Working at Canadian Tire is not an enlightening experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
I always gave my best efforts to please a customer and fulfill their needs. I learned there are many different types of people, some with knowledge about what they need and how to use a product, others with very little experience needing my assistance and advise. There are too many managers and not enough sales staff. I was able to train new staff, showing them the proper means of connecting with a customer. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance between your life and the hours you work. There is no set schedule and you were never sure when your shifts were. I enjoy working with customers to make sure they have everything they need for a project and the knowledge to perform the tasks involved.
Pros
Company Profit Sharing
Cons
Long hours with irregular shifts.