Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd

Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Found 1,999 reviews matching the search
Fullfilling job, enjoyed being of service to customers
Sales Associate$ (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 January 2017
The job included, not only serving customers, but also maintaining stock levels on the sales floor, general cleaning duties. I also enjoyed very much working closely with mechanics.
I did learn an awful lot about car parts and what different accessories were for.
Management was alright for the most part. Dealers were a little different. Once I reached a managers position I worked very hard, once I was told what my salary would be, it was a terrible disappointment.
For most part my co-workers were awesome, helpful when I did not know anything about cars, and great when I was more seasoned.
The hardest part of the work was lifting batteries from the shelves, it is difficult whet you have to reach higher for a heavy item.
The best part of the job was enjoying to see a satisfied customer and the interactions with most of the staff.
Pros
Good customer relations
Cons
Pay not not quite relative to job responsibilities
A family-like atmosphere for the most part
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - count till to ensure correct, sign in, deal with customers with sales and returns, sell hunting/fishing licenses, as well as schedule breaks for all staff. During slow times I was being trained to merchandise and stock shelves, do price changes, count outages, etc

Management - General Manager was awesome, couldn't ask for a better manager. Owner was "too present" at times and wasn't always friendly to customers or staff.

Co-workers - for the most part they were really friendly and helpful when teaching new concepts.

Hardest part of the job - not getting paid for the full time I was working and having to wait for a full year for benefits that weren't that great.

Most enjoyable part of the job - customers, learning new skills, doing a job well
Pros
Received hours as promised, friendly staff, decent wage, willing to train you in different areas
Cons
Takes a year before you receive benefits, not being paid for time spent counting your till before and after shift
Very little regard given to staff commitment or development
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2016
CDN Tire is a franchise operation which results in frequent management/owner changes. Unfortunately it can be difficult adjusting to these changes. It appears that the trend is to hire part time students at minimum wage without benefits.
Pros
Vehicle service discounts
Cons
No salary increases. normal to go 2-3 years or longer without
Amazing Company
Asset Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON7 January 2017
School of teaching and training
Room for advancement
Diversified workforce and leadership
Great employee benefits program
Strong service and support
Pros
Strong Corporate Culture
Cons
Salary could be more competitive
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2016
I learned a lot of thing in this job like handling customers to give a good service for them. it is good to work here meeting nice people and being friendly with my co-workers. The hardest part of the work is lifting heavy things for some customers but the most enjoyable part of the job is they appreciate your hard work.
Pros
nice people to meet and talk with
Cons
low salary
exciting andchallenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  windsor ,ON13 December 2016
evry day had chance to meet new people and face to face interaction helped to builup contacts.each day was challenging in achiving the targets required by the company
Pros
good salary
Cons
no job security
disorganized
Tire/Lube tech (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB3 July 2016
a typical day of work was to come in tidy the shop while waiting for a list from management of the daily tasks he/she would like completed for the day. the tasks could be anything from my job title of tire and lube technician. to service/parts writer, to stock boy, to maintence or janitorial duties through the store, to a builder of large stock items to custom pieces of equipment to fit what purpose would be needed in the store. I loved that there was only the journeyman and myself in the shop, it allowed me to go way past the position of being a tire/lube tech, aswell hoping that it would also earn my way to the position of my apprenticeship (after receiving my new journeyman).
The reason for my leave from Canadian tire was due to no benefits after 2 years, no apprenticeship, aswell the management being so disorganised, dysfunctional and creating several arguments with not only the staff but the customers, As I did not want to build my name and reputation in an environment such as that and took on the statistics Canada position full time and have had a blast ever since.
Pros
tonnes of 1 on 1 and hands on exspierence
Cons
no benefits, no apprenticeship after 1.5 years
Student environment job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC15 January 2017
Worth a try as a student job. Plenty of students are employed some of who are nice. Management is a little strict with employee benefits. However, it is a good start as a student.
good work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC13 January 2017
good work environment, unfortunately it is a minimum wage job with no substantial raises. Good learning experience working in the hardware department.
service writer
Service Writer/Parts Department (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC12 December 2016
Service Writer, I very much enjoyed this job, but due to poor salary I went back to school, I loved working around cars and the people I worked with were very knowledgeable.
Pros
working with highly knowledgeable staff
Cons
poor salary
lots of daily tasks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2016
bad management
rude employees
new and returning customers
no benefits
high staff turnover
low compensation
too much work drama
no advancement
Pros
Usually busy
Cons
bad management, too much drama
Overall Canadian Tire is a great place to work...
DEPARTMENT MANAGER / ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB28 June 2016
Over the years Canadian Tire has evolved with the times, it is a fast paced exciting enviroment... The best part of the job is the interactions with not only the customers but with the staff themselves. I have put in many long hours over the years but always see the fruits of my labors.
Pros
Benefits were good, profit sharing
Cons
Many long hours, not getting stat days.
Great place to work if you love working with people!
PARTS ADVISOR/SERVICE WRITER (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB25 May 2016
If you are willing to work, be dependable, apply yourself and learn new things, there is a great amount of knowledge you can acquire, and usually room for advancement. The pay was good, benefits were good, no shortage of hours available to those who would work them. The management I worked for were great people, who put pride into their work, and pushed us to as well.
Pros
Great staff, Birthday lunches
Cons
No-shows/working short-staffed
Great people
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 January 2017
Canadian Tire financial has offered far more benefits and coverage to their part-time employees but they lack the hours to keep staff happy.
Pros
benefits even if your parttime
Cons
not enough hours
Fun work place very productive
Wearhouse personnel (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON30 November 2016
All in all a great place to work great benefits and future plans , only down side was the wages.
Would recommend everyone to get involved with canadian tire.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Pay rate
good show
Technician (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON5 October 2016
Canadian tire is a place where you can start from the bottom and with hard work can work your way to the top with raises and job security, would work for again
Good Environment to have a first job.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON13 April 2016
CT is a great place to have a first job, I work in a fast pace area that requires multi-tasking. I do returns, cash purchases,stock shelves, and simple household cleaning. I also train all the new cashiers hired at the store. I have learned lots in regards to working with people, I learned how to become very well at multi-tasking, and I learned to work well in a team environment. Management is good, they are very easy to work with and are considerate when needing help with time off, assisting with bad situations with customers etc. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance everything at once. You have returns, regular cash, the phones ringing as well as the cashiers asking you questions which makes it difficult because there is so much going on at one time.
Pros
Meeting lots of new people, creating great friendships.
Cons
Not enough hours. I feel I should be paid a little more for the load of work I do, You get a 10 cent raise if you work over 1200 hours a year, which is not often.
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2016
A good job to start off in. As a part - time worker there are no benefits or wage increases. Provides good customer service experience . Many Canadian Tire locations
Fun productive work place.
Automotive parts technician (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 October 2016
I am not shy when it comes to working extra hours, but it's sad to say that my current position that I'm working deos not pay enough. Which has put me back on the job hunt
Pros
Everyone is very friendly
Cons
Salary is not enough
Good place to work if you're a corporate lover
Web Designer (eLearning) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2016
A great place to work if you're into corporate culture. There are some fairly good benefits, but don't expect the greatest "competitive" salaries. CT boasts about 7.5 hr work days, but your days are 8.5 hrs long due to an hour unpaid lunch (not worth it imo). Management can be good or bad, depending on where you are. They struggle with getting rid of poor performers however.

I do love the flexible hours and being a part of a smaller department, which is fairly close-knit. They're continuously hiring younger people so it feels more like a young company and not so old-school. I love all the sports partnerships and the involvement in the community.
Pros
flexible hours, profit sharing
Cons
8.5 work day